Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

drat, guess I am lucky all I am getting is occasional stuttering and freezeups, I've always been able to power cycle the thing without bricking it. Though if it powers on at all try accessing the web page on port 8080, if that's still working you can download the logs from there.

Got the Samba shares working and I'm pretty drat impressed with the quality. I only had one video that stutters and I got some Blood Bowl videos that really look nice and readable in 720p. Hell, the thing even manages to play the audio off of .wtv files, which surprised the hell out of me given it's that proprietary Windows Media Center format. Of course the video didn't work but I'm thinking someone smarter would be able to fix that up with some sort of tweak. You can also turn on Windows file sharing on the Boxee itself, so you can move files freely over your network between any storage you plugged in and your computer. Pretty drat nice.

It's been a long time since I looked at XBMC apps so I just discovered the Navi-X thing, it's worth taking a look at that app just for the sheer amount of stuff people post on it. Just go into the pop-over guide screen, pick Apps then Repositories, and enter in https://www.navi-x.org/boxee as a new item (go up to the plus icon). If you sign up on http://navix.turner3d.net you can set up your own playlists too, so you can slap your own RSS feeds in there. At least it seems to me like Navi-X handles RSS way better than the Boxee's built in RSS app. I even put my Google Reader feed in there and it sent me to the web page when I clicked on a news story in the list. Of course if you don't want to share that poo poo to the world make sure to check the private checkbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Strange issue occurred last night. Was watching the newest episode of Dexter (HD) and the episode stopped to pause at the exact same moments throughout the show. I would rewind, let it buffer, and it would still do the second long pause to queue. It's as if there was something that the episode told Boxee to buffer here.

Annoyed my wife, otherwise I wouldn't care. =/

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

CrashCat posted:

Got the Samba shares working and I'm pretty drat impressed with the quality.

What did you do that ended up working? I have the same problem, but everything I try turns out to be a complete failure

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LiquidFusion posted:

What did you do that ended up working? I have the same problem, but everything I try turns out to be a complete failure
I couldn't access any of my shares until I uninstalled live 2011. :( I liked the sync program. Awesome for remotely starting linux ISO torrents by syncing a local folder to a utorrent watched folder.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LiquidFusion posted:

Uninstall Windows Live Essentials. Then it'll try installing Windows Live ID Assistant or some poo poo like that, you need to uninstall that too. Live Sync still shows on the list (even though I never used it) so you may be able to get away with putting that one in, it may only be the Passport poo poo that screws with guest access. The guest user needs to be enabled if it's not. Also use the simple sharing, right click a folder and hit share with, specific people, choose Everyone from the dropdown at the top and add, then confirm the dialog box.

It randomly stopped working on me at one point but that Live ID helper seemed to be the culprit, even without rebooting to finish uninstall it just magically started working again after getting rid of that crap. I don't know why Live ID is messing with file sharing anyway, that's some :tinfoil: poo poo right there.

Also reiterating to get the Navi-X thing, drat there is so much media posted on that it's scary.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie
Quick question for you all that have a Boxee box.

Does it support Blu-ray navigation?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SatanX posted:

Quick question for you all that have a Boxee box.

Does it support Blu-ray navigation?

No. That requires licensing.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

No. That requires licensing.

Bah, I was really hoping that they would have had it.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal
A thread over at AVS mentions the Boxee CEO has said Blu-ray menus will be supported, for what that's worth.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

pimpslap posted:

A thread over at AVS mentions the Boxee CEO has said Blu-ray menus will be supported, for what that's worth.

That would be nice. I was looking for something for my sister. I didnt want to buy another c-200, looking for something a little cheaper.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Had my box for a few days, overall I'm happy with it. It replaced a desktop and I'm pretty sad that spending $200 caused me to no long be able to view netflix or hulu but fingers crossed on that.

Occasionally I get a prompt for a username and password to access my Windows XP shares which were working perfect moments before that. Rebooting the boxee fixes the issue. I also have an AVI that crashes the box.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The drat Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant keeps reinstalling itself. I think Pidgin is to blame since I have an MSN account on there, and it gave me an error when I stopped that service (though it didn't fix the sharing again until I uninstalled the program). So yeah, until they update the version of Samba on your box you'll have to choose between Boxee and MSN. To be fair it was a version update from this year so it's not like they're horrifyingly out of date, just months out of date.

