Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ugh, I come back from Spring Break and my kid's got 19 episodes of Full House. Has anybody heard anything about being able to cap the number of episodes recorded for any one show in the season pass? Every DVR I've ever used gives me that option except for U-Verse.

This is really annoying for those basic cable channels like Disney that suddenly decide to run a Hannah Montana marathon weekend and I end up having to delete 10 shows a day. God help me if it happens on a HD channel.
I was going to say make sure they aren't using HD.

What capacity is your PVR? The newer ones do like 65 hours of HD or 233 hours of SD. That's what I have and it's pretty hard to even get near %10 left.

Also, when you get down to around %10 or less, it will start deleting shows that are not protected as "delete when I erase". You have two flags on the shows (and series recordings) - "delete when I erase" or "delete when space is needed" - I'm doing a lovely job of phrasing that, but if you go in and look at the shows you'll see.

Shows that are already recorded, you have to set the flag manually. For future series recording, I believe you can toggle the series to "delete when space is needed" and you can just tell your kids that if they don't watch their shows, they'll go away when they record new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

I may be moving to an area with U-Verse service. I don't know much about it but I'm assuming you have to use ATT's router or can it be turned into a dumb bridge so I can let my router handle it? I don't need or want the TV or VOIP side of things, just a plain really fast internet connection.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I may be moving to an area with U-Verse service. I don't know much about it but I'm assuming you have to use ATT's router or can it be turned into a dumb bridge so I can let my router handle it? I don't need or want the TV or VOIP side of things, just a plain really fast internet connection.

You have to put your router on the Residental Gateway's DMZ for it to work. It's a simple process, there's probably a guide to do so somewhere. You'll also want to disable the wireless on it as well if your router already does it.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You have to put your router on the Residental Gateway's DMZ for it to work. It's a simple process, there's probably a guide to do so somewhere. You'll also want to disable the wireless on it as well if your router already does it.

Yeah that won't work for me. I need pure bridge mode. Could I purchase my own VDSL2 compatible modem and use that?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Nope. Have to use AT&T's equipment.

I think it's because it's not a "standard" VDSL2 setup.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Yeah that won't work for me. I need pure bridge mode.

What won't work with this setup? Basically, all this "DMZ-Plus" mode as it's called all traffic gets shuffled to whatever you configure. It's basically as though it's not even there, and my router behind it has no problems with anything.

Here's the docs for the "DMZ-Plus" thing:

quote:

Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) - Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the "Allow individual applications" feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

thedavid posted:

What won't work with this setup? Basically, all this "DMZ-Plus" mode as it's called all traffic gets shuffled to whatever you configure. It's basically as though it's not even there, and my router behind it has no problems with anything.

Here's the docs for the "DMZ-Plus" thing:

I'm not fond of having a routing device sitting in front of another routing device, especially if one is more or less a "black box". It adds more problems than it's worth when you're trying to figure out whats going on if something is broken. Plus I just do not want to deal with any additional overhead or performance loss from having an unneeded device on the network.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I'm not fond of having a routing device sitting in front of another routing device, especially if one is more or less a "black box". It adds more problems than it's worth when you're trying to figure out whats going on if something is broken. Plus I just do not want to deal with any additional overhead or performance loss from having an unneeded device on the network.

I have mine set up exactly as described (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with Tomato behind the AT&T 2wire RG in DMZplus mode, wireless turned off on the RG), and it works perfectly with no performance degradation that I can see relative to using the wireless or ethernet connections directly off the RG. In fact, a lot of applications perform better with this setup, I'm assuming because Tomato doesn't choke on high connection counts the way the 2wire can. Also, UPnP now works, which is something the 2wire doesn't support, and made all my home networking for things like streaming work perfectly again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Nope. Have to use AT&T's equipment.

I think it's because it's not a "standard" VDSL2 setup.

Without getting too much into it, there's no user names or passwords in any of the gateway authentication. It's all certificate based. Obviously a 3rd party modem won't have AT&T signed certificates that will work with the back end authentication system.

The VDSL system is normal Alcatel Lucent 7330, it's a standard signal, and any VDSL2 modem will pick up on it, but it'll fail to get anywhere since it can't authenticate.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

tonelok posted:

My internet just went down for about 5 minutes and something told me not to gently caress with the router, and here we go:

Version 6.1.9.24-enh.tm

Looks like it has decent error tracking, a shitload of diagnostics tools, and a lot more options in general plus a new interface.

