Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

bull3964 posted:

I'm about ready to write off the whole "media streamer as appliance" setup for now because the only consistent way you are going to access online TV streaming will be through a PC running a regular OS. Everything else is going to be a cat and mouse game of blocking access until some sort of licensing agreement is in place.

Personally, I don't give much of a poo poo because I get my media from other places, but surely there has to be a way around this? Does anyone know how they are blocking it? Couldn't I do something to trick the streaming sites into thinking that the Boxee is a regular computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Got mine up and running. A lot of people are going to be pissed when they spend a ton of time trying to get it to connect to something before they update it. Updating looks like it put a new version of the OS on or something -- it totally changed the way things look.

So, far, it's been able to play all of my non-HD stuff with no problem. It does a drat nice job upscaling -- my digital copy of Toy Story 3 looks great, even though it's not in HD. I don't have wireless-n (does boxee box?), so I'm not going to try streaming 1080p content to it.

I'm more impressed with how well it picked up my library of TV and Movies and was about 90% accurate in figuring out what was what just from the file name. It even sorted my TV shows by season.

quote:

I'm really tempted to buy one of these but I'm wondering if it's worth it since I own a PS3 and am currently using PS3 Media Server for basically everything I would be using a Boxee Box for.

I don't see why you'd mess with Boxee Box unless you have cash to burn. I currently have a PS3/360 in my main living room area. I bought the Boxee Box for my bedroom television.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 13, 2010

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Mine seems to have poo poo itself after the latest update. Takes a lot longer to turn on and takes even longer to scrub though xvids. I'm not going to send it back because tonight is the first time that it's given me any trouble at all, but drat if it's not irritating me right now.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

My Boxee won't send a signal to the TV now. Haven't touched the HDMI cables at all. Boxee turns green and I can hear the fan running (very quietly), but the TV doesn't display any image.

I'll be sending it back either tomorrow or Wednesday as it's pretty worthless if it can't display a picture. Now, I need to decide what to replace it with.

It worked really well for the 1.5 weeks that I got to use it. I had no problems with it until the latest update. I understand that some of these products take time to get working well, but I can't have the thing be completely unusable while the developers figure things out. Terrible quality (also a stupid loving enclosure design) -- will be telling friends and family to avoid it like the plague.

EDIT: I'm thinking that it may have over heated? It just froze up about 1hr 40min into a 2 hour movie.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

n0n0 posted:

Why are people insisting on hating the boxee box when it's really not that bad? In fact, it's actually kind of good. $200 for a box that requires minimal configuration, a pretty bitchin remote control, a decent feature-set and a lot of room for growth... not bad.

I was all for mine until it froze up and bricked itself. The fact that it has a fan tells me that the manufacturer anticipated heat issues. Also, the form factor is loving stupid.

However, it really did have a nice interface and I wish that mine hadn't poo poo itself because I was loving it up until then. I replaced it with a WD TV Live and, although it plays everything just fine, the experience is not nearly as nice as Boxee.

• Locked thread