Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Kind of a weird question, but does the DVR only record 3-4 shows per day of something? I've got it recording everything of one any day, any time, first run or repeat, and it only records 3 or 4 eps a day. It's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

Panthrax posted:

Kind of a weird question, but does the DVR only record 3-4 shows per day of something? I've got it recording everything of one any day, any time, first run or repeat, and it only records 3 or 4 eps a day. It's pretty annoying.

This hasn't been my experience. In fact, I wish there was a way to stop it from recording more than X episodes of a show in a day, other than stopping it from recording reruns. More than once, a marathon of a show (mythbusters, for example) has completely taken over the DVR.

You might have some other conflicts. Use the web interface and see if there are any conflicts when you schedule more programs.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

There isn't. I was watching two back to back eps on live TV and nothing else was recording.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Panthrax posted:

There isn't. I was watching two back to back eps on live TV and nothing else was recording.

Were the episodes on different channels, by any chance? If so, I'm pretty sure you'd have to set it to record for each channel

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Nope, I even checked that specifically thinking I was retarded.

Edit: Just checked the online DVR scheduling thing, and it's completely skipping, for instance, the new eps on Sunday at 9pm or whatever. I created a new series schedule, and it seems to have taken correctly in addition to all the other ones.

Panthrax fucked around with this message at May 3, 2010 around 18:34

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I don't get why U-Verse isn't offered in my area. I can get both Dish and AT&T DSL. But I can't get U-Verse. Anybody else have the same problem?

Boo This Man fucked around with this message at May 3, 2010 around 19:02

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ask me about nerfing your paladin!

Is it possible (or even desirable) to get a wired network connection out of your DVR? I have WirelessN running but I'd rather avoid cutouts when streaming video off my server in the other room. I'd run some wires around my house but

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Lum_ posted:

Is it possible (or even desirable) to get a wired network connection out of your DVR? I have WirelessN running but I'd rather avoid cutouts when streaming video off my server in the other room. I'd run some wires around my house but

Did you get one on the new RGs that's running Wireless N, or are you running some crazy setup of your own devising?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Boo This Man posted:

I don't get why U-Verse isn't offered in my area. I can get both Dish and AT&T DSL. But I can't get U-Verse. Anybody else have the same problem?

U-Verse requires specialized equipment (VRADs) to be installed at all POTS crossboxes in your area, as well as fiber to be run to each crossbox. This is a fairly slow process, and is not available in all areas yet.

Where do you live?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Lum_ posted:

If your STB is connected to the RG via coax, then yes, you should be able to piggyback off the ethernet port on the STB.

I've got the XBox 360 in my bedroom connected to the network this way.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Harokey posted:

We're moving into a new apartment and we're looking at internet service. I saw that U-Verse is available in Knoxville, but when I put the address of the new apt it says that U-Verse isn't available. I would have normally thought that it wouldn't work, but some other (3rd party) site said that we could get it. Is there a chance that the AT&T Site is wrong? Is it worth going into one of the retail stores and asking or can I not get it if the website says I can't get it?

I'd say it is worth a phone call even if to get more accurate info on if/when the service will be available at your address.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Lagman posted:

Did you get one on the new RGs that's running Wireless N, or are you running some crazy setup of your own devising?

Crazy setup of my own devising (ie an Airport running alongside the RG). I already had it, so just turned off the RG's wireless after it was installed. Works fine.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If your STB is connected to the RG via coax, then yes, you should be able to piggyback off the ethernet port on the STB.

Woo, thanks! That's exactly the setup I have (well, living room instead of bedroom).

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Jesus, I didn't know that, that could come in handy. Especially for wiring up consoles that are right next to the TV

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lagman posted:

Jesus, I didn't know that, that could come in handy. Especially for wiring up consoles that are right next to the TV

It works, but last I heard it's not "an officially supported configuration". I'm way out of the loop on the tech support side of things though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

skipdogg posted:

It works, but last I heard it's not "an officially supported configuration". I'm way out of the loop on the tech support side of things though.

Yeah, it's not officially supported, so if it stops working you might be out of luck. You won't receive support from AT&T for that configuration.

Krispy Kareem
Jul 26, 2002

Lagman posted:

Yeah, that trick saved me a whole lot of trouble when setting up Xbox after they finally hooked up my U-Verse Voice.

