Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fix posted:

Check
This
poo poo
Out

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Papercraft terrain sellers. They've got stuff for sci-fi, modern, fantasy, horror, etc. Ten or so sets per genre. They've even got some stuff you can put together for BFG or other space based games, replacement boards for Space Hulk, etc.

Definitely getting some of this for Infinity when the time comes.

Here's a youtube of them putting some together, using a fantasy set.

Edit: And here is a video of using their custom terrain creation software so you can design your own boards.

FFFFFFFUUUUU

So you print the stuff off yourself, but what's up with the first video there? It seems like he's put the terrain tiles he's printed out onto something that he's using to connect the sections. Is that a physical product you have to buy or do you have to print out and make those too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
You print them out, do some cutting, and mount them to pieces of foamcore you've cut according to templates. Then you make little foamcore tabs to join them together. It's a bit time consuming but it's actually really easy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FirstCongoWar posted:

You print them out, do some cutting, and mount them to pieces of foamcore you've cut according to templates. Then you make little foamcore tabs to join them together. It's a bit time consuming but it's actually really easy.

Ahhh. I take it the stuff comes with plans for the foamcore when you buy it, then?

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Yeah, every floor piece is either 3x3, 6x6, or a hallway, and there are some standard templates that fit them. Pieces like posts and walls aren't mounted on anything so those you just print and cut.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FirstCongoWar posted:

Yeah, every floor piece is either 3x3, 6x6, or a hallway, and there are some standard templates that fit them. Pieces like posts and walls aren't mounted on anything so those you just print and cut.

Well that's bad rear end. Wish my laser printer did color. Guess I could just take this poo poo to Kinkos or something :P

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ashcans posted:

I posted about Worldworks in the big thread and none of you jerks had anything to say about it then. I would love to get a bunch of their stuff for skirmish games like Necromunda, but I need to find a place to print it out and work out if the cost is worth it.

I had an opinion godamnit :colbert:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Turns out there's gently caress-all daylight to be had right now so you'll have to live with the pics of our demo table for now.
The Heroes on the left were done by a friend of mine, the Villains on the right by me, and the Table by both of us.

Click here for the full 800x697 image.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

enri posted:

I had an opinion godamnit :colbert:

Pretty sure I posted exactly the same thing I did here too. That thread is (was) just too fast for you Ashcans.

That looks awesome. Can we get some decent close-up pics of your minis?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Furret Basket posted:

Pretty sure I posted exactly the same thing I did here too. That thread is (was) just too fast for you Ashcans.
It's because I'm old and slow and can't keep up with 300 posts while I'm at work. I was skeptical about breaking out all these new threads, but it makes things much more manageable.

For less whiny content, someone should do write-ups for AT-43 and Confrontation. I would do Confrontation, but I haven't played the new edition since everything went plastic, so it would be misleading.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Ashcans posted:

It's because I'm old and slow and can't keep up with 300 posts while I'm at work. I was skeptical about breaking out all these new threads, but it makes things much more manageable.

For less whiny content, someone should do write-ups for AT-43 and Confrontation. I would do Confrontation, but I haven't played the new edition since everything went plastic, so it would be misleading.

Ill write one up for at-43 eventually. Its not a bad game, but its basically baby40k

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

new Dark Age concept art:

They seem to trickle out a few teasers per month over the past 3 months...hopefully they can get their production back in gear :unsmith:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

AT-43, by Rackham (france)

setting: Future war

size: 20-50 models per side (close to 40k sized)

mechanics: alternating unit activations, with a neat mechanic that forces players to organize their units cards in the order they want them to activate during the turn. Otherwise, its basically a simplified wh40k...d based, very simple combat rules.

models: soft plastic pre-painted, 28mm. The sculpts are pretty decent, but because they are pre-paints, the painting is a very mixed bag, ranging from "OK" to "stabbed with a brush 3 times and thrown in a box". The big robots/walkers/etc are very nice sculpts and usually nicer painted than the infantry, which are pretty mediocre.

cost: If paying full retail, the starter box is like 70 bux, and additional units are similar pricing to wh40k. However, every online store, including FFG, seems to sell at43 stuff for absurdly low prices. Ive seen the starter box as low as 12 bux.

pros:
5 factions, all pretty unique. Evil scary robots, human military, gorillas in power armor, space communists, etc.
A lot of the faction rules are free online, so you probably dont have to buy army books.
Prepainted means you dont have to assemble or paint anything if you dont want to.
Rules are pretty simple, so its a good game to introduce newbies to our terrible hobby.

cons:
Unit variety and customization is pretty much non-existant.
Very few modelling opportunities.
Rules are very basic.
Finding players may be difficult.
Firesales on their models lead many to believe that support is dwindling, but Rackham seems to keep releasing stuff on a regular basis, so who knows.

images: (note that rackham pays very good painters to repaint the prepaints, so these images are not neccesarily what the models will be painted like when you purchase them)

Official website

http://www.at-43.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=57&Itemid=253

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What scale is AT-43?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think that it's technically 28mm, but its a 28mm 'realistic', so their people would look weird next to 'heroic' ranges. If you have have seen Confrontation its about the same, similar to Mantic, and on the leaner side of Reaper stuff.

