Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Lagman posted:

32Mb profiles will support 3 HD and 1 SD at once, 25Mb will do 2HD and 2SD, and a 19Mb profile will support only 1 HD and 3 SD. Three HD streams may not be available as it's still not standard everywhere.

I think the 32mb profile supports 25mbit down for internet as well. You can actually request their techs to upgrade your profile but whether the 25mbit plan is available or not isn't something you can request for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Randuin posted:

I think the 32mb profile supports 25mbit down for internet as well. You can actually request their techs to upgrade your profile but whether the 25mbit plan is available or not isn't something you can request for some reason

I want to say that the profile refers to bandwidth dedicated to TV alone, because when we take our initial readings from the side of the house, There's a max user line rate that is usually a good bit higher than the 19/25/32mb. I'll see if I can get some confirmation on that.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Randuin posted:

Usually, the profile gets set as high as it can go without being unstable, but that's not to say that I haven't gotten to a customer's house with 4 52 inch HDTVs and found a 19M profile with numbers that would easily support a 25M. Usually they have the outside guys do the profile changes, but in this case, I gave Tier 2 a call athe agent saw that the numbers did in fact look awesome, and upped the profile without a second thought.

fleshweasel
Aug 23, 2004

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

We just upgraded to U-Verse at the house I'm staying at in Berkeley, CA and it's complete poo poo. We signed up for "up to 6mbps download" and after several days of downtime while we struggled with the installation, we wound up with virtually no speed increase over the previous DSL connection--about 1.3mbps.

Nija
Mar 1, 2003
F A C K

fleshweasel posted:

We just upgraded to U-Verse at the house I'm staying at in Berkeley, CA and it's complete poo poo. We signed up for "up to 6mbps download" and after several days of downtime while we struggled with the installation, we wound up with virtually no speed increase over the previous DSL connection--about 1.3mbps.

Look into unwired if you're in Berkeley - $50 for 3 up/down. http://unwiredltd.com/

I've had uverse for nearly 2 years over in Concord and I love it. The TV boxes are pretty great - I have no ping issues but I have the 18mbit package, perhaps that has something to do with it? (I never thought so, but whatever.)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

fleshweasel posted:

Has to be the wiring in your house. How far are you from your VRAD?

fleshweasel
Aug 23, 2004

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Heard we're over 2 miles from the nearest fiber node. Don't know if that's what you're asking.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

fleshweasel posted:

Heard we're over 2 miles from the nearest fiber node. Don't know if that's what you're asking.

Have something similar to this around your block? That's a VRAD that takes in the fiber and then goes through copper lines to your house.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Lagman posted:

Usually, the profile gets set as high as it can go without being unstable, but that's not to say that I haven't gotten to a customer's house with 4 52 inch HDTVs and found a 19M profile with numbers that would easily support a 25M. Usually they have the outside guys do the profile changes, but in this case, I gave Tier 2 a call athe agent saw that the numbers did in fact look awesome, and upped the profile without a second thought.

Is there a way to request agents to take a look and see if we can get the 25mb Internet plan? I did end up emailing someone to upgrade the profile on the modem to 32mbit but he said he won't know if 25mb will be available or not.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fleshweasel posted:

Stay on supports rear end until they get it fixed. Don't be afraid to escalate or ask for a senior technician. Unfortunately with a company the size of AT&T's there some really great techs and there's some mediocre ones. You just have to stick it out until you get a good one.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Any word on ATT getting AMC HD? I want my Breaking Bad in HD, damnit.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was in the next few months. We've noticed them adding channels here and there without a lot of fanfare - Cartoon Network HD, etc.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

tonelok posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was in the next few months. We've noticed them adding channels here and there without a lot of fanfare - Cartoon Network HD, etc.

WHOA, what, what? When did that happen.

*scans EPG*

Edit: Holy poo poo, it exists.

Edit 2: Chowder looks amazing.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah, I was channel surfing the other night and came across Clone Wars in HD and I was kind of stunned. There's no telling what else has been added.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

tonelok posted:

Yeah, I was channel surfing the other night and came across Clone Wars in HD and I was kind of stunned. There's no telling what else has been added.

Still no BBC America HD. Been waiting for that too.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Panthrax posted:

Any word on ATT getting AMC HD? I want my Breaking Bad in HD, damnit.

We don't even have AMC in SD here

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

We don't even have AMC in SD here

I don't care about you. It's all about me, damnit!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Just went through my second U-Verse install this weekend. Dudes were totally cool with running the service drop where I wanted it in the garage to where the wall mount rack is going, though I'll have to re-wire it to run inside the wall instead of up the wall and in through the soffit. They were at my house for all of 45 minutes getting everything terminated and provisioned. Probably made their day that they didn't have to run any drops inside the house other than the service jack. Even got another 8-port gigabit switch out of the install.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

If you are watching TV with U-Verse, does it eat up your Internet bandwidth?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

echobucket posted:

TV does have priority over internet when it comes to bandwidth, but in most instances you won't touch it unless you're using all 4 TV streams (2 HD/2 SD, 1 more HD stream if you have the newer profile). Even at that point, it's negligible you're losing much of your speed.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

echobucket posted:

Only if you subscribe to the highest possible internet speeds and you're maxing out your TV streams, ie: 2 HD and 2 SD. But generally no.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

They say I'm a madman...
But I'm not mad
at anybody

Honest, I'm not.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Only if you subscribe to the highest possible internet speeds and you're maxing out your TV streams, ie: 2 HD and 2 SD. But generally no.

