Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm only half joking. :smithicide: I would buy it just for the solo cowl...don't see many of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

I'm only half joking. :smithicide: I would buy it just for the solo cowl...don't see many of those.

Bonus: It's locking and it's matched to the ignition key.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Cool, sounds great!

I'm gonna market it using this as a picture of what it could be, I think:

I think I'm finally learning how to write ads so I filter out most of the idiots. But it is craigslist, after all. :v:

With that said though, when it's all said and done it should be that reliable :)

I kinda miss my CX now :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You shoulda skipped a step and bought a poo poo-heap dirt bike.

When you get that thing running, pre-sale, I should come down and ride my KTM and you should ride the poo poo heap and we should have a gay ole time

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SaNChEzZ posted:

I kinda miss my CX now :(

that's going to be my next purchase.
i want this:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah but where are you going to find a gay Amish boy to sit on the back of it?

I bought this bike and thought for like 30 seconds that I should make a sweet bobber out of it, but I need to resist that temptation so I can go buy some drat dirtbikes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

:golfclap: I literally laughed out loud at this.

Here's my CX before it went bye-bye:

And the replacement:

MACHO MAROON BABY!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

You shoulda skipped a step and bought a poo poo-heap dirt bike.

When you get that thing running, pre-sale, I should come down and ride my KTM and you should ride the poo poo heap and we should have a gay ole time

Not enough money to skip any steps.

And it's rideable now. Although I don't particularly trust the front tire, which resembles a slick, and the front valve stem, which is dry rotted horribly.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

Why can't two men ride a bike together without being gay? loving homophobe.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

frozenphil posted:

He never said anything about the rider, honey. ;-*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

A gay Amish boy is the latest hipster fashion accessory. Show acceptance, dick.

Although it's arguably a hate crime making anyone ride on the back of a bobber/cafe racer like that.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Z3n posted:

Although it's arguably a hate crime making anyone ride on the back of a bobber/cafe racer like that.

This is a singularity of truth. It cannot be altered, destroyed or hidden.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Notice the extremely - dare I say curiously - generous padding on those pillion seats? Perfect if your rear end is tender for any reason

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Tires: On order.
Brakes: Bleed, check calipers, lube slider pins, check pads.
Engine: Change oil, filters, plugs, check valves.
Gauges: The tach is bad but he gave me a replacement, so I'll just swap it in.
Forks: Clean up and check the fork seals.
Final drive: Change the gear oil.
Seat: Recover or replace.
Cosmetics: Try and find a left side cover, hit the bike with some paint, clean up the rust and scrapes on the chrome.

Alright, so last night I ordered some new tires (only the finest Kenda rubber for this bad boy). I bled the brakes, checked the pads, things looked good. Brakes still suck.

I swapped the plugs and it fired up and idled much nicer. Always good. I also repaired the stator wires properly. Today I'll probably check the valves and such on it. I need to pick up some gear oil for the final drive, air and oil filters will be picked up tomorrow. I might also check the valves on the KTM today, depends on how productive I feel.

I also called Helimot after my zipper broke on my one piece, sent him some pictures, and he said the easiest way to avoid shipping it to and from Santa Barbara at ~40$ each way, was to just have me come by the shop at 8PM on a Friday when I'll be traveling through the Bay. Goddamn, I love Helimot. Personal service 2 hours after close? No problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Today I adjusted the valves on the KTM, in preparation for it being taken on a trip of some sort.

I don't have a picture of it when I started, so this will have to do:

So from there I removed the seat, air filter:

Remove the airbox, disconnecting the air flow sensor and the bottom breather tube:

Disconnect the connector that ends up lying across the valve cover, remove the 2 breather hoses and the valve cover:

Line up the marking on the cam to the top of the head:

Check the valve clearances. As it turns out, the exhausts were good (.12mm/.12mm), but the intakes were just on the edge of tight (.07/.09), and the spec is .07 to .13. So...remove the 2 bolts on the top, thread a bolt in and gently remove the arm that the rocker mounts to, as well as the rocker:

Here's the rocker, rocker mounting rod, and bolts that secure it:

Take a break for food when you go to swap shims at the dealership:

And then of course I completely forget to take pictures for the rest of it, but just scroll back up to the top and you end up with my test ride.

