Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Aurigan Coalition, so apparently primarily armed with FedSuns export infantry kit from a generation or two back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Given that my chance of an IRL RPG game has dropped to basically zero, I decided to see if I could use some of my little used Sci-Fi terrain with 5 Parsecs. I rolled up my crew and printed off some dutchmogul figures:

They're not going to win any competitions but with a 3hr print time and 30 minutes with contrast paints I can at least get them on the table to have another run at the game. Last time I played 5 Leagues I was a little underwhelmed by the actual game, so let's see how this goes...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Southern Heel posted:

Given that my chance of an IRL RPG game has dropped to basically zero, I decided to see if I could use some of my little used Sci-Fi terrain with 5 Parsecs. I rolled up my crew and printed off some dutchmogul figures:

They're not going to win any competitions but with a 3hr print time and 30 minutes with contrast paints I can at least get them on the table to have another run at the game. Last time I played 5 Leagues I was a little underwhelmed by the actual game, so let's see how this goes...

I advise you don't leave every encounter up to the tables in the book. When you get squared off against enemies with short ranged or melee weapons when you are kitted out with rifles, the game can get dull as you slaughter them.

Plus, make the AI smarter, or be willing to move your models around. Static firefights are also dull.

Advice from a guy that played 12+ linked scenarios of 5 Parsecs.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've been in a two year tabletop gaming hiatus, but tomorrow I'll try to kick off some of that rust with my first game of Hobgoblin. There's a small but enthusiastic local group for it here, and we're basically using it to play with our ancient WHFB armies.

I've made a super basic 4 000 pts army, so 10 units, almost no strengths or weaknesses, no magic. That means three medium sized goblin units, a bunch of light cavalry, some boar rider heavy cavalry, a ballista, a giant and a squig herd.

I look forward to see how it turns out. I watched most of a previous game night, and I was surprised by how fast and deadly the combat resolution is. I think there was like, 6-7 units killed in a single turn of close combat.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Has anyone played Moedipus' Mythic Commander? Looking for an excuse to get Warmaster stuff

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I opened it last week and it seems fun. I haven't had time to get a game in yet. Very simple activation system, looks to be designed so you can easily swap out DBA based figures etc. Could do with an extra sheet of counters TBH.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I've continued playing Dystopian Wars 3e and reached a critical mass of opinions to write a full review of it. Short of a major core rules update, I can't see my opinion changing.
https://yadzcb.friestman.net/dw3-review.html

tl;dr I'll continue to play it, but I'm going to do scenarios with specific forces and avoid pickup or tournament games of it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Here is an interesting interview between Ash Barker (youtube Guerrilla Miniature Games, Last Days, Gamma Wolves) and Ivan Sorensen (Five Parsecs from Home, Five Leagues from the Borderlands, Weasel-Tech) on the day-to-day challenges of being a game designer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9DCu2KKY8

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I already asked in the chat thread and got a ton of good suggestions, but I figure I'd ask here too:

I'm looking for a game to play with my wife, who is a near complete beginner at these kinds of games, that's easy to learn and get into. We've played Gaslands (which is an incredible game btw). There's not much of a tabletop scene yet in this country outside of the very big cities so it doesn't need to be something super popular, something less mainstream that's really good is totally fine. Also it's be nice if the entry cost isn't too high. It doesn't need to be exclusively for 2 player as I can organize a group game, though it should be fun for just 2 players.

No GW games because I want to paint and collect something different for a change.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Here is an interesting interview between Ash Barker (youtube Guerrilla Miniature Games, Last Days, Gamma Wolves) and Ivan Sorensen (Five Parsecs from Home, Five Leagues from the Borderlands, Weasel-Tech) on the day-to-day challenges of being a game designer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9DCu2KKY8

On the topic of being a game designer, Mike Hutchinson (Gaslands, A Billion Suns, Hobgoblin) recently quit his day job to game design full-time and just put rules for a new game after I guess going down a rabbit hole of deciding he was going to mod chess.

