Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

When I'm setting controls with the LilyPad program that comes with it how do I disable the Ignore Keyboard setting in the Device Diagnostics, there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK
Gyoru thanks for the informative OP.

I have a question. It seems you have some japanese only ps2 games that are translated.

Does anyone know if there is an english patch for Uncharted Waters 4?

Doomay
Jan 16, 2008
Everytime I try and run any game on PCSX2 it crashes immediatly after I hit "Run CDCD" the game window pops up, turns black and windows gets an error and it crashes. Running windows 7, Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz. not much to go on, but any ideas?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doomay posted:

Everytime I try and run any game on PCSX2 it crashes immediatly after I hit "Run CDCD" the game window pops up, turns black and windows gets an error and it crashes. Running windows 7, Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz. not much to go on, but any ideas?

Does that mean you are running from the physical DVD? Don't do that, it doesn't work. You need to make a .iso of your game.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Comment by ramapcsx2, Apr 03 (2 days ago)
"Savestates on the other hand are very unstable at the moment, so yeah. :p"

Not related to any particular poster's problems here but perhaps this is something to be aware of while using recent builds.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
Well I'll be god damned, it's actually working.

Only problem I have is that I have to ctrl alt delete to get out the game I'm playing. Alt tabbing doesn't work and the keyboard doesn't respond while playing a game.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Pressing ESC should exit you out of the game window and back to the PCSX2 GUI

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
FF12 seems to be a popular game that people are using this for, is there a quick and dirty rundown on what the best plugin combination is?

I'm running a i7-930 and SLI GTX260s but when I wander into the desert I still see a lot of slowdown in seemingly random areas. In town is mostly fine.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Pressing ESC should exit you out of the game window and back to the PCSX2 GUI

What should I do if it doesn't do that?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Lothar posted:

Gyoru thanks for the informative OP.

I have a question. It seems you have some japanese only ps2 games that are translated.

Does anyone know if there is an english patch for Uncharted Waters 4?

You're more likely to see a DS translation of it before a PS2 one. And both are extremely unlikely :(

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Linux Nazi posted:

FF12 seems to be a popular game that people are using this for, is there a quick and dirty rundown on what the best plugin combination is?

I'm running a i7-930 and SLI GTX260s but when I wander into the desert I still see a lot of slowdown in seemingly random areas. In town is mostly fine.

GSDX + Speed Hacks are your friend.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone fixed ghosting with their Tales of Abyss? Like the lights at the Press Start screen will be ghosted, and I won't see it again until the flower field. Doing some searches, it looks like it's a bug from the bloom/brightness layer of GSDx. Reverting to an older version gets rid of it, but then the game is really dark (Using DX10, SSE4, 2693)

Going native resolution gets rid of it as well, but uh, I'd rather deal with a little ghosting than the native resolution :(

[e]Eh, looks like it's unsolvable. Just something you have to live with when it comes to scaling.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 10, 2010

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

New SVN Build - r2829
Full
Update
Remember you don't always have to use new builds because they might be unstable. Comb through my posts (click the ? under my avatar) if you need some of the older builds.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
What the devil are SVN builds and what do they do?

I only ask because the official site and Google are being incredibly cryptic about it.

Also, I finally got around to ripping my copies of Everblue and Wizardry and they're exhibiting a weird behavior - the image seems to vibrate up and down very quickly, almost blurring the image. I have no idea what this is all about, because Dragon Quest 5 is running fine with no graphical issues. Anybody experience anything similar?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

An SVN is a code repository. Basically it allows programmers to make changes to the code and it updates those changes in a single central build that all programmers share.

For us, it means that it's the most up-to-date version of the software possible, since the SVN is updated the second a developer makes a change. Gyoru takes the code every now and then, compiles it, and shares it with us. All you need to know is that the builds he shares are very recent beta versions, and should be the versions you use. You don't have to do anything special with it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
While later svn versions are generally better than earlier ones, at a global level, svn commits break things all the time and then fix them, so if you happen to try one where everything was broken, it won't work out very well. Releases and "beta" releases occur when the developers deem their work to be in a reasonable stable period. Unfortunately some projects go a long time between doing this, so people get to make guesses at stable revisions themselves.

