Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

Well, it's her bike, and she's pretty much the most responsible rider ever, so...I'm not too concerned. I will be concerned when I starting building mine though. :sigh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Raven457 posted:

Touche good sir. I am the aforementioned owner of sick new bike. I really like it so far. There was nothing wrong with my Z1000 and I liked that bike as well but it was a bit awkward in certain situations. What's great is that I use my bike for work now...except I work with kids on the spectrum so I carry toys and books around in my truck space. So far, none of the kids have noticed that I ride a motorcycle which is actually very good. I don't want to the be one that gets them into it, parents end up hating you. However most kids on the spectrum never get driver's licenses so maybe I worry too much.

So basically I'm this weird chick on a sumo with toys in the back. The new way to pick up kids? Possibly...

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Bunway Airlines posted:

So basically I'm this weird chick on a sumo with toys in the back.

If only there were more like ya, the world would be a better place. Enjoy the new wheels and stay safe! =)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Raven457 posted:

If only there were more like ya, the world would be a better place. Enjoy the new wheels and stay safe! =)

Thanks!

I actually need to figure out a better gear situation. Right now, I wear full gear except for pants because I have to look presentable for families. I'd like to find something I can wear under jeans; Z3n said the Bond body armor would be too noticeable. I'm out of money right now so I guess it can wait for a bit.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

:allears:

Well, it's her bike, and she was pretty much the most responsible rider ever, so...I'm not too concerned. I will be concerned when I starting building mine though. :sigh:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sorry Zen, but supermoto ownership is a perfect example of power corruption.

Giving someone a supermoto is like giving them a big red button labelled PRESS HERE FOR AWESOME and telling them not to press it. Except in this case its a lever marked FLICK THIS FOR AWESOME WHEELIE and another marked PULL THIS FOR WICKED STOPPIE.

I always thought I was such a responsible rider, chiding all the noisy wheelie-merchants, I was more responsible than that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

Giving someone a supermoto is like giving them a big red button labelled PRESS HERE FOR AWESOME and telling them not to press it. Except in this case its a lever marked FLICK THIS FOR AWESOME WHEELIE and another marked PULL THIS FOR WICKED STOPPIE.

I always thought I was such a responsible rider, chiding all the noisy wheelie-merchants, I was more responsible than that.

Very true. I was a good rider, I went with traffic and obeyed all traffic laws. Then I got the DRZ...I new lane split, wheelie, stoppie, cut through laws/parking lots/campuses/streams. Yet get back on the SV and I go back to a responsible rider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Oh, believe me, I know. I took the DRZ up into the hills a couple days back, and it was great because I could ride like a complete rear end in a top hat, wheelies on corner exit and stoppies on corner entrance and there was absolutely no one around to see it. It's like my own little play area.

She told me a few days ago she wants to learn to wheelie, and I feel half :ohdear: and half :neckbeard:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Oh, believe me, I know. I took the DRZ up into the hills a couple days back, and it was great because I could ride like a complete rear end in a top hat, wheelies on corner exit and stoppies on corner entrance and there was absolutely no one around to see it. It's like my own little play area.

She told me a few days ago she wants to learn to wheelie, and I feel half :ohdear: and half :neckbeard:
If that's not half 'she's the awesomest girlfriend, ever' and half ':fyeah: Wheelie Partner!", she should dump your lame rear end. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
So I've spent the last year thinking up awesome things to do and...promptly not doing them. Racing consumed a lot of my time and energy, and basically all of my money, so now that I've decided to break from racing until my economic situation improves, I've got some time and money to devote to other projects. With that in mind, I've decided to try something new each month. I'll budget around 200$ for each monthly project, and see if any of it bears fruit. If it doesn't, wasting 200$ to fill my weekends is pretty cheap, and if it does, I've made some neat stuff or learned a new skill. Win/win.

I've always wanted to try my hand at carbon fibercrabon fibre parts, so I took the plunge and ordered 140$ worth of stuff from a UK carbon fiber place called Carbon Mods. I picked up their Crabon Fibre Laminating Starter Kit and their Mould Making Kit. I know that I could have gotten the individual parts cheaper, but they provided a lot of free information in a professional, easy to understand format, and I figure that for a first time project, I may as well go with the kit that will hold my hand through the entire thing. And I like supporting businesses that make the effort to give to the community.

Here's their Mould making video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKrl1PPvliQ
and their CF part video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c

I debated what part to do first, initially wanting to do the side cover that covers the airbox, but that piece is complicated, with a piece of inner molding that fits into the airbox and makes up one side of it. So instead, I've decided to do the middle tail section. It's not structural, there's nothing special about it, it's just a simple piece of plastic. Should be perfect for a first time project. I ordered the kits yesterday, they should be here sometime next week-ish.

