Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
CF is also good for things like plate holders where it is going to get a lot of vibration, where a metal part may break due to fatigue.

For those in the UK, carbonmods does some great starter kits for having a go with CF without any real outlay:
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk

For those not in the UK, they still have some good free guides on getting started and replicating parts.
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments/Guides/Carbon-Fibre-Lamination.aspx?sortorder=1&page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you have to take special precautions when cutting CF?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Cutting the fabric during layup, not really.

Cutting the laminate and edge finishing, yes, absolutely. The dust is super bad for your lungs like most composites.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isn't it impractical and inaccurate to do those layups by hand? Z3n, you really should consider adding this practical composite layup tool to your garage:

http://www.nasa.gov/larc/nasa-installs-giant-composite-material-research-robot/

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I think he is waiting for a layup machine from KTM's Indian partner, Bajaj.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Someday I'll get my life sorted out and get back to projects, but that day is not today.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I completed a project!

It wasn't a bike project!

KTM still rad. Rear wheel still ok.

Lost a sprocket bolt somewhere along the way, KTM pulled one off a trainer bike to send me. Good guys, KTM.

Brakes pulsing slightly, want to replace low quality Brembo OEM disks with higher quality aftermarket stuff.

Waiting on end of year bonus and poo poo to finish 999 trackbike, get the KTM parts powdercoated and stuff.

Still haven't remade CF license plate bracket.

Ordered custom plate.

Busy, busy, busy, hopefully soon I can spend more time on bikes and at the track and less time working.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
A rolling office chair with only 4 legs, now I've seen everything.

Do those car seats really work at regular chair height? I'd imagine they might cut off circulation on account of your knees being higher in a car.

(Nice rack)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

A rolling office chair with only 4 legs, now I've seen everything.

Do those car seats really work at regular chair height? I'd imagine they might cut off circulation on account of your knees being higher in a car.

(Nice rack)

It actually has 5 legs, just a very odd angle makes it look like 4.

It's fine although it's a little bit taller than your typical office chair - I'm waiting for some steel plate to show up and I will mount the chair directly to the base, rather than base -> aluminum brace -> seat rails -> chair. Once I've got the plate it'll just be base -> plate -> chair, and losing the rails will get the chair about 1.5 inches lower.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Love this thread. That Superduke is sexy as hell. What do you play with the Fanatec Clubsport Elites?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Glad you've enjoyed it! I've been playing a bit of assetto corsa but mainly I'm waiting for cash to come around to upgrade my computer for playing with the oculus rift. Also working on building a custom desk for mounting nerd peripherals/work.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Z3n posted:

Glad you've enjoyed it! I've been playing a bit of assetto corsa but mainly I'm waiting for cash to come around to upgrade my computer for playing with the oculus rift. Also working on building a custom desk for mounting nerd peripherals/work.

AC is great. You do any iRacing at all?

Also http://www.gp-bikes.com/ which is a bit odd with a wheel but still great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmSTyIQZ7M

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GP bikes looks like it could be fun - I tend to have difficulty with the control translation and lack of ways to express traction front and rear but I'll definitely check it out when i have some free time!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

advion posted:

AC is great. You do any iRacing at all?

Also http://www.gp-bikes.com/ which is a bit odd with a wheel but still great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmSTyIQZ7M

Oh. my. god. How do you play this game and not MootMoot every 3 seconds? I have trouble even riding out of the pit, much less making the first turn without going wide.

I've sort of got my xbox 360 controller set up, and it doesn't feel intuitive at all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just a quick bump to keep this out of archives. If I feel up to it, I might do the KTM valves tomorrow, might do it next weekend. One exhaust valve is one size too tight.

Helped a buddy do his FZ1 valves today, did some work on the housemate's SV650, getting some odds and ends sorted out - maybe some fiberglass stuff tomorrow. Did the 999 clutch, which led to this pretty hilarious picture:

THANKS FOR FRYING THE CLUTCH ZOOL

Quickshifter for the 999 shows up on Monday.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jesus zool, maybe smooth out your right wrist instead of relying on your left fingers?!!!!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dry clutch life?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Jesus zool, maybe smooth out your right wrist instead of relying on your left fingers?!!!!