I also did the 15 minute idle reset (god it feels wrong to just let a bike idle for 15 minutes), and the TPS reset. First valve adjustment done, 11k miles on the clock, all filters have been changed recently, new plug (18$ plug, what the gently caress KTM), and fresh oil, and it's ready for a trackday and/or a trip up highway one. :neckbeard: No rocker issues either. God, I love this bike. I also waterproofed everything in case I decide to roll through some more hardcore streams than this in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GejvWcavHG8

Oh, I forgot there's still a 2 inch circle of exposed cords on the rear tire. Need to replace that before it's completely ready to go, I have a takeoff on it's way from ebay.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 29, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
My friendly neighbourhood bike shop has just been rebuilding a grenaded 690SM. The bearing that carries the right side of the cam (i.e. the one that's not carrying the cam sprocket) spun and blew shrapnel everywhere. Complete engine strip down and rebuild, although they advised the customer to just buy a new motor. Watch out for that bearing...

e:

Thissaone:

Apparently it's a roller bearing or something like that not just a plain/plane bearing or a carrier or whatever. And apparently this is slightly unusual precisely because of the risk of poo poo going nuclear just as happened with the bike I'm talking about, not that I know poo poo about the whys and wherefores of building engines.

ee: note also handy oilways for swarf to jump down when the bearing fails.

Saga fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 29, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

My friendly neighbourhood bike shop has just been rebuilding a grenaded 690SM. The bearing that carries the right side of the cam (i.e. the one that's not carrying the cam sprocket) spun and blew shrapnel everywhere. Complete engine strip down and rebuild, although they advised the customer to just buy a new motor. Watch out for that bearing...

That's the first I've heard of problems with that bearing, far more common is the rollers on the valve rockers chattering and scoring. I have one that was on it's way out on my desk right now.

z3n: did you find any scoring or radial marking on the rollers or cam lobes?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
As a general rule I thought roller bearings were top notch and fail incredibly rarely? Of course i'm thinking of the first Suzuki GS engines which has roller bearing bottom ends.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

As a general rule I thought roller bearings were top notch and fail incredibly rarely? Of course i'm thinking of the first Suzuki GS engines which has roller bearing bottom ends.

All I can tell you is I looked at the remains and it wasn't pretty. The outer race welded itself to the seat and the rest of the bearing exploded everywhere. I think the owner is gambling that there isn't any swarf lurking anywhere, because the cheapest running replacement was something like £1300.

:hitler: Herr Oberst, ve must stop buying zese e-bay bearings!

:monocle: But zey are zo economical, unt mid free shipping und freegift from seller geeleenumbervunspecialbearing! Zis is a critical part of our just in time productionsystem - look, "ships within 1 business day". Ve haff bought all ze LC4 640 bearings zis vay.

:hitler: Ja, about zat...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

e:

Thissaone:

Apparently it's a roller bearing or something like that not just a plain/plane bearing or a carrier or whatever. And apparently this is slightly unusual precisely because of the risk of poo poo going nuclear just as happened with the bike I'm talking about, not that I know poo poo about the whys and wherefores of building engines.

ee: note also handy oilways for swarf to jump down when the bearing fails.

That sucks. However, I will hold that they must have not changed the oil with genuine, church of KTM purchased God's blood, and thusly the premature failure of their bearings. I shall hold on to this conviction with all the strength of a young sinner expecting his cross to ward off evil.

Because, gently caress it, that's all I really have.

ReelBigLizard posted:

That's the first I've heard of problems with that bearing, far more common is the rollers on the valve rockers chattering and scoring. I have one that was on it's way out on my desk right now.

z3n: did you find any scoring or radial marking on the rollers or cam lobes?

Nope, I was concerned about that, but both rollers felt nice and smooth and there was no scoring or radial marking on the rollers or the cam lobes. Definitely nothing along the lines of what I've seen in some other pictures.