For example, on this project, r2822 rewrote tons of poo poo, breaking tons of games:
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/detail?r=2822
then these, 2824 and 2828, reverted the changes the broke stuff temporarily
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/detail?r=2824
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/detail?r=2828

so if you got unlucky and tried to use revision 2822-2827 you'd have had a rather rough time, even though the end result at 2828 is much better than the current "beta" release (1888) which is from 09-19-2009, and future ones will be better still.

Gyoru can read the logs and try to take guesses at which versions sound stable but it's still just an educated guess and any of these builds could be terrible. Still, you should probably use them, and if it's terrible, go back one previous.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 12, 2010

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

grantsnx posted:

Has anyone gotten Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army to work well? I get 60fps in battles and most other places but when I'm in city areas with a bunch of people onscreen my framerate drops to less than 40. I've tried setting it to native resolution, disabling speedhacks, enabling speedhacks and nothing is really making a change. I did get about a 7 fps increase by changing clamping to None, but that's about it.

Has anyone had success with this? It wouldn't be too bad if you usually didn't have to run long distances in cities and have it take forever..

I have the same issue. The best I was able to do was enabling INTC spin detection, wait loop detection, the mVU flag hack, and setting EDC cycle rate and VU cycle stealing to 2. It claims to be running at 60FPS even on crowded streets but it's still got considerable slowdown. I just try to avoid taking the crowded streets whenever possible.

Shoryu Ken Masters
Feb 21, 2006

I've destroyed whole planets, so what chance has your club got?
Has anyone tried Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus yet? I've got everything running at 60 fps except for the Paris stage, though I hear that's a common issue. Just wondering if anyone has gotten that stage to stay at 60 FPS and what settings they used.

My specs just in case:
Intel Core i5 2.66ghz
4 gig ram
1 gig Radeon 4890
Windows 7 64 bit

I've also got Capcom vs SNK2 running but it's like the screen is vibrating vertically. Annoying but stays at full speed.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Shoryu Ken Masters posted:

I've also got Capcom vs SNK2 running but it's like the screen is vibrating vertically. Annoying but stays at full speed.

Try mashing F5 until it stops. It cycles through interlacing options

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Linux Nazi posted:

I actually noticed turning off Vysnc fixed my framerate issues. Apparently there are some things to work out with the Vsync and it's kind of buggy. I guess I can live with a faster framerate and screen tearing but it gets annoying.

Shoryu Ken Masters
Feb 21, 2006

I've destroyed whole planets, so what chance has your club got?

RichterIX posted:

Try mashing F5 until it stops. It cycles through interlacing options

Thanks that did the trick :)

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.
When I play Persona 4, I lose access to a lot of keyboard shortcuts--including really really useful ones, like save/load state and toggle framelimiter. Does anyone know why this would happen, or how to fix it? Whether or not I can switch the framelimiter on or not seems totally arbitrary, and sometimes it will happen long after I last pressed the key. Using r2829

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

With a bit of tweaking, I finally managed to get FF12 ZJS working well. For some odd reason, the frame rate was a bit crummy when using DX11. When moving back to DX9, everything was pretty fast.

I would make a couple suggestions over what was used for the screenshots in the OP. First, turn texture filtering on. I generally like this for most games, as it makes the text a lot less blocky.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

I would also suggest setting the aspect ratio under config->app_settings to 16:9 when playing. This will force it to keep the correct aspect ratio, even when fullscreen. The screenies in the OP are all 16:10.

The above screenshots were taken with 4x oversampling. My graphics options don't seem to have much of effect at all on framerate. I can set everything down low, and watch the FPS not really change. The only things which seem to matter are the speedhacks and my cpu speed. I guess I know what is limiting me.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I forgot to mention performance has went down since they went to DX11 on the GSdx plugin so use DX9 to get good performance.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Gyoru posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention performance has went down since they went to DX11 on the GSdx plugin so use DX9 to get good performance.

Huh, I'm sure they'll get it back up. DX10 used to be faster than DX9 for me.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
When they first made the change to DX11 they said it was in name only and nothing had actually been changed functionally. I don't know what's been changed since then but I also didn't notice anything relevant in the changelogs.

Speaking of the changelogs, they've been doing some really awesome stuff lately with all kinds of gamefixes.