Flagstone: a #Chess28 Game

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

a7m2 posted:

I already asked in the chat thread and got a ton of good suggestions, but I figure I'd ask here too:

I'm looking for a game to play with my wife, who is a near complete beginner at these kinds of games, that's easy to learn and get into. We've played Gaslands (which is an incredible game btw). There's not much of a tabletop scene yet in this country outside of the very big cities so it doesn't need to be something super popular, something less mainstream that's really good is totally fine. Also it's be nice if the entry cost isn't too high. It doesn't need to be exclusively for 2 player as I can organize a group game, though it should be fun for just 2 players.

No GW games because I want to paint and collect something different for a change.

Forbidden Psalm, Rangers of Shadow Deep, Horizon Wars: Zero Dark, Sword Weirdos come to mind.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

a7m2 posted:

If you want something rather rules light, that doesn't need a ton of minis and that gives a lot of leeway to pick a handful of miniatures you fancy, I think Frostgrave might be an option? Our club had a grand time with it, including with some people who were new to minis games, until the campaign rules kinda started showing how unfair they were after a dozen games or so.

The big selling point is that a warband is pretty much a mage, an apprentice, and then a handful of mooks. And beyond that, anything goes, just pick minis you like and find a way to use them. Is your team's paladin a black orc? Sure. Is your chronomancer and apprentice a goofy looking gnoll and a cute gnome carrying scrolls? Why not. My team was a bunch of random halflings that I wanted to paint up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

a7m2 posted:

Battletech Alpha Strike is probably a good fit. The starter box is probably all you would need for awhile, and between 3D printing and the new mech packs, building up a collection is easy and affordable. There's not all that much to track and it's super easy compared to Battletech proper.

Deadzone by Mantic Games is another pretty good skirmish game that doesn't require many minis and has relatively slick rules. The nice thing about it is if you aren't feeling the rules, you can still use the models in something like Stargrave.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

If you want something rather rules light, that doesn't need a ton of minis and that gives a lot of leeway to pick a handful of miniatures you fancy, I think Frostgrave might be an option? Our club had a grand time with it, including with some people who were new to minis games, until the campaign rules kinda started showing how unfair they were after a dozen games or so.

The big selling point is that a warband is pretty much a mage, an apprentice, and then a handful of mooks. And beyond that, anything goes, just pick minis you like and find a way to use them. Is your team's paladin a black orc? Sure. Is your chronomancer and apprentice a goofy looking gnoll and a cute gnome carrying scrolls? Why not. My team was a bunch of random halflings that I wanted to paint up.

My only issue with Frostgrave (other than the trap magic schools like you discussed) are that you do need a deceptively large amount of models to cover all the summons, enemy monsters, etc. Rangers of Shadow Deep says it's a solo game but my wife and I played it together no problem.

The guy from that video Ivan Sorenson's games could also work, who publishes as Nordic Weasel Games, though he's been focusing more on solo experiences recently.

For a wild card from the historicals side might I suggest De Bellis Antiquitatis (mostly known as DBA online)? It's an ancients wargame that covers 3000BC to 1500AD and is cheap to get into. Each army only consists of 12 "elements" or bases of troops, totaling maybe fifty 15mm models all said and done for a full army. You can just print paper stand-ins to try it out, and it plays on a 2x2' board. The rules are written like it's the 1970's but there is a massive, massive playerbase that can answer any questions you might have. It's designed to be set up and played in 40 minutes and there is a multi-player Big Battle version as well.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

a7m2 posted:

To add to the list Silver Bayonet can be head to head or co-op - each unit is about 8 characters and then there's a few monsters (there's more monsters in solo than 2-player, but I think it's lass than Frostgrave or Stargrave). There's also short 2-player and solo campaigns in the main book and both expansions (Carpathians: Castle Fier and Canada). It's by the same guy who did Stargrave, Frostgrave, and Rangers of Shadow Deep.

