Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gravitom posted:

How would this compare to using an Xbox 360 extender with WMC? It seems it has way more Internet TV support and probably supports more codecs. Anything else I'm missing?

If you're not trying to tune live TV I don't think there's any comparison, Boxee all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I feel like kind of a fool for even suggesting this, considering how much great content is already there even without importing your own local stuff between Hulu, ABC/NBC/CBS site scrapes, and all those lovely apps (Revision3 - it's like having TechTV again, yay!) - but I really hope ATSC support finds its way into Boxee someday. It's relatively simple, free, unencumbered by DRM, and pretty much anything can play MPEG2. Cable DVR capability is a clusterfuck of analog and digital technologies, IR blasters, and whatnot, but over-the-air digital tuning/recording support would really get my dick hard.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

NYIslander posted:

It could be possible to connect a USB tuner in the link to one of the ports in the device to get it working

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100035&cm_re=qam_tuner-_-15-100-035-_-Product

The issue seems to be that the Boxee Box is using the Linux version of Boxee so I'm not sure if the drivers are there. Boxee also seems to be more interested in social connections more than technical issues but it couldn't hurt to post to their forum or send a email to them and see if anyone bites.

It occurs to me that a first step could be simply an app with DVR that is purpose-built for, say, an HDHomeRun, which doesn't even have to be directly plugged into the box, just exist on the same network. Sounds like an opportunity to dig a little deeper into this stuff. Fun :D

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A couple of weeks in, I'm really enjoying having Boxee as part of my home theater setup. There's nothing better for aggregating all the streaming content out there, and oddly enough Hulu performs much better in Boxee than in their inferior Hulu Desktop app.

I'm still using XBMC for local movies and TV shows, though. I hope Boxee either adds fanart support or restores the manual override for its title recognition that disappeared between alpha and beta.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Suniikaa posted:

That 10 cents turns into millions in profit for D-Link.

...if they sell 20 million of them...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yeet posted:

Forgive me for being ignorant but I'm confused as to how this will replace subscription TV. I'm definitely on board buying this and I'd love to get rid of my satellite subscription, but I guess...well I just don't know how that would work. Does Boxee find streams of TV programs or something? Would I still be able to watch the Blackhawks on Comcast Sportsnet HD?

Yes, it catalogs legal TV streams all over the net and presents them in full screen via a zoomed-in browser windows and allows navigation via a remote control. It doesn't receive normal TV channels like Windows Media Center, but there are so many streams available to it through Hulu, network websites, netflix, and site-specific apps like Revision3 that a fair number of people are willing to say they'd rather use it than pay for cable TV service.

It can't receive your cable sports HD channel, but it does work with Major League Baseball's online streaming service, and as more leagues put their games online there should be growth in availability. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL went that route considering the loving ghetto that is the Versus network.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yeet posted:

Ohh I see, thanks for the responses.

As for the NHL they do have online streaming service but you gotta pay for it. The games can certainly be found on other streaming sites like JustinTV or uStream but the quality for those ranges from pretty good to terrible.

You have to pay for MLB.tv, too, unfortunately. Considering the size of my cable bill, though, I'd rather pay the NHL or MLB $100 a season than maintain a cable subscripion because that I "need" ESPN. Sports is absolutely moving toward payment for more complete coverage than the networks provide via the internet, and personally I am looking forward to it. Just give me good picture for NFL and NCAA football games and I'll throw up an antenna for the networks and dump cable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

MLS has highly improved HD streams of all their games now for $40 a season, not that anyone cares. :(

They should make the field shorter or the goals bigger.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

NYIslander posted:

NHL Gamecenter is about $160 for the full season. Like MLB, the home market teams are a no go unless you have cable and internet and fork over additional money if the team allows it to happen. Watching the Yankees legally in the NYC area on a PC is at least $171 ($56 a month for TV, $45 a month for Internet, $70 a season for the games on YES with no WWOR, FOX or ESPN games). The local NHL games or the Mets can't be viewed legally online for any amount here.

Sports are a cash cow for local TV operators and Boxee and other online providers simply can't compete right now with them but they could if this pans out for them.

The situation now is pretty skewed toward TV operators, but as machines that can stream this stuff (PCs, set-top boxes, networked bluray players) penetrate more homes in the next few years I have to think that sports leagues are going to figure out that they could be making all the revenue, in terms of ads and subscriptions, themselves. The NFL is already moving in that direction by putting the Thursday game on NFL Network, which they're free to put on the net for a price.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

they said june or july i think. The thing should be really really loving bug free. If it aint people are going to be pissed.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were waiting for the software to come out of beta. Questionable scraping/lack of manual scraping override alone would piss off a fair number of customers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Greenfield posted:

This is exactly what I am waiting to see. Boxee got a ton of my movies wrong. If they fix the file scraping part I will probably get it.

