Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

The artist himself was pretty badass too:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Eggn0g posted:

Also, are .gifs OK?

Sure! As long as they make you go "Sweet Jesus, that's awesome!"

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis

Cluricaun posted:

I never said that I admired the man's politics and attitudes, but it's hard to deny that he's a bad rear end. Dude was a member of the Outlaws MC, a country music star, was in a band with Dimebag from Pantera, and is so loving old and decrepit now that he has a beard with dreadlocks in it and he still performs. He's a foul and mean old racist, but there's still plenty of badassery there.

But I get what you mean, so allow me to redeem that one. I present...

GySgt. Carlos Hathcock. True badass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

I do believe his views on segregation and his hatred for the non-whites excludes him from being called bad-rear end.

I mean, Hitler brought Germany out of a recession and led them to be a superpower and then he amassed an army and CONQUERED poo poo!!! Isn't that bad-rear end?

see what I mean?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Fighting Jack Churchill (on the right, with sword) - the only British soldier to get a kill in World War 2 using a longbow, and the man quoted as saying In my opinion, sir, any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed.

http://www.wwiihistorymagazine.com/2005/july/col-profiles.html

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

apsouthern posted:

Fighting Jack Churchill (on the right, with sword) - the only British soldier to get a kill in World War 2 using a longbow, and the man quoted as saying In my opinion, sir, any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed.

THANK YOU. I had forgotten this guy's name and couldn't think of it for the life of me. Jack Churchill was a badass.

Does anyone remember that Crazy WWII Generals thread in GBS a while back? That was excellent.

mt1
Mar 5, 2007
As long as we're posting badass album covers:

Click here for the full 1024x1024 image.

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003

Abbeh posted:

My dad's the best.

So is my dad

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

OregonDonor posted:

Jack Churchill was a badass.

A bow. In World War 2.

His whole war history is full of badass moments.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

mt1 posted:

As long as we're posting badass album covers:

Click here for the full 1024x1024 image.

Doubles as one of the most badass songs ever written too.

Click here for the full 2048x1382 image.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Click for bigger.

Yea yea, Warcraft is boring/lame/ripoff. But of all the literature and media I've ingested, the Lich King stands out as one of the most awesome characters. It's due to everything that blizzard has built him up to be, his voice in the latest World of Warcraft expansion sealing the deal. He definitely was based off Sauron from lord of the rings, but sauron didn't have as well of a fleshed out backstory.

This image is badass cause this is the height of his reign, the height of everything in terms of power. He is a corpse sitting frozen in the arctic north of which is near devoid of life, reigning over an army of undead, mind controlled servants, holding the blade which contains the souls of everyone he has ever slayed, including friends and family. Even the millenia old demon lords who created him fear him. It is the purest manifestation of greed and corruption overtaking one's personality, soul, and heart.

TLDR: There's skulls and it he's in a badass pose.

Charles 1998 has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Jul 3, 2010

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
^Checked the trailer on YouTube, and yeah, he's pretty badass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkjElwswbx4

If the Diablo 3 cinematics are anything like this, they're going to be awesome! :supaburn:

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

A bow. In World War 2.

His whole war history is full of badass moments.

Didn't he actually get pissed when the war ended, because that meant he had no more Nazi's to kill?

Guy woulda been a great Inglorious Basterd.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Psh, my dad is clearly the most bad rear end

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Jack the Smack posted:

He definitely was based off Sauron from lord of the rings, but sauron didn't have as well of a fleshed out backstory.

Someone didnt read Silmarillion or other books.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

itrorev posted:

Didn't he actually get pissed when the war ended, because that meant he had no more Nazi's to kill?

Guy woulda been a great Inglorious Basterd.

He complained that because the Americans joined in, it deprived him of another ten years of fighting.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

itrorev posted:

I don't know about that.

But as for Mad Jack after the war, I'm pretty sure he was the guy who when riding the train home from work would stand up everyday and throw his briefcase out the window.

Because it would then land in his backyard.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Dan Didio posted:

I don't know about that.

But as for Mad Jack after the war, I'm pretty sure he was the guy who when riding the train home from work would stand up everyday and throw his briefcase out the window.

