Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I'm hesitant to say this, but Prelude is actually turning to be...well, not bad. The first issue did nothing for me but the second was drat funny, and against all odds Dogpool made me laugh out loud at Dogs should be cute! and I say we call him Badger! I will admit I'm a sucker for the silliness of Deadpool, when played well, and was also amused by the deadpan Hit Monkey, so take it for what you will. I came very close to avoiding this series due to Liefeld's involvement and the bad taste left by MWAM, but I think I'm hesitantly going to put the money down and see where it goes.

Also, is that Rusty Venture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

I actually enjoyed both MWAM and Prelude to DPC this week.

In MWAM I loved that he just wanted to stay in the Zombieverse science place because he had video games, snacks, and a hot scientist who was actually into him, but the voices in his head wouldn't shut up until he "did the right thing".

Prelude was okay too. I liked the first two but really thought THIS would be the issue that made it obvious it should be avoided, but it's like the series isn't even trying to be serious, and that's actually somehow a good thing. Wolverine/Badger/Dog pulling out the claws made me laugh pretty hard because it was so ridiculous.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

Things might be slowing down. Soon we'll be down to 3 Deadpool ongoings, axing Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...rticle&id=25338 (Spoilers in descriptions).

I guess it makes sense if they're going to use Headpool in this Corps series. Rather see Corps go away of course though.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

IUG posted:

Things might be slowing down. Soon we'll be down to 3 Deadpool ongoings, axing Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...rticle&id=25338 (Spoilers in descriptions).

I guess it makes sense if they're going to use Headpool in this Corps series. Rather see Corps go away of course though.

But they're start a new miniseries at the same time? Wade Wilson's War?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

I can deal with a 4 issue mini. I just got a friend into Deadpool and that would be a good way for him to go. I've been fighting him off from getting Deadpool Corps just because it's new and he can get it from the start, and got him into the main ongoing.

TheJoker138
Jan 1, 2008

The Clown Prince
of Crime

The four issue mini also seems to be less Deadpool and more "here's a bunch of unanswered questions about what he was like before he was Deadpool, finally explained."

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Here's a quick analysis of Deadpool and his falling sales numbers:

http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2010/0...sales-data.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

The four issue mini also seems to be less Deadpool and more "here's a bunch of unanswered questions about what he was like before he was Deadpool, finally explained."

I realize he's not as popular as Wolverine but considering the hype behind Wolverine's real story finally being told you'd think they'd put more effort into making you realize how important this is, to know Wade's truth.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I'm not certain it is 'Wade's truth' in the sense of his full back story, unless there's some publicity about the mini that I've missed. I get the impression it's more of a 'here's a bunch of established facts drawn from the old series so you don't have to go back and read it all yourselves', making it a little easier on the new readers. At least I hope that's the case. One of my favourite aspects of the character is the ambiguity of his back story, letting the reader make up their mind whether he's a good guy gone wrong or just fundamentally a piece of poo poo with illusions of self improvement.

Look at T-Ray - love or hate the character, the idea of a recurring antagonist fighting Deadpool for his own identity was great. Never knowing exactly who you're rooting for under the mask is great. The fact writers have complete freedom to add to or twist up his background whenever they like and then blame it all on his insanity is...well, it's led some disappointing places, but in theory it's still great. Maybe it's too much to wish for subtlety, but I at least wish they would stop trying to retcon the garbled mess of his back story and just run with it because for once it makes sense.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

Tato posted:

Here's a quick analysis of Deadpool and his falling sales numbers:

http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2010/0...sales-data.html
I feel like this article's trying to imply that it's unusual for a series to have declining sales, when it's not. While yes, sales have dropped, all of Deadpool's series are still selling at or above 30k, sales numbers that books like SWORD, Doctor Voodoo, Punisher/Punisher MAX, and several other canceled or rapidly declining books would love to have. Heck, when you compare Deadpool Team-Up to the last several failed anthology titles Marvel's tried to launch, you'll see that even it, the weakest of three Deadpool books, is actually performing pretty well for what it is.