The alpha actually had a "wrong movie?" button. I can't imagine why they got rid of it for the beta.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The new beta won't stop crashing with "error id 5" while I wait for it to re-scan my files. Is anyone else on Windows 7 x64 experiencing this?

e: pointing it at my enormous TV folder seems to bring it on. I think I'm going to have to go show folder by show folder.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 22, 2010

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

NYIslander posted:

I bought a HDMI to DVI cable for use on the family TV downstairs (TV in question has no HDMI since it predates the standard) and if I connect it and RCA audio cables to the TV, is it likely that would work to have it play or would there be some HDCP or electrical issue that would leave only a blank screen?

Typically a TV will have a set of RCA inputs meant specifically for whatever DVI/VGA ports are on it, it won't affect HDCP.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bilperkins2 posted:

Crosspost with the XBMC thread:

Not sure I want a Boxee anymore, considering Google's reach...

God drat it Microsoft, you could have beaten Google to this by years if you didn't have your heads up your loving asses all this time.

It says it connects to your cable box via HDMI. Does it process that video at all, like putting overlays and interface on top of it, or does it just sort of fake it with passthrough and an IR blaster when you select a currently-airing TV show?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tivac posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/boxee-box-delayed-until-november/

Ouch, November seems like a ways off.

I'm glad you can at least install the software on whatever hardware you want. Shame about the hardware, though. Someone will figure out how to put it on the new $99 AppleTV and it wont matter anymore.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

This is the basis for the GoogleTV. It initially looks like it will try to integrate and extend your existing cable/sat service with additional web-features and content. The local content will be the icing on the cake for the tech-savvy.

The Boxee Box is already dead in the water. Its underpowered chip can't play high bitrate HD content, and at this rate, the Logitech Revue (GTV) will beat it to market with much better h/w and s/w. The Acer Revos are also getting cheaper, and the XBMC port is getting better for those that want to customize their HTPC.

As long as it's a separate unit from the cable box GoogleTV will absolutely fail. The mainstream audience has failed to embrace IR blasters basically since the invention of digital cable, and Google does not appear to have any brilliant plan for how to bring DVR recordings into their little boxworld.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's not going to be long until Google TV just because another piece of software that's incorporated on CE devices like netflix integration. When most blu-ray players and TVs have Google TV built in (and I give it less than two years before that happens), most people will then have the ability to play any sort of content they would want without adding another box.

DVR is a thornier issue as all 3rd party DVRs are an abject failure at this point and it's not software that's to blame, it's the way they are incorporated (or rather, not) into the MSO networks. We need to move beyond cablecard to pump innovation into the DVR space and I think by the time that's adopted, we may be on a completely different programming model altogether.

GoogleTV has its integration with the feed from cable TV front and center. This is a problem for it because even blu-ray player and TV integration don't do much to change how gangly a cable box+IR blaster setup is. I agree that increased use of 3rd party DVRs would be great, but with the exeption of two PC tuners that have yet to be released the industry seems to be standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for CableCard's successor. Tivo's barely even trying anymore.

GoogleTV's only hope for being both good and appealing to the masses is cable company provided DVR integration, and they don't even seem to be trying for that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

I thought it was being integrated into Dish Network's box?

Just looked into it and yes it is. I hope it catches on, because I really want to see set-top boxes do more and the way it happens is integration, not more boxes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fatal posted:

Yeah, I'm banking on it being buttery smooth since it's taken this long to get out the door.

This is totally what's gonna happen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off when this thing finally comes out and all the network sites plus Hulu block it too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Fortunately, nettops are powerful enough now to stream full screen flash and they are rather inexpensive while being nearly the same size as these appliance boxes. The only thing they lack is the UI polish.

As is pretty much always the case with tech, the price of quality is knowledge and motivation. UIs have made gigantic strides in the last two years, and they're only going to get better. Meanwhile the system requirements for (non-3D) 1080p video are going to stay basically static for the time being. In five years most normal people are still just going to be using the DVR their cable company gave them and they'll probably be fine with it. Maybe they'll enjoy whatever multimedia crumbs their PS3 or XBox gets added to it, or maybe whatever their BluRay player ends up supporting, that's about it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Photex posted:

This is how Google TV will get around it, since it's using android you can change how your browser reports to websites.

:ughh: They've already figured out how to beat changing your UserAgent, they figured it out within hours of the tip disseminating. The Flash plugin is still happy to inform whatever server it's interfacing with what OS it's running on, and if people figure out a way to change that they'll figure out something else. The '90s are over, media companies aren't retarded anymore. No box you can get at Best Buy is going to access their content if they don't want it to.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

XboxPants posted:

How possible would it be for Boxee to set up their software so that when the flash plugin queries the OS, it tells it that it's some version of Windows or OSX or Linux? I mean, it's not like there's an unlimited amount of different info streams your computer is broadcasting to Hulu that identify what OS you're running. How many could there be? Once you spoof all 3 or 5 or 10 of them, what else can they do? Your IP isn't going to look any different. The way it interacts with Hulu's servers is that same... that is, would deep packet sniffing even help identify what device is sending the requests?

