Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

I know you probably can't say specifics, but what's the word on at&t picking up the pace on adding services in a general area? As I mentioned before I doubt it will be where I'm about to move to in a month, period but it took almost two years to get from one side of my town to another. At the pace they seem to be taking I don't see it reaching the other side of Atlanta until 10+ years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Ryokurin posted:

I know you probably can't say specifics, but what's the word on at&t picking up the pace on adding services in a general area? As I mentioned before I doubt it will be where I'm about to move to in a month, period but it took almost two years to get from one side of my town to another. At the pace they seem to be taking I don't see it reaching the other side of Atlanta until 10+ years from now

They decide where to expand using some crazy-rear end AT&T math. One would think that they'd put the VRADs in a location where they can get coverage to the most customers, but I've been out to some back country places in with a half mile between each house where they couldn't have gotten but 5 houses off of one VRAD. That being said, AT&T Math is still better than Verizon Math.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll

If anyone in Silicon Valley is interested in U-Verse, I'm able to get it along El Camino Real in Sunnyvale and it's $100 / mo for 6mbps/1mbps w/ 220 channels and a DVR plus a $150 Visa gift card as well as free installation. Beats the poo poo out of the digital cable + 6mbps Comcast setup I have in Nashville at $138 / mo. In many respects, my cost of living is going down by moving to Silicon Valley I'm finding.

d3rt
Jul 11, 2004

Mandate.

greasyhands posted:

Are you positive you are VDSL and not FTTH? That's some kind of small miracle if you are VDSL.

Why do you think interleaving adds 20 - 30ms? It doesn't.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

d3rt posted:

Why do you think interleaving adds 20 - 30ms? It doesn't.

I dunno, everyone I've ever spoken to (except now 2-3 people in this thread) say their pings went up 30-50ms after switching to u-verse from various cable providers. I had the same thing happen, I didn't move or anything I just switched to U-verse and my average ping went up at least 30ms to the *same* servers that I played on before.

d3rt
Jul 11, 2004

Mandate.

greasyhands posted:

I dunno, everyone I've ever spoken to (except now 2-3 people in this thread) say their pings went up 30-50ms after switching to u-verse from various cable providers. I had the same thing happen, I didn't move or anything I just switched to U-verse and my average ping went up at least 30ms to the *same* servers that I played on before.

Cable has lower latency than ADSL. Interleaving does not add 20 - 30ms on normal DSL connections however. I don't know of anyone in Australia on ADSL/ADSL2+ with pings to gaming servers over 60ms unless they're too far away to begin with.

Your anecdotal evidence points to different routes between ISPs and cable-to-ADSL latency increase. Cable does not have -50ms over ADSL however. That is rubbish.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

d3rt posted:

Cable has lower latency than ADSL. Interleaving does not add 20 - 30ms on normal DSL connections however. I don't know of anyone in Australia on ADSL/ADSL2+ with pings to gaming servers over 60ms unless they're too far away to begin with.

Your anecdotal evidence points to different routes between ISPs and cable-to-ADSL latency increase. Cable does not have -50ms over ADSL however. That is rubbish.

my anecdotal evidence consists of the entire uverse forums, but ok. I get 60-90ms pings to servers in the same city as me, maybe there is a local problem I have no idea. I just know every time I've googled to try to solve the problem I just find a ton of people with the same problem and this thread is the first I've seen with people claiming rock bottom pings on an interleaved vdsl connection. I don't really want to fight about it , I love you. And non-interleaved (fast path) DSL generally has lower latency than cable, so you're just kind of wrong about that.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2010 around 08:50

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D

60~90ms ping is pretty drat high

d3rt posted:

Well it depends, cable does not always have a lower latency than ADSL. At least that's what I've seen after doing tracert on at least ten different adsl/cable connections.

