Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
duckslut
Aug 13, 2003

Chiming in to say U-VERSE is the absolute poo poo for TV. It's #2 for internet (#1 being FIOS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I like having a landline because I have never heard VOIP that didn't sound like poo poo and stutter when you are using your Internet connection.

AT&T Uverse installer here. The TV picture quality varies greatly depending on what kind of TV you have. Samsungs, Sonys and Vizios look absolutely incredible in HD, whereas Magnavoxes, Zeniths, and other no-name/bargain basement TVs look like utter poo poo (Although they look like crap no matter what kind of service you have feeding video to them). Your best deal on the TV service is the U300 package - It comes with the DVR and pretty much every channel except for HBO and Cinemax channels. The internet speeds are great, but I'd recommend you stay away from the VOIP. I don't think I've heard many VOIP connections that didn't sound like butt.

KomradeVirtunov posted:

You know, I have a bit of a U-Verse situation at the moment.

I recently tried to switch to U-Verse from Insight because of all of the crazy rebates they were offering, ran through a few minor hurdles before we hooked up the gateway. Gateway couldn't detect any sort of signal, so the technician would hook up his meter (JDSU) and test the line to see if he could sync. It would sync and test successfully in about 25 seconds, numbers were great even though I'm on the outer limits from the nearest VRAD (3500ft). As soon as he'd hook the modem back up again it wouldn't do a thing. We went through 2 other modems and tested the lines a few times (they tested fine each time). The tech called foul on the inside wiring and left (and recommended I cancel).

I would hate to abandon this opportunity (especially since Insight would be a monopoly then), but I'm not sure what to really blame here. Everything I read from his meter showed that my line syncing fine around 30Mbit. Any suggestions guys?

If I could make this work I would jump on AT&T purely based on the lack of contracts I'd have to sign up for.

3500 ft is pretty far away, and I believe they've recently even cut it back to 3000 ft. That isn't to say that I haven't seen great numbers as far as 4,200 feet out, but that really depends on the gauge of wire between your house and the VRAD (Node). If you're in an apartment, you're probably screwed unless either A: you can bribe/blow a Charter/Comcast guy to unlock the box on the side of the apartment and have the Uverse installer feed the signal on coax, or B: Bribe/blow/intimidate your apartment manager to let you run a line of coax or Cat5 up the side of the outside of your apartment.

AmericanCitizen posted:

I think that AT&T must be crapping its pants over the fact that between the cable and wireless companies giving people options for voice service, their old business model centered on having a monopoly on the copper is falling apart.

Not nearly as much as Charter is crapping their pants over us getting into the TV business. Their business was already hurting, namely due to their service sucking, but now there is some actual competition around here and Charter is trying to get people to sign 2 year contracts (To lock in the savingzz).

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Also, according to Microsoft's CES presentation, you'll be able to use your XBox 360 as a set-top-box sometime in the future.

That's badass, I hadn't heard that yet. I wonder if that means you won't have to pay an extra $7 a month for the additional set top box.

Panthrax posted:

Internet is fast, TV is good. They're even going to mail me $350 in prepaid credit cards, and my parents will be getting a $100 referral credit. They seem to take their customer service seriously.

Anyway, the problems I'm having is with my DVR, and I have a feeling it has to do with the HDMI connection, but it's pretty annoying. I assume switching to component will fix it, but I don't really want to do that. When I turn the TV and DVR on, sometimes I'll get either no audio and picture, or only a picture, no audio. If I turn both off and back on once or twice, it'll be fixed. I assume the HDMI isn't syncing correctly or fast enough between the TV and DVR, since I see the blue HD light on the DVR flick on and off a couple times. Not a huge deal, but annoying regardless. My parents had the same problem, and after listing to them bitch about it, I replaced the HDMI with component, and it hasn't been a problem since. Anyone have any suggestions on this? Or just deal with it and keep power cycling?

AT&T has been doing the rebate thing so that their potential customers can buyout their contracts with Dish and Charter. Sometimes we get a batch of shady HDMI cables and alot of times, the problem is fixed by switching to component. You can still get 1080i through component and in alot of cases (Not all), it'll even look better. It just depends on the TV.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I have this bug in my bedroom. The fun part is that when you switch to component the the bright blue 'HD' LED stays on permanently even when the unit is off, having one of these on in a room you sleep in is annoying as hell. Only thing you can do is stick some tape over it or try to scribble on it with a sharpy to tone it down.