Though one big flaw with it is the variety of soldier types that are hard to find in regular Napoleonics so you pretty much have to use the mini line from North Star unless you get really creative (Though the North Star minis ARE pretty nice).

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Without knowing what theme or vibe you're going for, here's some of my fav mini wargames that require minimum buy in with two minor exceptions.

Pulp Alley is incredibly cool and easy to run with minis you already have, you will need one of their objective decks though.

Magnagothica: Maleghast is an incredible game, played on a chess board two teams of horrible guys with variations of metal themes fighting for supremacy, plays quick and rules.

Any of Kevin Rahman's https://www.forbiddenpsalm.com/forbidden-psalm games, they're all standalone and pick the theme that grabs you most.

Seconding the chat threads Moonstone recommendation, bluffing is so fun and the combat is a delight to resolve. The website has free rules, and print and play everything but terrain, board and dice.

Relatedly and my second fav miniatures line would be Malifaux, which is quite nice in 3e, steampunk/horror gangs fighting for glory and power. < Maybe the most expensive to get into but the models are awesome.

Techno Bowl if you're looking for an indie 2p sports game, extremely interesting use of the Powered by the Apocalypse engine.

Relatedly Rogue Planet is by the same designer and has so many Extremely Interesting twists on standard play while being extremely simple to resolve.

The podcast I co-host, Fortified Niche has a review for each of these and happy to explain any in depth.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Springfield Fatts posted:

For a wild card from the historicals side might I suggest De Bellis Antiquitatis (mostly known as DBA online)? It's an ancients wargame that covers 3000BC to 1500AD and is cheap to get into. Each army only consists of 12 "elements" or bases of troops, totaling maybe fifty 15mm models all said and done for a full army. You can just print paper stand-ins to try it out, and it plays on a 2x2' board. The rules are written like it's the 1970's but there is a massive, massive playerbase that can answer any questions you might have. It's designed to be set up and played in 40 minutes and there is a multi-player Big Battle version as well.

I have a big soft spot for DBA. It's fast to play, rewards good tactics, and a painted army is big enough to be a meaningful hobby accomplishment, but small enough not to be a daunting task. 48 15mm miniatures can be painted to a "looks good on the table" standard in a surprisingly short amount of time.

40-45 minutes is about right for Knights-heavy armies like 100 Year War. Blades- and Spear-heavy armies (Romans and Carthaginians for example) can take over an hour since there's a lot of pushbacks before you start eliminating stands. I once set up the terrain for two experienced players with light cavalry and/or camel armies and that took two hours, because I can be a real bastard when setting up a game for people who I know can handle it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

a7m2 posted:

Marvel Crisis Protocol is a pretty good entry level game. n-thing Moonstone as well.

Random left field option: Skytear.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cassa posted:

Any of Kevin Rahman's https://www.forbiddenpsalm.com/forbidden-psalm games, they're all standalone and pick the theme that grabs you most.

Techno Bowl if you're looking for an indie 2p sports game, extremely interesting use of the Powered by the Apocalypse engine.

Related to these two, Mörk Boll by Rahman is a very fun sports game - you just need an 11x20 grid (I played it on a regular-rear end RPG map and taped out the borders and relevant lines), 5 minis (and a mascot) per side, a ref that's run by a simple AI, and maybe a few Random Idiot minis.

Play football with crossbows and molotovs! Cast a spell that prevents the ref from calling fouls! Score a touchdown with the severed head of a foe (Or teammate)! Get killed by an angry ref and send in the cat your team calls a mascot!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

On the topic of being a game designer, Mike Hutchinson (Gaslands, A Billion Suns, Hobgoblin) recently quit his day job to game design full-time and just put rules for a new game after I guess going down a rabbit hole of deciding he was going to mod chess.