For example, this is my tracert to nearby server, through a non u-verse 6000/608 adsl with dslextreme as ISP

quote:

tracert he.net

Tracing route to he.net [216.218.186.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms REMOVED
3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms SJC1.CR1.Gig7-0-10.dslextreme.com [66.218.44.49]

4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10gigabitethernet2-3.core1.sjc2.he.net [206.223.116.37]
5 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms 10gigabitethernet1-1.core1.fmt1.he.net [72.52.92.109]
6 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms he.net [216.218.186.2]

Trace complete.

C:\>
This is with 608kbps upload. If you have a lower upload like 1500/384, your ping would go up to around 20~ms due to the inherent physical ~10ms latency and the additional ~7ms latency penalty due to the capped 384 upload. Here's a more detailed read on why that is.

Interleave adds around 20~30ms, and couple this with the general low upload on interleaved line (hence it being the last resort to stabilize the connection) the usual first hop ping with interleave enabled is around 50ms.

Now from what I've seen, the local comcast cable usually gets around 10~20ms ping, which is about the same as decent dsl. However the ping varies a lot more compare to dsl, possibly due to the nature of cable network.

One other thing people should pay attention to is the ISP's backhaul routing. I still prefer to game on dslextreme's dsl simply because they usually do a better job at routing the traffic. I can usually ping a tad lower than att's adsl and ~20ms lower than comcast cable across the US continent.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2010 around 10:29

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D

After reading it a bit more and looked at more reports on broadbandreport, seems like ATT enables interleave on all of their uverse customers. I can see why though, since they need the interleave to achieve enough data rate for their TV services.

Ironically the last time I remember having anything to do with interleave was calling up dslextreme for my friend's lovely connection to get them to turn off interleave and accept a performance hit, bringing 1500kbps sync rate (1.5mbps dsl package) down to around 784kbps. This brought the ping from ~50ms to around 13ms.

Ugh this just turned me completely off from att's uverse. I was actually considering it over my current dsl.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2010 around 10:32

BizzyLimpkits
May 20, 2001

Who's that coming down the track...

Forgive my ignorance, but would a ping time of say 60-90ms noticeably affect the responsiveness of a VPN connection?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

60-90 millisecond latency shouldn't be a problem for VPN stuff. Its when you start to hit 200 ms that it gets annoying.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

fully trained greenskeeper

Couple more random notes:

- I ran into the grounding issue because my house is all 2-wire cloth (not knob & tube thank god) but I convinced the guy to just wing it. Bad move on his part, I'm sure, but still. I don't have the phone service. Have never experienced issues with the tv+internet

- Our pole drop was the original 1952 wire and turned to dust when he tried to connect the line. He had to reschedule a tech and himself.

- As he was leaving, I volunteered to run the cat5 myself. He threw me a box and gave me a big grin and said "Thanks! See ya in two days"

I did all the runs (RG to STB's and RG to phone drop) with that spool, left the ends labeled and unterminated. Next visit he just plugged in power, terminated the ends and we were up. It worked out well for both of us - I got the cat5 run exactly as I wanted it without breathing down his neck, he got a fast install. And I had like 700 feet of CAT5e left over.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Almost overnight, we went from getting off work between 5 and 7 every day to getting off at about 2:30 for a week straight. There have been some rumblings about AT&T hiring contractors to do installs to minimize overtime, which kind of sucks since the only way we make enough money to make the job worth doing is with 10+ hours of overtime a week.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

It may just be that time of year. I know with retail you can expect to be short on hours until around Mother's day (Valentines Day if you are lucky) People are just broke until taxes are done.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.

Thanks for the answers to my questions everyone, I really appreciate the information. I checked online for my appointment status and it's a two hour window from 1-3, so that's all good and set. I just have one follow up question, Lagman. You mentioned using a PlugLink to get the ethernet signal from one side of the room to the other using just an electrical outlet. Does AT&T provide these free of charge or are they an additional charge each month?

sobrider
Feb 14, 2004

I have an install for next Sat and Im excited.
I got the U 200 and the pro internet. I went to the ATT store and they seemed to hook me up good with the 350 cash back. I have never had ATT service so this will be a 1st for me.