Which is cool, because now every room with a TV now has an ethernet port if the need arises.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Just as an update I set it up and it worked spectacularly. Hope AT&T doesn't break it later!

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

U-Verse requires specialized equipment (VRADs) to be installed at all POTS crossboxes in your area, as well as fiber to be run to each crossbox. This is a fairly slow process, and is not available in all areas yet.

Where do you live?

I live in a town 30 minutes outside of Oklahoma City.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

qutius posted:

I'd say it is worth a phone call even if to get more accurate info on if/when the service will be available at your address.

Welp, we can't get it and they couldn't tell me if/when i'd be able to.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Had some idiot contractors out back yesterday afternoon working on burying some new comcast cable, and coincidentally my uverse service dropped out as soon as they opened up the service box. I yelled at them, but they left without doing poo poo or calling anybody.

I called uverse support at 6pm last night, they had a tech out at 8am this morning, it was fixed by 8:10.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

How does the "whole-house dvr" connect? Do you need a coax outlet for every set-top box, or is it possible to rig up some sort of wireless-network bridge? I have a TV in a bad spot for cabling

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dromio posted:

How does the "whole-house dvr" connect? Do you need a coax outlet for every set-top box, or is it possible to rig up some sort of wireless-network bridge? I have a TV in a bad spot for cabling

Well everything in the house is IP based right, so it can be ethernet, coax/hpna, powerbridge or wireless. Wireless is tricky, it's possible, but no performance guarantees.

Honestly, if you get the service just have the tech run a line for you. It might cost an extra 55 bucks (or whatever the going rate for it is), but that's pretty cheap.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

skipdogg posted:

Honestly, if you get the service just have the tech run a line for you. It might cost an extra 55 bucks (or whatever the going rate for it is), but that's pretty cheap.

I went through the "just have a technician run a line for you" with comcast. Three different techs "teams" came out, all decided they couldn't do it. I don't think it's impossible-- it'll probably just require tearing a whole lot of stuff up that they don't want to deal with.

Of course I'll try again when they send out the installers, but my hopes for that working are pretty low.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Dromio posted:

We had the AT&T technician do it and there was a promotion at the time so we got it for free - he wired up three rooms. I only wish I had gotten an extra set-top box though, because it will cost me $55 to get one, regardless of the fact that the room is already wired for it.

As for the "whole-house dvr" bit, we have a DVR in the living room, and we can watch anything on that DVR in any room that has one of the set-top boxes (they aren't DVRs - just receivers). We can also be watching live television on the set-top box in another room and if we want to, we can tell it to record the show (or any show we see in the guide) on the living room DVR.

If you've got an iPhone, AT&T is working on an app that allow you to watch stuff from your DVR on it. There's also an AT&T app for the iPhone where you can check what was already recorded and what is scheduled to be recorded, and you can delete shows or schedule new shows. Like say you're out and about and you remember some show you want to watch - you can program it remotely through your iPhone.

You can also do that remotely through the web interface as well. I have no idea if they plan on letting people watch stuff on the DVR through a web interface - probably not.

U-Verse is pretty slick if you are in the right area. It was a huge step up from Time Warner for us, but it was also cheaper.

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Dromio posted:

Wait a bit for them to come out with the new RGs, then you can get a wireless set top box

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

Lagman posted:

Wait a bit for them to come out with the new RGs, then you can get a wireless set top box

Considering how terrible the wireless in the RG is (due to a variety of factors), I loving hope not. They've been doing some testing in some markets, and the results haven't been ideal.

There's been talk of wireless STBs for about a year in the company, and everyone in the support/prem tech departments dread it. And it probably won't happen any time soon.

Also:

Panthrax posted:

The most likely answer to your question involves video streams. You only have 4 at any given time, which makes primetime difficult. Maybe 2 are HD, maybe 1 is HD, you'll have to call in to ask. If those streams are in use, nothing else will record/display, if it's HD.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at May 9, 2010 around 04:54

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Geekkake posted:

Considering how terrible the wireless in the RG is (due to a variety of factors), I loving hope not. They've been doing some testing in some markets, and the results haven't been ideal.

