Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Has anyone seen any articles or anything comparing the boxee box to that googletv one from logitech?

I'm getting slight second thoughts and might cancel my preorder to wait and read some reviews on the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for that! Local content is the primary concern for me, so I think I'll keep the boxee preorder then.

I like how the boxee app will index my NAS video folder and figure out tv episodes etc, that's a big plus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That's totally true. I think the Logitech version of the GoogleTv might be a tough sell to the average consumer. Once TVs show up with it built in it might gain some better traction.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big handicap is big box electronic stores putting it in the computer section with the rest of the Logitech stuff, so people who might be interested in attaching something like that to their TV who aren't computer nerds would just miss it altogether. Perhaps if they have a decent Harmony remote section in the store they can put it around there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The only streaming service I care about is Netflix, in Canada all the good stuff (hulu, cartoon network) are blocked anyway and routing around that is too much

Netflix is pretty cool about getting their client in whatever so hopefully it'll be in the boxee box for certain. (has it been confirmed/denied? I just heard "maybe")

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I cancelled my preorder from bestbuy.ca just to wait on reviews etc.

In the end I may go with a HTPC of some kind instead, more costly but I could use the server elements of it too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

NHL Gamecenter is going to be available on Boxee, that's pretty cool.

I may end up getting a box now, that's a nice feature being able to stream live games. I had the subscription last year but watching games on my laptop was underwhelming. Also a lot of games were blacked out that I wanted to watch - this might still be the case though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

canyonero posted:

I would assume they use the same rules as MLB At Bat (radio is always available, video not available for in market teams or nationally televised games).

Yeah I think that's it. It sucks for me because I don't have cable anymore.

Wait a minute, does boxee work with justin.tv or atdhe.net? If so, instant buy. Googling this now.

edit: oh poo poo yes (would probably look like crap on the tv though)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, playing a clip of "The Vice guide to Liberia" will really hype up the crowd!

Engadget posted:

8:02PM This appears to be an extremely depressing documentary about human trafficking. "So you killed a child, and then you drank the blood? Yes."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm going to go to a bestbuy near me to see if they actually have it in stock like their website page says. (canada)

I guess I shoulda just kept my preorder, I'm kinda hyped for one now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just picked mine up from BestBuy too, yay

Like I suspected it would be it was placed in the pc stuff section next to the removeable hard drives and none of the sales guys had any clue where the item was. There was only one there at the time and I got it, score.

Pretty slick overall with the packaging and boot etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

Also I picked mine up from Bestbuy (Canada again) and when I asked where they had their "Boxee boxes" the sales guy looked at me like I was an alien.

Was yours just stuck in with misc PC stuff too? I was honestly ready to give up when I saw this black box with a hint of green and went "HMM!"

It was like a treasure hunt, sorta. Treasure I had to pay $200 for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I guess it is hit or miss depending on the bestbuy, the one here had no such section but I think someone had mentioned earlier in the thread there was going to be a similar media section in a bestbuy they went to.

Streaming a 1080p mkv from my NAS now, it rocks

I hope the nhl gamecenter thing will be added tomorrow in the 1.0 update.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LittleCat posted:

Netflix apparently won't be in immediately, but it is coming. NAS performance seems great. It takes a while to scan the whole library (and we have a fraction of what you do). And there's one annoying glitch where it mislabels TV shows as movies and just won't let me fix them, but I expect that to be fixed in 1.0. Otherwise I couldn't be happier so far - it's so nice to finally have a proper solution for watching stuff off the NAS.

This is totally my view of it after messing around with it for the past few hours, it's amazing for cataloging and presenting all my painstakingly gathered video from my NAS and the shows look fantastic on the TV.

I'm curious, will it continue to identify shows if I hit the "logout" or does it put it into low power mode? I just left it on for now and turned off the tv instead.

Anyone feel like adding other folks on the boxee friends? I'm "priznat" on there as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Been playing stuff on my Boxee Box all day and nothing has so much of a hiccup yet.

I have noticed the filename naming issue so I'll have to muck about with some renaming scripts I have to do batch renames.

Make sure you turn off the lock in the setup menu preventing adult content to get the full list of the online apps btw

Can't wait for Netflix to arrive. No Vudu in Canada I guess?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Edit: Also, the big one: does it do 1080p smoothly?

Oh yes indeed. I've run a couple 1080p mkvs through it without any issues, it was smooth and looked fantastic. I'm hooked up with the cat5 now, but I am curious to try it with the wireless-N. I'll give that a go now and report back in a little bit.

edit: yup, 1080p over wireless ran beautifully. 1080p takes a tich longer to skip ahead/back just because of the buffering but for anything else it's completely seamless.

priznat fucked around with this message at Nov 12, 2010 around 07:28

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Weird, I'm sorry to hear that folks are having lots of issues. I am really happy with it and it's performed great for me.

I just have a couple minor squibbles, mostly relating to the naming convention stuff. It does find 95% of my stuff properly although I would have thought having <series name>/<season>/ <ep num> - <ep name>.<extension> would be a sensible way to have tv series archived.

I've ran my scripts to rename the files to <series name> SXXEYY - <ep name>.<extension> though so it's no big deal.

Going to mess around with the justin.tv app and see about getting atdhe working so it might be a nice way for watching sports broadcasts, even.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also check out netgear's stuff, I have an older readynas NV and it's really nice. Never had an issue with it in my 3-4 years of using it. Easy upgrading the drives too.

http://www.readynas.com/?cat=97

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Cool, that one is only 299 that was linked above! Do I need to load an OS on these suckers or are they plug in and rock?

