Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just bought a wdtv live plus, gonna move it to the bedroom and get one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Amazon preorder price dropped to $199

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038JE07O?tag=gmgamzn-20

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tragick posted:

Wish they would've told us about the chipset change earlier instead of keeping everyone in the dark for so long. Oh well, I think it'll be pretty sweet.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I hope the Netflix streaming will be in HD. The current Boxee Netflix app, as far as I know, is locked out of the HD stream since in all cases it is technically running on PC.

Ohh, that would change things if i couldn't do HD netflix.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tragick posted:

Actually, now that I look into it, *some* of the HD titles on Netflix are available in HD on a PC now, but not nearly all. Hopefully they will unlock all of them for the Boxee Box since it is an 'embedded' device.

From what it sounds like on the forums and the comments. They are hinting that netflix on boxee will be better than current solutions. Maybe they will be the first device with 5.1 audio support.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Welp, shipping November 10th for preorders. Available 17th in big box stores.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

priznat posted:

That's totally true. I think the Logitech version of the GoogleTv might be a tough sell to the average consumer. Once TVs show up with it built in it might gain some better traction.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big handicap is big box electronic stores putting it in the computer section with the rest of the Logitech stuff, so people who might be interested in attaching something like that to their TV who aren't computer nerds would just miss it altogether. Perhaps if they have a decent Harmony remote section in the store they can put it around there.

Bestbuy here has them all setup with the home theater stuff. Far away from the computer aisle.

Also the googletv boxes do play local content, however from reading avsforum there are some major issues with codec support.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DaWolfey posted:

The software available to download now from the Boxee site is months old. They have been working solely on the Boxee box and fixing the version of the software for that.

There's a high chance that all the bugs have been fixed and new features added, don't judge it by what is there now other than to get a feel for how it works.

They have said that once the Box is out, they will work on getting the downloadable version up to the same level as the Box version.

The box comes with 1.0 software. 1.0 for win/mac/linux will be out 1q 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Playing with boxee software, just realized once i linked my facebook it shows all the videos my facebook friends post. Thats pretty awesome.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

"Don Lapre is watching BREE OLSON SWALLOW CUMPILATION.WMV on Boxee Media Center."

likes this :thumbsup:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

alecm posted:

The lack of a confirmed Netflix app is the only thing preventing me from preordering. My 360 is just so drat loud. Why isn't there more hype?

D-links boxee site changed the other day and they listed netflix under apps, then it was promptly replaced with a list of apps without netflix.

So from this, you learn that either netflix is there but not ready to be announced yet, or someone doing the site wasn't paying attention at first and netflix is not going to be there.

In the end you know exactly as much/little as you did before.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TraderStav posted:

This is why I won't link up my media consumption to Facebook. The last thing I need people (my mom) seeing is the movies my Wife and I choose to watch.

Awkward Thanksgiving anyone?

It doesn't automatically post what you watch, only if you choose to share it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Credit card has been charged, order being prepared for shipment!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

gently caress canada. Bestbuy in canada already has them on the shelf.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

New website up shows the 1.0 UI.

http://www.boxee.tv/

Looks like they are releasing browser plugins that allow you to click on a video file on your computer and save it to watch later on your boxee.

edit: this already exists on old boxee haha.

edit: new site is gone haha. Reverted back to old.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 10, 2010

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Photex posted:

"If you have the familiar GUI then you are not running Boxee 1.0."

They shipped the box's with outdated software, that's not a good sign imo.

I dont think they wanted to reveal any of the new stuff before their launch event.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hulu + confirmed.

Netflix confirmed

Engadget is doing a liveblog

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/10/live-from-the-boxee-box-launch-event/

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20101110/a-web-video-truce-free-hulu-goes-away-from-boxee-replaced-by-hulu-plus/

http://blog.boxee.tv/2010/11/10/boxee-box-starts-shipping-new-boxee-version-netflix-and-hulu-plus-too/

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 11, 2010

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

I'm thinking about getting some kind of set-top box. The Boxee Box looks nice, but I'm wondering what justifies it being twice as expensive as the Roku or Apple TV. Can someone summarize what the Boxee Box offers over either of those?

It should play any online flash content is the big difference over other devices.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Doesn't it have a terrible laggy interface?

