Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Does anyone else's DVR drop audio for ~1 second every minute or so? Mine does and it drives me up the loving wall. Searching around the Internet reveals that this is a pretty widespread issue. Some say that the Cisco brand DVRs fix it (mine is a Motorola) but others say it doesn't. Does anyone have a fix for this or something I can try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CoasterMaster posted:

Does anyone else's DVR drop audio for ~1 second every minute or so? Mine does and it drives me up the loving wall. Searching around the Internet reveals that this is a pretty widespread issue. Some say that the Cisco brand DVRs fix it (mine is a Motorola) but others say it doesn't. Does anyone have a fix for this or something I can try?

I've never ever noticed this at all. What's your setup like?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

skipdogg posted:

I've never ever noticed this at all. What's your setup like?

DVR connected via HDMI to my A/V Receiver (Onkyo HT-R670) which is connected via HDMI to my TV. My other devices connected to the receiver all work fine and don't drop audio.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CoasterMaster posted:

Yeah, it happens to me too. I haven't found any fix. Also, it seems to happen on some channels but not others.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Have you tried another type of connection, such as component for video and optical/coaxial for audio?? Both the Motorola and Cisco U-Verse boxes have issues with HDMI and some devices.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

24 Mbps U-Verse Now Available Everywhere

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...erywhere-107613

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

24 Mbps U-Verse Now Available Everywhere

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...erywhere-107613

drat, and I haven't been able to get Speedtest.net to pull higher than about 15M

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

tonelok posted:

I thought I was crazy, but sometimes websites don't load or just lag/freeze. If I hit reload, it usually clears up.

Turns out I'm not even close to being alone:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22...ading~start=140

I'll have to check later if I got the 6.x update to my router. You can also partially fix it by hardcoding your DNS settings, but it's still a problem with Mac users and 2Wire routers.

I thought I was crazy too -- I'm so "glad" to hear this. My Xbox 360 sometimes freezes / lags too so if this update really fixes everything it's going to make UVerse perfect for me.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Lagman posted:

drat, and I haven't been able to get Speedtest.net to pull higher than about 15M

Reading that, it looks like they will likely have to run a second copper pair to pull it off. This would have been the deciding factor to get me to move over if I still lived where I used to. I'm only roughly 5 miles away from where I used to live but I basically moved from a yuppie upper middle class area to a predominantly mexican area. Even if at&t keeps expanding I doubt it will be here anytime soon.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

I'm still at the older firmware/software, but I see this on mine when I look at the router:

quote:

Broadband Link
Connection Speed:
Incoming: 32200 kbps
Outgoing: 5040 kbps

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

tonelok posted:

I'm still at the older firmware/software, but I see this on mine when I look at the router:

I've had that for the past 2 months. Been waiting for them to allow me to upgrade to the next tier.

Edit: Just put in my upgrade request, supposed to be done in 4 hours. We'll see when I get home.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's a special too, instead of 10 bucks more a month for the upgrade, it's 5 bucks more for 6 months.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2010 around 00:38

Nathan Wind
Nov 10, 2003
starring NATHAN WIND as COCHESE

CoasterMaster posted:

DVR connected via HDMI to my A/V Receiver (Onkyo HT-R670) which is connected via HDMI to my TV. My other devices connected to the receiver all work fine and don't drop audio.

This is from using HDMI. After having this problem for two weeks I had an installer tell me not to use HDMI and just use Componnent, he even gave me two sets of cables free. I have never had the problem since.

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

I tried talking with ATT customer service today about getting UVerse. I am only interested in the internet service portion (Not the TV or voice). They stated that I had to order it with at least two services even if I payed the $150 installation fee.

Has anyone had an internet service only Uverse install? I suppose I could order both TV and Internet and then cancel the TV service after a month.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

I ordered TV and Internet but dropped TV after 6 months or so. Not sure if they let me drop it because i had been on it for 6 months or not.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

cycleback posted:

I tried talking with ATT customer service today about getting UVerse. I am only interested in the internet service portion (Not the TV or voice). They stated that I had to order it with at least two services even if I payed the $150 installation fee.

Has anyone had an internet service only Uverse install? I suppose I could order both TV and Internet and then cancel the TV service after a month.

That is horse poo poo, the door-to-door cock suckers pull the same poo poo. Basically, the door-to-door guys get a comission which equals half of the customer's first month's bill. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone sales guys were up to this, too. It is a tactic that I suggest to people to avoid the $150 installation fee by signing up for internet and a low end TV package, then cancelling it after the first month. Those sales guys are used car salesmen, every drat one of them. Save yourself the run around with the shady sales division and just sign up through the ATT web site. Keep in mind that AT&T isn't making anyone sign contracts, so you can tell them to go piss up a rope when ever you please.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

tonelok posted:

My internet just went down for about 5 minutes and something told me not to gently caress with the router, and here we go:

Version 6.1.9.24-enh.tm

Looks like it has decent error tracking, a shitload of diagnostics tools, and a lot more options in general plus a new interface.