Since that looks like a 2wire box, check out <RG>/management or <RG>/mdc, wonder if the 2wire MDC is still there from the old days, generally has a lot more information than the dumbed down customer visible one.

Krispy Kareem
Jul 26, 2002

tonelok posted:

I was going to say make sure they aren't using HD.

What capacity is your PVR? The newer ones do like 65 hours of HD or 233 hours of SD. That's what I have and it's pretty hard to even get near %10 left.

Also, when you get down to around %10 or less, it will start deleting shows that are not protected as "delete when I erase". You have two flags on the shows (and series recordings) - "delete when I erase" or "delete when space is needed" - I'm doing a lovely job of phrasing that, but if you go in and look at the shows you'll see.

Shows that are already recorded, you have to set the flag manually. For future series recording, I believe you can toggle the series to "delete when space is needed" and you can just tell your kids that if they don't watch their shows, they'll go away when they record new ones.

Yeah, I've tried protecting stuff in the past, but like this last week I forgot to tag a bunch of content and lost all of my unwatched episodes of Spartacus in favor of scores of Disney shows.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

ragzilla posted:

Since that looks like a 2wire box, check out <RG>/management or <RG>/mdc, wonder if the 2wire MDC is still there from the old days, generally has a lot more information than the dumbed down customer visible one.
I'll check it when I get a chance, but is that because it is running FreeBSD?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

tonelok posted:

I'll check it when I get a chance, but is that because it is running FreeBSD?

Yeah, they used to have a management UI which had a superset of the settings available through the regular UI (and it's also the UI a remote tech will see if they log into the RG remotely through 2wire's remote control system), plus it had some other things of occasional interest like the system log.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They totally changed the layout in the 6.x firmware. All the information is still there, just in different areas. Supposed to be more user friendly now. /mdc will just give you a 404 on the new firmware.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

I have one tv device plugged in over cat5 that never has issues, but my two boxes that are plugged in over coax seem to have horrible sporadic video issues. Stuttering, total video freezing, audio desyncing.

When I went into my homepna statistics on the 2write shows Rx Errors at 60% for those devices and the physical rate for those boxes is downgraded to 4 and 16 Mbps.

Support is telling me that I just need to reset my gateway every week to keep it working, that's seems pretty absurd to me. It seems to be a fairly obvious coax issue, which is lame since this house is only a few years old so the coax should still be in good shape.

Anyone else run into issues like this over coax, does the gateway resetting actually help or do I need to keep bitching to support until they rewrite my house with cat5 as I've heard they will do?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Is there any way to find out if/when uVerse will be rolling out to a particular area? The house I'm looking at buying is in an area that can only get AT&T DSL, and after years of 10Mbps cable, I'm not keen on going back to 3Mbps.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I have one tv device plugged in over cat5 that never has issues, but my two boxes that are plugged in over coax seem to have horrible sporadic video issues. Stuttering, total video freezing, audio desyncing.

When I went into my homepna statistics on the 2write shows Rx Errors at 60% for those devices and the physical rate for those boxes is downgraded to 4 and 16 Mbps.

Support is telling me that I just need to reset my gateway every week to keep it working, that's seems pretty absurd to me. It seems to be a fairly obvious coax issue, which is lame since this house is only a few years old so the coax should still be in good shape.

Anyone else run into issues like this over coax, does the gateway resetting actually help or do I need to keep bitching to support until they rewrite my house with cat5 as I've heard they will do?

Call support back, tell them resetting the gateway doesn't fix it anymore, and ask them to dispatch someone to check the wiring. The guy should at least re terminate the coax, and maybe run cat 5. HPNA is very picky about the coax terminations, they have to be done right.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

skipdogg posted:

Call support back, tell them resetting the gateway doesn't fix it anymore, and ask them to dispatch someone to check the wiring. The guy should at least re terminate the coax, and maybe run cat 5. HPNA is very picky about the coax terminations, they have to be done right.