I have a condo that I had all new coax ran when I moved in. I believe the phone jack is on the same wall. Will this make it easy to just tap into the cable?

Whats funny is WOW Disconnected me by accident because someone below me got Uverse and they took their sweet time getting me reconnected and offered me nothing for my trouble.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

bulbous nub posted:

Thanks for the answers to my questions everyone, I really appreciate the information. I checked online for my appointment status and it's a two hour window from 1-3, so that's all good and set. I just have one follow up question, Lagman. You mentioned using a PlugLink to get the ethernet signal from one side of the room to the other using just an electrical outlet. Does AT&T provide these free of charge or are they an additional charge each month?

We carry a number of cool poo poo on our trucks that pretty much come free of charge provided we need to use them to get service to all of the customer's stuff. Such items include PlugLinks, 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet switches, USB wireless cards, PCMCIA wireless cards, etc. None of it is tracked at all. We walk into a big supply trailer to refill stocks of it on our truck, no signing it out or placing orders or anything like that. Odds are, if you just ask your installer, he'll just let you have some, provided you're not a tool.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

A Casual Gay

Yoda posted:

I have Uverse TV and Internet (450 and 6mbsp) and I must say it is a godsend compared to comcast. It does have a fiber backbone but it is NOT fiber to the house. Even so I have not really experienced any lag in online gaming (xbox or pc). I don't download a lot or use there phone service so hopefully someone else will have insight to those questions

They are running FTTH in some areas. It's pretty limited tho.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Lagman posted:

We carry a number of cool poo poo on our trucks that pretty much come free of charge provided we need to use them to get service to all of the customer's stuff. Such items include PlugLinks, 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet switches, USB wireless cards, PCMCIA wireless cards, etc. None of it is tracked at all. We walk into a big supply trailer to refill stocks of it on our truck, no signing it out or placing orders or anything like that. Odds are, if you just ask your installer, he'll just let you have some, provided you're not a tool.

Yeah, our installer left us with an 8-port gigabit switch and a boatload of HDMI and component cables, basically just because I asked!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Jonny 290 posted:

I did all the runs (RG to STB's and RG to phone drop) with that spool, left the ends labeled and unterminated. Next visit he just plugged in power, terminated the ends and we were up. It worked out well for both of us - I got the cat5 run exactly as I wanted it without breathing down his neck, he got a fast install. And I had like 700 feet of CAT5e left over.

This is one thing that is great about U-verse - At&t is really putting time and money into making the install a good experience for the customer- they give people free hubs if the gateway doesn't have enough ports and as many cat5 cables as they need, and, by most accounts, are extremely flexible with the installation and try to do it how you want, even allowing the customer to help.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

skipdogg posted:

TV: Personally I love the TV. There are tons of arguements online about it looking better than some providers and looking worse than others.
I've recorded HD stuff from the DVR from both a Time Warner HD DVR and the AT&T HD DVR and the Time Warner looked better for some reason (this is recorded through a component cable), but it's not as much of a difference once I tweak a few settings in my recording software, and it's not anything to fret over. I'm still getting stuff in a decent HD format onto my computer that is not normally available in Blu-ray, etc.

There's more HD channels and it is cheaper than what we had with Time Warner, so I can't really complain. The DVR functionality is head and shoulders above Time Warner's.

skipdogg posted:

The DVR is awesome though, and the UI is beautiful. Short of TiVo it beats anything out there. Whole Home DVR is awesome as well and we couldn't live without it. Super fast channel changes... it's instant. I can program it from an iPhone, my blackberry, the website, and then watch the show in any room in the house. I banish the wife and her reality TV bullshit to the bedroom when I'm playing on the big HDTV. I couldn't do that on cable.
I do have to say that the DVR setup is a thing of beauty. I love the iPhone programming bit, as well as the whole-home DVR.

