Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«166 »
Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BLOWING 10MM GLOCKS

also .38 super is more fun than .357 SIG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

also .38 super is more fun than .357 SIG

Maybe, but the .357 is easier to find in stores (and that's saying something!) and all other things being equal it feeds more reliably, especially under adverse condition. Necked rimless > straight-walled semi-rimmed.

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005

by XyloJW

Think I'm gonna stick to .40 or 9mm....For funsies I looked up the differences between the three and ran across a bunch of weird dudes talking about tissue damage so I decided to quit the internet for awhile. Had the private instruction today, was unbelievably cheap. Dude only charged 30 bucks for almost 2 hours which I think is his hourly rate. What really helped in seeing how bad I was jerking the trigger was when he loaded random dummy rounds into magazines. Definitely going to be a hard habit to break but I learned a ton, shooting improved greatly and will stay there as long as I keep practicing and remember the poo poo he taught me. Don't yell at me please, Sigs are great but....I think I like my Glock 17 more

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

Glocks are perfectly fine, and so is 9mm.

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005

by XyloJW

infrared35 posted:

Glocks are perfectly fine, and so is 9mm.

Yeah, just surprised I like the Glock so much more, especially since I don't like "double action"(ok I know its not exactly double action) and it was like 300 bucks less than the Sig. Still might try to do what Kommie said and trade the 229 + cash for a 229 or 226 in 9.

On that note, does anyone else find it weird that field stripping Sigs and Glock is like 95% the same? God its so easy I love it

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

Got a quick question for any Sig 522 owners, how well and where should I lube my 522? I've shot about 2k rounds through it and am just wondering if I should lube it a ton, or not as much.

Leaning towards not as much since .22 is dirty as hell, but I'd prefer to know what I ought to do.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

moker posted:

On that note, does anyone else find it weird that field stripping Sigs and Glock is like 95% the same? God its so easy I love it

Field stripping 95% of modern pistols is 95% the same. John Browning kind of killed innovation in pistol development by stumbling upon things that are really effective.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

moker posted:

Think I'm gonna stick to .40 or 9mm....For funsies I looked up the differences between the three and ran across a bunch of weird dudes talking about tissue damage so I decided to quit the internet for awhile. Had the private instruction today, was unbelievably cheap. Dude only charged 30 bucks for almost 2 hours which I think is his hourly rate. What really helped in seeing how bad I was jerking the trigger was when he loaded random dummy rounds into magazines. Definitely going to be a hard habit to break but I learned a ton, shooting improved greatly and will stay there as long as I keep practicing and remember the poo poo he taught me. Don't yell at me please, Sigs are great but....I think I like my Glock 17 more

You already own a G17? it makes sense to keep your guns in one caliber, saves money.

I only own glock 9mms

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005

by XyloJW

^Yeah, I'm an idiot. 3 pistols, 3 calibers. Definitely should just go with 9 and .45, nothing else matters ( )

televiper posted:

Field stripping 95% of modern pistols is 95% the same. John Browning kind of killed innovation in pistol development by stumbling upon things that are really effective.

Ah, the only other pistol I have is a 1911 and comparatively the Sig and Glock seem crazy alike

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

moker posted:

Ah, the only other pistol I have is a 1911 and comparatively the Sig and Glock seem crazy alike

Yeah, by the time you get to the Hi-Power (another [largely] JMB design, completed in 1935) you remove the barrel bushing and short-guide rod business that the 1911 has and you've got a gun that operates and disassembles like many modern guns. The only thing about the Hi-Power that you don't see much anymore is that it uses multiple small barrel lugs (like the 1911 also has) to lock the barrel and slide together, today you're much much more likely to see one big lug that happens to coincide with the chamber and ejection port.

e: also, I guess I can't think of another gun that uses the Hi-Power's fire control mechanism, but as far as general assembly goes, yeah, pretty modern.

televiper fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2012 around 04:57

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005

by XyloJW

Got rid of the .40 229 today and bought this lil guy: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226.aspx in 9mm with night sights

Sucked having to pay the difference but I at least got 10% knocked off for a couple of tiny scratches on the slide so at least it was slightly less than $Texas

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

moker posted:

Got rid of the .40 229 today and bought this lil guy: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226.aspx in 9mm with night sights

Sucked having to pay the difference but I at least got 10% knocked off for a couple of tiny scratches on the slide so at least it was slightly less than $Texas

was it new or used?

Older 226s are awesome. I dunno why but hte ones that say "Made in W. Germany" always speak to me in some evil, seductive tone that says "buy me for no reaaaason"

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005

by XyloJW

Kommienzuspadt posted:

was it new or used?

Older 226s are awesome. I dunno why but hte ones that say "Made in W. Germany" always speak to me in some evil, seductive tone that says "buy me for no reaaaason"

It was new, I really like the texture of the new grips and it was pretty much the exact Sig I wanted. As far as I can tell they put the E2 grips on all new Sigs now, is this true? It was the display model so it had like 2 1/4" scratches in the slide that were barely noticeable, got it for $900 which is a pretty decent price according to the sites I've checked especially since I didn't have to pay a transfer fee or shipping. I ended up selling the 229 for only $500 though , too stubborn to gently caress with gunbroker or a private sale.

