Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
This is amazing, FFXII looks beautiful. I fiddled around with stuff for hours and then BLAM it worked. I wish I knew what did it but I'm not having problems trying out other games.

However I've hit a roadblock, I can't decide which jobs to give Balthier and Fran! Vaan got made a Uhlan so he can use the Zodiac Spear. B & F kind of are guns and bows to the max but I'm gonna need some healing... how interesting are guns anyway... would a sky pirate be a black mage?

Stuck in the tunnels for hours waiting for me to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Tallgeese posted:

So, I have an i7 920 at 2.66 Ghz.

Is the speed rating going to handicap me in any fashion, or will the fact that it's an i7 save the day?

I'm not really the type of person who plays at crazy-high resolutions or anything.
The gigaherz haven't been a relevant way to measure speed since the Pentium and the i7 920 is a great CPU.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SoulChicken posted:

This is amazing, FFXII looks beautiful. I fiddled around with stuff for hours and then BLAM it worked. I wish I knew what did it but I'm not having problems trying out other games.

However I've hit a roadblock, I can't decide which jobs to give Balthier and Fran! Vaan got made a Uhlan so he can use the Zodiac Spear. B & F kind of are guns and bows to the max but I'm gonna need some healing... how interesting are guns anyway... would a sky pirate be a black mage?

Stuck in the tunnels for hours waiting for me to decide.

Uhlan is a pretty bad choice considering the magic and skills available to them. You'll find that magic damage far exceeds physical damage in FF12 International. Why whittle away at 6-7k a hit with the Zodiac Spear when you could be dealing 20k in an AoE with Blizzaga? Also the Zodiac Spear has been moved and is now an item found very late into the game and requires a lot of trophy hunting to unlock.

If you care about stats and etc. Ashe or Penelo make good mages. Vaan and Basch make good physical classes. Balthier and Fran have pretty poor stat growth, with Fran being the absolute worst. For example, Balthier as a Black Mage may never max out his Magic stat, but Ashe as a Black Mage will max it by level 60-70.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Gyoru posted:

There's a new GSdx plugin developer since the original one has been MIA for a long time. There's new 5x and 6x scaler options. Add "allowHacks=1" to \inis\GSdx.ini to see some of the new options in the plugin config.

Tried 6x scaling at 1280x960 on a Q6600/4850X2... brought to its knees. A shame. 5x stutters but is generally playable.

Amazing how much horsepower one needs to emulate the PS2, but the upscaling is worth it. Thanks for these builds!

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
So what's the deal with loading save states? They seem to work randomly. Well they work fine when in a simlar graphical situation in game, but outside of that, it just freezes up the emulator or makes it crash. Only really tried with FFXII.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Hoppin Tin posted:

So what's the deal with loading save states? They seem to work randomly. Well they work fine when in a simlar graphical situation in game, but outside of that, it just freezes up the emulator or makes it crash. Only really tried with FFXII.

Check your settings? I had some save state issues when I used an old beta version, but when I switched to the current build later on it worked again.

Try to reinstall the build you're using?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
There was a range of builds where that would happen if you had VU Cycle Stealing (speedhack) enabled. It's been fixed for a bit though.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
I'm using the latest build through the legacy GUI, which btw, what's the difference between legacy and the regular GUI?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The new one will be better when it is finished, but for now, lots of things in it are just plain broken or do nothing, so I imagine trying to use it would be rather frustrating/confusing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm using the latest build, and I have a bunch of memory cards I want to manage, but the memory card config window is completely grayed-out. How do I fix this?

EDIT: Ah, thanks. VVVV

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 9, 2010

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tarezax posted:

I'm using the latest build, and I have a bunch of memory cards I want to manage, but the memory card config window is completely grayed-out. How do I fix this?

You're using the new GUI, as opposed to the legacy one, right? That's one of the many things that are currently not working yet in the new one. Use the legacy GUI.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does the latest svn have multithreaded processing already turned on? Because I don't see an option for it like before.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.
Apologies for the foolish question, but:

If the Game Compatibility list is really old, and neither of the more recent versions of PCSX2 I've tried allow me to run Valkyrie Profile 2, do I really have to keep rolling backwards until I find a version that'll run it? Why is this the case - that a previous version (a very old one, at that) apparently runs a game with NO issues, and the current betas cause the emulator to crash on load?

Thanks.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Search the pcsx2 forums for the game name and find the inevitable thread where someone asks. I know that game comes up a lot. Off the top of my head, did you try the Tri-Ace gamefix in the game-fixes section?