Gotta do some sweet clutch ups for the ladies. Also, I think this might explain why he was getting terrible gas mileage.

BlackMK4 posted:

Dry clutch life?

Not much life in it, as far as I can see.

I also splurged and picked up one of these for the 999:
http://annitoriqs.com/product_detail_1.php

Pretty excited, cause the 999 has no cat in it and should make hilarious, massive explosions with each use of the quickshifter.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Just a quick bump to keep this out of archives. If I feel up to it, I might do the KTM valves tomorrow, might do it next weekend. One exhaust valve is one size too tight.

Helped a buddy do his FZ1 valves today, did some work on the housemate's SV650, getting some odds and ends sorted out - maybe some fiberglass stuff tomorrow. Did the 999 clutch, which led to this pretty hilarious picture:

THANKS FOR FRYING THE CLUTCH ZOOL

Quickshifter for the 999 shows up on Monday.

Huh, only one friction pla-aaaargh :stonk:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's a really dumb thing and I don't need an exhaust on the 1290 but goddamnit I wanna buy this thing. Tell me it looks dumb and I should spend the money on suspension instead.

Also this thing is loving awesome:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 19, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isn't the stock suspension pretty trick?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah I think you're a long way into the effects of diminishing returns upgrading the stock suspension.

Just do some fun visual mods like those mental orange-white bicolour wheels on the prototype.

For funtime loudypops exhausts I'd look no further than SC-Project in Italy : http://www.sc-project.com/ktm_1290_super_duke_e.htm

Not super expensive and the build quality and finish is fantastic, and doesn't seem cheap against the other nice components on a --90 series KTM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcv_6cmahY4

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Isn't the stock suspension pretty trick?

It is, but I've got 10k miles on it and I can feel the rear shock is starting to get a bit tired from all the riding like a jerk. Dunno how much a refresh will be, but probably $200-400. I'll do the fork fluid myself when I do my big service on it.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah I think you're a long way into the effects of diminishing returns upgrading the stock suspension.

Just do some fun visual mods like those mental orange-white bicolour wheels on the prototype.

For funtime loudypops exhausts I'd look no further than SC-Project in Italy : http://www.sc-project.com/ktm_1290_super_duke_e.htm

Not super expensive and the build quality and finish is fantastic, and doesn't seem cheap against the other nice components on a --90 series KTM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcv_6cmahY4

I'm considering doing the rims, and I also want to replace the orange on the bike with blue (minus the frame). The problem is that doing the rims will probably take the bike offline for at least a week or 2, and damnit, I like riding the thing.

I also considered the SC project exhaust, the thing that kills me is any local supplier wants loving $650 for it, whereas with the current weak value of the Euro, at 390 - 20% VAT with the strong rate of the dollar it'd only be like 380 bucks. I can get the Mivv for like, 430 bucks or so, which is just out of the realm of impulse purchase for me right now.

It's honestly just a vanity thing at this point. If I got the Mivv Suono I'd cut it down another 3-5 inches or so, because post-cat the exhaust is a cosmetic piece.

There's also the Arrow pipe, which is similar to the SC project pipe in price and such:

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
Loud bikes are stupid. All cosmetic mods are masturbation.

Suspension refresh, though... that's the true path to self-improvement.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

tarzanspuma posted:

Loud bikes are stupid. All cosmetic mods are masturbation.

Suspension refresh, though... that's the true path to self-improvement.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Z3n posted:

Also this thing is loving awesome:

Robert Johnson would ride this.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
For my dad's 690 Duke we're just going to try what it sounds like with no silencer, apparently at least on that bike the cat plays such a big role that swapping the silencer doesn't do much for sound, let alone power.

Also, any niggles show up in your 10k miles? He's been complaining about a badly designed tank lid that causes water to pool up and flow into the tank when you open it, and high oil consumption.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

For my dad's 690 Duke we're just going to try what it sounds like with no silencer, apparently at least on that bike the cat plays such a big role that swapping the silencer doesn't do much for sound, let alone power.

