Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Bunway Airlines posted:

Likely story :colbert:

The thing that's really sad is that we make very good money for a couple our age, but since we live in Santa Barbara, it seems to go down the tube more quickly than it would in say, Iowa. I went to Planned Parenthood recently because my health insurance had not kicked in yet. When I told the lady how much our combined monthly income was before taxes, she looked at me like I was insane and asked why I didn't have health insurance. I love Planned Parenthood so much but why is everyone there bitchy all the time? :(

But who wants to live in Iowa. Does it have any redeeming qualities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I was looking through pictures of old trackdays and saw this bad boy.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

laymil posted:

Hey! We have lots of flat, boring, straight roads, horrid weather 9 months out of the year, no tracks in the center of the of the state. So basically, it's awesome terrible

:smithicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I thought about riding to work instead of riding a bus today. But then I thought the likely hood of crashing to death, freezing to death or crashing first then freezing to death was too high. Then I thought about riding a Gulf livery bike in the sunshine and the hatred warmed my heart while I was waiting for the loving bus.

I'm glad I could keep you warm somehow. :3: Gulf Oil keeps the world warm. :shobon:

laymil posted:

Paging needknees, who wants to live in that shithole?

I see he's enjoying it immensely.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I was looking through pictures of old trackdays and saw this bad boy.

That's pretty awesome too.

PlasticSun dropped by yesterday, was great to meet up with him and hang out and chat bikes, travel, and other stuffs. Enjoyed some good Tequila, mexican smokes, and a good night all around. :)

Last night I roughly baselined the suspension settings for the racebike, and went to the Kawasaki dealership and ordered a replacement clutch cover gasket and clutch springs. They should be here tomorrow.

I'll start breaking down the DRZ shortly. Sorry to all the folks who are waiting for prices and shipping quotes on parts, I'll get there eventually I promise!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Has anyone not gotten stickers that requested them? It's come to my attention that USPS has been...less than gentle with some of the packages.

If anyone else would like some, I've got plenty more so just let me know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd love one for my panniers. If you figure out the postage to Norway I could paypal it to you, it's probably quite a bit more than nationally. I'll PM you my address. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I'd love one for my panniers. If you figure out the postage to Norway I could paypal it to you, it's probably quite a bit more than nationally. I'll PM you my address. :)

It's 88 cents. :negative: Not a big deal, I've already shipped a few others internationally :)

Also at the risk of becoming an uberhipster, I finally caved and picked up a Chrome messenger bag. Christmastime means I get to buy presents for myself!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 17, 2010

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Hipster

I'm trying to imagine how a single-speed fixed gear motorcycle with narrow bars would even work...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm trying to imagine how a single-speed fixed gear motorcycle with narrow bars would even work...

I vote for an electric bike with a single handlebar that faces forward. It'd tick all the boxes.

But seriously, this thing is awesome:

I'll post up a gear report when I get it.

Oh, and I couldn't imagine bicycling daily on a singlespeed. I may bicycle to work everyday but I do it on a road bike with 24 gears like a real human being.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Oh, and I couldn't imagine bicycling daily on a singlespeed.

Maybe if you were cycling from your Williamsburg studio apartment to your art gallery and then to the vegan café - all within three blocks.

I've googled some bike rentals, looks like I could get a Versys (say) for around $140/day insured. One thing I've picked up about America is to always travel heavily insured.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ola posted:

One thing I've picked up about America is to always travel heavily insuredArmed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Maybe if you were cycling from your Williamsburg studio apartment to your art gallery and then to the vegan café - all within three blocks.

I've googled some bike rentals, looks like I could get a Versys (say) for around $140/day insured. One thing I've picked up about America is to always travel heavily insured.

If I had enough advance warning, I could find a bike for you and then just flip it when you were done with it. Renting a bike is gonna be hideously expensive, looks like.

And spiffness, I don't see a difference between those 2. Viva America!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

We talked a bit about this before, if you had something you liked and could flip anyway and it got titled and insured on my name while I was there it would be perfect. I would ride anything from a KLR DRZ to a Busa.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

Just fit narrow bars.

http://www.bikeexif.com/megola-motorcycle

quote:

With no clutch the handbook recomended that in the event the rider encountered an obstacle they circled until the way was clear again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

We talked a bit about this before, if you had something you liked and could flip anyway and it got titled and insured on my name while I was there it would be perfect. I would ride anything from a KLR DRZ to a Busa.

Yeah we could easily work something out. If you discover that a trip is the carbs cards for you, then let me know and I'll keep an eye out for a bike so you can tour America in flat black and glory.

In the meantime, my attempt to simplify the garage to go racing has turned out gloriously!