Because it would then land in his backyard.

Really the whole article is worth a read, but here's an excerpt

quote:

Churchill himself was far in front of his troopers. Sword in hand, accompanied only by a corporal named Ruffell, he advanced into the town itself. Undiscovered by the enemy, he and Ruffell heard German soldiers digging in all around them in the gloom. The glow of a cigarette in the darkness told them the location of a German sentry post. What followed, even Churchill later admitted, was a bit Errol Flynn-ish.

The first German sentry post, manned by two men, was taken in silence. Churchill, his sword blade gleaming in the night, appeared like a demon from the darkness, ordered haende hoch! and got results. He gave one German prisoner to Ruffell, then slipped his revolver lanyard around the second sentrys neck and led him off to make the rounds of the other guards. Each post, lulled into a sense of security by the voice of their captive comrade, surrendered to this fearsome apparition with the ferocious mustache and the naked sword.

Altogether, Churchill and Corporal Ruffell collected 42 prisoners, complete with their personal weapons and a mortar they were manning in the village. Churchill and his claymore took the surrender of ten men in a bunch around the mortar. He and his NCO then marched the whole lot back into the British lines.

As Churchill himself described the event, it all sounded rather routine: I always bring my prisoners back with their weapons; it weighs them down. I just took their rifle bolts out and put them in a sack, which one of the prisoners carried. [They] also carried the mortar and all the bombs they could carry and also pulled a farm cart with five wounded in it.I maintain that, as long as you tell a German loudly and clearly what to do, if you are senior to him he will cry jawohl and get on with it enthusiastically and efficiently whatever the situation. Thats why they make such marvelous soldiers...

Anyway, I always liked this picture: guy gets his arm bitten off by shark, gets his stump tattooed

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

d3c0y2 posted:

Someone didnt read Silmarillion or other books.

Yeah the lotr nerd in me raged against that, too, but I wasn't going to say anything. Though, I haven't read them either.

Doedipus
Nov 21, 2006

Doeder than Doed.

Real Life posted:

It's tough to post pokemon in this thread, but for posterity this is a much more badass picture of Giovanni.

Click here for the full 1186x1684 image.

Don't forget about the rest of it! The Snorlax is horrifying.

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

Keso.Xorganoff
Apr 18, 2010

by T. Finn
One bad-rear end cop

Soldier got hit by an AK-47 and his iPod saved his life,thats pretty bad-rear end if you ask me.

If there was one animal I would never keep as a pet, this would be it.

This will give you a bad-rear end (I've got the whole set if anybody wants it) :keke:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Keso.Xorganoff posted:

Soldier got hit by an AK-47 and his iPod saved his life,thats pretty bad-rear end if you ask me.

Can I get some more info on this? It doesn't look like it got hit with an AK. Looks more like 9mm or another pistol cartridge.

Content:

Keso.Xorganoff
Apr 18, 2010

by T. Finn

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Can I get some more info on this? It doesn't look like it got hit with an AK. Looks more like 9mm or another pistol cartridge.

Content:

Well I forget to say that he was also wearing a kevlar-west. I'll try to find more info. `^^

EDIT: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/ipod-takes-bullet-for-soldier/

Keso.Xorganoff has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Jul 4, 2010

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Not to mention it went through the ipod.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
I'm getting the feeling that was more of a case of "Kevlar Vest and/or Pure Luck saves soldiers life, ipod tragically dies."

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Keso.Xorganoff posted:

I AM CALLED VOLTRON

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

OregonDonor posted:

I AM CALLED VOLTRON

Dude looks more like he's called Le Voltrn

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Keso.Xorganoff posted:

This will give you a bad-rear end (I've got the whole set if anybody wants it) :keke:

YES! It's terrifying and I will probably be a bit wary going to the bathroom for the next week or so, but poo poo YES.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Okay so we've got page after page of soldiers and heroes and all that stuff that people usually associate with being a badass, but what about an actual, honest to god mad scientist?

His name is Joe Davis.