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.

Lakitu7 posted:

Search the pcsx2 forums for the game name and find the inevitable thread where someone asks. I know that game comes up a lot. Off the top of my head, did you try the Tri-Ace gamefix in the game-fixes section?

Oh, duh. Well it boots, that's a start! I'll go check the forums to see if I can fix the couple other problems it seems to be having. Thanks!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

New SVN Build - r2691
Full
Update

Bug fixes mostly.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
This is funny.

The latest GSX plugin (0.1.15) crashes my display driver, so I have to use the older driver (0.1.9) and while I tend to get better speeds overall in the alpha builds, they choke on a dick in FFX when you leave the temple after you first meet Yuna. Oh, and the movies have weird interlacing issues in the decoding in the latest alpha build too.

Why's it funny? It's just like EPSXE. There's no best build (yea, I know it's an alpha), and on a per-game basis you jump between them or choose an older one where it worked best.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Yea, I noticed the same thing. The 0.9.6 release is solid but slow. I started making my own builds for SVn and it is fast but with DX 10 instead of DX 9 it crashes every couple of minutes.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Half the commits in SVN in the last couple weeks have had entirely cryptic descriptions and I have no real idea what's going on right now.

Anyway, if SVN + SVN plugins is bad, don't forget to try the option of using 0.9.6 with svn plugins, unless they've broken that option since I was doing it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm running a 64-bit Linux distro with an Athlon II X4. I'm pretty much screwed in getting this working at any playable speeds, aren't I?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lakitu7 posted:

Half the commits in SVN in the last couple weeks have had entirely cryptic descriptions and I have no real idea what's going on right now.

Anyway, if SVN + SVN plugins is bad, don't forget to try the option of using 0.9.6 with svn plugins, unless they've broken that option since I was doing it.

You can definitely do this. However the SVN plugins are sort of brokenish on my machine.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Attempting to see how this runs on my outdated PC and I'm having issues with the video not loading. I'm using the latest SVN Build linked in the OP and the default video plugin it selected was GSdx 2687 with the SSE2 and I've changed around and restarted under all the settings and nothing. I'm using a crappy GEforce 8300 gs which doesn't have dx10 support iirc so I've been trying in Direct3D9 as Direct3D10 just crashes the emulator if I try using that.

Anyone got any advice?

e: running vista without the emulator in program files and i've been running as admin.

baram. fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 12, 2010

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Just got the latest SVN compiled by Goyru and after updating my Nvida Drivers (Geforce 9600 GT on XP SP3) and DirectX 9.0C feb2010 I'm pleasantly surprised to see it actually work. I never got PCSX2 to run before but now it can run one game at 60 FPS (Mobile Suit Gundam - Federation vs. Zeon) and another at 30 FPS (Shadow of the Colossus). I need to do more tweaking I guess.

By the way, that gundam game is not mentioned on PCSX2.net but I found it to work fine.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Is there any way to copy my save files from my ps2 memory card to the PC so I don't have to grind back through a bajillion hours like on all my ps2 jrpgs?

Also for some reason my Phenom II x3 720 doesn't support SSE 3.01 or SSE 4.01 according to the plugin in the op :saddowns:

e: it supports SSE3 and SSE4a what is this garbage

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 13, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hung Yuri posted:

Is there any way to copy my save files from my ps2 memory card to the PC so I don't have to grind back through a bajillion hours like on all my ps2 jrpgs?

Also for some reason my Phenom II x3 720 doesn't support SSE 3.01 or SSE 4.01 according to the plugin in the op :saddowns:

SSE3 is not SSSE3. SSE4a is not SSE4.1.

PCSX2 doesn't use AMD-variant instructions. The team claims they have no use for them. As far as I can tell, no one else has tried to verify that claim, but that's beside the point.

Use SSE2 variants and get ready to overclock.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Hung Yuri posted:

Can your PS2 run unsigned code or is it modded? If so, you can set up an FTP system or copy your games to a flash drive using uLaunchElf. If not, you will have to find something like an action replay max.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

McGrady posted:

Can your PS2 run unsigned code or is it modded? If so, you can set up an FTP system or copy your games to a flash drive using uLaunchElf. If not, you will have to find something like an action replay max.