Saga posted:

All I can tell you is I looked at the remains and it wasn't pretty. The outer race welded itself to the seat and the rest of the bearing exploded everywhere. I think the owner is gambling that there isn't any swarf lurking anywhere, because the cheapest running replacement was something like £1300.

:hitler: Herr Oberst, ve must stop buying zese e-bay bearings!

:monocle: But zey are zo economical, unt mid free shipping und freegift from seller geeleenumbervunspecialbearing! Zis is a critical part of our just in time productionsystem - look, "ships within 1 business day". Ve haff bought all ze LC4 640 bearings zis vay.

:hitler: Ja, about zat...

That pretty much sums up most of KTM's bearing purchases, I think. I think Herr Oberst was finally fired before they built the 690 engines...of course, there's all that bearing overstock to work through...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Well, you could be right. The owner bought it very cheap on e-bay (although the SMs always go for cheaper) when we surmise it probably had a bit of a clatter, which was ignored, and then that turned into a BANG BANG BANG.

Could well be that the PO ran it out of oil, realised his or her mistake, quickly refilled the thing and put it on ebay.

Just something to watch out for the next time you do the clearances was really the point. AFAIK KTM declined to do anything to help out the owner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Well, you could be right. The owner bought it very cheap on e-bay (although the SMs always go for cheaper) when we surmise it probably had a bit of a clatter, which was ignored, and then that turned into a BANG BANG BANG.

Could well be that the PO ran it out of oil, realised his or her mistake, quickly refilled the thing and put it on ebay.

Just something to watch out for the next time you do the clearances was really the point. AFAIK KTM declined to do anything to help out the owner.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, for all the :smug: and :downs: you see in my posts, I do appreciate the heads up. In my mind, a single failure is typically user error, but having the data point means that when another one pops up, you know to look out for that.

Still, I have difficulty believing it's entirely KTM's fault, as there are no other recorded instances of those bearings failing. I think your idea with oil starvation -> clatter is a good one, these are NOT engines you want to starve of oil at all. Run an SV650 a quart low and it's probably gonna lop 20k off the end life of the engine, run a 690 low, and I expect you're going to end up with issues really quickly. I wish the top end had better oiling than splash oiling, but I'd imagine as long as you're careful to keep on top of your oil changes/etc with it, you should be fine. There wasn't significant wear on the rocker arm or rocker arm mounting rod, so I figure the top end has been oiled nicely thus far. I'm also loving anal about warming the bike up, so that probably helps too.

Unfortunately, to check that bearing, you have to remove the cam, which doesn't need to be done to change the valve shims. The bike isn't making any funny noises at the moment, so I'll cross my fingers and toss some MotoREX over my shoulder and call it good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No pictures, but I fixed the no start issue with the GL500...the wires to the ignition had rotted away, so I put in fresh connectors. Next up is tires, changing the final drive oil, maybe some paint, and then listing it for sale.

In the mean time, it's bachelor party weekend, so I will be incoherent and drunk for the majority of it. Not too different from the norm, really.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
hey Z3n can you do me a favor and give a rough walk through of what to do to try to get an old bike started? Im doing my first break down on the kz1000 but its a little out of my league to try to get it running. Just some basic concept steps would be good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

hey Z3n can you do me a favor and give a rough walk through of what to do to try to get an old bike started? Im doing my first break down on the kz1000 but its a little out of my league to try to get it running. Just some basic concept steps would be good.

Quick and easy:

Get fresh gas in there. No old gas, as old gas makes any bike run like poo poo. Sometimes it's enough to just drain the tank and put new stuff in, sometimes you have to drain the float bowls, sometimes you have to pull the carbs and clean them out.
A good, well charged battery. I've got a few on the shelf that I use for stuff like this.
Check that it contains coolant that looks like coolant.
Make sure there's no mice nests in the airbox, the filter is relatively intact, dirty is ok.
Check the oil, if there is oil in the bike at the appropriate fill level, it's ok to try and start it.

If the bike has run in the last 3 years, that should be enough to get it running. It usually won't idle, but it'll probably fire up. Plus gas, a jump, and checking the oil are all super cheap.