Yes. The interface is really really lovely on WDTV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got my boxee box. updated to 1.0. The few flash things i tried worked fine. Turned it off since im at work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dont know if anyone else has tried it, but hulu works through the browser.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I love my boxee. Even though there are lots of bugs, we watched flash content all night, MST3k, mr rogers neighborhood, bunch of adult swim shows. This thing owns.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

z0ratio sexhaver posted:

I wish milkdrop wasn't removed in 1.0 :saddowns:

Oh well... this thing is much nicer than the WDTV box it's replacing. Hopefully boxee or a third party make a grate firmware for this.

I replaced a wdtv also, love that i dont have to create loving cover art.

People already have telnet root access. Hacks should happen quick i think.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can look at bug status on this page, submit your own, and see what is fixed for the next build.

http://jira.boxee.tv/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Avner made a post on boxee forums about updates coming to boxee box

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22313

Been reading many of the posts in the forum, tweets and emails. There are many issues surfaced by people who use Boxee primarily to access local videos rather than stream stuff from online sources.

This the key issues being reported and what we're going to do about them:

It is too cumbersome to get to local movies, tv shows
This issue is part of a broader feeling that Boxee has de-emphasized local files and is pushing online source instead. This is true and we made a mistake by not leaving it up to the user to decide.

Planned solution: We are going to let users tell Boxee whether they are going to use it mostly for local or Internet playback. In case you select "Local" clicking on Movies or Shows will take you to the movie or show files rather than to the most popular online titles.

We will expand on this notion and let users play with their settings as well.

Missing Filter and Sort options for local files
Many users are missing the ability to filter by Genre and have easier Sort controls (stuff that was in the left menubar in the Beta).

Planned solution: We are going to enable filtering by Genre for local Movies and Shows. Rather than bringing back the left menubar (that many users never discovered) we will introduce a new Sort button to the Browse Screens so you can easily choose to sort by Date (including reverse order) and A-Z.

We will also bring back the Mark as Watched and the ability to filter and see only the Unwatched Movies.

Improve navigation in long lists of files
When you have 600 videos in a folder navigating through the list is somewhat painful.

Planned solution: In addition to easier sorting options we will introduce new ways to navigate the list by A-Z. Hopefully it will make it much quicker.

Want Boxee to scan your folders more frequently
In the Beta we had "Monitored Folder", which made Boxee scan that folder for new files very frequently. Alas it created many issues especially as it relates to SMB sources.

Planned solution: Introduce a more granular scanning option. Maybe in an hourly resolution as well as make it easier to "force" Boxee to scan a source for new files.

There is also a bug related to manually identifying TV Shows, which we're fixing.

SMB sources disappear, prompting for u/p, SMB server showing wrong info re disk space
We heard multiple reports of issues related to SMB sources that "disappear" and only reboot brings em back. Mostly happening to users of Mac OS 10.6

Also some reports on prompts for u/p when they are not needed.
People who set up Boxee as an SMB server report that it shows wrong info re available space on the attached drive.

Planned solution: We are troubleshooting with several users who experienced this issue to find the bug and fix it. Hope to have news on that front soon.

Choppy playback of some file types
Some ISO and MKV files are not playing smoothly.

If you have a file that does not play well on Boxee we'd like to know about it. Please upload a sample and send us a link. We are looking at each one of these and trying to make it work.

Planned solution: We are working with multiple users on samples they sent us. We found some issues (either our issue or Intel issue) and working on fixes.

We are committed to make Boxee the best and most versatile player of video files. If it is feasible with our HW we will make it work.

Thumbnail loading, caching
For people with lots of videos the thumbnail loading and caching has been very problematic. It takes long to load and it needs to do it after every reboot.

Planned solution: We are looking into the way we load thumbs. There may be an issue right there. We are also looking for an alternative solution for caching the thumbs (maybe on an SD/USB stick or on the NAND).

We also want to support folder.jpg that users already have rather than going out to the Internets to fetch one.

Subtitle support
We are very proud to be supporting multiple subtitle formats including control of font, size, color and location. Alas some users have reported bugs related to SSA/rear end.

Plus a very annoying bug that make subtitles show by default..

Planned solution: We already fixed the default subtitle behavior and are looking into the issues related to SSA/rear end.

Weak WiFi signal
People reporting weak WiFi signals and in some cases buffering because of it.