There's been talk of wireless STBs for about a year in the company, and everyone in the support/prem tech departments dread it. And it probably won't happen any time soon.

Also:

The most likely answer to your question involves video streams. You only have 4 at any given time, which makes primetime difficult. Maybe 2 are HD, maybe 1 is HD, you'll have to call in to ask. If those streams are in use, nothing else will record/display, if it's HD.

You sir, are a mad man. I have nothing but positive things to say about the wireless on the RG, it's one of the few things on the drat RG that we don't have many issues with. The range is excellent, the only time we have trouble with the wireless is when we try to connect with one of those god-awful 2Wire wireless USB pieces of garbage. Thankfully we just got a load of the Netopia USB sticks which seem to work a lot better. Now the thing with the wireless STBs is that they are supposed to be used as a last resort/there's no way in hell that I can run a cable there. Provided it's not too horrifically far away from the RG, it should be fine. It would mainly be used for apartments whose cable splitters are locked away in a Charter/Brighthouse/Comcast box on the outside that we can't get to, or where there's nothing but cheap rear end RG59 that won't take a signal worth a drat. Most of the techs at our garage are more worried about the prospect of AT&T being able to mail out an RG and a few wireless STBs to a customer and being able to install it themselves thereby taking us Prem Techs out of the equation.

We were told about two weeks ago that we should be getting the new RGs/wireless STBs in the next months, but we've pretty much translated that to "in the next 3-4 months. Worst case scenario, they don't work worth a drat, and we still wire everything up like we did before. Also, there is now hope for you guys who want VOIP but don't have grounded outlets. We just got in a few pallets of two prong battery backups, but I don't know how they got around not being grounded while putting voltage on the phone lines.

Now the real thing that we are dreading is the iNID and pair bonding (Using two pairs of wiring to get the VDSL signal to the house for increased speed), now THAT is the seeds of a fuster cluck right there.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Cooler Than They Are

I got my U-verse hooked up a week ago, and it's been a HUGE improvement over my old Charter service. I'm about 1500 feet from the VRAD so I got the 3HD / 1SD profile with the Cisco DVRs and it's been really nice.

When I moved into my house I ripped out about 2.5 old coax setups (one of which used antenna wire ) and wired /signal-tested the whole house with new RG6 and CAT5e. The installer was at the house and gone in about an hour.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

Lagman posted:

You sir, are a mad man. I have nothing but positive things to say about the wireless on the RG

It's the number one call driver in customer-facing Tier 2, unfortunately, and that's not just user incompetence. I agree the Netopia transition has definitely helped, but there's still serious reliability issues.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

They say I'm a madman...
But I'm not mad
at anybody

Honest, I'm not.

Anybody else have problems with recorded programs having a multiple skips or is my DVR hosed?

I have no problems with live TV.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Question for the techs here in the know:

I just moved to a new place and can't get U-Verse here. I miss the U-Verse service I had at the old house, and I really miss paying a lot less for it than Charter.

The very next neighborhood over to me (half a mile away) was one of the launch neighborhoods in St Louis nearly 3 years ago, but I still can't get it here. My neighborhood is 100+ years old (although my place dates to the 1920s) and the wiring is ancient enough that I don't even have a NID attached to the house.

With how old the wiring is around here, what are the odds I'll ever see U-Verse any time soon unless they just pull fiber straight to my door?

My promo rate with Charter is ridiculous enough; I hate their service and DVR hardware and want to switch away as soon as is humanly possible. But that promo will rate expire in a few months and I'm 99% sure that unless I want to pay "rack rate" I'll have to agree to a 2 year contract. If U-Verse is absolutely going to be out of the question, I'll just get the 2 year contract and build a Windows Media Center box rather than paying $30+/month to Charter to rent some unbelievably crappy DVRs.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at May 9, 2010 around 17:13

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Stop in at the local ATT branch office and quiz them on their deployment schedule, see if you're up anytime soon. Make sure they know how extremely interested you are.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Anybody else have problems with recorded programs having a multiple skips or is my DVR hosed?

I have no problems with live TV.

That definitely sounds like a DVR issue. Does it happen on the DVR only, or on one or all of your other STBs when watching a recording? If it's only one or two of the other STBs, it's probably an HPNA issue.

