Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Shookies posted:

Randwich is the best

just wanted to quote this from the last thread

also to everyone arguing about spitter damage when you're recovering: it's never done any damage when you're getting back up, not in the demo, not before the first patch of the actual game, never ever never ever never never

never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.

Goomba posted:

Lollipop by Ben Kweller

I imagine this is Lil' Wayne cover, if so it's probably gravy

Seconding Europe's "The Final Countdown" and "Rock Me Amadeus" although no one ever seems to like the latter, maybe because it's incredibly repetitive and like seven minutes long

Here's what I've got converted in my HLDJ folder:

The Revels "Comanche"
The 21 Jump Street Theme
Chariots Of Fire
C&C Music Factory "Gonna Make You Sweat Now"
Gina G "Ooh, Ahh, Just A Little Bit"
Hall & Oates "Rich Girl" and "You Make My Dreams"
Montell Jordan ft. Silkk The Shocker "Let's Ride"
Quad City DJs "Space Jam"
Real McCoy "Runaway"
Salt N Pepa "Whatta Man"
"She's Got The Look"
Dolly Parton "9 to 5"
Flo Rida ft T-Pain "Low"
John Parr "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)"
Scissor Sisters "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'"
Spice Girls "2 Become 1" and "Wannabe"
T.I. "Bring Em Out"
Tag Team "Whoomp! There It Is"
Vomitron "Contra" (even if you have no intention of micspaming, look this up)
Whitesnake "Here I Go Again"
Starship Troopers Sndtrk "Klendathu Drop" (got the idea from that amazing goon left behind speed run video on Hard Rain)

P.S. Anyone got HLSS working for L4D2? If so please post some instructions, I hate HLDJ even though it's more advanced, I'm just used to HLSS from CSS/TF2 days

Also this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

Blarticus fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2010 around 01:21

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

ante posted:

Man, I play that poo poo on repeat.

Regularly.

Downloading now

Swilo posted:

Another major problem with HR4 is that there will never be a tank.

I've heard it's no different than for L4D, unless people are mistakenly calling HLSS as HLDJ again.

I think that's the case, I tried setting up HLSS for L4D2 every which way and can't get it to work for the life of me. I will be checking out the link that other guy posted that said it worked for him though.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Goomba posted:

I actually tried to find this song after I saw the same video. I can't find it anywhere. If you could send it to me it'd be much, much appreciated because it'd make for some awesome speedrunning music.

Post a link to your Steam profile.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

This is purely anecdotal, but it often seems that only getting two or three spawns more zombies than getting all four for some reason. I'm probably wrong but that's what it seems like sometimes. And yes I am aware of the ineffectiveness of booming people before panic events and such.

Tonight on Hard Rain 4 we actually managed to stop the survivor team right before the saferoom and I had a hilarious bug. Ellis was boomed on and swarmed by zombies, and I jockeyed him right by the saferoom door, as I pulled him towards the tree with the sign on it I was actually carrying him on top of a crowd of zombies and we were bobbing up and down as if he was crowd surfing while standing up.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Since we're going over the songs in our HLDJ folder,

I think I win

Even though I don't like you I still feel obligated to tell you about Bob Dylan's version of "Dixie" from Masked And Anonymous if you haven't heard it yet.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

i use dbpoweramp to convert, then turn the levels down in audacity, it's always worked fine for me, but then again I'm a boss, maybe you should try something thats already been converted and see if that works, if not it's just that hldj isnt functioning properly for whatever raisin

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

lwoodio posted:

Spamming the guy during snare speak is funny, but gently caress listening to lovely distorted 80's music for a 45 minute long vs. I've started just muting people.

Yeah normally I don't mind it, but most songs that people play I really only need to hear 30-45 seconds of it. It's nice when it's music that I really like and we're stomping the poo poo out of the other team, but last night when we were playing Parish and our team got buttfucked by a tank we couldn't hear coming, that sucked. If we're actually trying and playing against a decent team I'd rather hear the occasional random Billy Mays quote or whatever and still be able to hear the audio cues than listen to my most favorite song in the world ("Man In Motion (St. Elmo's Fire)") drowning everything else out

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

When I puke and then suicide to get more survivors it always seems like there's one or two guys that stay purple a little longer than the other two, even when I explode all over all four of them vv

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Sex Hobbit posted:

Anything by Electric Six would be awesome. "Down at McDonnelzzz" during the Battle for Burger Tank? Hell yes. And "Danger! High Voltage" would be great any time.

edit- Holy poo poo, I didn't even know they have songs called "Infected Girls" and "Rock and Roll Evacuation."