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

IUG posted:

It's surprising how everyone posting on that site hates Way's Deadpool, when I think it's easily the best current title he has.
Also, the charts look grim, but the main title looks to be selling a good bit over 40k still. It makes sense, considering it launched with an event tie-in and could never possibly hope to live up to the sales of a first-arc/event tie-in combo.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

What issue/series/whatever did Loki curse Deadpool into knowing that he's a comic character? I'd actually really like to read that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I actually REALLY like Way's Deadpool. I particularly enjoyed the battle vs Bullseye, and liked his deal vs the Thunderbolts more than some around here.

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually REALLY like Way's Deadpool. I particularly enjoyed the battle vs Bullseye, and liked his deal vs the Thunderbolts more than some around here.
Yeah, honestly, that Bullseye arc instantly goes into my mental list of classic arcs for a character. That very short story fleshed out the relationship the two characters have in a hilarious, heartfelt way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Agreed, although as a fan of Bullseye, I may be a little biased. I've seriously considered being Bullseye for Halloween more than once.

TheJoker138
Jan 1, 2008

The Clown Prince
of Crime

Myrddin Emrys posted:

What issue/series/whatever did Loki curse Deadpool into knowing that he's a comic character? I'd actually really like to read that.

I don't think this ever happened. The first real mention of him knowing he's a comic character was just in some random issue of his original ongoing series when Bullseye goes "Wade, good to see you. How long has it been?" and his reply is "Rome, issue 19."

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

Yea, Loki never did anything like that to Deadpool. He did curse Deadpool to having a sexy Tom Cruise face, which kinda pissed him off.

I don't remember specifically what issue the whole Loki bit happened, but it was the beginning of Priest's run.

I uh, can't in good conscience recommend Priest's run, by the way. By the time Deadpool got launched into space I had to stop reading for a few issues.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Oh, I could swear I read somewhere that his fourth-wall breaking was due to a Loki curse. Weird.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

ChairMaster posted:

Yea, Loki never did anything like that to Deadpool. He did curse Deadpool to having a sexy Tom Cruise face, which kinda pissed him off.

Thom Cruz!

This was around the time he was hanging out with...I forget who. It was a woman in green, and I think Constrictor.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Better than expected.

Matlock posted:

Thom Cruz!

This was around the time he was hanging out with...I forget who. It was a woman in green, and I think Constrictor.

It was Titania (sort of) and the Constrictor, basically playing a super-powered Elaine Benes and George Costanza.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wait, then who was Jerry? Because we all know Wade's Kramer.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Wow, I really loved that issue of Deadpool. Spider-Man calling him out at the end made me realy feel for Wade, which is unusual for Deadpool these days.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

ChairMaster posted:

I don't remember specifically what issue the whole Loki bit happened, but it was the beginning of Priest's run.

I uh, can't in good conscience recommend Priest's run, by the way. By the time Deadpool got launched into space I had to stop reading for a few issues.

Loki also gave him a faux Mjlnor, giving us a few wonderful pages of Thorpool.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

ChuckDHead posted:

It was Titania (sort of) and the Constrictor, basically playing a super-powered Elaine Benes and George Costanza.

I remember she kept getting ticked she was confused for someone else, who was that?

TheJoker138
Jan 1, 2008

The Clown Prince
of Crime

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Wow, I really loved that issue of Deadpool. Spider-Man calling him out at the end made me realy feel for Wade, which is unusual for Deadpool these days.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Way's series is the only one that's hitting every level of what Deadpool is about. It's got the wacky fun time comedy stuff, and the pathos. He's a clown, but he's also deeply hosed up in a lot of serious ways, and the driving force behind his character is that he wants more than anything for people to like him but, as this issue said, being a hero and being loved for being a hero aren't the same thing.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Better than expected.

Matlock posted:

I remember she kept getting ticked she was confused for someone else, who was that?

Some other alias she'd been using before that, I think?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TheJoker138 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Way's series is the only one that's hitting every level of what Deadpool is about. It's got the wacky fun time comedy stuff, and the pathos. He's a clown, but he's also deeply hosed up in a lot of serious ways, and the driving force behind his character is that he wants more than anything for people to like him but, as this issue said, being a hero and being loved for being a hero aren't the same thing.