Also if you want to telnet in and poke around the box (and break it if you're a dummyhead):

http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/TelnetD

I get Siteadvisor warnings on that site but it just looks like a plain old wiki to me, so I'm not sure what the beef is.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The osx disconnect bug has been fixed according to their bug tracker. Should be in next update.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How rude! On sale for $180!

http://dealnews.com/Boxee-Box-HD-Media-Player-by-D-Link-for-180-free-shipping/406265.html

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
If Boxee wants to make money, they need to start selling that remote separately. It's pretty freakin' slick, right? Could they sell it for an attractive price point? What communication does it work off of?

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

CrashCat posted:

Uninstall Windows Live Essentials. Then it'll try installing Windows Live ID Assistant or some poo poo like that, you need to uninstall that too. Live Sync still shows on the list (even though I never used it) so you may be able to get away with putting that one in, it may only be the Passport poo poo that screws with guest access. The guest user needs to be enabled if it's not. Also use the simple sharing, right click a folder and hit share with, specific people, choose Everyone from the dropdown at the top and add, then confirm the dialog box.

It randomly stopped working on me at one point but that Live ID helper seemed to be the culprit, even without rebooting to finish uninstall it just magically started working again after getting rid of that crap. I don't know why Live ID is messing with file sharing anyway, that's some :tinfoil: poo poo right there.

Also reiterating to get the Navi-X thing, drat there is so much media posted on that it's scary.

Thanks, the culprit turned out to be Windows Live ID Assistant. Funny thing is it stopped working this morning, and I haven't had time to look into why. I wonder if it reinstalled itself like you are suggesting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

XboxPants posted:

If Boxee wants to make money, they need to start selling that remote separately. It's pretty freakin' slick, right? Could they sell it for an attractive price point? What communication does it work off of?

It's RF, and they're said they eventually plan on selling it seperately.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BorderPatrol posted:

http://www.jr.com/dlink/pe/DLK_DSM22/

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BorderPatrol posted:

I hope they invest in some glow in the dark paint or something before they do. Or at least move the drat bottom row of keys back to the proper place, I am used to thumbtyping with it one over so I typo that row constantly on the remote. Bah, I'll probably just get one of those Rii keyboard/trackpad things they have been blabbing about on the Boxee forum.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Yeah, at this point there's three things that would make the remote perfect. It's pretty nifty right now but it definitely could use staggered key rows like a normal keyboard. The front side also needs to be made non-symmetrical because I hi t the play button instead of the list button way too drat much, and the d-pad would be amazing as a gesture-based touchpad with a click button. The iphone app does it exactly that way, but using it as a touchpad in the browser would be a godsend.

Kaf
Mar 20, 2005

This thread is dyn-o-mite!
So I gave my Boxee Box an honest shot, but I think I'll be bringing it back to FutureShop tomorrow.

This new interface is just too terrible and cumbersome. Particularly since I was looking for something that was really good at local playback.

I don't care about this internet streaming stuff so much, and it's even worse being in Canada. The small selection of things I would watch, like episodes of the Daily Show on the Comedy Network, just open the webpage and do not automatically fullscreen. I have to use the d-pad to try and navigate the cursor over the fullscreen button so I can click it.

And the remote isn't as good as I expected. As mentioned in the thread, the no backlight or even glow-in-the-dark print is a bummer. And there's not enough in the way of playback buttons on the other side, like fast-forward.

I know the dev team is aware of a lot of the issues and are working to fix them, but I don't think I want to wait out a bunch of patches to get something usable. Plus I just found a refurbished Revo 3610 online for only $40 more. Going to put Linux+XBMC on that, and it should suit me a lot better than the Boxee Box.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I really don't get what people are complaining about in regards to local content. You have a most popular tab that includes all of the most popular shows watched. Your local files are included here. You have a favorites tab. Your local files? Included here, too. And finally, you have a dedicated local media only tab. The only issue is that the software doesn't remember your last viewed tab yet.

EDIT: There's also the lack of a frequent scanning option, but that should be fixed in the next release.

ThinkFear fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 22, 2010

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well, the main problem is all that stuff you mentioned is hidden under the back/menu button after you go into something else. None of it is accessible under those nice friendly buttons at the main screen and the software makes no effort to educate you on it. For a box that tries to be a little more non-techie friendly that kind of stuff is bad.