Also, any niggles show up in your 10k miles? He's been complaining about a badly designed tank lid that causes water to pool up and flow into the tank when you open it, and high oil consumption.

I've run mine without the silencer, and yeah, it's not really all that loud. That's why I'd be ok with chopping the poo poo out of the Mivv exhaust - with the amount of restriction in the cat, the exhaust is nearly 100% cosmetic.

No problems besides the usual issues with the rear wheel play, which hasn't increased in the 10k miles I've put on the bike. Occasional stalling issue, which I'm going to talk to my dealership about - apparently some of the wiring harness bits were made incorrectly at one point.

High oil consumption is weird - 690s shouldn't burn a significant amount of oil, unless something is up with the bike. Did it get super babied and never run aggressively? Mine doesn't burn a bit of oil, and I broke it in way more aggressively than recommended.

Oh, one minor issue - the rotors started pulsing after around 6k, at about 8k I put on the power parts rotors and got a fresh set of pads comped by KTM, as well as labor for the install. I'm wondering if backing the bike down the driveway causes some weirdness with the pad deposits. Brakes have been great since then, we'll see if they start pulsing at ~14k or so.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah the bike has low miles and from what he told me, the oil consumption is supposed to go away once it gets bedded in more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh, yeah, ok, if it's low mileage and hasn't been used heavily yet, it will definitely tend to burning a bit of oil - get it nice and warmed up and thrash the bejeesus out of it!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
KTM chat!! Can I play?

2014 690 Adventure, bought new and burns ~ 1.3L oil / 1000km with 2450km on the odometer. Oil consumption only becomes an "issue" if it's over 1L/1000km under 8000km on odo.
2014 1190 Adventure - airbox issues. Have had to rebuild 3 top ends because they failed leakdown tests after 5 - 9k km. The airbox did not support the filter properly and let poo poo past. Like bees.
2014/5 1190 Adventure - 2 fuel pressure regulators and 3 fuel pumps on under 3k km bikes.
RC8 shift fork shaft spring was stuck to the drain plug magnet on first oil change
2009 250 xcfw, overheating issue when brand new - coolant passage not machined in case.
2012 530 exc exhaust rocker and shaft worn to oblivion for no obvious reason. 3200km on engine.

This one is more customer stupidity - 350 xcf -Customer attempted his own oil change, but instead of removing the oil filter cover, pulled off the oil pump cover and had the inner rotor and pin that locks the rotor to the shaft fall out. He put the rotor in, sans pin, filled up with oil and ran his bike until he "had to use throttle to keep it idling". After that it didn't start up. :downsbravo:

I'll give KTMs one thing though - their valves don't require much adjustment

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KTM are the Hyundai of motorbikes. Interesting and illuminating!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My '08 690 is only now starting to consume more oil at nearly 30k / 6.5 years of commuting daily.
I had a cam chain tensioner collapse in the first year, it seems this is common if you only use it for short journeys all the time (~5mi), now have a manual tensioner from Rally Raid.
Replaced a leaky injector, but that's a generic Keihin part, not a KTM issue.
Replaced a valve rocker because it started to get scoring on the roller, seems this was a QC issue for the 1st gen and the replacement has been fine.
Stator burned at about 20k, probably the most serious and expensive issue but an easy job at least.
Took the opportunity to replace the clutch pack at the same time but it probably would have gone 5k more.
Blown three fork seals now but the bike lives outside and I ride all weather all year so eh.

While I've rotated the valve shims a couple of times to even up the gap, the first time it has ever been out of spec was last month at 30k, which is frankly astounding. The wiring loom is now basically a series of thin PVC tubes for containing green dust, and since last week my clock/speedo has lost power, so fuel, neutral, revs and speed are guesswork. But it's not a KTM thing, I lived on my boat for 4 years and parked at the marina.