As the only Goon4Deader from the Detroit area I'm going to go ahead and claim Electric Six right now.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Goomba posted:

Did that happen really recently FoF? Because I'm getting that now too. I think Steam is doing maintenance again.

Also, Randwich, here's my steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Radosity

Thanks in advance

oh it's you

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Nateron posted:

Flint doesn't count? Bugger.

Also... proper zombie music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIFxArPdFY

no it counts, throw ya hands in the air for the murder mitt

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Vita posted:

What's the coaster bypass trick?

When you run underneath the coaster on the way to the button that triggers the event, you can carefully climb up the boards and get onto the coaster track without ever hitting the button. There should be some Youtube videos of it, it's kinda tricky.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

raditts posted:

The opposing team would have to be loving terrible to let you pull that off in vs.

The guy on that Youtube video starts out on the ground and is on the track 21 seconds in, if you're whole team practices it to be able to do it in less than 20 seconds it's feasible. Granted the infected team would have to be pretty terrible to all get wiped out right before they get to the panic event, even really bad teams will at least have a charger or something waiting at the top of the coaster. I'm pretty sure getting knocked off the coaster there is high enough to incap you too.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Goomba posted:

Besides, in the goon4dead group you usually end up playing with the same people over and over again which is fun, but sometimes y'just wanna meet new people.

Yeah, it seems like I play games with the same dozen or so guys pretty consistently due to our schedules, maybe if I stay at home and play zombie game instead of going out tonight I'll get a chance to jam with some different people. Though there seems to have been an influx of new people in the chat recently, people that have been playing for awhile but haven't chosen to grace us with their presence until now.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

I'm about fifteen FYAD name changes from AYN RANDWICH, but I manage to make myself known by being simultaneously charismatic and notorious.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Philosopher King posted:

"Shortcuts" are often attempted but most of the time people end up dying while trying to do them, so its not really like you feel bad when half a team makes an enormous shortcut while the other half falls to their death.

Most of them aren't that dangerous to try, but most of them aren't that big of deal.

Shortcuts I Can Think Of Off The Top Of My Head

ICP 1 - Going over the truck's tire to skip going under the overpass in the beginning, not really a big deal distance-wise, but it does skip one of the better places for the infected to attack from.

ICP Coaster - Going up the rafters and skipping it entirely. Never seen anyone pull this off, watched a few people fumble around on the rafters once before just going ahead and doing the event. Should be fairly easy to defend against if you expect it.

DC 1 - Doing the jump from the balcony into the window on the floor below, or dropping from window to window or ledge to ledge, not incredibly difficult, but incredibly unforgiving if you screw it up. Does skip going out on the ledge, but the ledge really isn't all that dangerous if you go through the very first window and climb over that crap through the fire. Regardless it's the easiest map in the game, bar HR4 or Parish 1. Also this is so early in the game that it will inspire a lot of pub teams to just quit on you.

Gay Swamp Map 2 - Skipping the plane by jumping over it. gently caress this, this event is the easiest and least imaginative event in the game, and then a survivor team just jumps over the plane and we don't even get that much?

Parish 2 - Skipping over a big chunk of the alarm event path by jumping on the gun tent. I'm pretty sure they patched this one out, I haven't seen it in a long time.

Parish 5 - Climbing up and getting onto the top portion of the bridge, where infected spawn during the finale. Would be really annoying to have someone up there blocking spawn. I've only ever seen this in videos, never had it happen in-game.

Things like, on Swamp Fever, running up the bridge before it's all the way down, not taking the stupid upstairs path at the beginning of Parish 1, or walking through the pipes on Hard Rain 2, I consider them more just taking advantage of the new maps and taking the quickest path possible.

The biggest thing that pisses me off is the bugged rescue vehicle finales. Where you think you're getting lucky getting to spawn as a tank this early in the finale event and all of a sudden the gate just explodes or Virgil teleports to Burger Tank or the helicopters landing right next to the survivors.