Our fix on a number of occasions (Namely with the older customers, they loving hate that light), is to put a strip of electrical tape over it.

warwick5s posted:

Has anyone tried using powerline ethernet or wireless bridges to get a STB to somewhere without running ethernet cable?

In my experience, using the PlugLinks on set top boxes works great...until about 10 minutes after we leave. The ones that we use are 80Mb ones, but I have heard of guys having success in experimenting with the newer ones that run at 200Mb (Unfortunately we don't have them).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Lagman posted:

Not nearly as much as Charter is crapping their pants over us getting into the TV business. Their business was already hurting, namely due to their service sucking, but now there is some actual competition around here and Charter is trying to get people to sign 2 year contracts (To lock in the savingzz).

Well, at the current rate it is taking AT&T to do poo poo around St. Louis, contract or no, Charter will be my only option for a long, long time.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

warwick5s posted:

Has anyone tried using powerline ethernet or wireless bridges to get a STB to somewhere without running ethernet cable?

It can be done, but isn't supported or recommended by AT&T.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

devmd01 posted:

DNS lookups can be slow on occasion

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this, there's something seriously hosed with how the provided router does DNS. If you just do normal DHCP, it will give your computer the IP address of your router as the DNS server, which then forwards DNS requests out. It's slow as *balls* and there's no way to point the router to openDNS or anything, so I had to hard-code the openDNS addresses on all my machines.

I'm going to be getting a Netgear WNDR3700 this weekend, so I'll just be using the 2Wire guy for the TV boxes and I'll be able to fix it, but it was a pain in the dick.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

warwick5s posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this, there's something seriously hosed with how the provided router does DNS. If you just do normal DHCP, it will give your computer the IP address of your router as the DNS server, which then forwards DNS requests out. It's slow as *balls* and there's no way to point the router to openDNS or anything, so I had to hard-code the openDNS addresses on all my machines.

I think it might actually be some of AT&T's DNS servers. I've had U-verse for a year and a half here in Grand Rapids, MI, and while it's been great for the most part, DNS lookups would just plain time out about 30% of the time. I switched to OpenDNS about 8 months back, and everything since has been fantastic. Even got a free upgrade from 10Mbps to 12Mbps last year.

U-verse owns.

Edit: also, about the interleaving on the first page, I think those ping estimates are kinda high. I get 30-50 ms pings all the time, to numerous servers.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

MrBond posted:

Strange, I heard from a friend that Uverse in SF looked crap-tacular compared to Comcast HD. Pixelation and compression effects everywhere apparently.

Does he have Uverse?

GhostShirtSociety
Jun 6, 2009

Television. Doesn't it make you want to kick things?

d3rt posted:

You could have a line fault or there is extra noise on the line. Have you tried an isolation test? Or you could just have a really long phone line.

I bought their 3 Mb/s service and that's what I've got. In reality the fastest I've seen it get is about 2.7 or 2.8 Mb/s

dMastri
Apr 28, 2007

by angerbeet

Just chiming in to say VOIP is fine these days.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Schpyder posted:

I think it might actually be some of AT&T's DNS servers. I've had U-verse for a year and a half here in Grand Rapids, MI, and while it's been great for the most part, DNS lookups would just plain time out about 30% of the time. I switched to OpenDNS about 8 months back, and everything since has been fantastic. Even got a free upgrade from 10Mbps to 12Mbps last year.

U-verse owns.

Edit: also, about the interleaving on the first page, I think those ping estimates are kinda high. I get 30-50 ms pings all the time, to numerous servers.

I dunno how you get 30-50ms pings, even AT&T techs says the min ping is around 60ms. You get 20-30ms just to the first hop due to the intervleaving, I have a hard time believing you get near 0 latency after that.

Also, I'm surprised by how many people are saying "U-Verse internet owns!" at the same time they acknowledge their DNS is completely busted... that's an extremely basic ISP service and the fact that anywhere from 5-30% of DNS queries time out for no reason is pretty unacceptable (and the rest are slow as balls). Yeah, I use google DNS servers to get around the problem also, but that's not a requirement of a kickass ISP.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

From what I could gather online and what I tested here at home, it's not the DNS that's busted, it's the translation that takes place at the router level that makes it slow.