Flagstone: a #Chess28 Game

Huh. Hrm. Well then.

https://planetsmashergames.com/chess28/

quote:

The #chess28 Manifesto
We seek to liberate the chess board from a millennium of tedium. Let the richly-painted warriors of a thousand worlds battle across their checkered fields! Let the clatter of dice despoil their cold and logical perfection! Let the chess board be a playground of the imagination!

We demand that chess be miniatures-agnostic. If a game prostitutes the chess board to the pageantry of painted figures, let it be #chess28.
We demand that chess submit to the capricious whims of fate. If a game corrupts the use of the chess board by admitting chance, let it be #chess28.
28mm is a lie. #chess28 cares nothing for scale. If a miniature fits upon a chess square, let it be #chess28.

:smaugstare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The whole rabbit hole of _____28 games is absolutely wild

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! I have no shortage of games to look into now!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

And now Mike Hutchinson has an interview with Ash Barker up on Guerilla Miniature Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSCDH1BLVD4

It's cool that GMG has started doing videos like this in addition to the gameplay videos

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

a7m2 posted:

The new Fallout: Factions game that's coming out might be right up your alley. It's super easy to play and teach, and it's good for both one-off games and campaigns.

https://www.goonhammer.com/fallout-factions-launch-event-and-preview/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ijEX1fTMms

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The new Fallout: Factions game that's coming out might be right up your alley. It's super easy to play and teach, and it's good for both one-off games and campaigns.

Thanks for the heads up! If the models end up being affordable where I live I might go for it!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This look interesting, any word on if/when they're bringing west coast stuff into it? I got a few NCR troopers a while back but wasn't interested in the rules

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Has anyone had a look at Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark? It's meant to be an update to the original Horizon Wars, which was OK. There's a paid preview/light version I'm not sure about spending a few quid on, which is stingy, I know.

All I really remember is that the author doesn't believe in (the standard wargaming conception of) APCs, which, good for him for taking a stand against the Gavin menace.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
also dude can stick to a naming scheme but dear lord is it not the best

horizon wars
horizon wars zero dark (skirmish)
horizon wars infinite dark (space)
horizon wars midnight dark (the first one again)

I get what he was going for but come on

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think he's also done a third-party development of horizon wars called hardwar but I refuse to learn about games called hardwar that don't involve moths and light wells.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Has anyone had a look at Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark?

I picked up a copy and gave it a runthrough:

https://asciolist.org/2024/01/06/horizon-wars-midnight-dark/
https://asciolist.org/2024/01/26/horizon-wars-solo-game/

My conclusion was that it needed a bit of proof reading, nothing dramatic but I had a few points of confusion after reading it. In particular the solo game I tried and documented above ended swiftly, perhaps because I had to make some assumptions about missing deployment rules in the scenario!

I did play half a proper game against someone shortly after that, but didn't take notes or anything. Worked better than the solo play. Honestly, I had the most fun designing my units, and would like to see the upgrade tables expanded to have even more options to toy around with.

The author has since released an FAQ/errata but I haven't played it since then, so hopefully they addressed some of the questions I had.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I was sure I'd read something about it on one of the good blogs from this thread, I just couldn't for the life of me find yours.

Ta.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

on one of the good blogs

There's your mistake, should have looked through the bad ones instead and you'd find it right away.

I just went to check out the FAQ and saw the author recently released an abbreviated ruleset for like three bucks:

https://www.wargamevault.com/m/product/475901

Edit: oh you mentioned it in your original post but here's a link for anyone else at least

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 1, 2024

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a7m2 posted:

Play One Page Rules https://www.onepagerules.com/

Rules are here:
https://www.onepagerules.com/resources

Army Builder here:
https://army-forge.onepagerules.com/

You can learn/teach the game in 10 minutes.
You can use whatever miniatures you have laying around

They have a free starter kit for Grimdark and Fantasy: https://www.onepagerules.com/get-started
Their paper standup minis are free now: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/publisher/16079/onepagerules?affiliate_id=2357452