(There are plenty of pictures of him and his works in the articles below, but most were low resolution so I didn't figure it would be worth posting them here)

Gizmodo article about him and his current plans

Scientific American article

One more link of stuff

Just to get an idea of what this guy's about, this was how he got to MIT:

quote:

- Expelled from three high schools and two colleges: for writing about atheism, refusing a haircut, making a still (which exploded), being elected student body president on a "free marijuana" platform and working on an underground anti-war newspaper.
- Walked into the M.I.T. Center for Advanced Visual Studies uninvited in 1982. Secretary called the cops. Forty-five minutes later, Davis walked out with an appointment as a research fellow.

As the cracked.com article about him put it, he's beamed pussy at aliens. Why? Because gently caress Carl Sagan, that's why:

quote:

Davis put together the vagina compilation to protest Carl Sagan and Frank Drake's curious (and arguably sexist) omission of female genitalia from the images included in the famous Arecibo message, a signal beamed toward the Great Cluster in 1974, and the Pioneer and Voyager plaques

In response, Davis recorded the vaginal contractions of the Boston Ballet (dont ask how), translated them into the 46 phonemes of English speech and beamed the sounds toward Tau Ceti, Epsilon Eridani, and two other nearby star systems using commandeered radar equipment at MIT.

"People censored all the messages transmitted to extraterrestrials; scientists removed external female genitalia from the messages we sent into space, Davis told me. We had textbook female anatomy systematically removed from the record, from [Voyager and Pioneers] plaquesit was insane. It was so man and Barbie doll. So I put together a project to transmit these vaginal contractions to nearby sun-like stars.

Called the Poetica Vaginal, the message was broadcast for more than 20 minutes before the US Air Force noticed and shut it down. Thats a full 17 minutes longer than Sagan managed at Arecibo with his more sanctioned stick-figure representation of humanity.

He wants to build a memorial to Hurricane Katrina that is, essentially, a tower shooting a giant ultraviolet laser into the sky, that's powered by lightning:

Cracked.com article posted:

One of his latest projects is a memorial for victims of Hurricane Katrina. So is it a tasteful monument to the fallen done up in quiet dignity? A touching sculpture abstractly representing bravery and grief? Does that sound like the kind of hippy bullshit the man who fires pussy at aliens would go for? No! He's building a 10-story tall tower in Mississippi that harnesses the excess molecular nitrogen in the air brought on by lightning storms and fires it back into the storm in the form of a giant laser. The laser, of course, has no tangible effects. It doesn't break up the storm, or signal a warning, or even gather information. It just takes a drunken rage-swing at nature every time it rains.

Of course the laser does have some tangible effects that Davis has considered it could be used for once built:

quote:

Sadly the laser emission is ultraviolet, and therefore invisible to the naked eye. However, if the laser grew enough in intensity, it could be used to push solar sails beyond the inner solar system. The sun on its own just isn't strong enough, Davis said, proposing that the solar sail concept be renamed light sails. Davis doesnt stop there: It might even be able to help deflect asteroids. And because it is using coherent radiation, and is more powerful than the solar output at that same frequency, it is also ideal for optical SETI as a beacon. It could be used for communicating with extraterrestrials. For that I would have to get FAA permits, of course.

He also commissioned the creation of a few fish hooks, 25 microns long, so he could use them to hook paramecium, because, in his words,"It's only sporting.":

quote:

There's also the 25-micron fishhook he created to catch one-celled organisms with full-size deep sea fishing gear. In a taped video segment of an interview on ABCs Nightline in 2001, Davis outfitted a deep-sea fishing rod with the ultra diminutive hook, connected it to a custom amplifier that made a paramecium feel like a marlin and had an ABC correspondent go fishing. The reporter soon got one on the line, and the servos in the amplifier gave him the tug of his life. I had to remind myself that a single-celled organism was making the guy sweat, and not a 500-lb. fish. The paramecium actually won the battleDavis had to turn off the machine.