When I get my new router this weekend I'll try it with AT&T's DNS servers first - I bet it'll work just fine.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

greasyhands posted:

Also, I'm surprised by how many people are saying "U-Verse internet owns!" at the same time they acknowledge their DNS is completely busted... that's an extremely basic ISP service and the fact that anywhere from 5-30% of DNS queries time out for no reason is pretty unacceptable (and the rest are slow as balls). Yeah, I use google DNS servers to get around the problem also, but that's not a requirement of a kickass ISP.

My DNS is fine for UVerse with no messing around. It is a great service and the rebate checks came remarkably fast. My apt has poo poo wiring and they made it work and it's plenty fast.

d3rt
Jul 11, 2004

Mandate.

spcefrk posted:

I bought their 3 Mb/s service and that's what I've got. In reality the fastest I've seen it get is about 2.7 or 2.8 Mb/s

Taking overhead into consideration, that sounds about right for a 3Mbit/sec DSL service. If that is the fastest they will sell you, maybe they have records of how long your phone line is or tested it as that is the best it can do. If they sold you a faster service, you might not get any faster so they're actually doing you a favor. Are you able to provide the line attenuation and noise levels etc?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

fully trained greenskeeper

Another satisfied uverse customer here. I have had it for 13 months, and love it.

One key thing that I like is that you can still use the RG (Residential Gateway, the big breakout box)'s wireless features AND have an external router connected via the DMZ. If you want you can then have two SSID's on different LANs - if you want, let a neighbor connect to the uVerse box and your LAN is still safe.

I have a strong suspicion that if I wanted, I could instead of plugging the two STB Ethernet runs into two switch ports on the back of the RG, that I could simply plug them into a big switch connected to one of those ports.

I didn't catch if it was mentioned but I wonder if you could up a wireless bridge or pair of them to remote a STB. Wireless G should cover it, I would think.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Jonny 290 posted:

I have a strong suspicion that if I wanted, I could instead of plugging the two STB Ethernet runs into two switch ports on the back of the RG, that I could simply plug them into a big switch connected to one of those ports.

You can do that, in fact we carry 8 port gigabit switches on on our trucks in case customers need to use more than the 4 ports on the back. Your installer may even let you have one if you just ask.

Jonny 290 posted:

I didn't catch if it was mentioned but I wonder if you could up a wireless bridge or pair of them to remote a STB. Wireless G should cover it, I would think.

That may or may not work, Uverse is still relatively new and the signal is still pretty sensitive. If the set top box is right by the RG, you should be able to just connect a run of coax from the back of the RG directly into the back of your set top box, just don't use cheap rear end coax with lovely ends.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

greasyhands posted:

I dunno how you get 30-50ms pings, even AT&T techs says the min ping is around 60ms. You get 20-30ms just to the first hop due to the intervleaving, I have a hard time believing you get near 0 latency after that.

code:
C:\Users\redacted>ping www.somethingawful.com

Pinging www.somethingawful.com [216.86.148.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=54
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=54
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=54
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 216.86.148.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 31ms

C:\Users\redacted>
I get similar results for all sorts of sites, and lots of game servers, too.

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007

Well, after two calls this evening and being routed across a bunch of different departments (what is the point of a call routing system if it sends me to billing if I ask for tech support?) I may or may not be a little further along the way to getting U-Verse. Once I do actually reach someone they've been more than eager and surprisingly speaking an accent I understand.

So basically my order was cancelled on the 12th because there had been a small note left on the order saying that they had come out and found out that there were wiring issues and that I was to be contacted why...except I was never actually contacted. The first girl I spoke with in customer care ended up giving me the number to Tier 2, which turned out to be a dead end because I had no way of getting through the call routing. Called back to tier 1 tech support to see if I could find out what wiring was actually the issue (inside the home, outside at the box, the general area...) and couldn't get any more information other than there was a wiring issue and that I would need to talk to my apartment management group to get permission to do repairs.

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what I should be telling them since AT&T doesn't seem to know what the extent of the problem is.

d3rt
Jul 11, 2004

Mandate.

