Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

hayden. posted:

Kawasaki had (or still has) a $50/month credit card that lasts a year or two. An acquaintance of mine was pissed when, a year or two later, he still owed the entire MSRP+fees+service plan. He didn't realize this until he was trying to sell the bike for some extra cash, only to realize selling it would actually cost him considerably.

So he thought two years later that Kawasaki sold him the bike for $1200?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hayden. posted:

Kawasaki had (or still has) a $50/month credit card that lasts a year or two. An acquaintance of mine was pissed when, a year or two later, he still owed the entire MSRP+fees+service plan. He didn't realize this until he was trying to sell the bike for some extra cash, only to realize selling it would actually cost him considerably.

Yep, I went to a Kawi dealer just to check things out, see what I was missing by getting an older bike vs. a new one.

The salesman didn't care that I wanted to look at the EX250, EX500, and some naked standard V-twins and rather told me about how I could get on a literbike for $50/mo.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
speaking of outfuckingrageous payments...

---
Fire sale, emergency assume payments - $600 (Savano park)
Date: 2010-04-13, 2:21PM CDT

Need responsable party to assume payments under my credit @ a cost of 600.00 per month. 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. Black on Black with all the options, pipes, ect. Only serious parties needed. I am a great judge of person, so no bullshit. If your calling for fun, you will be dismissed. Call Rick @ 682-365-6459
---

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Raven457 posted:

Need responsable party to assume payments under my credit @ a cost of 600.00 per month.

Well that's impossible, no responsable person would ever do that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1695532178.html

I'm guessing this would be the worst starter bike known to mankind. Would be so much more exiting than an SV650 or EX500. (I'm not actually considering buying it, turbo bikes are just so :rock:).

quote:

1982 Honda CX500 TURBO - $2500 (Cedar Creek)

Date: 2010-04-16, 3:21PM CDT
Reply to: sale-ssbkq-1695532178@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Excellent for age CX 500 Turbo Honda. Only made for a few years. Great bike. Soooo smoooooth. New battery. Runs great. Need new rear master cylinder - which I have and a front master cylinder rebuild. Clear title in my name.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Weinertron posted:

Yep, I went to a Kawi dealer just to check things out, see what I was missing by getting an older bike vs. a new one.

The salesman didn't care that I wanted to look at the EX250, EX500, and some naked standard V-twins and rather told me about how I could get on a literbike for $50/mo.

See that 2 year of 0% interest or whatever isn't such a bad idea, say you put down about 4000$ down and just pay the 6k or whatever off in 2 years time, thats what i'd do if I wanted a brand new one. But it seems better to just get a model thats a year or 2 behind the current one for about 60% of the price, the supersport bikes usually get changed every 2-3 years anyways.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Weinertron posted:

I'm guessing this would be the worst starter bike known to mankind. Would be so much more exiting than an SV650 or EX500. (I'm not actually considering buying it, turbo bikes are just so :rock:).

This would be a horrible starter bike, and you are right for not considering it, even though we know you are lying about not considering it. -Otherwise you would never have brought it to our attention.

You are so busted!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

infraboy posted:

See that 2 year of 0% interest or whatever isn't such a bad idea, say you put down about 4000$ down and just pay the 6k or whatever off in 2 years time, thats what i'd do if I wanted a brand new one. But it seems better to just get a model thats a year or 2 behind the current one for about 60% of the price, the supersport bikes usually get changed every 2-3 years anyways.

Gotta be careful with that two year deadline, though. I know some credit cards throw on all the back interest if it isn't paid off in 2 years.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Weinertron posted:

They are hilariously awesome, just..yeah, not beginner bikes. At all.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Stop ruining things. You're not a nice guy at all.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Pretty sure those 2-year inflatable rate "motorcycle financing" schemes are going out the window with the new credit card legislation. Though I have quite a bit of sympathy for people who get trapped under those schemes, this guy is a massive douche:

Raven457 posted:

Fire sale, emergency assume payments - $600 (Savano park)
Date: 2010-04-13, 2:21PM CDT

Need responsable party to assume payments under my credit @ a cost of 600.00 per month.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
If I recall. since it was a credit card transaction, wouldn't that be unsecured? So even though a guy couldn't pay the card off with the proceeds, he could at least sell the drat bike and then make his finance 101 tuition payments on a bike he doesn't own anymore.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

But, but .. it's only a 500! :haw:

Gnomad posted:

If I recall. since it was a credit card transaction, wouldn't that be unsecured? So even though a guy couldn't pay the card off with the proceeds, he could at least sell the drat bike and then make his finance 101 tuition payments on a bike he doesn't own anymore.

