Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
For those who are worried about the unpractical design not fitting into your home theater setup... can't you just turn the drat thing on it's side? It's a totally square cube except for that one corner that's cut off. Should be perfectly stackable if you turn it a bit, it's all solid-state inside, and if you arrange things right you shouldn't even be able to see the odd cut-off corner. Either way, I love the design.

Man, I'm loving this beta. Somehow it encourages me to try out random new internet video - something I usually avoid like the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

:ughh: They've already figured out how to beat changing your UserAgent, they figured it out within hours of the tip disseminating. The Flash plugin is still happy to inform whatever server it's interfacing with what OS it's running on, and if people figure out a way to change that they'll figure out something else. The '90s are over, media companies aren't retarded anymore. No box you can get at Best Buy is going to access their content if they don't want it to.

How possible would it be for Boxee to set up their software so that when the flash plugin queries the OS, it tells it that it's some version of Windows or OSX or Linux? I mean, it's not like there's an unlimited amount of different info streams your computer is broadcasting to Hulu that identify what OS you're running. How many could there be? Once you spoof all 3 or 5 or 10 of them, what else can they do? Your IP isn't going to look any different. The way it interacts with Hulu's servers is that same... that is, would deep packet sniffing even help identify what device is sending the requests?

The only reason Hulu and other sites can tell you're using Boxee or GTV or whatever is because your software is straight-forwardly labeling itself as whatever it is and directly telling those websites, and I don't think it's a legal requirement for them to do so or anything. Maybe I just don't have enough imagination, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out. They're all just PCs when it comes down to it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

You can do whatever with free software you give to people for their computers, but when you're spending other people's money on a mass-market product the fun hacker shortcuts are a lot harder to get away with.

Ah, good point, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I thought you seemed confident enough that there was something I wasn't thinking of. Now I understand what you were saying with the "you'll never be able to buy a box in a store that does this" sentiment (or whoever said that).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Eccles posted:

Someone please tell me why I should want this. I've run the PC version and am less than impressed. I don't have any locally stored content to play (I can put the disc in the DVD player, thank you very much, if I want to watch one of my movies), and could not care less about the social aspect, having no friends. That leaves about three video podcasts that I enjoy watching every once in a while, which I can to on my PC. Am I simply not the target demographic for this thing, or am I missing something obvious?

One thing it's really good for is sorting through all the heaps of video content on the internet and finding the things that you would actually be interested in watching. I guarantee there are videos on the internet that you'd enjoy watching that you don't know about, and probably a lot of them; this is basically true for everyone. It's usually a pain just using youtube or google & a browser to try to find new, worthwhile content, so I can understand why you would have a "don't want to bother, I already have plenty of stuff to watch" for that method, but it really does make it so much easier, it shifts the risk/reward ratio so highly in your favor that it's almost foolish not to at least check it out a bit. Really that's just an argument for the Boxee software in general, not the box, though. But, hey, if you don't like the interface to begin with, yeah, it's probably not for you.

To go on a tangent, I think stuff like this is gonna get more and more popular. Tech is making it so much easier to make good media either by yourself or by finding other people to team up with, and manufacturing jobs & the like are getting harder and harder to come by, there are more and more people trying and succeeding to make a little extra money making webcomics or podcasts or games or whatever - blue collar artists, in a sense. But with such a deluge of content, services like Netflix's movie recommendations that can help match up each person with the 1% of the internet content that they want to see (and inversely can match up each product with the .1% of the audience that would be interested) are going to be massively successful.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

If Boxee wants to make money, they need to start selling that remote separately. It's pretty freakin' slick, right? Could they sell it for an attractive price point? What communication does it work off of?

• Locked thread