Yeah, and the fact that Deadpool wants it to be true made me sad for both him AND Spider-Man. Spider-Man just seems hardened against it (which is weird because I don't typically think of Spider-Man as being particularly jaded, but now that I think about it...).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

I just want Deadpool to buy Spider-Man a Spider-Cave right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

And a new Spider-Mobile. Pete could use a break, the Gauntlet is really kicking the Parker luck into overdrive.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Well. I don't see any problem with anyone saying that Prelude to Deadpool Corps #5 is one of the worst Deadpool issues in existence. Holy poo poo, Kyle Baker. What happened to you?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Some things you can't
put into words, man.

Gavok posted:

Well. I don't see any problem with anyone saying that Prelude to Deadpool Corps #5 is one of the worst Deadpool issues in existence. Holy poo poo, Kyle Baker. What happened to you?

Agreed. A few people here defend him and claim they like his new style. It's dreadful to look at.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

Somehow this comment makes me more interested in reading that issue than all the positive stuff made me interested about the prior issues.

What was so bad about it?

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

I haven't grabbed it yet, but my guess is it has a lot to do with Kyle Baker being one of the worst artists working in comics right now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Brother Entropy posted:

Somehow this comment makes me more interested in reading that issue than all the positive stuff made me interested about the prior issues.

What was so bad about it?

I don't know if you've read the Merc with a Mouth issue from a few months back where various artists drew different pages. Baker did the stuff with Sgt. Deadpool, where instead of drawing with his fun (if wonky) art style, he did it in Poser. It was pretty ugly, but not too, too, TOO awful because of the characters involved. I mean, by wearing a full body suit and having no facial features, Deadpool is a dynamic design that looks passable in CGI style. Plus it was only a handful of pages. Still, it made Liefeld look good and I say that with complete seriousness.

This is an entire issue of Baker using his Poser style on various Deadpools in space. Textures look like barf. Filters look worse. Humanoid characters look like unfinished action figures. Deadpool and Lady Deadpool are almost impossible to tell apart during action sequences. There's a part where Dogpool survives an explosion and to show how damaged he is, Baker seems to just make part of him transparent.

The entire thing looks like if someone took the cutscenes from a Sega Saturn game, took snapshots of the TV screen, pasted them together to form some kind of narrative and added word bubbles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

On the plus side, that means Liefeld's pencils on Corps next week will be a welcome reprieve.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

That Poser issue of MWAM got me to drop my sub. That was ridiculously awful.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

I was really dismayed when, after reading Kyle Baker's indie book Special Forces, it suddenly switched to the terrible CGI style. Really, I don't know which editor thinks that poo poo looks good, but it really, really doesn't.

The worst thing is that Baker's old bouncy, cartoony style would be perfect for a humor book like Deadpool. His Plastic Man is still one of my favorite runs of a humor comic.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Better than expected.

There was some War Machine comic made in Poser or something that was both so lazy and poo poo-looking that it made me think that tracing was actually preferable to Poser in comics. I think I'd take Land over some Poser-using guy any day.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

^^^U.S. War Machine. It sorta worked in the first series that was black and white and with the CGI only used on the armor, but the second series was grotesque.

Gavok posted:

I don't know if you've read the Merc with a Mouth issue from a few months back where various artists drew different pages. Baker did the stuff with Sgt. Deadpool, where instead of drawing with his fun (if wonky) art style, he did it in Poser. It was pretty ugly, but not too, too, TOO awful because of the characters involved. I mean, by wearing a full body suit and having no facial features, Deadpool is a dynamic design that looks passable in CGI style. Plus it was only a handful of pages. Still, it made Liefeld look good and I say that with complete seriousness.

This is an entire issue of Baker using his Poser style on various Deadpools in space. Textures look like barf. Filters look worse. Humanoid characters look like unfinished action figures. Deadpool and Lady Deadpool are almost impossible to tell apart during action sequences. There's a part where Dogpool survives an explosion and to show how damaged he is, Baker seems to just make part of him transparent.

The entire thing looks like if someone took the cutscenes from a Sega Saturn game, took snapshots of the TV screen, pasted them together to form some kind of narrative and added word bubbles.

This. The art and writing got better with each issue of Prelude; I was really starting to like it, then... Bam! They end with worse art than they started with.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2010 around 23:34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

subs so fast you'll freak

Anybody mind scanning a couple pages or something? I'm interested in seeing how awful this is without having to actually pay for it.

«36 »