Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Star Trek (2009).avi is now Shanghai Noon for me.

I recall that somebody had this exact problem on the XBMC forums and the cause was that the .nfo file that came with the movie had the incorrect IMDB URL inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

jonathan posted:

Does anyone else find that 16:9 content often doesn't show up as 16:9 ? There are very small letterboxing top and bottom. I have the screen scaled correctly, tv is 1080p over hdmi, and the boxee is set to 1080p.

What is the exact resolution of a file you are playing where you are noticing this problem?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

jonathan posted:

I'm trying to find out the exact resolution however boxee box refuses to show any info about the file. It's the "Scott pilgrim vs the world" 1080p mkv, however windows and boxee don't like to tell me about it. It appears to be a 16:9 movie but I can't be certain. It's not specifically this movie though. for example, I have Blood into Wine encoded in 720p, and it takes up the whole screen just fine. But lots of movies dont. I'm talking a 1/2" of letterboxing top and bottom, as if the video was clearly meant to take up the whole screen, but isnt.

Scott Pilgrim is 1920x1040 on the Blu-Ray so the small amount of letterboxing is expected. That isn't an uncommon resolution for movies, but yeah, I can understand why you might think that it is supposed to be filling the screen when it is that close. Blood into Wine is straight 16:9 so no letterboxing there.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

AlexF posted:

But Chuck (as a series shot with 16:9 TV in mind) shouldn't have it, right? It's not even taken from a DVD or Bluray, but straight up ripped from NBC HD. Yet here they are. Like I said, it doesn't bother me anymore, but it's strange nonetheless.

What's the resolution on the file? Lower quality files use resolutions that are close to 16:9, but aren't exactly 16:9 so you sometimes get black bars on the top/bottom or left/right. If you are playing a 720p capture of Chuck and you are seeing letterboxing, then something is wrong.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Odette posted:

Would 100mbit be fast enough for full 1080p? As that's pretty much the max speed of my router.

Full blu-ray tops out at about 40Mbit peaks so if we are talking a further compressed 1080p file, then you have lots of headroom on 100Mbit. I used to stream 1080p over 100Mbit a while ago just fine. Obviously your experience will vary depending on how much network activity you have while streaming.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 16, 2012

• Locked thread