More involved (on something like a CBX or other rare bike, or something that has been stored for 5+ years), would be:

Oil change, filter change, cut the filter open and inspect it for serious debris.
Check/clean/change the air filter.
Coolant check
Pull the carbs, clean them, bench test them for leaks.
Flush the tank, run clean gas through it, making sure you're not getting any rust or crap.
Fresh plugs
New, fully charged battery, or jump source.

Then I'd turn the bike over and check for spark. If spark is good, then slap it all together, and see if it'll fire.

I don't generally bother with compression tests on non-running bikes until they won't fire up. Compression tests do not read accurately when bikes have been sitting due to buildup on the cylinder walls and the occasional sticky ring, which will clean up after some use.

If I paid under a grand for a bike, I'm generally going to do the quick and easy just because there's no sense in putting a bunch of money in fluids, plugs, filters, etc. unless there's some kind of special consideration. Especially considering I need to check if it still has second gear/a working transmission.

Spanking Giraffe
Sep 4, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Errant Gin Monks posted:

An old KZ1000 that's been sitting for a while? Clean the spark plugs and adjust gaps. Flush the float bowls (you'll probably need an impact screwdriver here) and drain the tank. Add new fuel as Z3n suggested. Buy a new battery. Change oil and filter. If it doesn't start right up, buy some diesel start spray and hit the airbox with it.

Z3n posted:

on something like a CBX or other rare bike.

Nice troll bait. Yummi, I took it. You're too late though, pal. Another friendly forum user has already kicked my balls ;)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Thanks guys, as soon as the weather turns we are tearing into this thing. I am pausing on the VLX until I get new handlebars.. so I keep staring at the KZ. drat you 105 degree south Texas weather!!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aww I got an official BoJ ban in my thread! :3:

Anyways, today I changed the front tire and final drive oil on the Silverwing. It's almost to the point where I'd be willing to take it to work. Also, I'm glad the PO used the time honored tradition of cranking the idle to make up for poorly adjusted valves and bad gas. :v:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thanks guys, as soon as the weather turns we are tearing into this thing. I am pausing on the VLX until I get new handlebars.. so I keep staring at the KZ. drat you 105 degree south Texas weather!!

What part of South Texas? (Austin goon here)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, let's get this shitshow on the road again:

Since the last update, some things have happened.

Last month, I took a week off to go play in a friend's shop. As it happens, he's sort of a guy who's spent a long time building cars and bikes. Perhaps his most famous car is this one:

Props if anyone can ID it on sight. It Solo'd in one piece of American History, and also had a starring role in a cult American car movie.

Anyways, I'm lucky enough to have an in with him through the guy who taught me how to work on bikes in the first place. He vouched for me, and I managed to parley that into a week of time spent helping him move his shop in exchange for him teaching me the basics of welding, fabrication, sheet metal shaping, and construction. I pushed poo poo around and moved things for him, and he taught me the basics of some invaluable skills. I think I got the better end of the deal.

We started with TIG welding:

Steel wasn't too difficult, I got my :smug: on with that.

Then I moved to alumnium, which promptly hosed the smug right off my face.

I also bent some metal, learned some basics on shaping sheet metal, used an English wheel, a plenishing hammer, metal break/sheer, beverly shears, and a bunch of other random tools. He also gave me the start of my metalworking toolkit, providing me with a wooden blank that I used to make my first tool (a wooden metal shaping hammer), and a leather sandbag to shape metal on. Finally, I did some Oxy Acetylene torch welding, which I probably should have started with, but I wanted to TIG goddamnit.

That was a month ago. Since then, I've come back to the hooptie, finished my wooden hammer (still need to contact cement the leather to the bottom of it), and sold the KTM to fund the startup costs of customizing. The KTM was sold a few days ago, I ordered 200$ in metalworking hammers and dollys.

I still need a couple of items to start with, mainly I need to buy an Oxy Acetylene regulator/torch/cutting tip setup, some more hacksaw blades, a rawhide hammer, and a TIG welder, but I'm one week off from me and my wife's wedding ceremony, and she'll be moving back to the Bay Area shortly after that. I'll be sticking around Santa Barbara a few more months to work, and then we'll go on our honeymoon, and I'll take a month or so off between jobs to finally put the skills I've learned to use.