Other things I checked out out of curiosity about eventually building some structural stuff (CF Subframe! :woop:) were Damon Rinard's CF Bicycle and The Jarvis Illustrated Guide to Carbon Fiber Construction, which is a guy who made an awesome CF rocket. These don't apply directly to what I want to do, but there are definitely some little tips and tricks I picked up from each one to make my life easier. Plus, it's always cool to watch someone make something.

Also, I found an 01 DRZ400S that I'll hopefully be picking up tomorrow morning, if no one else swipes it out from under me. Engine's been taken to E spec, it's got an exhaust, a plate, upgraded suspension, and some other odds and ends. ~6k miles, oil changed every 2 rides, filter every 3, guy is getting out of dual sporting and into track riding with his kids and the bike just sits. For 2000$ with everything current, it seems like a good deal, the guy seems honest and straightforward, he told me about some stuff that he didn't have to tell me about over the phone.

So yeah, my grand plan of cleaning out the garage before acquiring more bikes? Huge failure. Back up to 5 already.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 26, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Haha you god drat lunatic

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Haha you god drat lunatic

Just wait until I have my entirely CF motorcycle, built out of dreams and :smug:

And then it shatters into a thousand pieces and kings me with a crown of shattered CF and burning hot exhaust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Your first CF project should be to make some CF airbox covers for the first-gen Bandit 1200. Then throw them away. Into a shipping box labeled with my address.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Honestly, it'll probably look better if you just spray painted them with that CF spraypaint than me doing my first CF piece. I have a feeling I'm going to end up being hilariously bad at this. But that's ok, that's where the fun is. :haw:

If I am decent at it, though, I'm open to doing requests.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Honestly, it'll probably look better if you just spray painted them with that CF spraypaint than me doing my first CF piece. I have a feeling I'm going to end up being hilariously bad at this. But that's ok, that's where the fun is. :haw:

If I am decent at it, though, I'm open to doing requests.

I know, I was kidding. CF airbox covers for the Bandit are like $300, and I refuse to pay that for a 5 inch wide blob of CF.

Theres an idea though. If you get good, you can sell CF airbox covers to Bandit guys for something less than $300, and probably make a killing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, a very small part of me is quietly optimistic about the idea of kicking out a bunch of random parts for specialty/niche markets like that. I'm desperately trying to avoid putting the cart before the horse though, as that's what tends to kill me. But if this goes well, we could definitely try something, obviously for a "pre-production" part, I wouldn't want anything more than the cost of materials, and if you didn't like it, no big deal, you don't have to pay for it. A learning experience is priority one for now. :)

Who makes those B12 CF covers?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 26, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Who makes those B12 CF covers?

http://www.whaccessories.com/Suzuki%20Bandit.htm Halfway down under Radiator/Engine covers. I was wrong, its $200, not $300, still too much IMO.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Suzuki%20Bandit.htm Halfway down under Radiator/Engine covers. I was wrong, its $200, not $300, still too much IMO.

Interesting. It shouldn't be that much in raw material cost...we'll see how my first part turns out and go from there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Convinced my flatmate that we should get one of their carbon skinning kits and cover our toilet seat...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phat_Albert posted:

this... is stupidly simple stuff to do. Like.. $4-5hrs of time to make them the first time, and half an hour for each one afterwords.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Nerobro posted:

this... is stupidly simple stuff to do. Like.. $4-5hrs of time to make them the first time, and half an hour for each one afterwords.

I'm debating making these and selling them for $100 if it's that lucrative.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Well, don't forget that it's 100$ for the pair, plus you've got the cost of the CF, and your mold and shipping. And that you've got both application time and cure time with each one. And I have my doubts about being able to do it in 30 minutes, considering everything. 30 minutes of total work to lay the piece? Sure, but don't forget that you also need to sand it, polish it, and that the 30 minutes of work is going to be spread out over a couple of hours of wait time for the stuff to resin properly set up and get tacky.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

Well, don't forget that it's 100$ for the pair, plus you've got the cost of the CF, and your mold and shipping. And that you've got both application time and cure time with each one. And I have my doubts about being able to do it in 30 minutes, considering everything. 30 minutes of total work to lay the piece? Sure, but don't forget that you also need to sand it, polish it, and that the 30 minutes of work is going to be spread out over a couple of hours of wait time for the stuff to resin properly set up and get tacky.

Thats $100 a pair. Lets say it takes you six hours to make a mold of the stock chrome covers. (which already have a perfect surface finish to print a mold from) That's a "one time cost."