Some controls to expand a flash movie on a page to full screen at will and possibly control which flash movies actually load and run would both be nice. Of course a full-screen-ify button would probably need another remote button and they've cornered themselves on that one. Even simple zoom controls would help as far as arrowing over and trying to hit that usually tiny fullscreen button on the flash movie itself. As far as web browsers go, other than having support for a later version of Flash, the Boxee browser is less feature-rich than the Wii.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Well, the main problem is all that stuff you mentioned is hidden under the back/menu button after you go into something else. None of it is accessible under those nice friendly buttons at the main screen and the software makes no effort to educate you on it. For a box that tries to be a little more non-techie friendly that kind of stuff is bad.

Some controls to expand a flash movie on a page to full screen at will and possibly control which flash movies actually load and run would both be nice. Of course a full-screen-ify button would probably need another remote button and they've cornered themselves on that one. Even simple zoom controls would help as far as arrowing over and trying to hit that usually tiny fullscreen button on the flash movie itself. As far as web browsers go, other than having support for a later version of Flash, the Boxee browser is less feature-rich than the Wii.

The browser was never meant for web browsing, simply as a fallback for flash content.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Don Lapre posted:

The browser was never meant for web browsing, simply as a fallback for flash content.
Yeah, and I understand that. At the same time it's a terrible copout, especially if it doesn't work well for getting to that flash content. Makes me wish I knew enough to make my own apps.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Non techies generally don't have terabytes of local media on a nas. That is likely why they made the Shows button go directly to Most Popular. However, they have spoken of correcting that to respect the user's preference. Hopefully by the next release. My understanding of the "hidden menu" is that it is really the heart of the interface. (In the beta, it even had neat little shortcuts to your favorite apps.) Especially now that the social aspects of the software are no longer on the home screen. Really, the home screen is just a pretty page for when the box boots.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ThinkFear posted:

Non techies generally don't have terabytes of local media on a nas. That is likely why they made the Shows button go directly to Most Popular. However, they have spoken of correcting that to respect the user's preference. Hopefully by the next release. My understanding of the "hidden menu" is that it is really the heart of the interface. (In the beta, it even had neat little shortcuts to your favorite apps.) Especially now that the social aspects of the software are no longer on the home screen. Really, the home screen is just a pretty page for when the box boots.
Most non-techies don't know enough to get a boxee box or the like. As one of those people who do have a multi-TB NAS, I'm glad the option to switch from web->NAS as primary is getting put in. I'd like to see netflix, but nothing else is relevant (to me).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Here are the bug fixes coming in the new update.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22906

Media Playback
1080i playback in Web browser caused black screens for Web and local content
Some HD .avi content playing at low frames-per-second
Failure to seek in specific Blu-Ray .iso over network share
Case sensitivity issues in .iso filename extension
Stuttering while playing some Blu-Ray content
No video, audio only while playing some .m4v content
Failure to render .rear end subtitles after changing overscan settings
Failure in opening .rar files containining subtitles
Playback and overscan issues when switching to and from fullscreen of online content
Rear channels on AAC 5.1 are not played properly w/ LPCM 5.1 out
Flash video audio drops out after ~1 hour in long length online videos
Select subtitles from hard-drive screen does not work

Wireless Connectivity
Wireless signal levels display (showing one bar when in fact 3 bars should be displayed)
Missing WiFi encryption schemes
First time WiFi setup takes excessive time

Network Shares
Repeated credentials request for non-secure network shares (SMB)
Unable to access network share when Window Live is installed on Windows 7
Intermittent crashes when failing to open networked media
Frequent disconnects from Mac OS X network shares (SMB)

Other
Empty screen appears when filtering shows by Channels > TED, Engadget, when geo lock is enabled
Faulty DNS configuration when using VPN causing a Boxee network disconnect
Leave/stay prompt shows up multiple times for some online content
Web browser screen size was wrong, not compensating for overscan
"Resume from" does not always show
Browser Loading progress bar does not go away
Weather location and timezone are not always set up correctly

