Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Don Lapre posted:

The box comes with 1.0 software. 1.0 for win/mac/linux will be out 1q 2011

I am very curious to see what the retail software has, compared to the current downloads.

I love Boxee's way of applications (blows XBMC's archaic format out of the water), but I'd love to see them expand on views/UI enhancements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I remember hearing that you will be able to load XBMC onto the BB.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Eccles posted:

Someone please tell me why I should want this. I've run the PC version and am less than impressed. I don't have any locally stored content to play (I can put the disc in the DVD player, thank you very much, if I want to watch one of my movies), and could not care less about the social aspect, having no friends. That leaves about three video podcasts that I enjoy watching every once in a while, which I can to on my PC. Am I simply not the target demographic for this thing, or am I missing something obvious?

One thing it's really good for is sorting through all the heaps of video content on the internet and finding the things that you would actually be interested in watching. I guarantee there are videos on the internet that you'd enjoy watching that you don't know about, and probably a lot of them; this is basically true for everyone. It's usually a pain just using youtube or google & a browser to try to find new, worthwhile content, so I can understand why you would have a "don't want to bother, I already have plenty of stuff to watch" for that method, but it really does make it so much easier, it shifts the risk/reward ratio so highly in your favor that it's almost foolish not to at least check it out a bit. Really that's just an argument for the Boxee software in general, not the box, though. But, hey, if you don't like the interface to begin with, yeah, it's probably not for you.

To go on a tangent, I think stuff like this is gonna get more and more popular. Tech is making it so much easier to make good media either by yourself or by finding other people to team up with, and manufacturing jobs & the like are getting harder and harder to come by, there are more and more people trying and succeeding to make a little extra money making webcomics or podcasts or games or whatever - blue collar artists, in a sense. But with such a deluge of content, services like Netflix's movie recommendations that can help match up each person with the 1% of the internet content that they want to see (and inversely can match up each product with the .1% of the audience that would be interested) are going to be massively successful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Playing with boxee software, just realized once i linked my facebook it shows all the videos my facebook friends post. Thats pretty awesome.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Don Lapre posted:

Playing with boxee software, just realized once i linked my facebook it shows all the videos my facebook friends post. Thats pretty awesome.

"Don Lapre is watching BREE OLSON SWALLOW CUMPILATION.WMV on Boxee Media Center."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TheScott2K posted:

"Don Lapre is watching BREE OLSON SWALLOW CUMPILATION.WMV on Boxee Media Center."

likes this :thumbsup:

alecm
Aug 20, 2004

Lorraine, I'm your density. I mean . . . your destiny.
The lack of a confirmed Netflix app is the only thing preventing me from preordering. My 360 is just so drat loud. Why isn't there more hype?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

alecm posted:

The lack of a confirmed Netflix app is the only thing preventing me from preordering. My 360 is just so drat loud. Why isn't there more hype?

D-links boxee site changed the other day and they listed netflix under apps, then it was promptly replaced with a list of apps without netflix.

So from this, you learn that either netflix is there but not ready to be announced yet, or someone doing the site wasn't paying attention at first and netflix is not going to be there.

In the end you know exactly as much/little as you did before.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

alecm posted:

Why isn't there more hype?

They used up all their hype when they missed their launch window by 6 months.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheScott2K posted:

This is why I won't link up my media consumption to Facebook. The last thing I need people (my mom) seeing is the movies my Wife and I choose to watch.

Awkward Thanksgiving anyone?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TraderStav posted:

This is why I won't link up my media consumption to Facebook. The last thing I need people (my mom) seeing is the movies my Wife and I choose to watch.

Not as awkward as that dude in GBS whose long lost sister turned out to be Kacey.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TraderStav posted:

It doesn't automatically post what you watch, only if you choose to share it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

DaWolfey posted:

There's a high chance that all the bugs have been fixed
Have you ever used software before? I'd say, make no promises.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Credit card has been charged, order being prepared for shipment!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Nice! Definitely looking forward to reviews of this thing, especially after the huge wait. I've been using a Revo loaded with XBMC for media playback which works really well, but it would be nice to have something that is more of a "set it and forget it" kind of thing and not something that requires a lot of tweeks.

Like someone else said, they lost a lot of steam with such a long drawn out product launch, but hopefully they really nailed it and this sells well. The more options the better...

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Credit card has been charged, order being prepared for shipment!

:woop: So stoked!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I would assume the NDAs get lifted today, and reviews should start appearing. That's assuming review units were available I guess. Anyone know?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

gently caress canada. Bestbuy in canada already has them on the shelf.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
NHL Gamecenter is going to be available on Boxee, that's pretty cool.

I may end up getting a box now, that's a nice feature being able to stream live games. I had the subscription last year but watching games on my laptop was underwhelming. Also a lot of games were blacked out that I wanted to watch - this might still be the case though.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

priznat posted:

NHL Gamecenter is going to be available on Boxee, that's pretty cool.

I may end up getting a box now, that's a nice feature being able to stream live games. I had the subscription last year but watching games on my laptop was underwhelming. Also a lot of games were blacked out that I wanted to watch - this might still be the case though.

I would assume they use the same rules as MLB At Bat (radio is always available, video not available for in market teams or nationally televised games).