What made them get off their asses and really improve the interface and start offering a lot better speeds?

It's almost like they decided to give the techies all the tools they could want plus try and make it accessible for non-techies

The thing that gets me about this - I was a Time Warner/Roadrunner customer for well over 10 years, one of the first in my area to be in the "Early Bird" Roadrunner trials, and I've seen better service from AT&T in the past 9 months than I saw from Time Warner in the past 9 years (and it's cheaper for me than TW/RR). They bump up the speeds for a fairly cheap price, and they keep adding HD channels. It's not what I expected - I expected about the same as I had with TW/RR.

tonelok fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2010 around 07:49

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

I haven't gotten the new firmware yet but I did get the new 24mb internet profile. 3mbit up is godly

(But it's still no FIOS )

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

I saw posted in one of these threads a self proclaimed "u-verse expert" claiming that it's virtually impossible for anyone to have under 80ms ping with u-verse service, which in my experience is complete bullshit because I regularly get under 30ms pings to game servers and 9ms ping in a server yesterday, the lowest there. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that half of u-verse subscribers are on the old dsl technology?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

He's referring to the fact that u-verse uses interleaving which will add latency depending on a number of circumstances. If your connection is FTTP then this does not apply to you. FTTP is pretty rare on u-verse unless you are in a new area.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

tonelok posted:

What made them get off their asses and really improve the interface and start offering a lot better speeds?

It's almost like they decided to give the techies all the tools they could want plus try and make it accessible for non-techies

With phone companies starting to offer TV service, and cable companies offering phone service, I do believe we're starting to see something known as "competition", a bizarre phenomenon in which the consumer actually has a choice of two or more companies to do business with. This often results in those companies each working to provide a better service at a lower price than the others.

A couple weeks ago, Charter bumped my internet tier from 10/1 to 16/2; the 15/2 that used to be the highest tier is now 25/3, and they added a 60mbit tier on top of that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

They say I'm a madman...
But I'm not mad
at anybody

Honest, I'm not.

For anybody that gets the premium channels, check your On Demand - Premium section. They added Showtime, Starz and Encore in HD. They have over 50 HD movies up between the three along with most of Showtime's shows (they have the complete Tudors and Nurse Jackie series up)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

My Charter connection just got bumped to 16mb.

My ATT DSL has been unreliable from the start. They finally ran a new walljack to the box on the side of the house, total distance 3 feet, and I'm still having connection issues and only seeing speeds of 4mb at times instead of 6. Generally the connection is unstable so it doesn't matter how fast it is. Upload is horrible on home DSL too. 768kbs!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Antigen v2.0 posted:

I saw posted in one of these threads a self proclaimed "u-verse expert" claiming that it's virtually impossible for anyone to have under 80ms ping with u-verse service, which in my experience is complete bullshit because I regularly get under 30ms pings to game servers and 9ms ping in a server yesterday, the lowest there. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that half of u-verse subscribers are on the old dsl technology?

That was probably me. And Ryokurin is dead on. When U-Verse first came out all these "HARDCORE UBER L33T" gamers had a loving poo poo fit they couldn't get 20 or 30 ms pings to their game servers like they could on old fastpath ADSL.

I have U-Verse via FTTP at home and my pings are stupid low, but they were much higher on copper at my old place. I never saw anything in the 80's really, mostly mid 60's, but interleaving does indeed have an effect on the pings. AT&T won't generally troubleshoot anything if your ping is sub 100.

Lots of folks got pissed when they upgraded from ADSL to VDSL/U-Verse over this, and cutting them back to ADSL from VDSL is practically impossible.

Hell there's a thread about it posted about it just a couple days ago on BBR

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24...-hop-ping-times

There's also a sticky over there talking about it.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D

Fastpath regular DSL is still superior for gaming
code:
C:\>ping he.net

Pinging he.net [216.218.186.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.218.186.2: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=59
Reply from 216.218.186.2: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 216.218.186.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 7ms
As for real world usage, I ping about 10~13ms to a nearby quake3 server.

I posted about this few pages back actually. It's pretty common to have 7~9ms ping if you have a high enough upload (684kb) on fastpath. 30~40ms to the first hop (not the router/gateway) is the usual latency for uverse interelaved line, 80ms is a bit too high though, maybe the guy is just far away.

Granted, it means poo poo all for most people who aren't coke-addicted twitch-aiming gamers. But it would've been nicer for them to give each user the option between more throughput or lower latency, just like what they did for the regular adsl.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2010 around 18:32

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

Lagman posted:

That is horse poo poo, the door-to-door cock suckers pull the same poo poo. Basically, the door-to-door guys get a comission which equals half of the customer's first month's bill. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone sales guys were up to this, too. It is a tactic that I suggest to people to avoid the $150 installation fee by signing up for internet and a low end TV package, then cancelling it after the first month. Those sales guys are used car salesmen, every drat one of them. Save yourself the run around with the shady sales division and just sign up through the ATT web site. Keep in mind that AT&T isn't making anyone sign contracts, so you can tell them to go piss up a rope when ever you please.