Schpyder posted:

code:
C:\Users\redacted>ping [url]www.somethingawful.com[/url]

Pinging [url]www.somethingawful.com[/url] [216.86.148.10] with 32 bytes of data:

Yeah because 20 - 30ms just from interleaving is an exaggeration. I never saw such a thing in Australia with interleaving on ADSL1 or ADSL2+ DSLAMS.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

I'm on RoadRunner right now, getting like 29 down/1.74 up.

I tried to sign up for U-Verse when the sales people came by to hit our neighborhood. They had some great deals going, but when the install tech came, he said our outlets weren't properly grounded. So that was that.

The house is a rental, was built in the 50s, and just never properly grounded, I guess. Might be something to watch out for if you have an older home.

The next week after we tried to sign up for U-Verse, I got a postcard from TimeWarner that they were doubling my internet speed for the same price. So, we just stuck with them.

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

I have been considering U-Verse Internet service but maybe also the Internet + Voice.

1) If I end up only wanting the Internet service is there some way to get around the $150 installation fee?

2) Does the provided router drop out under heavy torrenting?

3) If I decide to go with voice + Internet service does the VoIP quality take a big hit while the connection/router has a large number of connections open?

4) I have heard the U-Verse VoIP service has a lag associated with it. Anyone find this to be true?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Schpyder posted:

code:
C:\Users\redacted>ping [url]www.somethingawful.com[/url]

Pinging [url]www.somethingawful.com[/url] [216.86.148.10] with 32 bytes of data:

Are you positive you are VDSL and not FTTH? That's some kind of small miracle if you are VDSL.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.

Just signed up for U-Verse tonight with just the internet portion. I'm coming from Time Warner after being sick of their poor customer service and billing/sales department that will do anything to pick up a sale.

We signed up for the 6 down/1 up plan and I've got a few questions about the service and the install in general.

1. I live in an apartment with only one phone jack located in a central spot in the apartment. With only internet being installed and two computers and an Xbox that currently runs hardwired from our router that is on the other side of the room, could this pose some problems?

2. Am I going to notice a huge difference going from TWC (In which I had a 7 up/some amount down plan) in terms of general usability of my internet? I play a lot of XBL/PSN, but mainly Rock Band or 1 vs 100 and I stream a lot of content from Netflix on my Xbox. I ask just out of curiosity, as I've never had any form of DSL before.

3. My Order Email says that my install is for 1pm this Thursday. Is that a firm time that I will either have someone show up at my house with or get a call from someone saying they'll be over shortly, or is it the beginning of a 4 hour time window like any other install is normally quoted as being?

4. What can I expect out of an install? I know someone 18 or older has to be here, and that's no problem at all. I just want to have a general idea of what to expect. Our TWC install was basically the installer showing up at the door, dropping off a Cable Modem, going outside to somewhere in our complex and checking something, coming back in and making certain that the internet worked and taking our first month's bill and install fee.

Edit: I guess as a curious 5th question, what are the odds of getting FTTH/FTTP on a new install? From some of my reading online, AT&T is doing some installs as FTTP, but not all. If it makes any difference, City/State is Columbus,OH and zip is 43228.

bulbous nub fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2010 around 08:37

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007

bulbous nub posted:

3. My Order Email says that my install is for 1pm this Thursday. Is that a firm time that I will either have someone show up at my house with or get a call from someone saying they'll be over shortly, or is it the beginning of a 4 hour time window like any other install is normally quoted as being?

4. What can I expect out of an install? I know someone 18 or older has to be here, and that's no problem at all. I just want to have a general idea of what to expect. Our TWC install was basically the installer showing up at the door, dropping off a Cable Modem, going outside to somewhere in our complex and checking something, coming back in and making certain that the internet worked and taking our first month's bill and install fee.

Edit: I guess as a curious 5th question, what are the odds of getting FTTH/FTTP on a new install? From some of my reading online, AT&T is doing some installs as FTTP, but not all. If it makes any difference, City/State is Columbus,OH and zip is 43228.

3. When I was given my time, it was a 2 hour window and it ended up being about 30 minutes into the window when the technician showed up.

4. From my experience, tech will probably spend about 50/50 inside/out, he'll fumble around your apartment trying to trace the wiring from the outside in first and then head outside for a bit and I would presume varies from there. You'll want to show the locations of all of the wall jacks and which rooms you want to have the DVRs set up in to the tech.