I bought the Red Blok mech that comes with two guys, I can take some pictures side-by-side with some other ranges if you want.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think its fairly close to 40k scale, the human infantry are pretty close to imperial guard sized.

The proportions, like ashcans mentioned, are a little more realistic (thinner)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Furret Basket posted:

That looks awesome. Can we get some decent close-up pics of your minis?
The "decent" part is the one i'm having trouble with, when i get good lightin i'll post some pics.

Regarding AT-43, here are some Warmongers (basic troops) from the Cog army box, i did a few touch-ups and based them and they came out pretty nice.

Click here for the full 1163x582 image.

And i second the 28mm/40K scale, i don't even find them much more realistic, compared to stuff like infinity they're still pretty heroic in my opinion.
Also, Cogs are really loving huge, their basic infantry is somewhere between one and a half and twice as tall as the humans.

Edit: If anyone play Cogs, trace their eye-thing segments with a very fine black pen, it'll look like rubber seals or something and they will appear much cleaner. Takes about 30 second a figure with a bit of practice and as a Cog player you shouldn't have that many models anyway.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 14, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Woohoo, got my replacement dindrenzi bits this morning :) Glad I didn't take the hobby saw to the other one though as they've only sent out replacement bits, not a full new kit... and to be honest, I just think I've been spoilt by GW in the past, sending out whole new kits and all that jazz. Happy as larry, now I can do something with this bad boy that's been bugging me since just before Christmas :haw:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

enri posted:

Woohoo, got my replacement dindrenzi bits this morning :) Glad I didn't take the hobby saw to the other one though as they've only sent out replacement bits, not a full new kit... and to be honest, I just think I've been spoilt by GW in the past, sending out whole new kits and all that jazz. Happy as larry, now I can do something with this bad boy that's been bugging me since just before Christmas :haw:

Nice, I still havent received mine, but I guess fixing it means I dont need it. I could probably make some sort of space wreckage counter out of it, I suppose.

In other news for Malifaux:

Official errata/faq:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/01/14/32790

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I found a flash based army builder for infinity:

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/fusionweb/infinity/index.html

For those of you who play, how are you building lists? I tried playing both a few guys, balanced in cost as well as playing a bunch of mooks providing orders for one or two expensive characters. A few balanced guys is more fun to play while one costly guy with 7 or 8 orders destroys if you can separate your enemies but isn't much fun to play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has anybody had any experience with Arcane Legions? I was pumped for its release, but then I saw the models in person and they were barf. The unit mechanics seem interesting, but I'm way hesitant about their online component.

So my question is, are the low price point and the cool setting drowned out by the poo poo models and the dependency on online stuff?

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
Anyone have any recommendations for a Mordehiem or Necromunda style game? Mainly persistent characters with some growth on skirmish scale is what I'm looking for. Those games seem fun but I can't get over the 80's style rules.

Morham
Jun 4, 2007

Joudas posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a Mordehiem or Necromunda style game? Mainly persistent characters with some growth on skirmish scale is what I'm looking for. Those games seem fun but I can't get over the 80's style rules.

I'd definately be interested in something like these too, I absolutely loved Mordheim and while I own Necromunda (the rule book) I could never quite get my head around it.

My friend and I had a brief encounter with that "Urban War" game, from Urban Mammoth...it seemed pretty cool, though I don't think it included any character growth which was a shame. But if anyone plays this game at all could you do a write up? Like I say it was a brief encounter, only a couple of half finished games and I'd love to know more!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

moths posted:

Has anybody had any experience with Arcane Legions? I was pumped for its release, but then I saw the models in person and they were barf. The unit mechanics seem interesting, but I'm way hesitant about their online component.

So my question is, are the low price point and the cool setting drowned out by the poo poo models and the dependency on online stuff?

Ive seen some dudes giant collection of plastic models for it, and he showed me how you build units by sticking them in the base cards...but thats about the extent of my experience with it.

Im not a CCG/CMG fan, but if I remember correctly there was definitely a goon who played it and posted about it in teh warham thread.

Hopefully he can do a writeup for us

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Joudas posted:

Im with you on this too. From what Ive seen, there are plenty of amazing skirmish games out there, but not many that offer real character development/leveling.

Then again, most systems are written in a way that writing your own in house campaign rules is doable.

If I had to pick a game to do that with, Id probably use Infinity or Malifaux

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I was perusing the Infinity forums and found some of their models painted in alternate styles. Its pretty informative to check them out, because the studio models are painted so ridiculously well...its nice to see the range painted by mere mortals.