I'm probably going to have to get that action replay max. I've got a slim ps2 from when they were cheap (my fat ps2 laser died so i got a new one)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

McGrady posted:

I seem to remember a method of doing it using swap magic, which I think is cheaper than an action replay max.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

/edit:
Easy solution: Get Swapmagic, get a thumbdrive, get uLaunch. Copy the uLaunch homebrew into a folder called "SWAPMAGIC" (without quotes) on your thumbdrive root directory. rename the boot.elf file to "SWAPMAGIC.ELF".
Plug your USB drive into your PS2, start the Swapmagic disc and it should automatically boot uLaunch. You can now browse the contents of you PS2!

This is me, just one page back.

You can copy and PSUPaste your savegames onto your thumbdrive, then import them to PCSX2 via MyMC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HenryEx posted:

This is me, just one page back.

You can copy and PSUPaste your savegames onto your thumbdrive, then import them to PCSX2 via MyMC.

That method doesn't really work on all PS2s (didn't work on mine). I ran the title.db exploit for the longest time. When the memory card it was on died I had to redo the exploit starting with the title.db again because literally none of the other options worked for me. It was a huge pain in the rear end. :(

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Is there any way to speed up the FMVs and audio for Persona 3: FES?

Graphically it runs fine, but the audio is kind of slow (maybe 60-75% speed?) and cracks here and there.

This is my setup w/ default settings in the op:

Phenom II x3 720
4gb DDR26400
creative xtrememusic
radeon 4890 1gb

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hung Yuri posted:

Graphically it runs fine, but the audio is kind of slow (maybe 60-75% speed?) and cracks here and there.

Phenom II x3 720
4gb DDR26400
creative xtrememusic
radeon 4890 1gb

Tried using the Persona game fix in the emulation settings?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Tried that, still pretty slow.

I tried putting the audio driver to that other one and it runs "better" in that it runs faster more often, but also has more audio glitches and stuttering and popping.

I get like 35-60fps and right now in the beginning of FES in the school yard thing EE is at 90%-100%, GS is at like 20-25%, and UI is like at 0-1%

No idea what any of those are tho. Interlaced Field and limiter normal.

Just running a few programs, nothing very intensive. CPU is mostly around 50% on all three cores.

Persona 4 runs a bit better, but mostly the cutscenes play like poo poo (50-60% i guess speed?) and in game conversations run okay.

DiabetesGamer
Apr 13, 2008
cutscenes for those games generally only run like poo poo if you have speedhacks on

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Turned speedhacks off, barely runs any better.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Has anyone managed to get Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories working? After the cutscenes just after the Leon tutorial, it goes to the load screen and sits there forever, infinitely loading. Happened across all versions :(

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Running gsdx 2687 in dx9 mode instead of dx10, and changed sound to waveout on spu2 instead of xaudio 2 or directsound (doesn't want to work for me anyways, says it failed when I start the game)

Runs better now with minimal slowdowns, I can deal with graphics but dear god the sound was pissing me off :byodood:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hung Yuri posted:

Phenom II x3 720
4gb DDR26400
creative xtrememusic
radeon 4890 1gb

1) Are you using hardware or software rendering? (Actually, HW rendering will probably introduce a fair amount of video glitches.)

2) You may have no choice but to overclock. I mean, it's in the thread title. (Unless you have enough money to buy an otherwise unnecessary (for stuff that isn't PCSX2 or Armed Assault II or something) i5-750 setup.)

v v v Huh. I'd say that's kinda weird, but seemingly untraceable glitches are par for the course in relatively nascent emulators. You might try straying into some of the various PS2 emulation forums, if you haven't yet / recently, and see what they have to say about it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 15, 2010

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Hardware rendering. My CPU isn't being maxed out (only like 50%), but it works okay as long as I'm using Dx9HW instead of Dx10HW.

Dx10 looks better and has less graphical bugs (such as on Dx9, the carpet clipps through the floor when I change the camera angle, or shadows being wonky, but I can deal with that) but makes the audio all stuttery and slow so I just can't accept that.

Doing this on win7 x64 if that matters.

edit: just tried on the software versions ahhaha no thanks. Not bothering overclocking anything cause I'll have to buy all new coolers and it runs just fine w/ minor graphics glitches and minor to no slowdown.

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Munkaboo posted:

I'm running my God of War image and it says its running at 45 FPS but it's slow as gently caress. I tried disabling time stretching but there's no real difference. Any ideas? It's right at the intro where the rain starts. This is under DX9, DX10 crashes under the latest GS plugin. I've tried updating DX but it still doesn't launch under DX10.

Running 7 Ultimate, E8440, 4 gigs of RAM, Geforce 7950GT latest drivers and latest DX.

Re-posting, still no idea why DX10 crashes

• Locked thread