A German made older 226 would be awesome but I can't get over my obsession with only buying new poo poo

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2012 around 02:03

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

moker posted:

It was new, I really like the texture of the new grips and it was pretty much the exact Sig I wanted. It was the display model so it had like 2 1/4" scratches in the slide that were barely noticeable, got it for $900 which is a pretty decent price according to the sites I've checked especially since I didn't have to pay a transfer fee or shipping. I ended up selling the 229 for only $500 though , too stubborn to gently caress with gunbroker or a private sale.

A German made older 226 would be awesome but I can't get over my obsession with only buying new poo poo

Old guns are a great deal. I highly recommend that you look at used pistols for your next purchase.

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005

by XyloJW

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Old guns are a great deal. I highly recommend that you look at used pistols for your next purchase.

Yeah you're right and I definitely need to get over it. This is probably my last purchase for a good while though.

Turns out I was partially right about the E2 grips being standard(according to wikipedia):

The gun was discontinued from the P226 model lineup at the end of 2010 but the E2-style grip system has been adopted on and carried over to other P226 variants.

They definitely feel nicer than the grips on my slightly older 229

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

moker posted:

This is probably my last purchase for a good while though.

This is what we keep telling ourselves

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I know what you want. I know what you need.

How do you check on the production date on a P226?

opengl128
Sep 16, 2010

This end up

mikerock posted:

How do you check on the production date on a P226?

2 digit code under the muzzle

A-0
B-1
C-2
D-3
E-4
F-5
G-6
H-7
J-8
K-9

For example, my P228 is marked JK and is from 1989.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I know what you want. I know what you need.

Thanks, KG = 1996.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET

Does anyone here run steel cased through their 556? I can't seem to find a consensus online.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

freestyl posted:

Does anyone here run steel cased through their 556? I can't seem to find a consensus online.

I ran some through mine at the last Yooper shoot. Without adjusting the gas valve, it wouldn't cycle reliably. I never tried adjusting it, but it would probably run just fine.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

I got a stuck case with Wolf early on, but I've put probably 1000rds of steel cased through mine with no issues.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I had to set my 556 to "dirty" to get it to cycle and lock back reliably but it worked pretty well.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

TulAmmo 75 gr required "dirty" for me too. Then I got a reloading bench and never ever looked back.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET

Hmmm, guess I'll give it a shot then. Thanks guys.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Unless my gun is already filthy and/or not lubed properly, lovely steel-cased ammo (e.g., Brown Bear) has worked fine in my 556.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

My 556 runs whatever the gently caress I feed it, and I feed it the cheap stuff since it dents up the cases pretty good. Silver Bear is my favorite.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Yeah. Silver Bear does work well and is still pretty reasonably cheap, if you don't reload.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I wish this was my Sig.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

What sights did you end up getting? Because I am in the market

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

lifenomad posted:

I wish this was my Sig.

Hey you found my sig's evil twin

Angryboot fucked around with this message at Mar 6, 2012 around 06:12

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Roundboy posted:

What sights did you end up getting? Because I am in the market

I am copying the sight setup as the Sig in the picture I posted. I have the Warren Tactical rear on right now, and am waffling about purchasing the Dawson fiber optic front. I am not sure what size width and height I need.

They recommend a .180 tall sight, but I have read that others have had to get a .160 height sight to work properly. I really can't rest my Sig at my range, and have no way of scientifically knowing which height to get.

I should probably just cut the difference and get the .170 tall one

At $40 a pop, I don't want to be returning and exchanging more than once.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Angryboot posted:

Hey you found my sig's evil twin

Man, I don't know why, but for some reason, a P226 is pretty much the archetype for "handgun" in my mind. I wish I had jumped on the po-surp Sigs back when they were available.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I just installed the Short Reach Trigger, and now I cannot decide if I like it with or without the E2 grips...

Why must I continue to buy parts for you 226!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I WANT A PONY TOO

Is there any reason one should be concerned about buying one of these? One of my coworkers is looking for a P226, but doesn't want to spend $newsig

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/226_9mm.html

edit: or this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=276717158

edit edit: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=277135838

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2012 around 19:59

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there any reason one should be concerned about buying one of these? One of my coworkers is looking for a P226, but doesn't want to spend $newsig

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/226_9mm.html

edit: or this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=276717158

edit edit: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=277135838

OldSigs fuckin rule.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I WANT A PONY TOO

Agreed. I just don't know if he needs to worry about buying a clapped out one.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Agreed. I just don't know if he needs to worry about buying a clapped out one.

That's a risk you run with any old gun but you can probably get it serviced by a SIG armorer or post here to figure out what springs to swap out.

I say go fo it,w orst case scenario you can figure out what needs fixing and fix it for under 30 bucks.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

There's obviously a risk involved in buying any used gun, but my buddy and I both have well-used West German P226s; they're so well-worn that they rattle like crazy when you shake them. And they still shoot like they're new, from reliability and accuracy standpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I WANT A PONY TOO

Alright - I'll let him know.

I'm kind of digging this one though for myself: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=276712008

What are the odds that slide looks as awful in person as it does in photos?

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2012 around 00:40

«166 »