The only reason Hulu and other sites can tell you're using Boxee or GTV or whatever is because your software is straight-forwardly labeling itself as whatever it is and directly telling those websites, and I don't think it's a legal requirement for them to do so or anything. Maybe I just don't have enough imagination, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out. They're all just PCs when it comes down to it.

I suppose you could take a crack at a full-on unbeatable spoof as long as your company's owners, your hardware OEM's management/shareholders, and your resellers were okay with potentially destroying all future business opportunities involving every media conglomerate, Microsoft, and/or Apple. And if you have a DMCA lawyer who has naked photos of a Federal Circuit Court judge, a Federal Appellate Court judge, and five of the nine US Supreme Court justices. And, you know, it really is unbeatable.

You can do whatever with free software you give to people for their computers, but when you're spending other people's money on a mass-market product the fun hacker shortcuts are a lot harder to get away with.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Eccles posted:

Someone please tell me why I should want this. I've run the PC version and am less than impressed. I don't have any locally stored content to play (I can put the disc in the DVD player, thank you very much, if I want to watch one of my movies), and could not care less about the social aspect, having no friends. That leaves about three video podcasts that I enjoy watching every once in a while, which I can to on my PC. Am I simply not the target demographic for this thing, or am I missing something obvious?

Correct. Being what you appear to consider "too good" for locally-stored copies of movies, having no friends, and disliking the interface itself pretty much disqualifies you from any interest in this machine. I'm honestly wondering what you're even doing in here.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Playing with boxee software, just realized once i linked my facebook it shows all the videos my facebook friends post. Thats pretty awesome.

"Don Lapre is watching BREE OLSON SWALLOW CUMPILATION.WMV on Boxee Media Center."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TraderStav posted:

This is why I won't link up my media consumption to Facebook. The last thing I need people (my mom) seeing is the movies my Wife and I choose to watch.

Awkward Thanksgiving anyone?

Not as awkward as that dude in GBS whose long lost sister turned out to be Kacey.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

The software available to download now from the Boxee site is months old. They have been working solely on the Boxee box and fixing the version of the software for that.

There's a high chance that all the bugs have been fixed and new features added, don't judge it by what is there now other than to get a feel for how it works.

They have said that once the Box is out, they will work on getting the downloadable version up to the same level as the Box version.

Oldie but a goodie

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Next-Gen posted:

By the way, music and photos definitely aren't missing; they just moved them to the "Files" tab on the home screen.

Oh, good, they didn't get rid of them, they just filed them away somewhere retarded. Another winning design decision from Team Boxee.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

n0n0 posted:

I mean, it's a fully-featured $199 HTPC.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Chaucer posted:

I am getting my parents an HTPC for Christmas...

Just curious, when they open it on Christmas morning are you going to have to explain to them what an HTPC is?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

And why doesn't Boxee just change the user agent/platform string to make it seem like it's on IE/Windows?

bull3964 posted:

Flash itself reports on the platform it is running on.

Also, Boxee theoretically (if they have half a brain) want to keep the hacker bullshit to a minimum, since these are companies they want to do business with in the future.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

What's the current opinion on Boxee vs Roku? It seems like they have pretty much the same functionality at this point, is there any compelling reason to go with one over the other?

Roku's Netflix support isn't theoretical.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

So which would you say has better long-term viability at this point? I'm going to be buying my first HDTV and a box in the near future and I'd rather not have to get anything new for awhile.

We have not reached the point where there is a conclusively long-term viable box. The One True Box has not come yet, you'd probably be better off spending less money on a Roku and reevaluating the landscape in a year.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Next-Gen posted:

On the netflix front, we're talking about less than 10 days at the most before it becomes available on the boxee box too. They've been holding strong on saying it will be out before the end of the year, so I think waiting maybe a week to see how it turns out isn't a bad idea.

Quoting for posterity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Next-Gen posted:

On the netflix front, we're talking about less than 10 days at the most before it becomes available on the boxee box too. They've been holding strong on saying it will be out before the end of the year, so I think waiting maybe a week to see how it turns out isn't a bad idea.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Next-Gen, on 12/20/2010, posted:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Webbeh posted:

Netflix is still a shitshow on XBMC.

Beats a no-show.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

That's weird, i coulda sworn they said they were giving it away free and it was content that was going to generate revenue.

Really don't know where you'd get that idea, considering Boxee generates zero content.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'd say at this point Netflix sells the boxes more than the boxes sell Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Drevoak posted:

How do .iso's work for TV shows? I'd rather just copy the image than rip each episode but how will boxee box recognize it? Would Boxee recognize each individual episode and if so would it play that episode right on startup or would I have to watch the dvd's intro crap?

For TV shows, which tend to be low on extras anyway, I'm remuxing them into .ts files. Some people go the extra mile and convert to x264 MKVs, but I've got more hard drive space than time. They take the same space as the DVD since the streams are untouched, but you get a file for each episode and can keep commentaries as an alternate audio track. gently caress menus.

• Locked thread