He's done all of this despite having to finagle his knowledge of molecular biology and genetics out of fellow scientists at other institutions, not in a classroom:

quote:

It was about 15 years ago that Davis first realized that genetic engineering was creating a rich new medium for art--life itself. He convinced molecular biologists at Harvard Medical School and the University of California, Berkeley to teach him how to synthesize DNA and insert it into the genomes of living bacteria. That took some persistence: "In the beginning scientists were not comfortable talking to me," Davis recalls. "It took a while for them to trust me with their secrets." That is probably a good thing, he admits. "I still come up with ideas that are dangerous and don't realize that they are dangerous. For example there is a 200-mer [a sequence of 200 amino acids] that folds into a highly geometric capsule. I had this idea of creating Kepler's nested polyhedra [once thought to define the planetary orbits] in these viral capsids." Fortunately, Davis ran the idea by one of his genetics mentors first. "He pointed out that I could inadvertently create a supervirus."

And to top it all off, he's got a loving peg leg. So he's not only a mad scientist, but part pirate as well (and part of the reason he wants to call the hurricane tower "Call Me Ishmael"):

quote:

His "peg leg" was not necessarily the result of an act of God. According to some, Davis lost his leg in a motorcycle accident in Mississippi, but he himself won't talk about it, unless you count where he's said the artificial limb was good for picking up dance partners at local bars.

Did I mention they also made a movie about him?

http://www.joedavisthemovie.com/

RedneckwithGuns has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jul 4, 2010

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Okay so we've got page after page of soldiers and heroes and all that stuff that people usually associate with being a badass, but what about an actual, honest to god mad scientist?

His name is Joe Davis.

I have a new role model. thank you.

Keso.Xorganoff
Apr 18, 2010

by T. Finn

Bodnoirbabe posted:

YES! It's terrifying and I will probably be a bit wary going to the bathroom for the next week or so, but poo poo YES.

Don't have much info, but one source says that this is an Arabian Cobra that took up residence near some nice cool water in someones bathroom in Iraq.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Keso.Xorganoff posted:

That's not bad-rear end, its bad-asp

:downsrim:

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

ASL NIGGA posted:

I do believe his views on segregation and his hatred for the non-whites excludes him from being called bad-rear end.

I mean, Hitler brought Germany out of a recession and led them to be a superpower and then he amassed an army and CONQUERED poo poo!!! Isn't that bad-rear end?

see what I mean?

hitler is totally badass what are you talking about

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Keso.Xorganoff posted:

This would have been my reaction as well. :colbert:

a bunch of ants
Jan 21, 2009

Wanna be professional criminals with me?

Click here for the full 990x618 image.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Click here for the full 432x648 image.

I'm seeing a lot of survival TV shows on the Discovery channel nowadays. That's all well and good, but I believe this man started the trend, and unlike his copycats, he actually survived alone while filming the whole thing.

Surviving for a week in some inhospitable places, while filming it to boot makes this guy a true bad rear end in my book.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keso.Xorganoff posted:

Please tell me that giant thing in the background is a sub woofer.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Landerig posted:

Click here for the full 432x648 image.

I'm seeing a lot of survival TV shows on the Discovery channel nowadays. That's all well and good, but I believe this man started the trend, and unlike his copycats, he actually survived alone while filming the whole thing.

Surviving for a week in some inhospitable places, while filming it to boot makes this guy a true bad rear end in my book.

*5th day alone*

"so remember that half eaten fish i found lying on a rock in the sun on my first day. I'm really hungry"

*eats fish, assumes he won't die*
*doesn't.*

Yeah, Survivor Man is a badass.

logical
Nov 16, 2009

Click here for the full 717x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

OregonDonor posted:

Random trivia fact: Andy Warhol's original design for this album had to be reworked because the zipper on the trousers (which actually worked and 'unzipped' the trousers on the cover) was causing physical damage to the vinyl record inside. They had to 'unzip' it slightly to the middle of the record in order to minimise damage.

On topic, here's Terry Butcher:

He got his head gashed open early on during a World Cup qualifying match against Sweden, got stitched up and bandaged on the touchline, and kept on heading the ball* which opened his injury back up and caused his shirt to be drenched in blood as seen above. We got the draw that we needed and this is, for many fans, Butcher's most famous moment as a player.

Seriously, just LOOK at him.

*He was a central defender, this was unavoidable.

I may have cribbed parts of this post from Wikipedia.

• Locked thread