5. hi5 fellow Columbus goon, I don't know where there's FTTP in Columbus, but I'm pretty sure you're going to be on copper from the VRAD onward, that's an older part of town.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

greasyhands posted:

Are you positive you are VDSL and not FTTH? That's some kind of small miracle if you are VDSL.

I have U-Verse here, and it's definitely VDSL. I watched the install. Here's typical pings for me:

code:
C:\Users\David>ping somethingawful.com

Pinging somethingawful.com [216.86.148.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.86.148.10: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=57

Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms

C:\Users\David>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.95.103] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.95.103: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=54
Reply from 74.125.95.103: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=54
Reply from 74.125.95.103: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=54
Reply from 74.125.95.103: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 74.125.95.103:
    Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 43ms

I'm really close to the local head-end (it's just through the neighbors yard behind us). We get great speeds and service from U-Verse.

Edit:

Here's a trace to show the latency - looks like most of it *is* local, but their backbone is rockin', so it doesn't really affect much:

code:
C:\Users\David>tracert somethingawful.com

Tracing route to somethingawful.com [216.86.148.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  Redacted
  2    23 ms    22 ms    22 ms  Redacted (Local head-end)
  3    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  76.213.24.6
  4    21 ms    20 ms    21 ms  151.164.93.18
  5    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  151.164.99.141
  6    31 ms    32 ms    32 ms  xe-11-2-0.edge4.Chicago3.Level3.net [4.68.62.41]

7    32 ms    32 ms    31 ms  BANDCON.edge4.Chicago3.Level3.net [4.53.98.18]
  8    31 ms    31 ms    32 ms  www.somethingawful.com [216.86.148.10]

Trace complete.

thedavid fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2010 around 12:17

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

greasyhands posted:

Considering that I'm in a 40 year old apartment complex, and had to have two techs in to install it which involved futzing around with the in-building box a bit, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's VDSL. Not sure how close I am to the VRAD, though.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

RocketLunatic posted:

I tried to sign up for U-Verse when the sales people came by to hit our neighborhood. They had some great deals going, but when the install tech came, he said our outlets weren't properly grounded. So that was that.

You only need grounded outlets if you are getting VOIP, don't get VOIP anyways.

cycleback posted:

I have been considering U-Verse Internet service but maybe also the Internet + Voice.

1) If I end up only wanting the Internet service is there some way to get around the $150 installation fee?

2) Does the provided router drop out under heavy torrenting?

3) If I decide to go with voice + Internet service does the VoIP quality take a big hit while the connection/router has a large number of connections open?

4) I have heard the U-Verse VoIP service has a lag associated with it. Anyone find this to be true?

1: They have been waiving the installation fee pretty much altogether. If it's different in your area, talk to the sales rep on the phone, and they can probably get it waived. Devious plan #2 would be to sign up for internet and TV so you get the installation for free, then just cancel the TV after the first month at no penalty to you.

2: So long as you leave it properly ventilated (poo poo not covering up the vents), it should be fine

3: The VOIP is rear end to begin with

4:Not terrible lag, but probably nothing you'd really notice

bulbous nub posted:

1. I live in an apartment with only one phone jack located in a central spot in the apartment. With only internet being installed and two computers and an Xbox that currently runs hardwired from our router that is on the other side of the room, could this pose some problems?

1: The router is going to be right by the phone jack, unless the Time Warner guys left the box outside with all the cable splitters open or unlocked and they can run the signal to your apartment through the cable. You should be able to hit your 360 with a PlugLink over the power lines.

FTTP is only happening in a few cities, so it's not very likely

Bill the Cat
Sep 3, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

IPTV uses multicast to deliver the service. The RG supports IGMP snooping so that the stream requested by the STB is only sent to the single port the STB is connected to.
You can add your own switch, but if you are going to plug a STB into it, it should support IGMP snooping.
Otherwise, all the multicast traffic is blasted out all the ports of the switch. This can overload many cheaper switches and cause packet loss, TV picture breakup, etc. The switches carried by the prem techs support it, so if you think you are going to need one ask for it at install time.

IGMP Snooping and multicast is also the reason why you cannot install a wireless bridge for a STB. The RG will not let it's wireless network join any multicast streams, so the STB cannot get the content. I have heard of some people using their own AP and a bridge to connect a STB. As long as only one STB was on the wireless LAN it seemed to work, but as soon as they tried to add other wireless clients they ran into problems with dropouts and data loss.