Z3n posted:

I also considered the SC project exhaust, the thing that kills me is any local supplier wants loving $650 for it, whereas with the current weak value of the Euro, at 390 - 20% VAT with the strong rate of the dollar it'd only be like 380 bucks. I can get the Mivv for like, 430 bucks or so, which is just out of the realm of impulse purchase for me right now.

I'm happy to look into shipping you one from 'yurop if you wanna go that route, might be able to knock Italian VAT off it too as I'm outside the EU. Just be warned when I got my SC it took like two months and I had no communication, seems like all Italian companies are like this though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

KTM chat!! Can I play?

2014 690 Adventure, bought new and burns ~ 1.3L oil / 1000km with 2450km on the odometer. Oil consumption only becomes an "issue" if it's over 1L/1000km under 8000km on odo.
2014 1190 Adventure - airbox issues. Have had to rebuild 3 top ends because they failed leakdown tests after 5 - 9k km. The airbox did not support the filter properly and let poo poo past. Like bees.
2014/5 1190 Adventure - 2 fuel pressure regulators and 3 fuel pumps on under 3k km bikes.
RC8 shift fork shaft spring was stuck to the drain plug magnet on first oil change
2009 250 xcfw, overheating issue when brand new - coolant passage not machined in case.
2012 530 exc exhaust rocker and shaft worn to oblivion for no obvious reason. 3200km on engine.

This one is more customer stupidity - 350 xcf -Customer attempted his own oil change, but instead of removing the oil filter cover, pulled off the oil pump cover and had the inner rotor and pin that locks the rotor to the shaft fall out. He put the rotor in, sans pin, filled up with oil and ran his bike until he "had to use throttle to keep it idling". After that it didn't start up. :downsbravo:

I'll give KTMs one thing though - their valves don't require much adjustment

That coolant passage one is pretty impressive as is the shift fork spring one.

I need to remember to ask Scuderia if my bike is in the recall for the wiring harness bits.

I've definitely heard of the issues with the 1190 airboxes.

Fingers crossed, I'm in the safe zone now, although my valves are out of adjustment, which is probably due to the fact that I thrash that bike, and broke it in on the track. We'll see how things go with it.

Also, how do you typically do compression tests with the 1190 engined KTMs? Any concerns of computer weirdness if I just disconnect the coils and hit the starter?

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm happy to look into shipping you one from 'yurop if you wanna go that route, might be able to knock Italian VAT off it too as I'm outside the EU. Just be warned when I got my SC it took like two months and I had no communication, seems like all Italian companies are like this though.

I might take you up on this - honestly, I'll probably buy the Mivv one eventually, as it's blacked out, and I can chop it down even shorter if I want, because a post-cat can is basically a cosmetic item.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

I might take you up on this - honestly, I'll probably buy the Mivv one eventually, as it's blacked out, and I can chop it down even shorter if I want, because a post-cat can is basically a cosmetic item.

NP, just drop me a gmail - username limeyrock.

If I do it through my company I might be able to get a trade price, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So, been sorta lazy, but managed to redo the seat on the KTM this weekend. Just added some significantly stiffer foam and some Supracor to it, we'll see how it holds up to extended use.

Also managed to score some cosmetically damaged parts for super cheap - A tank, triples, radiator, fender, and the tank bits. So now I've got 2 tanks - one orange, one black. Might try and throw the orange one on to see how it looks with the rest of the stuff black, just for giggles. KTM is giving me a new shock because there was some wear on the original one from a poorly QC'd mudguard, which is pretty cool.

Ducati sits, although soon it should come back to life.

Taxman has ruined me so many projects are on hold until I get that sorted out.

Still need to do the KTM valves.

Still need to finish getting the housemate's SV up to tip top.

Here's the list of poo poo I need to do before the June 1st trackday, maybe it'll all get done:

Ducati
Install handlebars
Make fairing mount
Install quickshifter
Clean starter
Swap fuel filter
Refresh front forks
Reinstall rear shock
Lube suspension linkages/steering head bearings
Finish front caliper rebuild
Tires

KTM