It says credit, not credit card. Vehicle financing is still on your credit record. What he means is that you get the bike and make his payments, but it's still in his name. It's really not a good idea since you can't register his bike since he'll have to keep it in his name. So you ride a bike that isn't yours for the bottom basement price of $600 a month.

The guy is loving delusional.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Doctor Zero posted:

But, but .. it's only a 500! :haw:

It says credit, not credit card. Vehicle financing is still on your credit record. What he means is that you get the bike and make his payments, but it's still in his name. It's really not a good idea since you can't register his bike since he'll have to keep it in his name. So you ride a bike that isn't yours for the bottom basement price of $600 a month.

The guy is loving delusional.

Plus if you don't make the payments, his credit takes a dive, haha. Wow. So all the benefits of financing with none of the responsibility!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I worked with a guy who bought a Yamaha ATV on the plan, and his was strictly a credit card transaction. After a fairly short period of time he figured out the deal and arranged other financing. Maybe the street bikes were actual credit tranactions rather than a credit card purchase.

The guy with the Harley, well, he's just screwed. And for sure he's trying to pass that screwing along to the next dreamer. $600 a month should buy not only the Harley but the truck to carry it around in.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome paint job right here.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1664636087.html

You also get the matching helmet.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Plinkey posted:

Awesome paint job right here.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1664636087.html

You also get the matching helmet.

I've been watching that one get posted every other day and just LoLing. Who buys a triumph and decides it needs a spiderman paint job?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Gnomad posted:

I worked with a guy who bought a Yamaha ATV on the plan, and his was strictly a credit card transaction. After a fairly short period of time he figured out the deal and arranged other financing. Maybe the street bikes were actual credit tranactions rather than a credit card purchase.

The guy with the Harley, well, he's just screwed. And for sure he's trying to pass that screwing along to the next dreamer. $600 a month should buy not only the Harley but the truck to carry it around in.

Ah yeah, that's right. Honda does the same thing. Then I suppose, yeah, it could be that he sells you the bike, but you pay him $600 a month and he pays the credit? But that doesn't make sense because what would keep you from just taking off with the bike?

Meh ... I've put way too much thought into this dope. :shobon:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

At least he knows exactly what he wants.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1704629346.html

quote:

WTB MORE CHROME - $1488 (austin)

Date: 2010-04-22, 10:58AM CDT
Reply to: sale-hkz3k-1704629346@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

i have a 2008 NIGHT TRAIN and i will buy any chrome accessories you have for it. even if it doesnt fit i will drill a hole in it and bolt it on my hog somehow. i am also looking for larger flat chrome pieces, i plan on making chrome plate armor for my leather jacket and chaps. ROT RALLY WILL BE MINE. please email me with any and all chrome that you want to sell.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
if you are in the portland area and you don't at least go to look at this just to hang out with the seller for twenty minutes then you are a moron

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Will Trade for Guns knives lynyrd skynyrd tickets or fishing gear.

This dude has got to be awesome.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Are rednecks not common in your neck of the woods or something? I guess living in Alabama makes that ad nothing special to me as it describes basically everyone in this state.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
GOLDMINE!

http://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy/1706052583.html

(I have an 850, and want that seat, possibly the black pipes too)

Might as well pick up an extra engine or two while I'm there.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Is this good? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1706748520.html

The bike looks pretty good, and I know BMWs are typically way overpriced.

quote:

$5800 2001 BMW 1100RT ABS

This is great bike, I used it to commute to Everett every day, the only reason I'm selling it is because I have just bought a K Series and I can't have two bikes in the garage.

Bike has:
Heated Grips
Heated Corbin Seats (Recovered this summer so they look spankin' new)
Removable backrest for rider or passenger
ABS Brakes
Wired with TireAlert
Has electrical accessory box
Headlight modulator
TailBlazer
Manual Cruise control
PIA lights (yellow) mounted above mirrors - great high viz!
Modest reflective tape
Matching hard bags
Matching hard trunk
I'll throw in a tank bag and some additional misc. pieces.
85K miles (I commute 100 miles a day)
Maintained by BMW certified techs
Color is "Champagne" - which is a tan/silver/pewter color - you don't see it very often

Questions - just drop me a line. Will consider reasonable cash offers.

