Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

Secretariat, motherfuckers.

Behold the official finish line photo of the 1973 Belmont Stakes, in which he set a world record for the mile and a half which still stands. When he won the Kentucky Derby earlier that year, each quarter-mile split was faster than the one before it -- that's right, even at the end of the race he was still accelerating.

Also Secretariat

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

See if we can derail this derail.

Ip Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzC96R27eYU
If you haven't seen the movie, you should.

But hey, he was a real person.

He had many disciples, but one in particular stands out.

Some chump named Bruce Lee.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Extremely old school, people call them Inuit, Eskimo, Yup'ik sunglasses, they're designed to reduce glare from snow on sunny days, oldest pair found is roughly 6000 years old.

Is that one made of bone? Those are pretty cool. I might try and find me a pair for work.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

Literally the whitest rapper (he is an albino, mostly blind white dude from Minnesota), Brother Ali.

He's pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxUQ07NXB4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO18F4aKGzQ

Don't forget to mention he's Muslim and LEGALLY blind. He's the best thing Rhymesayers has to offer, and they can offer a LOT.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Scarf posted:

It's not Sepultura w/o Max :colbert:

If we're gonna talk about a guy that plays BC Rich, let's talk about Chuck Schuldiner.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Edminster posted:

I was just at the Air and Space museum a few weeks ago and I didn't see it there, which is too bad. Looking at some of the pictures I took, it was there, I just missed it. There are a lot of tiny planes there.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

His name is Igor Vovkovinskiy, currently America's tallest man (hailing from the Ukraine)

Yes, that's an actual full-size (not toy model) Porsche 911.

I can only imagine the physical maladies that come with being that size. That said, what's with the shoes?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No More Heroes posted:

For the day when I fuckin snap!

The gun is definitely badass. If you can carry the gun and the power source needed to spin the barrels, and not get blown back by the recoil, then YOU will be badass.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

He's just trying to rescue his shark buddy from the evil fishermen.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

The moonlight on the clouds is especially cool. Where/what is this monument to bad-assery?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

^^^I'm no bear expert, but April doesn't seem too early for a bear to wake up.

That is some poo poo luck there. Boiled by a hot spring it probably slipped into, chased by a grizzly that probably just finished hibernating, and then shot to death (mercifully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

I saw the shuttle they keep at the Udvar-Hazy (Discovery I think?) and I was surprised at how big that things was.
edit: Found the pictures I took. It's the Enterprise it turns out.

I was also surprised at how small the SR-71 was. It's pretty bad-rear end nonetheless.

Looking at this picture reminds me of the day we went there. See that old guy in the wheelcahir? That's my grandfather. I'll spare you my boring family history, but this is the first time I ever met him. He was 92 in the picture, and he passed away last summer.

Now, I knew he was a pilot, and he served in WW2, but I had no idea what a bad-rear end he was until we went to the museum. I was pushing him around, looking at the planes, and he knew his stuff, though he was pretty quiet. These three men in suits walk by, (with the IDs on their lanyards I figured them for curators or something), and this old guy I'm pushing around complains to them how there is no B-17 here. They stop, big smiles on their faces, and they ask him his name and if he flew one. He responds "Yes sir, Major Martin Fallon, 8th Air Force, 96th (I think) Squadron." This meant nothing to me, so I'm half paying attention, but the guys in the suits went wide eyed. One asks "Oh, you flew on D-Day?". My grandfather confirmed. This got my attention. They went on for about another ten minutes, the three men pummeling the old guy with questions which he was all to happy to answer. I understood basically none of it, but it was awesome to hear him tell the story about flying over the English Channel, looking at all the boats underneath him while thinking about how he always wanted to play for the Red Sox, but at that moment he had more important things to do.

Later on that day he told me a little about bombing raids. After a German fighter ran out of ammo, the German pilot would fly up along side my grandfather's B-17, they'd salute each other and go their separate ways.

oh dope has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Feb 8, 2014

• Locked thread