Edit: Forgot to mention jumping down on the shed instead of taking the Elevator on Hard Rain. Someone said something to me about it not working anymore, it was really annoying to have happen to you, especially the first time, because then when you switch teams everyone wants to try it and they just end up incapping themselves on top of a shed.

Blarticus fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2010 around 15:02

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

I think it's acceptable to ask questions about personal servers here, people just got tired of hearing about Dr. V's two sick-rear end servers that he set up. Now, Dr. V actually answering a question about a server.... that may be a grey area.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

operator error

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Swilo posted:

Try playing campaign once in a while, it's only versus that has the fixed route.

If you've verified cache and haven't installed any sound mods, it probably won't hurt. Though it will take a while!

It only takes a couple minutes unless your system is ancient, and you need to leave the console open and type quit when it reaches the end, if you don't watch the console and watch the progress bar it will just go to the end and never do anything.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

I'm friends with Ellis on Facebook and I just checked him out on Restaurant City

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Swilo posted:

If two survivors are boomed, and one is closer to the source of the zombies, pretty much no zombies will go after the farther target. The AI on commons is deliberately retarded like that.

Yeah they seem to tend to go for who they see first, and/or follow paths already blazed by the first zombies.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Swilo posted:

If that doesn't do it then the matchmaker is sucking and you should QM

qq more?

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Swilo posted:

Known problems with the matchmaker is me throwing a fit? I can't even understand how you came to that conclusion.

No I was pondering what QM stood for

edit: oh quick match probably

Blarticus fucked around with this message at Feb 1, 2010 around 17:55

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Oh my god it's giant iPhone!

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

flatluigi posted:

I'm just happy that the old survivors are going to (probably) have responses to the new special infected.

They're apparently paying for about sixteen hours of voice studio time for just the old survivors, so I certainly hope so.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

A shrubbery! posted:

The idea of the Boomer in L4D2 is not to add panic to a situation by blind + horde, but to blind the survivors so that the other specials can get a good attack in. The horde is only secondary and barely makes a dent in the survivors unless they're already seriously hurt.

You almost always opened with a boomer in L4D1, but in 2 it often pays to wait for chargers or jockeys to cause a distraction and get people close together, then after they're blinded the spitters and smokers have easy pickins

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Pistols are pretty useless in vs. You can easily kill any hoard with your bat out and keep your main weapon fully loaded encase someone gets smoked or something far off.

Yeah the only time I ever consider going with dual pistols is for the first half of DC1, it's incredibly frustrating to have a smoker on the ledge and all four survivors are carrying only melee weapons.

Mr Cuddles posted:

How does it feel to be a stereotypical angry video game nerd

Jumping over the truck tire is the most obvious and easiest shortcut in the game, I saw people using it a day or two after launch. I actually don't think I've ever played a goon versus game where we DIDN'T take it, or at least attempt to while a fourth member of our team wandered down to the jeep by the overpass and got boomed smoked and pounced simultaneously. Seriously, have someone show this to you if you don't know it, it doesn't save you much distance but it skips what can be one of the best spots for infected to attack you.

Blarticus fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2010 around 11:48

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

It's the same as any other obstacle throughout the campaigns where once you go over there's no way back, or at least no quick way back. I play on and against a lot of terrible teams so maybe that's part of it, but I've rarely had any trouble taking the shortcut, more often I've ended up getting pinned down under the overpass trying to help teammates up who wandered through spitter goo. Maybe it's just that a lot of teams ambush from there and aren't really paying attention when we're hopping over the truck tire. Hell, if your about to take the long way and manage to take out all 4 infected quickly hopping over that truck is definitely the way to go.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

The only advantage to pistols I forgot to factor in was having dual pistols when you're incapped, you can get a hunter off a teammate in a few seconds and actually have a chance of helping if there's a charger pounding another survivor nearby.

But pros don't get incapped so I guess I don't need to worry about this.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I hear ya. But why not tweak it for the people who do play Vs predominately? Like I said, I have a feeling it's the most played game mode, so why not make it balanced?

I hate to bring TF2 into this, but the weapons are constantly being tweaked to allow fair gameplay balance, why not this? If the majority of people use melee weapons over pistols because of how overpowered they are, then pistols aren't really needed anymore.