And here is what has been added and improved:
Support .mkv with header compression
Support switching from PC black level to video black level
Default overscan is now 3% on top and left and 6% on right and bottom
Add a global subtitles toggle, set to off by default
Support for showing password for Wireless connections
Support for reporting HDMI/HDCP handshake status

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Big update, nice to see they're trying to get this up to snuff ASAP. I got the boxee to play some of my media off an external drive. So far been doing a pretty well job minus some bugs I noticed. I emailed Avner about these issues and links to the files so they can test them out. The guy emailed me back with in hours ( I emailed at like 1am and got a reply the next morning). That's pretty awesome service.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
So far, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase. The only bug that I've noticed -- when turning subtitles off, the audio stream gets dropped and the file needs to be restarted -- is minor, and should be irrelevant once the global setting is implemented.

As for the location of local content -- big deal? So, I have to go to Files --> Shows or Files --> Movies. And this too will be resolved shortly. 99% of my content was correctly identified (everything is cleanly named Movie Name (Year).mkv).

For $199, this thing is awesome. And I'm sure that it won't be too long before somebody figures out how to put XBMC on there, maybe even "dual boot" (in quotes because it probably wouldn't really be dual booting in the strictest sense of the word) boxee and XBMC.

Anybody have any word on when that might happen? I haven't been following the scene about that.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Well, I had a Boxee box arrive today (Not for me, christmas gift, but since i have to set it up...).

ISOs stutter (my collection is mostly bluray and dvd iso's). I'm hoping this is just from the scanning (still doing my music).

Bluray iso support - It doesnt seem to go for the biggest file (like the WD live tv), it goes for the first. Hopefully they do add navigation (*hugs C-200*).

Seems to pick the lowest audio format - I checked off all the audio formats that my receiver can reproduce. It will go for stereo first, then DD. I have to bumb it up to True-HD, etc....

This has some nice potential, especially after reading the patch notes.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Quick question.

My box keeps rebooting after a min or two. Am I missing something?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Other than during updating, my box has never rebooted itself.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mine has crashed and rebooted when I tried scanning something it didn't like. Go into the options and remove your sources and see if it calms down, then try to trace it to which share is making it blow up.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

CrashCat posted:

Mine has crashed and rebooted when I tried scanning something it didn't like. Go into the options and remove your sources and see if it calms down, then try to trace it to which share is making it blow up.

I took the scanning out, Bluray ISO constantly cache.....when is the patch coming?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well that one you stumped me on, I am far too lazy to have any Bluray files anyway. The actual forum post said "The version is currently in testing, and if all is well in the next couple of days, you will receive it as an automatic software update" so... yeah, I expect it in about a month :v:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want to get a boxee. Currently, I have a usb harddrive that I plug into my samsung blu-ray player. I put the files from my laptop onto the harddrive, then unplug the cord, plug it into the blu-ray and cross my fingers that it will play.

What would the best way be to have say, a 1TB storage of music and videos that I can download and get onto the storage, without having to worry about swapping about usb cords etc. I don't know much about networked media. Any advice would be appreciated.

Basically I just want a shopping list for when I head over to best buy later.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

jonathan posted:

I want to get a boxee. Currently, I have a usb harddrive that I plug into my samsung blu-ray player. I put the files from my laptop onto the harddrive, then unplug the cord, plug it into the blu-ray and cross my fingers that it will play.

What would the best way be to have say, a 1TB storage of music and videos that I can download and get onto the storage, without having to worry about swapping about usb cords etc. I don't know much about networked media. Any advice would be appreciated.

In theory, you should be able to plug the hard drive directly into your Boxee via USB. It'll show up as a SMB shared drive, and you'll be able to transfer files onto it from your laptop.

There are currently problems with that (certain drives aren't recognized, Windows 7 has SMB sharing issues up the rear end, and some Mac users experience frequent disconnects, the share recognizes the boxee free space instead of the HD free space...). Apparently the upcoming patch should resolve most of those issues, at which point it should be a really smooth and simple process for you. But right now it's not totally a guarantee.

If I were you, I'd pick up the box and try it out. If it doesn't work, hold off till the patch, if it still doesn't work, return the Box.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I think I would get one of these if they had a SATA connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

jonathan posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-easyStore-AH342-U2T2H-Server/dp/B003KTN672/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Seriously. 2TB with 3 empty bays. WHS is really nice. The investment is worth it.

• Locked thread