Planned solution: First I must admit we have a somewhat embarrassing bug that Boxee shows the strongest WiFi AP as the weakest... Yes, I Know.. as I said, embarrassing. We fixed it. Now we need to find out why some people are having real miserable experience over WiFi. We are looking into it and troubleshooting with multiple users.

So you are "working on it". great.. but when should we expect fixes?
We are going to have a first firmware fix out later this week. Fixing support for 1080i TVs (a nasty, nasty bug) and as many other bugs as possible.

The UI fixes are going to take us 2-4 weeks, but otherwise we plan to release updates probably once a week in the short term, and then move to a more sane update schedule.

We appreciate all your feedback (including the blunt stuff) and hope to demonstrate that not only we listen, but we also fix the stuff you care about the most.

Feel free to email me directly at avner [AT] boxee. I read all my emails and answer, too...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SatanX posted:

Quick question for you all that have a Boxee box.

Does it support Blu-ray navigation?

No. That requires licensing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The osx disconnect bug has been fixed according to their bug tracker. Should be in next update.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BorderPatrol posted:

It's RF, and they're said they eventually plan on selling it seperately.

http://www.jr.com/dlink/pe/DLK_DSM22/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Well, the main problem is all that stuff you mentioned is hidden under the back/menu button after you go into something else. None of it is accessible under those nice friendly buttons at the main screen and the software makes no effort to educate you on it. For a box that tries to be a little more non-techie friendly that kind of stuff is bad.

Some controls to expand a flash movie on a page to full screen at will and possibly control which flash movies actually load and run would both be nice. Of course a full-screen-ify button would probably need another remote button and they've cornered themselves on that one. Even simple zoom controls would help as far as arrowing over and trying to hit that usually tiny fullscreen button on the flash movie itself. As far as web browsers go, other than having support for a later version of Flash, the Boxee browser is less feature-rich than the Wii.

The browser was never meant for web browsing, simply as a fallback for flash content.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Here are the bug fixes coming in the new update.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22906

Media Playback
1080i playback in Web browser caused black screens for Web and local content
Some HD .avi content playing at low frames-per-second
Failure to seek in specific Blu-Ray .iso over network share
Case sensitivity issues in .iso filename extension
Stuttering while playing some Blu-Ray content
No video, audio only while playing some .m4v content
Failure to render .rear end subtitles after changing overscan settings
Failure in opening .rar files containining subtitles
Playback and overscan issues when switching to and from fullscreen of online content
Rear channels on AAC 5.1 are not played properly w/ LPCM 5.1 out
Flash video audio drops out after ~1 hour in long length online videos
Select subtitles from hard-drive screen does not work

Wireless Connectivity
Wireless signal levels display (showing one bar when in fact 3 bars should be displayed)
Missing WiFi encryption schemes
First time WiFi setup takes excessive time

Network Shares
Repeated credentials request for non-secure network shares (SMB)
Unable to access network share when Window Live is installed on Windows 7
Intermittent crashes when failing to open networked media
Frequent disconnects from Mac OS X network shares (SMB)

Other
Empty screen appears when filtering shows by Channels > TED, Engadget, when geo lock is enabled
Faulty DNS configuration when using VPN causing a Boxee network disconnect
Leave/stay prompt shows up multiple times for some online content
Web browser screen size was wrong, not compensating for overscan
"Resume from" does not always show
Browser Loading progress bar does not go away
Weather location and timezone are not always set up correctly

And here is what has been added and improved:
Support .mkv with header compression
Support switching from PC black level to video black level
Default overscan is now 3% on top and left and 6% on right and bottom
Add a global subtitles toggle, set to off by default
Support for showing password for Wireless connections
Support for reporting HDMI/HDCP handshake status

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bonzo posted:

I think I would get one of these if they had a SATA connection.

Why do you need sata connectors? USB shouldn't really be a speed bottleneck on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MTW posted:

The scanning poo poo needs to be fixed. I shouldn't have to rescan every time I add videos to my WHS; it should scan every time I select "files".

The loving WDTV gets this right. Why doesn't Boxee?