I love having a garage full of bikes. :3:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
How many bikes do you have? (I count 5) And what types? I didn't know you had an Aprillia something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

How many bikes do you have? (I count 5) And what types? I didn't know you had an Aprillia something.

The only bike I technically own is the GSX-R. The first DRZ is the wife's with a blown HG, the second DRZ is TarzanPuma's, on loan so I can chase my little brother around on the 250, the Aprilia is a Dorsoduro 750 that I'm dropping off at the dealership for a friend that's out of town, and the 250 is my for my Mom and little brother.

So just one :(

Edit: Oh yeah, the Cannondale R700 on the wall over there. That's mine too.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 17, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

The only bike I technically own is the GSX-R. The first DRZ is the wife's with a blown HG, the second DRZ is TarzanPuma's, on loan so I can chase my little brother around on the 250, the Aprilia is a Dorsoduro 750 that I'm dropping off at the dealership for a friend that's out of town, and the 250 is my for my Mom and little brother.

So just one :(

'Sup Gixxer buddy. Wanna rebuild my engine? :v:

Are you going to get a street legal bike, then? Also I can't help but stare at the gulf colors. Just awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

'Sup Gixxer buddy. Wanna rebuild my engine? :v:

Are you going to get a street legal bike, then? Also I can't help but stare at the gulf colors. Just awesome.

I've never actually properly rebuilt an engine. I've put them back together, but never one that needed a proper rebuild.

The plan is to pick up a small displacement 2 stroke dual sport from the 70s and cruise around on that. I'll rebuild that because it's probably gonna need it. But 2 strokes are cheap and simple.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

quote:

With no clutch the handbook recomended that in the event the rider encountered an obstacle they circled until the way was clear again.

Just like a fixie rider at a stoplight.

My commute bike is a single speed (not fixed). I ride it at least 8 miles daily. I've done at least 50 miles in a day on it. It's no big deal as long as you don't have to go uphill at any point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

Just like a fixie rider at a stoplight.

My commute bike is a single speed (not fixed). I ride it at least 8 miles daily. I've done at least 50 miles in a day on it. It's no big deal as long as you don't have to go uphill at any point.

I'd be fine going to work, it's the coming back that'd kill me. And I like having gears, my knees are pretty weak and having gears means I can just pedal at high RPM without the stress of pushing hard on the pedals all the time. I do like the simplicity of singlespeeds though, just can't ride one for physical reasons.

Oh god, it's starting isn't it...:ohdear:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 18, 2010

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'd be fine going to work, it's the coming back that'd kill me. And I like having gears, my knees are pretty weak and having gears means I can just pedal at high RPM without the stress of pushing hard on the pedals all the time. I do like the simplicity of singlespeeds though, just can't ride one for physical reasons.

Oh god, it's starting isn't it...:ohdear:

My buddy wanted to make an electric-assist bicycle that would work as a single speed and assist you going uphill and retard you (regenerating the batteries) downhill so you'd be at roughly the same cadence/speed the whole ride.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Z3n posted:

Has anyone not gotten stickers that requested them? It's come to my attention that USPS has been...less than gentle with some of the packages.

Chiming in from the frozen north of Canada- I got mine about a week ago or so. Really great timing considering the holiday mail blitz currently ongoing. Unfortunately my nike's in the shop so it's gonna be awhile before I can start plastering.

Great stickers though Z3N; thanks so much!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

My buddy wanted to make an electric-assist bicycle that would work as a single speed and assist you going uphill and retard you (regenerating the batteries) downhill so you'd be at roughly the same cadence/speed the whole ride.

This is such a beautifully convoluted way of solving a problem that's already solved. I love it.

Ghostpilots posted:

Chiming in from the frozen north of Canada- I got mine about a week ago or so. Really great timing considering the holiday mail blitz currently ongoing. Unfortunately my nike's in the shop so it's gonna be awhile before I can start plastering.

Great stickers though Z3N; thanks so much!

No problem, glad you got them safely!

I haven't really done poo poo all recently, things have been a little crazy around here. But despite the last 4 days of pouring rain, I did get my little brother out on the bike and he did just fine learning to ride his 250 in the rain. He'd already taken the MSF so at least he had the basics before hours of riding in the rain.

I finally started parting out the DRZ as well.

I've pretty much got my schedule in line for trackdays and race weekends coming up, and I think it's about time to start a thread about prepping for the first AFM race coming up in a few months. :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
It might not be a motorcycle but it's one of the few types of racing going on right now in this frozen hellhole!

