Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Last week I got an Asus EB1012U (not the Revo because I needed 802.11n but it's basically identical).

Boxee is cool and I like it (I disabled all the social poo poo though, who really gives a gently caress what I am watching right now?) but the choppy flash video in the Apps (BBC iPlayer, HD youtube etc) is really annoying.

I'm already on Flash 10.1rc7 and the latest nvidia drivers and directx runtime but is there anything i've overlooked ?

Also i'm using a wiimote and it works just so drat well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Why won't they just release the new version that works with Flash 10.1 so us people with ion based machines can use the apps without terrible performance!

To me, that is hurting them more because anyone who installs it on an ion is going to get a bad experience.

It's even marked as fixed in their bug tracker!

But yeah Google TV is going to destroy it, at least for those who want to buy a box that just works and not run it on an actual pc.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I won't be buying the box, but I do love the software - i'd even pay (a small amount) for it.

Though they do need to fix some of the stuttering and frame dropping issues for flash when its running on an atom processor.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The software available to download now from the Boxee site is months old. They have been working solely on the Boxee box and fixing the version of the software for that.

There's a high chance that all the bugs have been fixed and new features added, don't judge it by what is there now other than to get a feel for how it works.

They have said that once the Box is out, they will work on getting the downloadable version up to the same level as the Box version.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I got my Box today. I moved from an Asus nettop with Boxee Windows because I was getting frustrated with its lack of development.

I'm not yet entirely won over by the new interface, having grown quite used to 0.9 but it seems to be playing everything i've thrown at it including Windows Media Center 7 WTV files which really surprised me. It fucks up if you try to skip through the file and the length is usually wrong, but hell - it saves me having to transcode them! I like the far far better browser too, it means that any site can be used now.

The boxee remote is tiny but the keyboard buttons feel reassuringly sturdy.

Anyone know any good app repositories for whatever might be out there ?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
For UK folks, the BBC iPlayer app has been updated for the Box, it's not just the website anymore!

I've had my Box for a week now and I do like it, but I was very surprised to find that the fan in it is louder than the Nettop that it replaced. Other than that, i'm pretty satisfied with it now I have got used to the different interface from the Windows Boxee which, in all fairness, is better. It feels like they've had to go backwards in order to move forwards again in its development, though.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 12, 2011

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The Boxee Box - For burnt out nerds and their girlfriends

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Spotify has arrived for Boxee!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you allowed to watch the games in the UK, then you should be ok. Boxee does support Flash.

If there is a dedicated Boxee NHL app, it might be region locked. The only way around this I know of is to use a VPN - it has VPN support built in so if you use one with a US endpoint, all the US apps and programmes suddenly appear.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
They need to stop chasing new features and improve what they have already.

I love Boxee, but the little niggles make what should be a smooth experience frustrating. Like how the BBC iPlayer app sometimes decides to start playing a second version of what i'm watching in the background so I get two different audio streams and no way to stop the second one, only the first.
How The Onion App stutters for the first few seconds when playing the next video so you miss a bit of each one.

Or how you can't force it to reindex your media right now and i'll wait while it does it.

They are small things, but rather than fix them? Let's do live tv instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
What the hell is this thing? That's Boxee dead then...

Will someone please make a small, quiet box that has apps, that can stream local content and content off a local network? Make it controlled with a tablet for that sweet second screen action and I am there, first in line.

• Locked thread