The wdtv doesn't scan anything. It just browses your network share. You can do the same thing on boxee under the main files area.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

New boxee box update

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=24049

code:
Boxee for CE4100: Boxee Box by D-Link

Version 1.0.2.16606
-------------------

Improvements and additions

- Enabling user flavor selection (online/local inclination) during first login
  and via Settings - defaults for users selecting local will direct to local
  content and will not mandate multiple clicks to get to local content
- Added alphabetical scrollbar for local content
- Enhanced sorting options in browse screens (A-Z, Z-A, most popular, newest/oldest...)
- Main menu supports additional filter options
- Mark items as watched/unwatched from the Action menu
- Added option for hourly scan of local libraries
- When watching side-by-side or over/under video, the subtitles and OSD would not be visible
  when wearing 3D glasses. The user now has the option, under Settings, to have the user
  interface properly displayed when watching this kind of content
- Added SMB client defaults to network settings

Bug fixes

- Do not de-interlace of video when the TV is in interlaced mode (e.g. 1080i)
- HFS+ volumes display UUID instead of volume name under some conditions
- Video OSD text background too small for text title when playing video with long titles
- When connecting to VPN, Boxee didn't refresh region code
- Boxee doesn't change DNS configuration when VPN is set up
- Can't connect to hidden wireless networks
- Cannot connect to network using WPA passcode with special characters
- When Internet connection is restored, menu doesn't show online channels
- DVD .iso playback aspect ratio incorrect
- DVD playback displayed some artifacts
- "Resume From" doesn't work on DVD ISO/Folders
- Zoom on DVD (.iso and folder) video does not work as expected
- .vob files playback (standalone files) is stuttering and low FPS
- DVD .iso playback over Wireless N: excessive buffering, playback speed issues, random exits
- "Vietnamese" character set is misspelled in System Settings
- Show "Remove From Favorites" button in episodes list, even if no episodes are available
- SMB credentials are not saved upon restart
- Write failure when accessing Box-attached disk over SMB
- SMB file sharing of external HD size reporting is wrong
- Become unresponsive and hang during playback of AVC .mkv file from SMB mapped drive
- Crashes when indexing some videos inside .rar files
- Crashes indexing mp3 file with corrupt embedded thumbnail
- Stretch 16:9 and Stretch 14:9 not working properly
- Shoutcast and Radiotime: Switching stations or Cancel causes interface to freeze and console output to crawl
- Some .mkv files do not playback properly (some flavors of H.264)
- Support packed bitstream muxing mode in .avi
- Some .wtv files do not playback properly
- Constant buffering on 1080p BD .mkv files accessed wirelessly on Boxee
- Boxee crash when browsing into unidentified Files
- Playback choked and crashed during viewing of .mp4 file

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Laserface posted:

is there a way to bypass all that shite and just get to the raw file menu? I use TVrenamer on all my files anyway so my movie/tv directories are pretty tidy.

Files/Browse

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Not much hope of getting the OP updated, hell, it has screenshots from the PC version and the current UI doesn't even look like that. Looks like he kind of gave up on it in September. Would be nice if Boxee had stickied a thread with the common crash bugs on their forum instead of leaving people to stumble through other complaints to find it. I think they might even have a bug repository somewhere but I couldn't find the link again. Of course hopefully they fix that upnp one the next time they update, whenever the hell that is. Some people are still wishing for one at the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath.

Here is where you can see status of, and submit bugs for boxee.

http://jira.boxee.tv/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

kri kri posted:

Does boxee do fanart like xbmc?

From second to last software release.

Support local thumbnails: .tbn support / folder.jpg

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Browser in new software update is way faster, can login to https now, and there is a services option now in the settings, obviously making way for netflix.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MMD3 posted:

ruh-roh, what does this mean for Boxee Box sales?

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/you-asked-for-it-xbmc-for-appletv2-ipad-iphone4/

ATV2 still cant play 1080p smoothly, plus you cant play flash content on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MMD3 posted:

WOOH!

here's hoping the naysayers shut up for a week or two so they can start focusing on other improvements.

There will always be things to complain about

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fatal posted:

The next update adds local caching of thumbnails, praise ja!

Where is it going to store them? in the built in memory or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Has anyone tried emulators on this?

I'm just curious, because I'd like a casual netflix device, plus the ability to play most video files off an external HDD and the ability to hook up a Xbox 360 controller (Hoping the wireless one would work, but I'd be fine with a wired.)

Emulators do not work on a boxee box.

• Locked thread