Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Farchanter posted:

Are there opinions of the Citi Double Cash?

I think it's the best 2% cash back card right now. Beats the Fidelity AMEX by being MasterCard so acceptance is almost anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bisty Q. posted:

don't carry a balance.

If you simply must, this thread won't help you, BTs never earn rewards.
Actually, there are occasionally offers for Barclays cards that will give 1 mile per dollar of balance transfers in the first 90 days. But often the higher APR/fee kills any benefit you'd get from that.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Josh Lyman posted:

My Chase Freedom Mastercard got switched to a chip + PIN Visa which means I no longer have a Mastercard. I use my Amex Blue Cash for gas and grocery as well as electronics for the extended warranty, my Citi Forward Visa for restaurants/Amazon, and my Freedom whenever it's a 5% cash back category. Is there a Mastercard that's worth getting? I have accounts with BoA, Chase, and Citi.

If you travel much at all, consider the Barclay Arrival Plus. There are two versions, one with an annual fee (waived the first year) and one without a fee. The one with the fee is a 2.2% card as long as you redeem for very broadly defined travel expenses. It has no foreign transaction fee. After a year you can figure out whether it's worth the annual fee; if not you can just convert to the non-fee version (which is 2.2% on travel and dining and 1.1% on everything else, again as long as you redeem against travel expenses).

If you don't travel at all, then Citi Double Cash MC is the product you want.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Farchanter posted:

Are there opinions of the Citi Double Cash?

We should really fix that OP now...

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Bisty Q. posted:

It is a no brainer to apply for 100K but redeeming them on domestic flights is stupid if you have any desire at all to travel internationally; you can get far better bang for your buck redeeming for premium cabin intl flights.

It's also an even better deal to apply for 100K now, the airline credit is per calendar year, so if you can get one in 2014 and one in 2015, there's $400 right there.

I have to take yet another trip to Japan in 2016...would it be worth it to get the points quickly and use them to buy the ticket and cancel, or do you need to have the card open to use the points?

What's the spend for the 100K points?

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

LorneReams posted:

I have to take yet another trip to Japan in 2016...would it be worth it to get the points quickly and use them to buy the ticket and cancel, or do you need to have the card open to use the points?

What's the spend for the 100K points?

For me, the spend is $3k in 3 months.

From what I understand you can cancel after you get the points, and you keep the points as well as pay a prorated annual fee. Potentially you could also get $100 reimbursement for global entry, use the $200 for some gift certificates (Delta only), then cancel and you would come out way ahead.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

PittPanther posted:

For me, the spend is $3k in 3 months.

From what I understand you can cancel after you get the points, and you keep the points as well as pay a prorated annual fee. Potentially you could also get $100 reimbursement for global entry, use the $200 for some gift certificates (Delta only), then cancel and you would come out way ahead.

You can also use the $200 on Southwest Gift Cards as well.

I haven't used the lounge benefit - I'm highly tempted to buy a refundable ticket to check out the new one in SFO though.

Global Entry was definitely worth it though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, AMEX Platinum is at the very least worth a year for the Global Entry + $400 in airline certificates. The lounge access is getting pretty crappy unfortunately.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Bisty Q. posted:

don't carry a balance.

If you simply must, this thread won't help you, BTs never earn rewards.

Sorry I should have clarified. The current balance was an unexpected expenditure a few months ago and it will be paid off relatively soon. I'm mostly looking for a new card with better rewards (than my current WF platinum) to use to pay monthly bills etc and earn mostly travel rewards, with cash back being a secondary bonus. Balance transfer really isn't that important, I am fine just paying it off where it is I suppose. We just love to travel a lot and want to get as much out of a card as we can.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 6, 2014

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, AMEX Platinum is at the very least worth a year for the Global Entry + $400 in airline certificates. The lounge access is getting pretty crappy unfortunately.

Depends on where you live. Definitely losing US Air and AA hurts. But if you live in NY for example, there's a Centurion lounge at LGA, which you can use with any airline, as well as a Delta lounge at both JFK and LaGuardia, if you're flying Delta. There are also a handful of lounges that you can access with the Priority Pass program in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I have created a new thread.

Please help me correct anything I'm wrong about and give me more recommendations, especially miles and points based cards.

• Locked thread