Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is an amazing device and really cool, but if you think this spells the end of cable/satellite in any way, you are seriously deluded. The vast majority of television users out there want "*click*.. on, watch" functionality. As soon as you have to start browsing or streaming or anything even remotely like that that involves more than three button presses, you've alienated 80% of television viewers out there.

Christ, most mainstream television watchers are confused by modern remote controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Fister posted:

I dont' see why you can't get that same sort of idiot proof system in these connected media players

I'm sure you can, but to get it in that sort of state, out of the box, would relegate it to just being cable in another form. If if it's just cable with a shiny new paint job, that won't entice many people to ditch their existing cable. Satellite was able to draw a ton of people away from cable, because it genuinely offered a lot more content, but still had a very basic approach to how that content is selected and view. Boxee offers another step up in content, but to it's detriment there's a level of competency required to take full advantage of it that most viewers simply do not have. When most people take a minute to figure out how to change the input mode when they want to watch a DVD, streaming from a computer is the equivalent of asking them to terraform Mars with a shovel and a photo of Ben Vareen.

Don't get me wrong, I think this sort of thing is the future, but the date when that happens is still nebulous and hazy, and very likely still far, far away.

EDIT: Oh drat, and I just saw it's being made by D-Link. Yikes, I can't speak for everyone but I and everyone I've known who's had a D-Link router has had nothing but problems with them. Not that it matters anyway, as being in Canada means 90% of the content this thing can access is blocked to me.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 7, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, I was just talking to someone about the Boxee Box earlier today, and after saying the name out loud for the first time..... Boxee Box is a really dumb name. Sounds like something a 5 year old would call a DVD player when they didn't know the actual name for it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Was yours just stuck in with misc PC stuff too? I was honestly ready to give up when I saw this black box with a hint of green and went "HMM!"

It was like a treasure hunt, sorta. Treasure I had to pay $200 for.

I love when you come across some hidden little thing when your browsing around a big box store. I was just in a Best Buy a month ago when I was walking along:

"drat, they've got no copies of StarcrHELLLLOOOOOO, what's this!? The full series box set of Kids in The Hall.... right net the the full box set of Monty Python's Flying Circus?!? SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think I might be ready finally to get a Boxee. I mainly want to use it for Netflix and various web video streaming sites (and I want to dump my XBox Live Gold subscription I'm paying for Netflix right now). What's performance like for 1080p Netflix video? Any stutters or hitches, or can I expect the same performance I get from my 360? Same with web vids, do they play pretty much as well as I'd expect them to play on my desktop browser?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool, I was just curious because I had watched a review from Tested, which was admittedly the launch firmware, and the Boxee almost seemed like it was struggling to display the UI smoothly, let alone videos.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 16, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Has there been any word if that's something they want to improve in the future, or do they just take a "whatever, that's the way it is" attitude?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think I should be okay..... *cough* 100mbs *cough*.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VERTiG0 posted:

I've never had a problem playing videos streamed off of a website (though I do hate the loving ads they throw in there every so often, yet still better than paying for cable).

All that and I only have a 10mbps connection - and I'm in Canada for gently caress sakes.

Good to hear, I'm a fellow Canuck as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So I went and got a box the other day, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Anyone know if you can use a wireless mouse with the box, or will it only work with wired? Or, are there any other remotes out there, possibly something like the Roku remote with the gyroscope in it? Using the standard remote when there's a pointing cursor on screen is annoying as hell.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I tried the wireless mouse thing, and it was less than promising. It worked in the browser, but the scroll wheel didn't work, and if I used the keypad, it would steal focus from the mouse, and then mouse clicks wouldn't work until I hit one the directional buttons on the face of the remote.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Prefect Six posted:

How well are sports supported on this thing? If my cable provider gives me ESPN 360 does it support that? I know it probably won't have regular ESPN content, but if it still has 360 that'd be nice.

I'm looking at dropping my sattelite and xbox gold in favor of this.

Everything the Boxee does is web-based. So if there's a website where you login and can watch ESPN 360, or there's specifically a Boxee app that lets you watch ESPN 360, then you'll be fine. Your cable provider doesn't really enter into the equation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looks like Giant Bomb has their new app out. It's a bit buggy in that it works as it should right off the bat, but if you try and link your Whiskey account, it then bugs out and doesn't display any content. If you simply restart the app, it works again, but your account is still unlinked so you just get SD content.

Dave Snider has mentioned they're aware of the bug and have already submitted a fix. Still though, I nice change from their old app which was really clumsy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe the battery died.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

So tired of the poo poo selection on netflix canada

While a lot better, Netflix US is not exactly chock full of amazing programming either.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VERTiG0 posted:

Do you have more than 10 terabytes of content because goddamn

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to fault the Boxee when your trying to feed more data than a typical television network has in their digital archives into a 5x5 box.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cornjob posted:

My BB is accessing several networked drives from my PC flawlessly. However, two drives are asking for a username and password when i try to access them.

In windows, theyre shared, and not password protected. Any ideas?

Is it maybe trying to access those drives through the Guest account, which may be set up with a user/pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Boxee is known for choking on terrible music.

• Locked thread