I'd say that Valve will eventually have tweaks for the different gamemodes, like the water slowdown not being present in versus.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Kuroneko posted:

The same reason that it's retarded but hilarious to use a grenade launcher and a chainsaw.

You've got long-range covered, and short-range covered, I see nothing retarded about this (at least until they give the launcher more realistic friendly fire damage)

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Dr. Octopus posted:

I've been having some issues with this so I figured I'd bounce it off of this thread. Me and my roommates have been playing Vs. a lot, we're a pretty decent team and we pubstomp fairly regularly. Every now and again there have been some good challenges, but lately we've run across teams with at least one person with what appears to be 'perma-crouched'. They seem to be perma-crouched when spectated, have better accuracy, run a little faster (maybe half or more of adrenaline speed) they seem to 'know' where infected are, on more then a few occasions during panic events hordes will not spawn (When we're survivors there seem to be double hordes), and once I saw a survivor get up after being incapped with no one around him. So these things are happening and the other team generally has a field day kicking our asses.

The other night we were playing on one of the goon servers (D-Money's?) against some pubs, and we had a tank spawn as soon as we opened the saferoom door on Dead Center 1. We didn't get one when it was our turn, luckily somebody on our team had admin and gave us a tank so it'd be fair. No one on the other team was anyone that's in G4D, so unless someone on our own team was dicking around for no reason other than to screw with our heads, then there's some weird poo poo going on. I've also seen the perma-crouched people, I'm not sure if it's a script or an actual hack, it's hard to tell with wallhacking unless it's completely blatant since now most of the people I play with have run these maps so many times we spray half a clip into a fence because we just know the boomer's spawning behind there.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Server admins can easily pick up incapped and give them full health.

Can we do this on your server? I haven't seen it in the options.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

It's generic SourceMod type stuff so I think we're safe.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Philosopher King posted:

Nevermind, you said Dead Center 1, not 5.

Yeah I've seen the tank spawn before you even get to the elevator on the atrium finale (which 4 not 5 BTW)

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

insenid posted:

Versus is always a ton more fun when both teams are better at playing infected than survivors.

This is true even if you're only considering that the games go so much faster.

Plus it gives a sense of urgency to the game and a great feeling of accomplishment when you reach the same point the other team did as survivors and you know every step you take is just extra points.

Blarticus fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2010 around 01:56

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Splash Damage posted:

Anyways, any idea if The Passing will be free or not? It's DLC after all and tons of content for TF2 was released for free.

The PC DLC is going to be free, you can take it to the bank

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Yesterday there weren't any goons on so I decided to just run through Dead Center on easy and get the melee-only achievement, surprisingly people joined me and proved that there's still really incredibly terrible players out there. SEADS was on for some reason and recorded an awesome finale where we had all the cans in for about five minutes before everyone but me managed to get incapped and get left 4 dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szcg-Zx7AmE

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

raditts posted:

Can't you just get in the car and leave behind anyone that's not there? Your pubbie compassion is admirable.

Yeah, I was at the car waiting with one other guy but then our guy on the top floor left and gave us a bot, and Edward Kohl had been dead for awhile, so I figured I'd defib him while waited for the bot to meander his way down. I assumed he (Edward) was just really new, considering I watched him get the Burning Sensation and Armory Of One achievements earlier in the campaign, so I cut him some slack. I looked him up on Steam and he only has a few hours in L4D2 but has like fifty or sixy in the first.

I'm not sure why the video got stretched like that, probably from using stupid Badaboom, but you look closely you can see me commenting along the lines of "i'm glad i revived you" and "you sound like a five year old"

averox posted:

Same rule as every finale applies. The vehicle doesn't leave until everyone is on it or everyone who isn't on it is incapacitated.

I went and defibbed a dead idiot on my team instead of just waiting for third guy to show up, while doing this a tank showed up and the guy I defibbed succeeded in getting himself incapped two more times on the way to the car, causing the aforementioned third guy, who is a bot, to go back up after his dumb rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

WardeL posted:

Just played that finale, and I know what you mean. It's very difficult to find a good place to spawn, because the shape of the arena makes it so that the survivors can see pretty much everywhere.

Solution: Add like four more towers, like the two directly across from the stage

«5 »