Got my shipping confirmation from Amazon finally. Should be here on Friday.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

canyonero posted:

I would assume they use the same rules as MLB At Bat (radio is always available, video not available for in market teams or nationally televised games).

Yeah I think that's it. It sucks for me because I don't have cable anymore.

Wait a minute, does boxee work with justin.tv or atdhe.net? If so, instant buy. Googling this now.

edit: oh poo poo yes (would probably look like crap on the tv though)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I use ATDHE.net on my 27" LCD TV every weekend for NFL Red Zone, it's sufficient.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

New website up shows the 1.0 UI.

http://www.boxee.tv/

Looks like they are releasing browser plugins that allow you to click on a video file on your computer and save it to watch later on your boxee.

edit: this already exists on old boxee haha.

edit: new site is gone haha. Reverted back to old.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 10, 2010

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Perfect birthday present, arrives tomorrow!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

"If you have the familiar GUI then you are not running Boxee 1.0."

They shipped the box's with outdated software, that's not a good sign imo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Photex posted:

"If you have the familiar GUI then you are not running Boxee 1.0."

They shipped the box's with outdated software, that's not a good sign imo.

I dont think they wanted to reveal any of the new stuff before their launch event.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If you were confused by Photex's post like I was, he's referring to Boxee's twitter, which now states:

http://twitter.com/#!/boxee posted:

oops. some people already got their Boxee Boxes from Amazon today... the boxes will auto-update to the new version by tomorrow.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

canyonero posted:

If you were confused by Photex's post like I was, he's referring to Boxee's twitter, which now states:

someone also on the forums confirmed that the new website had Neflix and Hulu logos.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hulu + confirmed.

Netflix confirmed

Engadget is doing a liveblog

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/10/live-from-the-boxee-box-launch-event/

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20101110/a-web-video-truce-free-hulu-goes-away-from-boxee-replaced-by-hulu-plus/

http://blog.boxee.tv/2010/11/10/boxee-box-starts-shipping-new-boxee-version-netflix-and-hulu-plus-too/

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 11, 2010

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, playing a clip of "The Vice guide to Liberia" will really hype up the crowd!

Engadget posted:

8:02PM This appears to be an extremely depressing documentary about human trafficking. "So you killed a child, and then you drank the blood? Yes."

:doh:

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

amazon says mine will be hear tomorrow, cannot wait. Hopefully this live coverage shows off some cool new stuff

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm going to go to a bestbuy near me to see if they actually have it in stock like their website page says. (canada)

I guess I shoulda just kept my preorder, I'm kinda hyped for one now :ohdear:

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
I've got mine (Canada gets something first for once, hurrah!) and I'm a bit nervous. It can't connect to our media drive (a Samba shared USB drive off an Airport Extreme) and I can't find a way to copy files from a PC/Mac to connected storage, but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right places.

Not sure how much work I want to put in to getting this working, either, since it may all be resolved when 1.0 hits tomorrow.

The box updates to .92, by the way. Not sure what it shipped with, but the updated firmware is from September.

Fakeedit: Annnnd just like that, moments before I hit "submit" it showed up in our shared network devices. So I guess I can copy media onto it directly over the network. Fantastic!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just picked mine up from BestBuy too, yay :canada:

Like I suspected it would be it was placed in the pc stuff section next to the removeable hard drives and none of the sales guys had any clue where the item was. There was only one there at the time and I got it, score.

Pretty slick overall with the packaging and boot etc.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

LittleCat posted:

Not sure how much work I want to put in to getting this working, either, since it may all be resolved when 1.0 hits tomorrow.

The official forums have multiple troubleshooting threads open and the moderator basically just keeps repeating "wait until tomorrow when version 1.0 is out".

I'm on windows 7 and Boxee keeps saying my computer is a Samba connection and keeps prompting me for a username and password... seeing as I'm pretty much networking retarded I figure I'll just wait until tomorrow when the actual release date is.

Also I picked mine up from Bestbuy (Canada again) and when I asked where they had their "Boxee boxes" the sales guy looked at me like I was an alien.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

Also I picked mine up from Bestbuy (Canada again) and when I asked where they had their "Boxee boxes" the sales guy looked at me like I was an alien.

Was yours just stuck in with misc PC stuff too? I was honestly ready to give up when I saw this black box with a hint of green and went "HMM!"

It was like a treasure hunt, sorta. Treasure I had to pay $200 for.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Believe it or not they had a little media streaming section... which was hard enough to find mixed in with the routers and external HD's.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
Just in case anyone runs into the problem I had, apparently the Box uses older Samba auth than the Airport does, but a manual connection to IP/Drivename works nicely.

So far I'm really happy. I expected fewer of the apps to work in Canada but there's currently a lot of content there. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I guess it is hit or miss depending on the bestbuy, the one here had no such section but I think someone had mentioned earlier in the thread there was going to be a similar media section in a bestbuy they went to.

Streaming a 1080p mkv from my NAS now, it rocks :cool:

I hope the nhl gamecenter thing will be added tomorrow in the 1.0 update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Mine should arrive Friday, been looking to get one of these for a while now to compliment my NAS/server, was about to build a HTPC running XPMC right when it was finally announced.

• Locked thread