In the meantime, Korwen flew out to CA to enjoy riding the 690 up and down the coast of CA to San Francisco and back, we had a good time hanging out and taking in the sights of Santa Barbara and stuff.

Also, we had a bunch of CAers swing by for a Conan the Barbarian party, which was a blast. Horrible movie, but a great time. Also checked the valves on Sanchezz's Triumph, successfully went on a group ride without anyone crashing, and took a bunch of pictures that got posted in the CA tag thread.

That brings us up to this weekend...

Motomind is coming to reclaim the KLR tonight, then it's wedding prep, and perhaps picking up the KTM's replacement this weekend. Just depends on if the guy with the bike I want gets back to me or not.

In bikes, the hooptie is currently stripped for paint in the garage, taunting me with the cool things it could be. I'll slap it back together soon, sell it for a neat profit, and start looking for my next bike to hack up. I want to find an RD or RZ350 and do a restomod thing on it: 17 inch wheels, proper brakes, modern tires and suspension. I've been doing a fair amount of reading on chassis design and setup, and I think this will be a good first project. If I do it right, I should be able to get the job done for minimal cost...just gotta wait for the right deal to come up on the right bike. Also, I think it's finally time to buy a dirtbike/supermoto.

Until the perfect RD/RZ shows up, I might consider a cafe project, depending on how much goodwill I have with the folks I'll be couch surfing with while the wife is in the Bay.

And that's what has happened since I last posted. These should be here late next week, and things should finally get on the road then :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Will be very cool to follow a restomod. Any ideas for a paint job? I love new looking designs in old colors.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace

Z3n posted:

Last month, I took a week off to go play in a friend's shop. As it happens, he's sort of a guy who's spent a long time building cars and bikes. Perhaps his most famous car is this one:

Props if anyone can ID it on sight. It Solo'd in one piece of American History, and also had a starring role in a cult American car movie.

Two Lane Blacktop :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

I think I'm finally learning how to write ads so I filter out most of the idiots. But it is craigslist, after all.
Yeah?

Got any secrets you'd not mind divulging? :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Will be very cool to follow a restomod. Any ideas for a paint job? I love new looking designs in old colors.

I'm thinking the next bike I paint will be done in black and gold.

Parabellum posted:

Two Lane Blacktop :)

Nice! I'm really not sure how much ground that movie really has covered...I only know about it from being friends with Richard.

Jabs posted:

Yeah?

Got any secrets you'd not mind divulging? :D

Lots of nice, big pictures (use HTML embed code off), cover all the questions you'd ask.

Of course, people will then contact you and ask all the same questions again, but that's craiglist for you.

Anyways, this weekend was filled with wedding prep stuff, although I carved out a decent amount of time on Sunday to help fix a friend's Honda Shadow, and then a neighbor dropped by while I had the garage door open and asked if I could take a look at a Honda CRF230L that his father in law had had sitting in the back yard for a year or so. A little torn up, but a carb clean, fresh gas, plug, oil change, chain clean and lube, and some other odds and ends and it was up and running great. It needs a replacement front master cylinder as well, but that's a pretty trivial job. The agreed on price was $95 in labor, so not bad for an hours work. Fun little bike.

Also, that evening a piece of my riding history came back to roost...I had taught a friend how to ride years ago, and had helped him purchase his first bike, a 99 SV650. After graduation in 07 he moved east to go to med school, and he wasn't able to take his bike with him, so he gifted it to his brother. As it turns out, right around the time that I was selling the KTM word came through the grapevine that his brother was looking to sell his old SV. I had helped him purchase and maintain the bike, as well as helping with many of the mod installs. After a bit of negotiation we agreed on $1500. It's even got a handlebar assembly that I made on it right now, just like I like. Funny to have this piece of my riding history coming back to me. Feel good :)

Mod list:

quote:

1. GSXR 600 front forks
2. HELLA Projectors and HID
3. Foot peg lifter plates
4. GSXR rear suspension
5. Seats reupholstered with vinyl carbon
6. Trail Tech gauges
7. Micron Exhaust
8. Steel braided lines
9. New pilot road 2 tires
10. Airtech fairings
11. Motoslider front and rear sliders
12. CRG levers
13. Brand new battery

Those of long memory might even remember it from these pictures:

I also have a potential line on an Ohlins shock for it, and I'm thinking no SV of mine would be right without flatslides. Let's make a proper streetfighter out of this thing!