Pretty much this. Odds are it's either bad coax ends, a barrel connector/splitter somewhere in the line, cheap coax (Just about anything from Radio Shack is garbage), or a bad RG. We did have a run of RGs with terrible, terrible HPNA numbers, it sounds like this one may be one of them. Also, most of the coax that comes in houses is crap. Usually it's thin rear end RG-59 with mediocre shielding and ends crimped on with a pair pliers, especially these days with the price of copper.

If they swap out the RG, make sure that you have something playing on the receiver when he does his quality test. It also sounds like you got a lazy rear end support tech. We deal with these assholes everyday, and sometimes the best course of action is to just hang up, call back, and hope you get someone useful.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

ragzilla posted:

Unfortunately with the new RG update, /MDC is a thing of the past =(

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

fatman1683 posted:

Is there any way to find out if/when uVerse will be rolling out to a particular area?

You could just keep calling and calling until AT&T gets fed up with you calling and finally drops it in just for you and nobody else in the neighborhood when they are doing the neighborhood down the street. Apparently worked for the previous owners of my house!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

When I was looking for an apartment last year, I actively drove around the area looking for VRADs. Yes, I wanted U-Verse so bad that I chose the current apartment I live in purely for U-Verse. The bonus is that the place is actually nice and the management is pretty good too.

My apartment is ~350 ft. from the VRAD out front on the sidewalk.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Heh. I chose my current apartment because it DIDN'T have a contract with Time Warner. That's almost the same, right?

Luckily, it did have WoW and later found out U-Verse, so I was pretty happy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Settin' the world on
FIRE!

Panthrax posted:

Heh. I chose my current apartment because it DIDN'T have a contract with Time Warner. That's almost the same, right?

I think they have a contract with Time Warner too, because when I first signed on for living there they were lightly pushing it, insofar as to give me a flyer with their account manager to get the apartment rate. A brief no is all it took then they told me what other options they had.

Looking around my place, I see satellites bolted into the buildings.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

It looks like I'm going to be moving to a new house. Which means I'm going to be half as far from the same VRAD. Going from ~2900 feet to ~1500 feet. Hopefully I'll be able to get the new 3HD/1SD profile, and maybe even 24MB internet.

Wooo!

Now all I have to figure out how to do is easily wire up the 400sqft detached workshop for internet/uverse.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

It looks like I'm going to be moving to a new house. Which means I'm going to be half as far from the same VRAD. Going from ~2900 feet to ~1500 feet. Hopefully I'll be able to get the new 3HD/1SD profile, and maybe even 24MB internet.

Wooo!

Now all I have to figure out how to do is easily wire up the 400sqft detached workshop for internet/uverse.

Figure out what your frost line is at, dig trench (deeper than frost line) between house/workshop and bury PVC conduit.

You can also get direct burial cat5e, but conduit makes it easier to pull out (or add more stuff) later.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

ragzilla posted:

Figure out what your frost line is at, dig trench (deeper than frost line) between house/workshop and bury PVC conduit.

You can also get direct burial cat5e, but conduit makes it easier to pull out (or add more stuff) later.

What's a frost line? (I live along the Alabama Gulf Coast. Burying it above the water table is more of a concern here)

I've thought of the conduit or direct bury route, and I'd really rather not since it's a good 150+ feet. Might end up going the aerial route with one cat5 and one RG6. But, I've got two WRT-54G(L)s available, so I might just buy a couple antennas and do a wireless shot. Probably be the cheapest option.

Of course, I think the shop power is off a breaker on the house, so I MIGHT be able to get away with powerline networking.

Epikhigh
Apr 4, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What's a frost line? (I live along the Alabama Gulf Coast. Burying it above the water table is more of a concern here)

I've thought of the conduit or direct bury route, and I'd really rather not since it's a good 150+ feet. Might end up going the aerial route with one cat5 and one RG6. But, I've got two WRT-54G(L)s available, so I might just buy a couple antennas and do a wireless shot. Probably be the cheapest option.

Of course, I think the shop power is off a breaker on the house, so I MIGHT be able to get away with powerline networking.

I would seriously use wired networking in this case, as opposed to wireless. I vote for the burying PVC piping with the cable ran through it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Epikhigh posted:

I would seriously use wired networking in this case, as opposed to wireless. I vote for the burying PVC piping with the cable ran through it.

You wanna rent the trencher for me?