That being said, some of these are outstanding

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Joudas posted:

Those games seem fun but I can't get over the 80's style rules.

You may find Mordheim worth a second look. Although it's fundamentally built on the 2e 40k engine, there is a lot of subtle improvements over Necromunda.

Its community put out quality expansions / alternate settings which have achieved varying levels of 'official support'. There are full re-skinned setting expansions for Lustria, Araby, and civil-war era Empire (rural).

I haven't found anything that out-Mordheim's Mordheim. There are still some rules quirks and balance issues, the official models still cost too much, and good luck finding an opponent, but it's free

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
I'll give it a second look, it was like a year ago that I was looking into these games anyway. I do remember it being a lot more interesting than Necromunda, just because the houses in Necro were 90% for flavor only.

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais

PV, Rando and KTS posted:

Stuff

Cheers guys.

Update on the Infinity re-write: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1353017/Infinity%202nED%20Rewrite%20v0.01.pdf Thats the first page, hopefully it will give you all a partial snippet of what the finished book will look like sans funky graphics. It's only properly formatted text, and if you've read the original PDF you'll see the changes to the order straight away.

The rest of the first draft will not be as neat, this is just a proof of concept. The leading, kerning and tracking takes quite a bit of time and effort to get right. The first draft will just be everything hacked up and put back together in what should be an easily digestible order, instead of the mishmash it is now. Should have it ready for tomorrow evening all going well.

For anyone interested in why there's so much white space and the text is off center, it's based on the Van de Graaf canon.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Looks awesome man, Im excited about the end result.

Im trying to figure out what faction I would like to play in Infinity...I painted up some Nomads a long time ago, but the more I look at that range the less I like it.

Yu-Jing seem like the frontrunner, although I like some of the Ariadna as well as some of the Combined Army stuff. Hrm.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Im trying to figure out what faction I would like to play in Infinity...I painted up some Nomads a long time ago, but the more I look at that range the less I like it.

I've been looking at the Infinity stuff as well, mostly for painting because I doubt I will get my friends to play another game. So far I'm back and forth between Ariadna and Haqqislam. I basically like the Kazaks and the Antipode stuff, but its hard to say no to monowheels and spider-tanks.

I guess I can get two faction so that I can talk people into playing with my own stuff! :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Keep it up, Wiltershaw!

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm thinking Haqqislam, though I really like the look of the Highlanders from Adrianna.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Can we add Full Thrust?

http://www.groundzerogames.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=50

A starship combat game that is probably one of the widest played out there. Best thing about it is that its now totally free!

Second best thing about it is that although Ground Zero Games do a great range of fleets to go along with the fluff in the rule book, the starship design rules (which are very comprehensive yet simple- much liek the rules themselves) allow you to use any models you like. Lots of people use the rules to play Star Wars/Star Terk/BSG games.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT browse that webstore. Horrible things wait inside. :cry:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

djfooboo posted:

Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT browse that webstore. Horrible things wait inside. :cry:

Heh. Yeah I know, I quickly spent 50 quid in their the other day. Mind you as it was Xmas they sent me loads of freebies too!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Serotonin posted:

Heh. Yeah I know, I quickly spent 50 quid in their the other day. Mind you as it was Xmas they sent me loads of freebies too!

I am pretty sure he is referring to their 'Gentleman's Collectibles' line, which is poorly sculpted range of naked/pinup models.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Can we add Full Thrust?

http://www.groundzerogames.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=50

A starship combat game that is probably one of the widest played out there. Best thing about it is that its now totally free!

Second best thing about it is that although Ground Zero Games do a great range of fleets to go along with the fluff in the rule book, the starship design rules (which are very comprehensive yet simple- much liek the rules themselves) allow you to use any models you like. Lots of people use the rules to play Star Wars/Star Terk/BSG games.

Can you make a writeup in the style of the OP? I have no experience with that game at all, unfortunately

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure he is referring to their 'Gentleman's Collectibles' line, which is poorly sculpted range of naked/pinup models.

Oh, whoops. Ive never looked at that part of the webstore.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I am interested in some more mini wargaming that comes with pre-painted mini's as I am not very good at painting. The only other issue I have is I generally like to do multiplayer type wargaming on the cheap and something like AT-43 will cost me 100-200 for just one army (when I want some 3-4) not to mention I don't have any terrain and the like. The only game I can think of which I get both for cheap is the way of Heroscape but I am looking for something more advanced.

Any suggestions?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I know you can score AT-43 stuff cheap as heck, look around on ebay, FFG's website, miniaturemarket.com, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I know you can score AT-43 stuff cheap as heck, look around on ebay, FFG's website, miniaturemarket.com, etc

Is it easy enough for people to pick up and learn or is it similar to warhammer where people need the codex's and need to bone up?