Thanks for the stickers :). When If it warms up above 0F I'll get them on the bikes.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Z3n posted:

But seriously, this thing is awesome:

I'll post up a gear report when I get it.

You'll love it. I've been riding for a year with mine in British Columbia rain and nothing ever gets wet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

It might not be a motorcycle but it's one of the few types of racing going on right now in this frozen hellhole!

Thanks for the stickers :). When If it warms up above 0F I'll get them on the bikes.

Funny that you should bump this now...Might have an update for this thread tonight :)

shipwrek posted:

You'll love it. I've been riding for a year with mine in British Columbia rain and nothing ever gets wet.

Thus far it's held up pretty well. It's really comfortable on the bicycle, not so much on the motorcycle, but I don't have a streetbike at the moment so who cares! :w00t: It also kept all my stuff dry in the few days it was raining here.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Z3n posted:

Thus far it's held up pretty well. It's really comfortable on the bicycle, not so much on the motorcycle, but I don't have a streetbike at the moment so who cares! :w00t: It also kept all my stuff dry in the few days it was raining here.

Can't tell from that pic but it is the cross chest single strap or the backpack two strap? Mine is the Cross chest single and has a smaller second strap to keep it in place and I've found it far superior to traditional two shoulder straps. Doesn't bind up in the pits and has a belt buckle for easy removal which is totally
:smug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shipwrek posted:

Can't tell from that pic but it is the cross chest single strap or the backpack two strap? Mine is the Cross chest single and has a smaller second strap to keep it in place and I've found it far superior to traditional two shoulder straps. Doesn't bind up in the pits and has a belt buckle for easy removal which is totally
:smug:

It's the single cross chest strap. It is really awesome on the bicycle, I just think that the other one they make with 2 straps would be better for motorcycle stuff. But the majority of the time these days I'm on the bicycle, I've got saddlebags, and I basically never take long motorcycle trips anymore. The seatbelt buckle is awesome too.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Oh, and I couldn't imagine bicycling daily on a singlespeed. I may bicycle to work everyday but I do it on a road bike with 24 gears like a real human being.

I used to ride to work in Delaware on my SS, but then it was only 5 miles. My current cycle is ~25 miles, so I use a road double and a 9 speed 105. Nothing wrong with single speeds over distance if you aren't in a huge rush. Chain's unlikely to derail itself at speed as well. e: I have one of those bags in blue, but doing a longer commute now, I just put racks and soft bags on my touring frame. Department of not making life hard for myself.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm always in a huge rush. I could use to stop and smell the roses every so often, I do sort of want to build a SS but in the meantime...

I guess this will have to do.

I can hear silver salivating from here.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

I'm always in a huge rush. I could use to stop and smell the roses every so often, I do sort of want to build a SS but in the meantime...

I guess this will have to do.

I can hear silver salivating from here.

What'd ya go and buy that for? Electric conversion? :haw:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Yay another F2, hows the Regulator/rectifier?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

What'd ya go and buy that for? Electric conversion? :haw:

Buy/Flip/repeat to fund second GSX-R or new sumo.

infraboy posted:

Yay another F2, hows the Regulator/rectifier?

Dunno. Guy was the original owner, he parked it for a year and a half with no prep when his commute got longer. It's fallen over once but is bone stock (including turn signals/tail).

I figure I'll take care of:

Oil
Plugs
Fuel
Brake Fluid
Carb clean

and it should be pretty much good to go. Then I can list it on CL for around 1800$ and hopefully sell it for somewhere in that range.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Judging by the passenger peg brackets and forks it looks like you got yourself a '94, which is the most baller of F2s. :whatup:

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 4, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Judging by the passenger peg brackets and forks it looks like you got yourself a '94, which is the most baller of F2s. :whatup:

It's a 96, the last year of F2. I'll probably start work on it tomorrow, don't think I'll have time to do it tonight.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Z3n posted:

Then I can list it on CL for around 1800$ and hopefully sell it for somewhere in that range.

How much did you buy it for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Clank posted:

How much did you buy it for?

Eh I wasn't going to say because I'll just be flipping it but 500$.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Eh I wasn't going to say because I'll just be flipping it but 500$.

What in the blue gently caress. I feel like I should do a ride-along some time and learn all the secrets to finding these deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

sirbeefalot posted:

What in the blue gently caress. I feel like I should do a ride-along some time and learn all the secrets to finding these deals.

Sorry they're copyrighted :colbert:

I do often complain to Conan about how some guys are assholes to me when we're at the track. Now, this has never, ever been a problem with goons; I have yet to meet a goon who wasn't nice and I didn't like. However, if you're extra nice to me I might give away some secrets :smug:

• Locked thread