The beauty of a mold like that, is the only work necessary to produce good parts from setup like that is to put the carbon, resin, and vacuum bag it. The smooth pretty surface comes from the mold itself, so there's no sanding, polishing, or any work afterwords other than just trimming the excess carbon off. If you're doing just a pretty layup like that, all you need to do is take scissors to it.

if you had a rough mold to work from, yes you'd be talking hours of sanding, painting, and waxing to make a good mold to pull from.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is wet lay, not vacuum bagging, which I think is a bit more time consuming. If I get into it, I might vacuum bag stuff in the future, but...baby steps.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n, plz make a CF statue of yourself doing exactly your avatar and plaque it with 'Best Ever' for me would you. :respek:

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

Just wait until I have my entirely CF motorcycle, built out of dreams and :smug:

And then it shatters into a thousand pieces and kings me with a crown of shattered CF and burning hot exhaust.

Make sure you record it for posterity. This sounds like the best way to die.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Z3n, plz make a CF statue of yourself doing exactly your avatar and plaque it with 'Best Ever' for me would you. :respek:

I'll make it out of CF and Unobtanium!

laymil posted:

Make sure you record it for posterity. This sounds like the best way to die.

It really does. I mean, sure, Britten made his own bike, and his own engine, and it withstood the tests of time, and was amazing, but I think I'll settle for "doesn't cause death".

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

This composite stuff sounds like fun. Hey I'm going to borrow the clutch cover from your streetfighter and make a carbon one. (Already started) Better to ask forgivness than permission, as I always say.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

This composite stuff sounds like fun. Hey I'm going to borrow the clutch cover from your streetfighter and make a carbon one. (Already started) Better to ask forgivness than permission, as I always say.

But what about all the oil! :qq:

Stupid ducatis. Real men run their clutches open and pray that their clothes never have an encounter with them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's not as bad as Harleys that run open primary drives, right next to their jeans.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ola posted:

It's not as bad as Harleys that run open primary drives, right next to their jeans chaps.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Z3n posted:

Stupid ducatis. Real men run their clutches open and pray that their clothes never have an encounter with them.

My friend ran his bike for a few months with no clutch cover on his ducati. Bugged the poo poo outta me so I found him a cheap one online and made him buy it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Stupid DRZs keep changing colors. :iiam:

I took it out for the first time today, had an awesome time, and then hit myself in the head with a tire iron attempting to change the tires on the g/f's DRZ. :argh: gently caress bridgestone, gently caress stiff sidewall tires. :(

I need to properly anchor the tire changing machine and pick up a no-mar mount/dismount bar.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

Stupid DRZs keep changing colors. :iiam:

I took it out for the first time today, had an awesome time, and then hit myself in the head with a tire iron attempting to change the tires on the g/f's DRZ. :argh: gently caress bridgestone, gently caress stiff sidewall tires. :(

I need to properly anchor the tire changing machine and pick up a no-mar mount/dismount bar.

Good to see you found a bike for yourself. Looks like it may already have some goodies on it.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

and then hit myself in the head with a tire iron attempting to change the tires on the g/f's DRZ. :argh:

You deserved it for picking up another DRZ :). It actually looks like its in better condition than I'd have expected given the price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good to see you found a bike for yourself. Looks like it may already have some goodies on it.

It does...E base gasket, cams, redone suspension, bash plate, and some other stuff. The suspension is just right for my weight but for some reason it's like an inch or so lower than it should be. I bought it from a tall white guy, I'm not sure why it's so short. I pulled the exhaust off because holy gently caress was it loud. Maybe it'll be better with a spark arrestor on it.

laymil posted:

You deserved it for picking up another DRZ :). It actually looks like its in better condition than I'd have expected given the price.

Yeah, yeah. It's actually in very nice shape, I changed the oil and went for a ride yesterday, had a blast, and the suspension is drat good thanks to the work that was done on it, just very controlable. I need to get rid of the taillight, though, goddamn that poo poo is ugly!

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

Have you considered following Becktastic's lead and painting it an animal print? I suggest leopard or jaguar.

How long until you and your lady's DRZ hooliganism turn you into Bonnie and Clyde?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tipped posted:

Have you considered following Becktastic's lead and painting it an animal print? I suggest leopard or jaguar.

How long until you and your lady's DRZ hooliganism turn you into Bonnie and Clyde?

Haha, no. Mine's gonna end up with a bunch of CF. Why do you think I bought the CF kit? :D As to Bonnie and Clyde...well, I try and keep the wheelies mostly off public streets, haha. Hopefully that'll help me avoid getting arrested.

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

Oh that's right :doh:. You should make a Dakar style front fairing out of CF. Just the potential coolness is making me jealous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tipped posted:

Oh that's right :doh:. You should make a Dakar style front fairing out of CF. Just the potential coolness is making me jealous!

That's actually the plan, considering I'll be touring on it this summer. I'm gonna probably do a bigger one for my bike and a smaller one for the g/f's bike.

• Locked thread