The installation guy we had was awesome - he wired everything up and was very competent and very fast.

I've only had two problems with U-Verse:

1) For the first few months, we had a lot of dropouts on our internet service. Never affected the TV, and customer support played the "we aren't seeing anything on our end, nothing is wrong, are you sure it's not your computer" (this was on two different computers and a laptop) and the tech they sent out couldn't find anything wrong. One day we saw several AT&T trucks on our street and magically no more dropouts.

2) I want a second TV receiver (not a DVR, just a normal HD receiver) - we already have a DVR in the living room and a receiver in the bedroom, this is for another room. It has a ethernet connection setup by the U-Verse installation guy in case we wanted to move a computer or add another receiver in there in the future. AT&T wants to charge us a shitload of money for somebody to come out and plug it into the wall. All I want to do is go and pick up the box and take care of it myself since it's literally just plugging it into the wall outlet that is already there. One customer service guy told me to keep an eye out for sales/specials

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Ah man, I wish I would have known about the amount of gear the installers have available for customers. It certainly would be nice to have a gig switch, if for no other reason that additional ports, and an extra couple HDMI cables.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!

tonelok posted:

One day we saw several AT&T trucks on our street and magically no more dropouts.

In this situation, having done support for AT&T U-verse Tier2, I think that enough of your neighbors called in, and someone who actually does data mining figured out that the card in the DSLAM where your neighborhood connects do was going bad. They replaced it and solved instability for a ton of people.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tonelok posted:

2) I want a second TV receiver (not a DVR, just a normal HD receiver) - we already have a DVR in the living room and a receiver in the bedroom, this is for another room. It has a ethernet connection setup by the U-Verse installation guy in case we wanted to move a computer or add another receiver in there in the future. AT&T wants to charge us a shitload of money for somebody to come out and plug it into the wall. All I want to do is go and pick up the box and take care of it myself since it's literally just plugging it into the wall outlet that is already there. One customer service guy told me to keep an eye out for sales/specials

It should only be a 55 dollar fee... if you call in to Support (not Sales) and get a nice rep they should be able to credit your account the 55 bucks. There's no way around the fee, but you can get a credit to offset it. There's no way to pick up the box or have it mailed to you at this time.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

tonelok posted:

I've recorded HD stuff from the DVR from both a Time Warner HD DVR and the AT&T HD DVR and the Time Warner looked better for some reason (this is recorded through a component cable), but it's not as much of a difference once I tweak a few settings in my recording software, and it's not anything to fret over. I'm still getting stuff in a decent HD format onto my computer that is not normally available in Blu-ray, etc.

There's more HD channels and it is cheaper than what we had with Time Warner, so I can't really complain. The DVR functionality is head and shoulders above Time Warner's.
I do have to say that the DVR setup is a thing of beauty. I love the iPhone programming bit, as well as the whole-home DVR.

The installation guy we had was awesome - he wired everything up and was very competent and very fast.

I've only had two problems with U-Verse:

1) For the first few months, we had a lot of dropouts on our internet service. Never affected the TV, and customer support played the "we aren't seeing anything on our end, nothing is wrong, are you sure it's not your computer" (this was on two different computers and a laptop) and the tech they sent out couldn't find anything wrong. One day we saw several AT&T trucks on our street and magically no more dropouts.

Most of us installers will go out of our way not to charge people unless they're just dicks. I'd say to fabricate a problem to call customer support (Pull one of the wires out from the modular jack in the wall going to the RG or something), have them send a tech out to fix said problem, then while they are there ask about adding another set top box. Tech gets a quick repair which looks good on his efficiency numbers plus $7 for a P2R referral for the set top box.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Huh. I just checked to see if I got the new RG update (I didn't), but it looks like I did get the improved provisioning!

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

skipdogg posted:

It should only be a 55 dollar fee... if you call in to Support (not Sales) and get a nice rep they should be able to credit your account the 55 bucks.