Test rides for serious buyers with INS and MC endorsement

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is this good? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1706748520.html

The bike looks pretty good, and I know BMWs are typically way overpriced.

Craigslook shows $5000-$6950 for '1100RT ABS'.
Looks like a decent deal to me, compared to the 'national average'.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1706933361.html

I think I could live with the mismatched fairings for that price, hah i'd be tempted to buy it and have it sit in the garage until i'm ready to ride a liter bike

2004 Honda cbr1000rr has 18,000 miles, clean title in hand, runs great. ONLY $3,500 cash THIS WEEKEND ONLY.

Full Erion Exhaust with Power Commander

CRG shorty levers

Steel braided brake lines

Brand new Diablo Corsa IIIs front and rear tires

Fresh oil and filter change.

Bike was downed by previous owner at 5mph so it has a small rub on the right side lower fairing. It rides and runs flawless.

Only asking $3,500 THIS WEEKEND ONLY. I don't have internet so you'll have to call or text Mike 831-332-9625. Thanks for reading.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1706750205.html

doesn't list the miles on it but it looks good.

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Runs great
New Battery, rear tire
Selling it because I have to drop the baby to daycare everyday and can't ride anymore.
Thanks for looking

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
babies fit in hardbags, don't they?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

babies fit in hardbags, don't they?

damned right they do

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Don't forget to drill holes.

(in the bags)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

hayden. posted:

Gotta be careful with that two year deadline, though. I know some credit cards throw on all the back interest if it isn't paid off in 2 years.

Most of these low-to-no payment 0% APR financing setups work like that. Its actually not a bad deal if you have the cash in hand anyway and have it sitting somewhere where it makes money (like Ford stock, for example) and can pull it out a couple months before the deadline and pay it off in full on time.

Of course, that would require being fiscally responsible and these schemes aren't set up for people like that.

And that guy with the Bandit obviously needs a custom child-seat tail rack, not a new vehicle.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Adjustable rate motorcycle financing has gone the way of the dodo.

The adjustable rate financing got axed when the latest credit card bill took effect.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 24, 2010

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't forget to drill holes.

(in the bags)

That would ruin the bags.

Babies are small, they don't need much oxygen, and they hardly cry at all after a while if they are well sealed.

I can say this now, having raised my children to nominal adulthood.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
it fell because I saved it in a spectacular display of piloting from an ancephaletic soccer mom on her cellphone in an SUV, while riding in a flash-freeze in january, and I went on to repair it with better-than-original parts. Between repairs and the spirit animal that now lives in the bike filled with courage of the bear and the cunning of the tiger, the value has increased 10%.

somebody get that guy an SA account.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It got flagged and removed pretty quick, probably by the last jackass to claim his bike fell over.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It should have been sent to best-of-craigslist instead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1707869987.html

quote:

Kawasiki 1000cc Concours - $2000 (South Austin)

Date: 2010-04-24, 12:24PM CDT
Reply to: see below

This 1987 Runs and Looks good.It has 43,,500 miles on it.Has a clear blue texas title.

So.... would an 80's touring bike be terribly irresponsible for a first bike? Shouldn't be as twitchy as a sportbike, and I'm not seeing any reasons why it should be prohibitively expensive to own. Would an 80s shaft drive cause weird handling issues?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
A quick searching of the webbernets notes that it probably makes (or at one time made...that's a lot of miles on a bike) 100hp. That's too much to start out on.

Also, enjoy picking up a 600+ lb bike when you drop it. Because you will drop it.

[edit] As for it being a sport bike, its essentially a detuned Ninja 1000R with a tourer stance. Same engine.

In the interest of not being too negative-nancy, its a nice looking bike for its age.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 25, 2010

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I once sold a bike that was literally only damaged by dropping it in my drive way once, and once in a parking lot. Both times I wasn't actually moving when it fell. So there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I've mentioned this before, but it's timely-the wind blew a bike over in my driveway and the insurance company totaled it. So it can happen. I managed to drop a bike one time against a car and pinned myself quite nicely, driveway drops happen.