Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cable Industry, the bell tolls for thee.

What is it?

Announced late last year, the Boxee Box is the hardware manifestation of Boxee's media manager software, similar to XMBC.

The Boxee Box is similar to Apple TV, WD TV, and other set up devices, in that it allows you to stream media from a networked PC, networked storage, or a locally attached storage device. In addition, it has integrated streaming video capabilities from Hulu, NBC, Youtube, Facebook, etc, as well as different apps and widgets such as Pandora.

What does it support?

I'll keep this short: just about everything.

If you've ever used the Boxee software you know that it will open just about anything including ISOs and .part files.

We're also getting Flash 10.1 support and a built in web browser so we'll be able to watch videos from sites that don't have an API to be used for integration.

What about the hardware?

Tegra2 BITCHES! The interface should be snappy and 1080p should be no problem what-so-ever.

Boxee Blog posted:

With Tegra 2 powering the Boxee Box you can:

* Enjoy a fluid and responsive user interface that is similar to the UI performance up till now available only on full blown PCs
* Play 1080p video from locally stored content and stream HD video content from the Internet
* Play Adobe® Flash® 10.1 content from across the web, including HD content

More inside the Box:

* RF chip by Nordic – to support a great remote control experience that is not dependent on line-of-sight and can work from anywhere in the house
* 802.11N wireless chip by Broadcom

What’s not in the Box:

* No hard-drive – We discussed hard-drive at length with D-Link, and figured people already have storage solutions, and that we should do our best to reduce the price of the Boxee Box. You’ll be able to connect your choice of storage devices directly to the Box using USB
* No IR – While we realize many people are using universal remotes, we believe there is a greater benefit having a full QWERTY keyboard, and the right way to do that was RF. We really wanted to also support IR, for various reasons we could not get it as part of the build. We continue supporting this in software, so you can use any IR dongle and continue using your universal remote with Boxee.

Notice the bit about no IR? Well check out this remote:

Yes, that's a full QWERTY keyboard on the back of the remote. However, based on the statement on their blog it appears as though you can plug in a USB IR dongle and continue to use your own remote.

And of course you have to connect it to your 13" B&W somehow, right?

HDMI
Optical Audio
RCA Stereo Audio
WiFi (802.11n)
Ethernet
2 USB Ports
SD Cart Slot
RF Remote
QWERTY Keyboard

Let's say I have a 50" Walmart special, what will the UI look like?

New: Video of UI over at Gizmodo

https://wi.somethingawful.com/13/13b795f74fb603794808a4bffeb1b41d6f080085.jpg

Does this spell the end for subscription cable and satellite TV?

Yes.

Ok I'm sold, when can I get one?

Supposedly in Q1 of this year for less than $200. The device it being manufactured by D-Link.

Other Resources
http://www.boxee.tv/box
http://blog.boxee.tv/
http://gizmodo.com/5421014/boxee-beta-finally-ready-for-primetime-just-about

Most content shamlessly stolen from Boxee's website and Gizmodo. Many thanks.

Revision History:
1/9/2010: Original post, edit to add UI video
1/9/2010: Added note about using an IR dongle for universal remotes

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There's an app for that!

One of the biggest features of Boxee is the addition of App support. This may seem like retarded bandwagoning, but keep in mind that everyone has different tastes for what they want to see on their screen.

Some of the cool apps that will be included at launch are:

Oh whoops I gave it away! Netflix and Pandora!

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 9, 2010

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

Is it confirmed the Boxee box will have Hulu? Wasn't that removed from Boxee?

When you search for a tv show or movie it looks for any available source, this includes Hulu.

Take The Office for example. When you search for it, it will give you the option to play it from Hulu or NBC and tell you if it's ad supported or not.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to strwrsxprt for fixing the thread title!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

I hope I can add IR so I can use my harmony.

Yes, you can! Lemme add that to the op!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A note about the strange design:

When attempting to establish a brand image it is often helpful to reply on evocative rather than descriptive.

In the case of design, all the competitors are all descriptive. The design is a simple box that blends in with everything else. Every new device that is released it just another rectangular box that sits next to your TV.

The design of the Boxee, while unconventional, is meant to evoke a certain emotion when viewed in marketing material next to a TV, it's meant to stand out and be easily recognizable.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One of the key features of the Boxee Box and the Boxee software in general is the web integration.

Imagine it: you're entire movie and TV collection presented in a beautiful library format with artwork and text descriptions and trailers available.. Automatically! No installing user created scrips, none of that BS!

Also, searching or Stargate: SG1 and having a list of every episode that's out there, somewhere, to watch! Right now all of SG1 is on Hulu, so there you go!

This is what I've always wanted... A way to watch what I want when I want it. Unfortunately it's still at the mercy of content providers, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

If I could have access to all primetime shows and specialty cable content (e.g. Robot Chicken and poo poo like that late at night) to watch whenever I want, even if I had to play a monthly fee+add supported I'd be fine with it! It's about having it your way.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitom posted:

Well WMC and an Xbox extender is essentially free to me (and probably most people). I'm trying to convince myself to spend more money but I want to understand what exactly I'm getting. I'm also considering building a HTPC but that depends on how CableCARD plays out in the next few months.

The idea behind this is to get out from under cable and satellite delivery of TV programming.

If you want to hold on to your subscription and use cablecard, this is not the solution for you.

If you want to go ahead and ditch them and go with a purely internet fed system, this or some variant is the best plan.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry about the lack of news everybody. D-Link and Boxee have been really quiet since CES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Will be updating OP tonight. Or closing thread. Haven't decided yet.

• Locked thread