Lagman posted:

Most of us installers will go out of our way not to charge people unless they're just dicks. I'd say to fabricate a problem to call customer support (Pull one of the wires out from the modular jack in the wall going to the RG or something), have them send a tech out to fix said problem, then while they are there ask about adding another set top box. Tech gets a quick repair which looks good on his efficiency numbers plus $7 for a P2R referral for the set top box.
Thanks for the info. It was going to be $55 which seemed ridiculous for just plugging it in.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Schpyder posted:

Huh. I just checked to see if I got the new RG update (I didn't), but it looks like I did get the improved provisioning!

Mine is the same thing - what's that mean? That they will support 3 HD streams at once?

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

tonelok posted:

Mine is the same thing - what's that mean? That they will support 3 HD streams at once?

32Mb profiles will support 3 HD and 1 SD at once, 25Mb will do 2HD and 2SD, and a 19Mb profile will support only 1 HD and 3 SD. Three HD streams may not be available as it's still not standard everywhere.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

tonelok posted:

Thanks for the info. It was going to be $55 which seemed ridiculous for just plugging it in.

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with their fees. My parents has a tech come out for some issues, and when he left, it still wasn't fixed. I called customer service, told them specifically that the guy was out earlier in the day, and it's still happening. They said no problem and scheduled someone to come out the next day. Dude comes, says they're probably going to be a $55 charge, and I should have called the guy back that had come earlier. He gave us his phone number, but by the time we called CS, it was like 8 or 9pm, and I assumed the guy wouldn't want to be bothered at home after working 8 or 12 hours or whatever. We got a charge for $55 on the next bill, which they had no problem taking off. But WTF, charging $55 for a truck roll to fix a problem that wasn't fixed yesterday?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Panthrax posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with their fees. My parents has a tech come out for some issues, and when he left, it still wasn't fixed. I called customer service, told them specifically that the guy was out earlier in the day, and it's still happening. They said no problem and scheduled someone to come out the next day. Dude comes, says they're probably going to be a $55 charge, and I should have called the guy back that had come earlier. He gave us his phone number, but by the time we called CS, it was like 8 or 9pm, and I assumed the guy wouldn't want to be bothered at home after working 8 or 12 hours or whatever. We got a charge for $55 on the next bill, which they had no problem taking off. But WTF, charging $55 for a truck roll to fix a problem that wasn't fixed yesterday?

Trucks are expensive as hell to roll to a customers house, that 55 dollar fee is there to discourage all the people that don't feel like reaching around their TV to plug in their own DVD player from abusing what used to be free truck rolls. Cable companies charge as well, it's normal in the business, but if it's a valid issue, the fee usually gets waived. There's really not a way around it in the system. It's there by default when you dispatch.

It really discourages the "What do you mean I have to plug my own HDMI cable in, can't you send someone out to do this" crowd. For 55 bucks they suddenly seem more apt to troubleshoot over the phone.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

skipdogg posted:

Trucks are expensive as hell to roll to a customers house, that 55 dollar fee is there to discourage all the people that don't feel like reaching around their TV to plug in their own DVD player from abusing what used to be free truck rolls. Cable companies charge as well, it's normal in the business, but if it's a valid issue, the fee usually gets waived. There's really not a way around it in the system. It's there by default when you dispatch.

It really discourages the "What do you mean I have to plug my own HDMI cable in, can't you send someone out to do this" crowd. For 55 bucks they suddenly seem more apt to troubleshoot over the phone.

Pretty much this. It's to discourage customer stupidity and lazyness. We've been dispatched on troubles because the customer was having trouble getting a picture on one of his TVs. It ended up that he didn't know how to change the input on his TV and had refused to work with customer support over the phone and demanded that they send out a tech to fix the problem. Or because they move the Gateway and don't plug it back up correctly/can't because it has to be set up a specific way because they know better.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

They still should be able to just mail another STB to a customer that's confident he can set it up himself, and then charge the $55 if he can't get it working properly.