Nostratic
Apr 5, 2003

I need you to be focused.

I'd called sales this morning to get my address validated for U-Verse, and they said they'd send the techs out to check it out. We have Dish Network for TV and Comcast for internet, but I was curious to see if it was even available here in my part of Houston.

I just walked out to get the mail, and remembered AT&T doing a bunch of work just across the street from our house last year in conjunction with the city putting in some new water lines. So I sauntered over to find a nice humming VRAD about 50 yards from my house

I'm curious to try it out; I've been with Dish Network for almost 10 years, and really the only reason I'm considering changing is because of the two gigantic trees in the back yard that have to be hacked back by pro tree trimmers every year to keep the signal strong.

Internet-wise, Comcast hasn't been terrible, and I just speedtested this:

What do you guys think?

Lagman
Apr 27, 2006
I am the lizard queen!

Nostratic posted:

I'd called sales this morning to get my address validated for U-Verse, and they said they'd send the techs out to check it out. We have Dish Network for TV and Comcast for internet, but I was curious to see if it was even available here in my part of Houston.

I just walked out to get the mail, and remembered AT&T doing a bunch of work just across the street from our house last year in conjunction with the city putting in some new water lines. So I sauntered over to find a nice humming VRAD about 50 yards from my house

I'm curious to try it out; I've been with Dish Network for almost 10 years, and really the only reason I'm considering changing is because of the two gigantic trees in the back yard that have to be hacked back by pro tree trimmers every year to keep the signal strong.

Internet-wise, Comcast hasn't been terrible, and I just speedtested this:

What do you guys think?

I'm going to say that I'm going to laugh if it turns out that you're at the end of the loop, despite being 50 yards away from it. I've seen it happen before

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Still waiting on the VRADs to go up in my neighborhood, though I'm hearing June. Nice side affect of the new wiring though: my ATT DSL speeds have nearly doubled and are much more stable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

They say I'm a madman...
But I'm not mad
at anybody

Honest, I'm not.

Geekkake posted:

That definitely sounds like a DVR issue. Does it happen on the DVR only, or on one or all of your other STBs when watching a recording? If it's only one or two of the other STBs, it's probably an HPNA issue.

It happens when watching a recording in any part of the house but it also skips in the same place each time. Guess I'll call AT&T and see if they will replace my DVR.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Sporadic posted:

It happens when watching a recording in any part of the house but it also skips in the same place each time. Guess I'll call AT&T and see if they will replace my DVR.

Try forcing a Disaster Recovery first. Hold [OK] and [Down Arrow] on the DVR while removing and replacing the power cable until a screen with a gear and a progress bar appears. This will cause a format of the hard drive, so you will lose all recordings. Support will most likely advise this step before dispatching a tech, anyhow.

Nostratic
Apr 5, 2003

I need you to be focused.

Lagman posted:

I'm going to say that I'm going to laugh if it turns out that you're at the end of the loop, despite being 50 yards away from it. I've seen it happen before

With my lack of luck, I wouldn't be surprised, either. There are two others equidistant from this closest one, though, so hopefully that won't be the case.

Hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormin Mormon
Nov 12, 2003

"Stormin'" since 1999
Mormon since 2005

VectorSigma posted:

Try forcing a Disaster Recovery first. Hold [OK] and [Down Arrow] on the DVR while removing and replacing the power cable until a screen with a gear and a progress bar appears. This will cause a format of the hard drive, so you will lose all recordings. Support will most likely advise this step before dispatching a tech, anyhow.

I have had the DVR skipping problem myself alot and just recently I had the box freeze up when I hit the guide button. It reset itself, went to a screen with 3 dots and then after unplugging and cycling everything it went to the one gear screen, after an hour and a half, finally hit two gears and I gave up and went to bed. Woke up this morning to a two dot red X.

Did the OK+Down reset before I left for work and of course lost my all of my DVR recordings, but things are back up and running for now I guess. Sad that I lost the recordings I was planning on watching this weekend. We will see if it still is working when I get home from work.

I fear I screwed something up while moving the router and boxes around when redecorating the living room and unplugged the power to the router accidentally while wiring everything back up. The only other change is I changed from coax to HDMI last week. Anyone else have similar issues? Would the change of video cables cause anything?

«36 »