It's a really fun game that moves really quick

also you can make really stupid army lists
https://army-forge.onepagerules.com/share?id=sIqG6yfZniTe&name=Vamire_on%20Dragon%20with%20Dragons

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 1, 2024

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

While we are discussing rule sets again, has anyone heard of or played Yafisga from Black Site Studios?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

2nding onepagerules. It's really solid and a great way to get people into the hobby

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Jonny Nox posted:

Play One Page Rules https://www.onepagerules.com/

Rules are here:
https://www.onepagerules.com/resources

Army Builder here:
https://army-forge.onepagerules.com/

You can learn/teach the game in 10 minutes.
You can use whatever miniatures you have laying around

They have a free starter kit for Grimdark and Fantasy: https://www.onepagerules.com/get-started
Their paper standup minis are free now: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/publisher/16079/onepagerules?affiliate_id=2357452

It's a really fun game that moves really quick

also you can make really stupid army lists
https://army-forge.onepagerules.com/share?id=sIqG6yfZniTe&name=Vamire_on%20Dragon%20with%20Dragons

I was just debating whether to ask questions about this game here or in the 40k thread, since it's mostly that with the numbers filed off. Has anyone made roughly balanced teams for the rest of the armies to start?
I think we're going to play skirmish to start with, and then paint up teams as we go. I'm looking for a team of elite, chunky bois. But I know little enough about 40k that generic names are even harder to plan with. What teams would let me field a group of big, tough monsters? I know custodian brothers are an option, but I want to be a gross monster team.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I ordered a starter for Moonstone. If I can't convince anyone to play at least the models are nice.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Beast Pussy posted:

I was just debating whether to ask questions about this game here or in the 40k thread, since it's mostly that with the numbers filed off. Has anyone made roughly balanced teams for the rest of the armies to start?
I think we're going to play skirmish to start with, and then paint up teams as we go. I'm looking for a team of elite, chunky bois. But I know little enough about 40k that generic names are even harder to plan with. What teams would let me field a group of big, tough monsters? I know custodian brothers are an option, but I want to be a gross monster team.

Alien Hives are your buddies there.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

That's where I was leaning.
Is there a model difference between a hive warrior and a veteran warrior? I've got a handful of the models I subscribed for during the pandemic, but I'm not sure what kit can be built into which thing. The hive warrior kit, for example, has 17 weapons and optional wings, but each grunt type seems to be its own kit (except maybe psycho and support?). What would a good skirmish team that I can build into a kaiju army look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Beast Pussy posted:

That's where I was leaning.
Is there a model difference between a hive warrior and a veteran warrior? I've got a handful of the models I subscribed for during the pandemic, but I'm not sure what kit can be built into which thing. The hive warrior kit, for example, has 17 weapons and optional wings, but each grunt type seems to be its own kit (except maybe psycho and support?). What would a good skirmish team that I can build into a kaiju army look like?

Veteran warrior is basically the hero version of the warrior. Usually you kit it out with something nice and attach it to a unit of warriors. They can then use it's quality for morale tests. (and serve as ablative armor for the hero) You can use whichever model you like more for whatever unit, just make sure your opponent knows which is which.

if you're looking for OPR psycho or support grunts, they don't exist yet. They were added for 3.0 which was after the mini run. Gaetano has said that they are coming, but he doesn't know when. I think people will just proxy in whatever.

I don't have a list and I don't make great lists anyways but just put some stuff together and try it. Proxy stuff in until you find stuff you like. (I made this, but this is dumb: https://army-forge.onepagerules.com/share?id=VZ722iS_w2yq&name=Alien_Hives%20Kaizu)

but if you want Kaiju, Dragon Trappers have you covered https://army-forge.onepagerules.com...ijRGtjthDVmg_hx
(It's not a practical army book and isn't really meant to be)