Especially considering they're charging however much extra per-month to provide that second STB.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

warwick5s posted:

They still should be able to just mail another STB to a customer that's confident he can set it up himself, and then charge the $55 if he can't get it working properly.

Especially considering they're charging however much extra per-month to provide that second STB.

The problem with that is that most customers will be confident that they can set it up themselves because they think the signal is just like cable TV in that hey can just plug that fucker up to any ol' cable jack and it'll work. That just isn't the case since if a jack wasn't wire to run Uverse during the initial install, 98% of the time, it won't. When we set up a house, we only hook the runs of coax into the splitter that are going to have set top boxes connected to them. Our splitters are a very specific kind of splitter and just about the only splitters that will work with Uverse. When we wire a house with 4 TVs, it'll get a 4 way splitter, a 2 TV will get a 2 way splitter (Unless a box is connected with ethernet), the point being that when we install a splitter in a house, there will not be any open ports on that splitter for the customer to DIY. Even in a rare occasion where there is an open port (5 TVs on a 6 way since we don't carry 5 way splitters), the customer is pretty unlikely to be equipped to identify which cable is going where unless he's blessed with a one story house with a basement with unfinished ceilings. On top of that there is the fact that you need to make sure that there are no other splitters, barrel connections, as well as replace all of the wall plates and crimp on coax ends between the splitter and the new location of the STB otherwise there will be problems down the road even if it works right now.

It's just way too easy to gently caress up unless you know what you're doing. There aren't going to be a lot of people who's additional set top box is going to be as simple as sticking one end of a Cat5 into the Gateway and the other end into the STB.

rekk1ess
Aug 21, 2005
I am reckless even when not drunk. Watch out!

I have Fiber from U-Verse in Florida in an older apartment building. I love the consistent connection and I actually get slightly more upload than previously stated. I am on 12 Mbps. I get, most of the time, almost 2 Mbps up.

Here are the things that I hate though:
1) The rebate takes forever to come.
2) I need a drat aplifier.

I am paying for 12 Mbps but really getting about 8. I could be connected weird but I am positive its that the fiber lines run in the street but not in the building. I am sure it might be different in other areas but in mine.

None the less I had 6 Mbps DSL from ATT before I switched with the phone line and I would never go back.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Eh, the rebate was fine for me. Came exactly when they said it would. After 30 days of having service they sent me a note to log in and apply for the rebate, and like 2 weeks later, I had my $350.

I'm still annoyed at the whole HDMI sync thing. I should dig out my component cables.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Panthrax posted:

Eh, the rebate was fine for me. Came exactly when they said it would. After 30 days of having service they sent me a note to log in and apply for the rebate, and like 2 weeks later, I had my $350.

I'm still annoyed at the whole HDMI sync thing. I should dig out my component cables.

A lot of TVs look better with component cables, even in HD

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Yeah, but the backside of my TV looks horrible enough with power, network and 4 HDMI cables. A set of component+audio is even worse. Oh, well. I'll get around to it sometime.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

rekk1ess posted:

I have Fiber from U-Verse in Florida in an older apartment building. I love the consistent connection and I actually get slightly more upload than previously stated. I am on 12 Mbps. I get, most of the time, almost 2 Mbps up.

Here are the things that I hate though:
1) The rebate takes forever to come.
2) I need a drat aplifier.

I am paying for 12 Mbps but really getting about 8. I could be connected weird but I am positive its that the fiber lines run in the street but not in the building. I am sure it might be different in other areas but in mine.

None the less I had 6 Mbps DSL from ATT before I switched with the phone line and I would never go back.

Are you connected through wireless, PlugLink, or a direct hard to the router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Directional digging contraption rolled down our boulevard last week installing new lines, I got confirmation it's for U-Verse. North and East of me have had it for a while, I'm pretty excited to get some modern speed. The DSL I have now is the slowest internet I've had since '95 and the rest of my current options are just as wretched.

«36 »