Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
tronik
Oct 21, 2008

I recently found myself needing to ship a package across the country next day. FedEx was going to charge me ~$50 for next day service and ~$70 for next day w/ Saturday delivery (I was shipping on a Friday). I needed it there quick but I didn't want to spend nearly that much, so I log on to my USPS account and find that they can have it there next day via Express mail for $27 and change . I print out the label, drop it off at the post office, and sure enough the package gets there the following day.

So I go to check my mail today and find one of those USPS slips saying that I underpaid by $14.74 on that package. Sure they are probably right since I pretty much guesstimated how much the box weighed. I've done it before many times, both with FedEx and USPS, without any kind of issue. The slip basically just tells me to go to the post office to pay, but other than that it doesn't explicitly say WHEN the balance is due or what will happen if I don't pay it. Am I obligated to pay this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Just pay the $14 and move on with your life.

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just pay the $14 and move on with your life.

I have no problem paying it, $14 isn't going to break the bank for me. I'm just wondering what will happen if I don't pay it.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Well if you have an account, they will flag it and collect from your card on record, plus penalties?

poofactory
May 5, 2003

by T. Finn

I had a client mail something in my firm's name and it came back to us with postage due. I don't remember how much it was but I think it has been over 6 months and we never paid it. We mail stuff through usps all the time as well.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories.

tronik posted:

I have no problem paying it, $14 isn't going to break the bank for me. I'm just wondering what will happen if I don't pay it.

You mysteriously disappear one night never to be heard from again.

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

poofactory posted:

I had a client mail something in my firm's name and it came back to us with postage due. I don't remember how much it was but I think it has been over 6 months and we never paid it. We mail stuff through usps all the time as well.

Ordinarily I would have thought they'd hold or return the package until I paid proper postage, but they delivered it anyway. Their loss I guess.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I went to the doctor and they fixed me up and sent me the bill later. Suckers!

Two Kings
Oct 31, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

I wouldn't mess with the post office. When you control the mail, you control .... information!

Failboat
Mar 11, 2009

There are Postal police. No Joke. They have guns and badges and everything.

One would hope there is better things for them to do than collect 14 bucks.

Also; postal workers are tough. Don't screw with them. My mom, grandpa, and grandpa are tough as nails and all worked/ work for the USPS. They have never gone postal on anyone as far as I know.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The post office could have returned the package to you for insufficient postage. But, they were nice and delivered it for you anyway because it was urgent. They did you a favor. Why are you even considering loving them over for it? Just because you can probably get away with it? Don't be an rear end in a top hat and gently caress over people who did you a favor.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EBT posted:

Well if you have an account, they will flag it and collect from your card on record, plus penalties?

Also - they have people that come to your house EVERY DAY, regardless of whether you owe them money or not, they come. EVERY DAY. And you're thinking about messing with them? ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!?!

Deathcake
Nov 16, 2009

get UPI!

tronik posted:

I pretty much guesstimated how much the box weighed.

Why would you guess? Most post offices have machines in the lobby where you can weigh the package and print off postage right there. It's a pretty big risk in guessing the weight since you can underpay or OVERpay. Either way, you're risking either getting the package returned to you, or paying more than you need.

As Inferior said, they did you a favor. Pay the $14 and invest in a home package scale.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Failboat posted:

There are Postal police. No Joke. They have guns and badges and everything.
Postal Police are hardcore. No joking, they can be scarier than the FBI.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

JD Brickmeister posted:

Also - they have people that come to your house EVERY DAY, regardless of whether you owe them money or not, they come. EVERY DAY. And you're thinking about messing with them? ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!?!

They know where you live, how much you owe, they are an agency of the US government...

Yeah, I'd not want to gently caress the postman over.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

Don't go out of your way to pay it unless they start pestering you.

Mucilaginous
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

tronik posted:

Ordinarily I would have thought they'd hold or return the package until I paid proper postage, but they delivered it anyway. Their loss I guess.

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Don't go out of your way to pay it unless they start pestering you.

Yeah, personal responsibility and paying what you owe are just outdated concepts.

Stick it to the MAN! WHOO!

Pay the drat $14. Like others have said, they did you a favor and delivered it. Why cheat them out of what you owe them?

EDIT: They will get their money. They'll just keep putting notices in your mailbox, and eventually they'll probably tack on fines/additional fees. Do you need the $14 that badly? Is it THAT much of an inconvenience? Do you live like 100 miles from the nearest post office?

Mucilaginous fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2010 around 13:52

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

tronik posted:

I recently found myself needing to ship a package across the country next day. FedEx was going to charge me ~$50 for next day service and ~$70 for next day w/ Saturday delivery (I was shipping on a Friday). I needed it there quick but I didn't want to spend nearly that much, so I log on to my USPS account and find that they can have it there next day via Express mail for $27 and change . I print out the label, drop it off at the post office, and sure enough the package gets there the following day.

So I go to check my mail today and find one of those USPS slips saying that I underpaid by $14.74 on that package. Sure they are probably right since I pretty much guesstimated how much the box weighed. I've done it before many times, both with FedEx and USPS, without any kind of issue. The slip basically just tells me to go to the post office to pay, but other than that it doesn't explicitly say WHEN the balance is due or what will happen if I don't pay it. Am I obligated to pay this?

It's possible they might disable your USPS account.

Had something happened where I printed a label and somehow their system had recorded that the label hadn't been printed properly and didn't charge me. About a month after it got mailed, I got a notice indicating that if I had used a label that wasn't properly paid for, and my account and any accounts associated with my credit card would be disabled if it wasn't taken care of.

If not, I doubt they're going to go out of their way to send you to collections, but it wouldn't surprise me if post offices maintain a local list of senders not to forward on insufficient postage mail for.

EDIT: Doesn't the sender usually have to pick up the tab for postage due for insufficient postage? They can refuse it and get it sent back to you, this just seems a bit odd.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2010 around 15:02

nouia
Jun 21, 2005

nm posted:

Postal Police are hardcore. No joking, they can be scarier than the FBI.

I don't know, I helped one out for a credit card fraud case and all she really did was stand around telling awkward stories from 15 years ago as I tried to subtlety hint to her to leave my office once I had handed over my evidence.

kingcrimbud
Mar 1, 2007
Oh, Great. Now what?

Maneki Neko posted:

EDIT: Doesn't the sender usually have to pick up the tab for postage due for insufficient postage? They can refuse it and get it sent back to you, this just seems a bit odd.

It's up to the person receiving the mail to pay the difference, not the sender.

My guess is that this is because a return address is substantially easier to fake than a destination address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Just pay it.