A couple other things:
I've had the U-Verse voice VoIP service for 10 months now and it is not 'rear end' as some others have said. I've had zero downtime or issues with it since the install, and the quality is good. As far as everyone I talk to is concerned, they cannot tell that I'm using VoIP.

The DNS problem is an issue with the proxy server build into the RG, AT&T's DNS servers are fine. There is supposed to be a firmware update pushed out sometime this year that will fix this. In the meantime, hardcoding AT&T's DNS (or the provider of your choice) into your equipment will take care of the issue.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Lagman posted:

You only need grounded outlets if you are getting VOIP, don't get VOIP anyways.

Really? We only ordered internet + tv since we already have cellphones through AT&T. The tech checked every outlet and, according to my wife, talked about the grounding for the router. I wondered if he was just being lazy and didn't want to do the install or something. He told my wife that the equipment will malfunction if it isn't on a grounded circuit, and those U-Verse customers without grounded outlets are having lots of problems.

I wasn't at home, or else I would have been able to ask more questions.

Bill the Cat
Sep 3, 2004

RocketLunatic posted:

Really? We only ordered internet + tv since we already have cellphones through AT&T. The tech checked every outlet and, according to my wife, talked about the grounding for the router. I wondered if he was just being lazy and didn't want to do the install or something. He told my wife that the equipment will malfunction if it isn't on a grounded circuit, and those U-Verse customers without grounded outlets are having lots of problems.
Experience has shown that the RG has to be plugged into a grounded outlet to avoid service problems. Since you need a RG regardless of if you get VoIP or not, your prem tech was correct.
It might have worked, or you could have ended up with a bunch of problems.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

I hate this thread. U-Verse is on the north side of town but not on the south side where I live yet and my DSL is wretched. Only cable provider is the horrible Charter. drat you all.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I got the new firmware last week and don't seem to have trouble with DNS anymore. I only wish the update didn't happen at 9PM when I was watching TV, because the router went down (pattern of lights I'd never seen, making me worry it was broken) for 10 minutes or so to do the update

You'll know you've got it because it completely changes up the admin panel:

Click here for the full 776x739 image.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bulbous nub posted:

2. Am I going to notice a huge difference going from TWC (In which I had a 7 up/some amount down plan) in terms of general usability of my internet? I play a lot of XBL/PSN, but mainly Rock Band or 1 vs 100 and I stream a lot of content from Netflix on my Xbox. I ask just out of curiosity, as I've never had any form of DSL before.

I have 6/1 and get Netflix HD streaming easily every time and XBL is perfect.

Lagman posted:

That may or may not work, Uverse is still relatively new and the signal is still pretty sensitive. If the set top box is right by the RG, you should be able to just connect a run of coax from the back of the RG directly into the back of your set top box, just don't use cheap rear end coax with lovely ends.

Might be a stupid question...but can I connect the coax coming out of the RG into my house's cable wiring to get a signal into my bedroom? I can't run ethernet anywhere other than where the RG and STB is, everything else in my house is wireless. How do installers typically place a STB when they can't run ethernet?

Also, is there any way to force my router to update? I'm still on the old firmware and clicking the update button doesn't do anything - I'd like to give that a shot before buying a new router.

edit: Last question, to one of the AT&T guys in this thread: Do you have any detailed maps on where in San Francisco has U-verse or will shortly? I'm moving this summer and don't want to lose it

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

RocketLunatic posted:

I wasn't at home, or else I would have been able to ask more questions.

The power brick that comes with the RGs is a three prong, and in the last two months or so, they just started giving us power bricks with only two prongs so we could still install on houses without grounded outlets.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

warwick5s posted:

I can't run ethernet anywhere other than where the RG and STB is, everything else in my house is wireless. How do installers typically place a STB when they can't run ethernet?

Er, why can't you run ethernet?