Did you get the run around when you tried to cancel your TV portion of the package?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Just got upgraded to the latest firmware on the RG, indianapolis area.

How nice of them to do the update right when I have to vpn in to deal with an on-call issue.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Oh my god...

I see that AT&T is rolling out ADSL2/2+ IP-DSLAMs in the COs that service U-Verse areas for the customers who can't yet get U-Verse, but it looks like they're only offering ADSL1 speeds. I realize that this is probably to avoid competing with their own service, but since those customers can't get U-Verse anyway, I wonder why they don't offer a higher tier, like 8/1 or 10/1 just to grab some customers away from cable. I'd probably jump over if the price was right.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

SamDabbers posted:

I see that AT&T is rolling out ADSL2/2+ IP-DSLAMs in the COs that service U-Verse areas for the customers who can't yet get U-Verse, but it looks like they're only offering ADSL1 speeds. I realize that this is probably to avoid competing with their own service, but since those customers can't get U-Verse anyway, I wonder why they don't offer a higher tier, like 8/1 or 10/1 just to grab some customers away from cable. I'd probably jump over if the price was right.

It's an issue with PSC or tariffs in a lot of places, any change in service has to be approved even if it's something better and sometimes that can take a while. I'm not for sure if uverse has the same restrictions but I do remember hearing often that the other two were a major reason why it takes a while for them to increase speeds.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Web pages, etc., were still slow on loading, so I switched back to Google's DNS and now it flies, go figure.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

tonelok posted:

Web pages, etc., were still slow on loading, so I switched back to Google's DNS and now it flies, go figure.

Yeah, I never use ISP provided DNS. Been on OpenDNS for forever.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

I'm not getting the time-outs on websites that I was before the router firmware upgrade. I was using Google's DNS before the upgrade, and still getting time-outs on websites.

tonelok fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2010 around 07:55

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Ein Bier Bitte

This service just became available for me and my only question is what's the best way to sign up to get these huge rebates people are talking about. The best I can figure so far is getting out of the signup fee.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

Aquila posted:

This service just became available for me and my only question is what's the best way to sign up to get these huge rebates people are talking about. The best I can figure so far is getting out of the signup fee.

I originally ordered online when they had a hefty rebate offer going on. You could see it from the website itself and the customer service confirmed it. Might want to give them a call and ask.

Even for ordering online, I got my rebate checks fairly quickly.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

How does one get the 3 HD streams at a time? Is there anything special I need to do? I've got the new software on the RG, and I'm pretty sure I've got the higher speed profile or whatever it is, but couldn't watch something while 2 things were recording.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Panthrax posted:

How does one get the 3 HD streams at a time? Is there anything special I need to do? I've got the new software on the RG, and I'm pretty sure I've got the higher speed profile or whatever it is, but couldn't watch something while 2 things were recording.

This is some crazy limitation of the main DVR box right now. You can get 3 HD streams into the house, but the DVR can't handle it. I have 3HD streams at home, I can record 2 things on the DVR but to watch the 3rd I have to go to a different HDTV.

I can record 2 things in the living room and watch a 3rd stream on my bedroom TV, but I can't watch the 3rd stream in the living room. The 3rd stream has to go to a non DVR STB

I'm not sure what the limiting factor is, or even if they plan on addressing it right now.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Oh, well, that's lame. Worthless to me then.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Is there a good way to get a second set-top box without having to pay for the installer to come out? A second TV just got added but it seems like a technician fee needs to be paid - any ideas?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

qutius posted:

Is there a good way to get a second set-top box without having to pay for the installer to come out? A second TV just got added but it seems like a technician fee needs to be paid - any ideas?

My understanding is there is no way around the charge, but I've heard of people getting billing or customer service to credit the bill the amount of the service call.

As of right now there's no way to just FedEx you a STB.

Krispy Kareem
Jul 26, 2002

Ugh, I come back from Spring Break and my kid's got 19 episodes of Full House. Has anybody heard anything about being able to cap the number of episodes recorded for any one show in the season pass? Every DVR I've ever used gives me that option except for U-Verse.

This is really annoying for those basic cable channels like Disney that suddenly decide to run a Hannah Montana marathon weekend and I end up having to delete 10 shows a day. God help me if it happens on a HD channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

qutius posted:

Lagman posted:

Most of us installers will go out of our way not to charge people unless they're just dicks. I'd say to fabricate a problem to call customer support (Pull one of the wires out from the modular jack in the wall going to the RG or something), have them send a tech out to fix said problem, then while they are there ask about adding another set top box. Tech gets a quick repair which looks good on his efficiency numbers plus $7 for a P2R referral for the set top box.

«36 »