They're pretty much just standalone network appliances and you just plug em in and go!

Amazingly useful to have and much better than keeping a fullsize PC on all the time to serve media for the boxee.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Sweet! Think I found my black Friday purchase! Already have three hds to throw in there as well. Golden.

Make sure you check the Acer website just to see if they have a compatibility list for hdds, you're probably fine but best to know for sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SatanX posted:

Im using all western Dig 2TB green drives with the 64 meg cache (and 4k clusters)

Yeah I think there was some issue with the 4K clusters in the older readynas devices but the new stuff (from all manufacturers) is probably fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow I didn't even know it had a fan. So no, definitely not a loud one. You should exchange it, mine is totally silent although I haven't stuck my ear right next to it. Definitely a lot quieter than an xbox/ps3 though!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone know if it wakes up to do a scan while in "sleep" mode? That's the power state I usually leave it in.

Man I cannot wait for netflix support for this, I really like using the boxee. It's just so nice being able to finally play .mkv files on something hooked up to the tv

Can someone recommend me the best DVD ripper app for TV shows (OSX) that will create decent splits of the episodes with proper filenames etc? If that even exists.. I'd like to put more of my TV DVDs on my NAS to watch this way. I haven't kept up with what software is decent for that.

Also are there any decent blu-ray ripping solutions now? (I'd need an external blu-ray drive for the mac so this probably won't happen anytime soon).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I tried out playing 1080p mkvs over 802.11n and it ran just fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Has anyone heard if there is a plugin coming for atdhe.net? I've tried to watch via the browser and it was pretty ehhh..

That'd be fantastic if there was a decent plugin, pretty much the only thing I'm missing from not having cable is live sports.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boo and/or yay!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/31/...uary-as-if-you/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Next-Gen posted:

Yeah, I'm officially wrong now . It kinda feels like they took off the last week of the year even though they're in Israel, with the lack of communication until like 2 hours before the new year.

For a small company a slip of 3-4 weeks is not really such an unusual thing and I'm not surprised or upset by it.

Can't wait for netflix on it!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

answersyouseek posted:

I'm interested in the Boxee Box but I wanted to ask all of you who have one before I make the dive. How is music playback of locally stored files? It's an important feature to have and I fugre if music playback isn't the best then I might need to go in a different direction.

I'm really not impressed with local music playback. It is nice how it has the browser with thumbnails of all the artists, but I didn't see any obvious playlist creation or ability to play saved playlists. Basically I just played individual artist albums one by one.

There might be the ability to make playlists etc but it wasn't immediately obvious to me, anyway.

Seems like you are just locked to a single screensaver when the music is playing too.

Anyway if it's mostly a music player you're interested in I'd say nah, not really.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just saw this tweet from @boxee:

@boxee posted:

Boxee Box firmware update is being tested by our Early Access users. We're doing some more testing and hope to be able to release it soon.

Another update already? Anyone in the Early Access and can spill what's in it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

But I thought SP3 was released? I downloaded it a couple days ago and I don't even think that was the first day it was out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah ok I just saw "new update" and hit upgrade a few days ago. Didn't even realize there was an issue with it, must have skipped reading that post.

Works great for me anyway..

Dang I was hoping for netflix

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If it's anything like installing boxee on the ATV1 it's something that a lot of people might not have the patience for.

Boxee ran so slow on the ATV1, ugh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm quite happy with it now, mostly for the playing of local content off my NAS, but I love the "watch later" feature that lets me click on a bookmarklet to put it in my queue. It's great for when I'm just checking my RSS feed during my lunch break and I can queue up a bunch of stuff to watch when I get home.

Once (if?) it gets netflix it'll be amazing, at least until my ISP starts charging the big bucks for overage fees on their piddly-rear end caps (yay Canada!)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Some? Their HQ is in Ontario. They're a Canadian company.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If you have an iOS device there is a free remote app from boxee that is pretty nice. Not sure if there is an android one etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any ideas why my Boxee can stream 1080p movies just fine from my NAS over the 802.11n wifi but has difficulty connecting to Netflix? It is on the outer edge of where I would consider the good wifi coverage to be (opposite end of the house). But streaming video it seems to do just fine. Weird.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bilperkins2 posted:

Stupid question, but do other devices in your house have problems connecting to Netflix? Maybe it's your internet connection and not your wifi. Doubtful though.

Nope, they're all fine (usually they are either on wired network or closer to the basestation though). I'm suspecting it's the regular boxee video app buffers it enough so it can overcome any hiccups in the stream caused by being at the edge of the wifi. The Netflix app is probably just more susceptible to these hiccups and if it detects it (usually while it's doing that pre-buffering) it just says "nope, can't do it!"

I'll be running cat5e/6 to that area of the house eventually anyway so it's not a huge deal, just would be nice to watch Netflix on the tv.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It'd be pretty awesome if you could use the boxee box as the transcoder for whatever videos stored on the NAS, streamed to the iPad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh well. As long as it's a technical limitation, I can deal with that. If it's a bullshit "we're not doing this because PIRACY OMG" then it's kind of annoying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it'll even play video from a bunch of rarred files too. Pretty awesome feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Has there been any new info on the nas smb thing where it requires a login?

None of the workarounds on the Jira page do anything for me, and it kind of makes the box useless for me

«2 »