Are you folks mostly using the legacy UI or the beta UI now? I haven't seen many UI-related commits lately so I'm not sure if the new one's stabilized yet.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I too notice a huge performance boost on dx9 compared to dx10 (can't do dx11, don't have a 5x card, only 4x) in that generally it was too slow but dx9 actually ran at an acceptable fps.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Linux Nazi posted:

You have a better machine than mine, and I am able to run FF12 pretty well, so I would assume you should be able to as well. I have an e8400 and an ATI 5770. The processor is years old at this point, and the video card is relatively new, but pretty low-end. Have the CPU moderately overclocked from 3 gHz to 3.3 gHz for a little extra boost.

There are only three things which effect my FPS. My current CPU speed, my speedhack settings, and whether or not I am using DX9 or DX11. DX11 gives me a big slowdown, so don't use it. The graphics settings don't seem to change my FPS much, so I am obviously CPU limited here.

These are the speedhack settings I am running it with. Yeah, the FMVs stutter, but eh, what can I do? If you can avoid putting the EE slider up so high, you might be able to fix that.

More screenshots from playing last night.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 21, 2010

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
What's the purpose of abandoning DX10 in the first place? I'm a little disappointed: my 4850X2 won't do DX11, so I've got to downgrade to DX9 now? :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/detail?r=2754

Here's where they did it, and the explanations as to why.

As far as I know, any slowdown in 11 versus 9 in 10 cards is not expected or known by the dev team. It's really quite possible that they don't know since really there are only a few people that regularly test svn builds, except for this thread. In their own community they entirely refuse to give support or allow anyone to provide any links to svn builds because they are considered suitable for developers and quasi-developers only.

If you guys do some concrete tests it may be wise to open up an issue
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/list
or catch one of the developers on irc to ask if that would be appropriate first

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 21, 2010

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone tried this on a netbook yet?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

casual poster posted:

Anyone tried this on a netbook yet?

:cawg:

Has more than enough trouble, sometimes even with overclocking, on anything other than an i5-750 or an i7 (MAYBE a dual-core i5 if you use nothing but hardware video plugins and current video cards), and you think it will work on a netbook!?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I'm holding out for the ipad app

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Hung Yuri posted:

I too notice a huge performance boost on dx9 compared to dx10 (can't do dx11, don't have a 5x card, only 4x) in that generally it was too slow but dx9 actually ran at an acceptable fps.

Terpfen posted:

What's the purpose of abandoning DX10 in the first place? I'm a little disappointed: my 4850X2 won't do DX11, so I've got to downgrade to DX9 now? :(

The DX11 runtime has support for all the way down to DX9 hardware.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Let me start by saying this is AMAZING, and thank you very much OP.

I noticed you have Odin Sphere amongst the screenshots. I have been playing it, and things are going okay, except for slowdown during certain points, namely when I bring the map up, or during certain boss fights.

IS this normal, or is there any way I can speed it up.

My cpu is an I5 2.66, I have a Radion HD 5850, and my settings are basically at what they came with.

Thank you

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That sounds pretty normal. Contrary to popular belief, the emulator can't improve the game's FPS performance beyond what's already capable on the console and Odin Sphere definitely had massive slowdown on the console. I can't quite remember if the map did, but the boss fights were definitely an exercise in massive FPS drops at times.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, Odin Sphere tanks like hell on the original console, so that's just faithful emulation.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
yeah I remember playing it on the console, and to me it slowed down, but it wasn't that noticeable until fighting Odette, when there was too much poo poo going on. Ah well, its not game breakingly bad, and only noticeable when I look for it. Thanks.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Why can't they? You'd think with all this processing power you'd be able to have enough oomph to be able to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hung Yuri posted:

Why can't they? You'd think with all this processing power you'd be able to have enough oomph to be able to deal with that.

If i remember correctly from anearlier discussion about stuff like this in SotC, the PS2 does not actually have a frame limiter. Which means it's the game itself that has slow-down in busy scenes "coded in" to guarantee fluid gameplay.
You'd basically have to reprogram every game in question individually, since the method of frame limiting implementation is left up to the developer of the game. THat's obviously far outside the project of emulating the PS2 hardware.

• Locked thread