I think I'm going aerial. There's a tree in the yard I can use as a midpoint, and I can get all the equipment I need from work. Might even use fiber if I can find some de-installed 100mbit media converters.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Might even use fiber if I can find some de-installed 100mbit media converters.

This would be a much better method than Cat5 since if you do an aerial copper segment you need to worry about lightning protection, unless you like waking up to find every device connected to your Ethernet is now fried.

Assuming you're not equipped to terminate it, base cable price $642.29 (might be cheaper places around, first hit on Google) for a 150ft 6ct 62.5/125 with messenger.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

I've got access to free/cheap bulk fiber and a termination kit, so no need to buy pre-terminated assemblies.

yage0832
Aug 19, 2004

Got a question for those that have U-Verse. I'm moving the gateway from a room that does not have a cable box to a room that does.

I only have one coax outlet in the room. What is the installation process? Do I just get a coax splitter? Or is there an easier way?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

yage0832 posted:

Got a question for those that have U-Verse. I'm moving the gateway from a room that does not have a cable box to a room that does.

I only have one coax outlet in the room. What is the installation process? Do I just get a coax splitter? Or is there an easier way?

Connect the STB to an ethernet port on the gateway.

You may need to rewire your splitter as well, the VDSL signal if coming in over coax, only goes to one of the lines of coax IIRC.

AmericanCitizen
Nov 25, 2003

I am the ass-kickin clown that'll twist you like a balloon animal. I will beat your head against this bumper until the airbags deploy.

yage0832 posted:

I've never used the coax on my U-Verse gateway, but I think that the modem's coax port is just to uplink the modem into the "coax network" that exists in your house so that it can talk to the receivers that are trying to reach it over coax.

I'd connect the box in the same room with a regular network cord to one of the ports on the gateway and hook the gateway to the coax jack in that room so that it can continue to reach other coax-connected tuner boxes in the house.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

yage0832 posted:

Putting a coax splitter there will cause everything to not work.

If you have a twisted pair Home Run (Phone lines or Cat5) to the Gateway, you'll have to find the splitter and identify which cable is going directly to the new room and swap that with the cable that's connected to the 'In' port on the splitter.

If you have a Coax Home Run, then you'll have to take that cable that's going directly into the new room and switch it with the cable that's connected to the Diplexer (Looks like a splitter, but it has 3 ports on it that say HPNA, Combined, and VDSL) where it says 'Combined'.

Then hook up the set top box on ethernet.

If you have no idea what any of that means, you may want to have them send a tech out.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Fully half (if not more) of my service-impacting tech support call drivers are HPNA related. Take that however you will...

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

VectorSigma posted:

Fully half (if not more) of my service-impacting tech support call drivers are HPNA related. Take that however you will...

I'd say the other half is equipment failures

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Lagman posted:

I'd say the other half is equipment failures

Tits, the house I'm buying has got the Uverse. Now I get to wire the gently caress out of it with Cat5.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Lagman posted:

Tits, the house I'm buying has got the Uverse. Now I get to wire the gently caress out of it with Cat5.

I did cat-6.

Firefold.com has some inexpensive wall mount network racks, though their patch panels suck tbqh. The installers were pretty amused at the whole thing, and happy that they didn't have to spend hours wiring the place up when I already had it done.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

devmd01 posted:

I did cat-6.

Firefold.com has some inexpensive wall mount network racks, though their patch panels suck tbqh. The installers were pretty amused at the whole thing, and happy that they didn't have to spend hours wiring the place up when I already had it done.

I get as much Cat5E and 8 port switches as I want from work, and I can still do gigabit through Cat5E. Although, I have serious doubts that I'll need nearly that much bandwidth any time soon.

As far as the racks go, the master bedroom actually already had a wall mounted shelf that I've got reserved as the hub for this whole thing. I'm still debating wall mounting my TV, since I think it'll look kinda retarded sitting flush on the wall with 3 foot tall, 12 inch deep main speakers on either side of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

We're moving into a new apartment and we're looking at internet service. I saw that U-Verse is available in Knoxville, but when I put the address of the new apt it says that U-Verse isn't available. I would have normally thought that it wouldn't work, but some other (3rd party) site said that we could get it. Is there a chance that the AT&T Site is wrong? Is it worth going into one of the retail stores and asking or can I not get it if the website says I can't get it?

«36 »