Even with my TV streams maxed out, I still get 6 Mbps when I speed test. That's more than enough for anything I want to do.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Even with my TV streams maxed out, I still get 6 Mbps when I speed test. That's more than enough for anything I want to do.

Yeah, it's not going to make a difference unless you subscribe to 18 or 24meg internet as well as maxing out all your TV streams.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Does ATT have any plans of rolling out Uverse on Long Island, NY? A quick google search suggests its not even available in NY at all

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does ATT have any plans of rolling out Uverse on Long Island, NY? A quick google search suggests its not even available in NY at all

Isn't that Verizon territory? I don't think AT&T has a wireline LOB anywhere up there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

skipdogg posted:

Isn't that Verizon territory? I don't think AT&T has a wireline LOB anywhere up there.

Yeah, its verizon territory. They've been rolling out FIOS here for awhile now.

I wasnt aware that ATT wouldnt have the capability/wasnt allowed to roll out UVERSE here heh

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

mcsuede posted:

I hate this thread. U-Verse is on the north side of town but not on the south side where I live yet and my DSL is wretched. Only cable provider is the horrible Charter. drat you all.

Charter's never seemed to bad to me, as far as telecom's go. And they just started offering 60Mbit service here, so, well,

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, its verizon territory. They've been rolling out FIOS here for awhile now.

I wasnt aware that ATT wouldnt have the capability/wasnt allowed to roll out UVERSE here heh

I love uverse and I'll trade you my uverse for your FIOS availability any day.

I wonder when we'll hear more about the Xbox 360 / U-Verse connectivity...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

sellouts posted:

Huh? Problem with Xbox Live or something? My 360 works fine on U-Verse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh? Problem with Xbox Live or something? My 360 works fine on U-Verse.

No, they're gonna let you use a 360 as your "cable box" for U-Verse. Pretty awesome idea, and I'm glad Microsoft is finally getting a major TV provider to use Mediaroom.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

fishmech posted:

No, they're gonna let you use a 360 as your "cable box" for U-Verse. Pretty awesome idea, and I'm glad Microsoft is finally getting a major TV provider to use Mediaroom.

Cool! Very impressive and actually feels like a natural fit. MS has been putting their foot forward trying to make a the 360 your main multimedia portal. Adding TV service just makes it sweeter.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Is it strange that I'm a glorified cable guy who doesn't subscribe to any TV services?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

sellouts posted:

Well, due to my local cable company (cablevision) being jackasses; i can get FIOS Internet and Phone but no TV (there in court over the TV thing apparently)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Looks like you'll be able to watch DVR recordings from your iPhone or other smartphone soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/...r-recordings-o/

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, due to my local cable company (cablevision) being jackasses; i can get FIOS Internet and Phone but no TV (there in court over the TV thing apparently)

I wonder if they have any position other than "But we don't want to compete with anyone!"

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

I thought I was crazy, but sometimes websites don't load or just lag/freeze. If I hit reload, it usually clears up.

Turns out I'm not even close to being alone:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22...ading~start=140

I'll have to check later if I got the 6.x update to my router. You can also partially fix it by hardcoding your DNS settings, but it's still a problem with Mac users and 2Wire routers.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

tonelok posted:

I thought I was crazy, but sometimes websites don't load or just lag/freeze. If I hit reload, it usually clears up.

Turns out I'm not even close to being alone:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22...ading~start=140

I'll have to check later if I got the 6.x update to my router. You can also partially fix it by hardcoding your DNS settings, but it's still a problem with Mac users and 2Wire routers.

I have the DNS hardset on my PC, but my wife's is sent out by DHCP. On more than one occasion she hasn't been able to access anything due to DNS problems, when I don't even notice a problem at all. I've got the new 6.x update, and it hasn't happened since then, as far as we're aware.

EDIT: Also, in the 10 days since I got the update, my uncorrected blocks has gone waaaaaaaaaaay down.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

I don't have the update yet - not in my area.

It was never a big issue so I never really put any effort into finding out a solution - didn't have problems with games or Skype, just the occasional website not loading temporarily. Had it been a problem across the board - losing Skype connectivity, etc., then I would have noticed.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

When I go to click "upgrade options" for the router, it still says it's not available - definitely on a regional or state/city-by-city basis.

My software version is 5.29.135.47

6.x introduced some new UI and a bunch of fixes for Mac users plus console gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

They don't allow you to upgrade the software yourself, it's pushed remotely.

«36 »