Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

nessin posted:

Anyone know of some pre-made printable terrain? Not the kind your fold/glue/otherwise put together, just flat printouts you can cut out and lay on a table. In the realm of printing out a flat circle with an overhead view of a tree or a few designs of building internals versus place a glass for a tree and toothpicks to denote walls I'd prefer the former for trying things out before trying to find a better solution given my space limitations. I know I could probably print out some RPG battlemaps and cut out what I want but hoping to find something less painful to my printer ink.

Grab a Loke battlemat book with one of their accessory packs? It's that or print random free stuff off Drivethru RPG and in my experience that always ends up being a lot more time, effort and color printing costs than I initially plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Grab a Loke battlemat book with one of their accessory packs? It's that or print random free stuff off Drivethru RPG and in my experience that always ends up being a lot more time, effort and color printing costs than I initially plan.

1985 Games also has cut-out terrain sets

https://1985games.com/collections/dungeon-craft

I haven't tried the terrain sets, but I do have one of their mats and it's pretty decent (Though I mostly only use it partially unfolded for Mörk Boll).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MCPeePants posted:

I can't find a source, but my understanding is that it's in the standard 28-32mm scale common to most minis games, but the spartan models will stand more like ~38mm tall because they're genetically enhanced supersoldiers. It's on Deadzone's 3" grid system, and using that same hard plastic terrain, so it's sorta constrained to play nice in that respect.

I mean, that's kind of reassuring but also still has the same problem if not technically being in the wrong scale. Like, huge rear end Spartan models is cool, but I will not be able to use them in other games because when compared to supersoldiers from other lines, they'll be comically oversized. Enforcers from Deadzone are a good example. They're going to look like children next to Spartans. There's nothing really wrong with that, but it means I'm not going to want to mix models like I would with figures from other games, so I'm really only going to play with them if I'm playing Halo specifically. So if it's popular and people are playing it here, I'm might grab a pack as I already have Deadzone terrain and playmats. I just don't want to buy them and have no one locally playing and those models effectively existing to gather dust.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

38mm would put them on par with 'average' figs these days as the industry has crept to like 36-42mm now.

I just measured a bunch of Necromunda dorks I had within arms' reach and Delaque, Enforcers, and Gor Half-Horn are all like 37-39mm from the bottom of their feet to the top of the head. Amusingly, just basic Goliath gangers are looking a bit wee and they are supposed to be the big burly ones. Even moderns are real big now. I'd have to dig them out, but I have some of the new Spectre goons and they seemed huge compared to how I remember their original metals (and their noodle gun barrels)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess I genuinely prefer 25-28mm as a scale and I'm not a fan of this gradual creeping up to 32-36mm. Tables just aren't big enough to accommodate the models at a certain point, though I do get why some skirmish games like Crisis Protocol are leaning into the larger models when there are only like 4-8 figures a side.

I like looking at my MESBG collection and those models are crisp, sufficiently detailed, and fit nicely on their 25mm round bases with minimal (if any) overhang. Frankly, it's the larger bases and scale that really demotivates me from playing modern GW games aside from MESBG.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

yeah... that is one of my complaints about The Old World in that everything moving up in base sizes is great for ranking stuff up, but everything feels 'loose' like they are getting ready to do calisthenic drills rather than smashing faces. And it doesn't help with the 'wall o' dudes' with certain armies as you can get to a point where you are limited in movement options other than 'go forward'.

Not too long ago I ran across my stash of Red Box Games metals that I have and they are soooooo t i n y compared to everything else. Even the Otherworld metals in the same drawer were pretty burly in comparison. Part of the reason why they are lingering in a drawer is that I don't know what to pair them with to have an adversary force that isn't off scale to them.

To be fair with Crisis Protocol, a larger scale helps with painting crazy details on superhero costumes, but being a bigger scale certainly didn't do them any favors in terms of people having 'appropriate' terrain.

I doubt it will happen as the trend seems to have passed a few years ago, but I wonder if scales will 'flip' at some point and the new hotness will be some 15-20mm game that is platoon-level, like 30-50ish figs per side? Surely things can't creep to the point where an average dude in 10-15 years is getting close to 50mm?

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Truly, Shadowrun Duels was simply ahead of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Cohors Cthulhu Tactics is an upcoming solo/coop wargame (Kickstarter in June) where you lead units from the world of Ancient Rome into battle with Mythos gribblies and hopefully win. Modiphius released a 32-page preview of the system on Friday which they call a Prologue.

Cohors Cthulhu Tactics Prologue here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/480526/Cohors-Cthulhu-Tactics-Prologue-Quickstart--PDF

If you are interested in what I think are the unique mechanics of the wargame, I've highlighted them on my blog here in about three pages: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2024/05/cohors-cthulhu-tactics-prologue-book.html