Next weekend is the wedding, so I'll be grabbing it the weekend after. Initial plans are to pull off the fairings, rig up a headlight assembly with some Daytona 675 projectors that Sanchezz offered to me, and just see where whimsy takes me. The end goal is probably to hang a set of 848 fairings on it for track plastics, and maybe start marketing a conversion kit of sorts for giggles. I might do that on the Gen 2 bikes instead though, much more of a market there. This one might get a cheap set of 916 plastics for track use, as I rather enjoyed that setup on my racebike.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
He graduated in 08. He's a year younger than us :colbert:

I on the other hand am not so pleased that we have an SV returning. At least this one doesn't suck as much.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bunway Airlines posted:

He graduated in 08. He's a year younger than us :colbert:

I on the other hand am not so pleased that we have an SV returning. At least this one doesn't suck as much.

Whatever it's all the same once you're out of college.

Anyways, not many updates going on here. Watched the gardeners cut back a solid chunk of our "backyard". But at least it's a chance to show off My First DSLR!

:haw:

Edit: Also gummy bears praying to their gummy, coke god.

Also rabbit HQ checking in:

Sniper loaf:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 5, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This weekend I...

Drove to Bakersfield to buy the SV650. Left at 8AM, got back at 3PM.

Bike wasn't starting...needed a fresh battery, some fresh gas to mix with the bad stuff, seafoam, and the carbs cleaned. By 4PM I had it running.

It needs: Brake fluid flushed, valves checked (I adjusted them years ago at 23k, IIRC). I'd like to go through and grease the swingarm pivots, linkages, etc.

The list of good:
GSX-R front end
GSX-R rear shock
Fatbar handlebar conversion
CRG levers (Long clutch, short brake)
Vapor Trailtech
new Pilot Road 2
SS lines
Frame Sliders
Recently replaced clutch springs, water pump.

The questionable/need to be fixed:
Micron high mount (stupid loud)
Airtech fairing kit
HID lights

The bad:
Needs chain and sprockets.
Needs Valve adjustment
Need to grease swingarm pivot/linkages/steering bearings
Slight shudder in the brakes, need to check that none of the buttons are frozen.

Not bad for $1500.
Some closeups:

On Sunday I took it out for it's inaugural spin up to the local hangout, where I had the joyous experience of watching Harley riders barely be able to use the clutch while making immense amounts of noise, and a guy who was so drunk he was puking into his sandwich. No idea how he was gonna make it home. I adjusted the suspension after the ride and things are pretty good now. Certainly good enough for commuting.

Plans for the bike: Strip the fairing off, sell that plus the HIDs, fab up a headlight mount and drop in the Daytona 675 projectors that Sanchezz is sending me. Going to do an over/under configuration like a 999. Make a baffle for the exhaust. From there, I might try and do something crazy, like making a subframe and trying to rig up a dual undertail exhaust. Also, I'd like to try and find a set of flatslides and do the cam swap on it, because I love flatslides and the lopey idle it gets when you cam it out. I also need to clean up the wiring, which is a MESS.

I also discovered a potential new toy on craigslist, so tomorrow I'm gonna drive up and take a look at it. If that works out, it'll be my next project.

Still waiting for my Fanatec wheel, pedals, and shifter to show up for Forzaing. Eventually I'll make a racing cockpit for that too.

And that about wraps up things for me :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 17, 2011

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

over/under configuration like a 999.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
You had a CA party and didn't invite me? Dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

You had a CA party and didn't invite me? Dick.

Whelp now I feel like a douche.

• Locked thread