Bill the Cat
Sep 3, 2004

warwick5s posted:

Might be a stupid question...but can I connect the coax coming out of the RG into my house's cable wiring to get a signal into my bedroom? I can't run ethernet anywhere other than where the RG and STB is, everything else in my house is wireless. How do installers typically place a STB when they can't run ethernet?
Do you currently have a STB in your bedroom? The signal coming out of the RG coax connection is not RF TV, it's HPNA to allow STBs to connect via Ethernet.

warwick5s posted:

Also, is there any way to force my router to update? I'm still on the old firmware and clicking the update button doesn't do anything - I'd like to give that a shot before buying a new router.
You can't. The RG will not update until the system that manages them allows the update to occur. What is your reasoning to get a new router? If it's the DNS proxy problem, just hardcode the DNS servers into your devices.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

warwick5s posted:

edit: Last question, to one of the AT&T guys in this thread: Do you have any detailed maps on where in San Francisco has U-verse or will shortly? I'm moving this summer and don't want to lose it

If you are talking about moving your set top box into your bedroom, then it depends on what kind of barrels, wall plates, and splitters are between your RG and your bedroom. We usually use coax if the house is already wired for it, the only time we really run Cat5 is when there's a set top box right next to the RG or if we had to hard wire a computer or something. We have had more problems with Cat5 than with coax since the coax has metal shielding all through it that keeps the signal from getting hosed with by interference. The "preferred method of installation" by AT&T is on ethernet, but given how many problems we've had with it, the general consensus around the techs here is that it's only so that other companies like Charter can't come in and use our wiring if the customer cancels the service.

AT&T doesn't like to put out maps of where their coverage is, because as soon as Charter finds out we've expanded to a new area, they step up their "lock in the savings with a 2 year contract" campaign. This pisses me off too, since I'm looking for a new apartment and I want to get one that has Uverse available. Your best bet is to take the addresses of all the apartments you're looking at and throw them into the Uverse website and see if they offer service there.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

warwick5s posted:

I have 6/1 and get Netflix HD streaming easily every time and XBL is perfect.

Coax can be used. If you get a straight cable run from the RG to the STB, it should work, otherwise you might run into some issues with splitters depending on what kind you have in your house.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

fishmech posted:

Weird house layout, sealed ceilings in the basement, attic full of blown-in insulation...

I mean, it's technically possible but it'd be a huge pain in the dick.

Lagman posted:

If you are talking about moving your set top box into your bedroom, then it depends on what kind of barrels, wall plates, and splitters are between your RG and your bedroom. We usually use coax if the house is already wired for it, the only time we really run Cat5 is when there's a set top box right next to the RG or if we had to hard wire a computer or something. We have had more problems with Cat5 than with coax since the coax has metal shielding all through it that keeps the signal from getting hosed with by interference. The "preferred method of installation" by AT&T is on ethernet, but given how many problems we've had with it, the general consensus around the techs here is that it's only so that other companies like Charter can't come in and use our wiring if the customer cancels the service.

That's great. It's an old house but Charter just re-did a bunch of the cable when I got HD but before I got U-verse, so I'm pretty sure it'll work. Guess I'll have to ask AT&T to send me another box.

quote:

AT&T doesn't like to put out maps of where their coverage is, because as soon as Charter finds out we've expanded to a new area, they step up their "lock in the savings with a 2 year contract" campaign. This pisses me off too, since I'm looking for a new apartment and I want to get one that has Uverse available. Your best bet is to take the addresses of all the apartments you're looking at and throw them into the Uverse website and see if they offer service there.

Figured as much. Thanks for the reply.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2010 around 18:55

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

fishmech posted:

If the RG is on the first floor, and one of the TVs is on the third floor, good luck fishing wire that far. In some of the lower income areas we've done installations in, the customer has even suggested that we just run the Cat5 through two rooms and then up the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

warwick5s posted:

That's great. It's an old house but Charter just re-did a bunch of the cable when I got HD but before I got U-verse, so I'm pretty sure it'll work. Guess I'll have to ask AT&T to send me another box.

I want to say that you can call customer support and they will send a tech there to make sure that there aren't any splitters between the RG and your bedroom, but they may charge you a $55 trip charge. They should be able to waive that, but if not, you can work the system in other ways. If you called in a trouble, and the tech showed up and you tell him that there's nothing wrong with your service and that you just wanted to add another set top box, then he'll actually get P2R referral points for adding a set top box to your order. He also probably won't mind that he knows exactly what he needs to do, rather than having to figure out what is causing the problem (And in more than one occasions, the problem was being caused by things like fluorescent lighting)

«36 »