Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
So how about that day yesterday? I put in a short on DFS (those bastards spiked my cc rate from 4% to 30% overnight, not to mention they suck). Also, I bought Toyota around 79, maybe a bit too early however I love this company and don't mind being stuck for a while.

How's that for emotional trading? : /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
Woohoo Toyota! Let's not forget about Ford though... Anybody interested in credit card stocks right now? It seems like the big guys are doing well, however bank-attached firms like AMEX and DFS are looking like solid short opportunities.

Also, I know they're under $1, but for something that is so well known, what gives with SIRI being so low? Are they being phased out by some competitor that I don't know of?

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
TTM as in Tata or Toyota?

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

Insaint posted:

Christ it's getting pummeled today..

heheh, the beauty of trailing stops... I was out at 80 and back in around 73 :D

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

Jreedy88 posted:

On another note, does anyone else feel like shorting AAPL these days? I'm thinking the sales numbers for the iPad will be abysmal.

Do remember how incredibly crappy the first ipod was? Don't worry, there should be a newer/better/cheaper ipad coming out just as soon as all the Apple "aficionados" have all scooped up theirs. Apple not be lazy, and I'm betting the current version won't stay that way for long...

I'd need bigger cojones to short a company that made >1000% over the past decade, not to mention their hoards of cash and growing market share.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

Question about trailing sell/buy orders.

Are those good only during market hours?

I ask this because sometimes you see the price of a stock jump or drop by a good amount before or after market.

If you have an open trailing sell/buy order and if the price hits the trigger during non market hours, will it go through then on the trigger, or what?

I have a Scottrade account, havent gotten a response back yet.

This is one area of stock trading that pisses me off. Huge market changes take place overnight, just in time for stop loss orders to get filled in the morning, 60% later. The big boys make big changes at night when you can't easily fill orders.

Instead, I propose you purchase out-of-the-money "protective puts" at a tolerable price level below where your position currently stands. This way, if there's a huge unforseen loss, the option contract you bought will increase in value inversely as the stock falls below your specified strike price, and it's immune to so-called "market gap" losses.

While it may sound complex, this strategy is very simple and cheap, since the idea is for your puts to never reach exercise territory. You can sleep easy at night knowing your SIRI, AIG, and C stock is safe due to those near-the-money puts you purchased a while ago. :)

Here are a couple great places to begin reading about options if you have no clue wtf I'm talking about :
http://www.fool.com/investing/options/options-a-foolish-introduction.aspx?source=ifltnvsnv0000001
http://www.investopedia.com/university/options/default.asp

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
It's hard not to take down profits too frequently in this market. Clever journalists and wall street drama queens are too good at finding and frightening my inner child, so as a result I've changed over to buying in-the-money long term calls. This way, I can take advantage of what I see as long-term upside in companies like C and JPM without being tempted to pull the trigger every time they gain or lose 10%.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

fougera posted:

What do you all think of VZ, Reading over its SEC filings, I think its a big time buy now.

Great dividends, great long term prospects, slow but not too volatile, I'm long the shares and if you can afford 100 shares and then some it's a great stock to trade options on : ) .

Can't we adopt more of a positive money-making attitude in this thread? I feel some negative vibes, interspersed with much discussion of little known penny stocks, coming through the ether. Maybe it's just me...

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the majority of this senate hearing has absolutely nothing to do with the actual SEC fraud case and its just a witch hunt/showboating opportunity?

Am I wrong in that analysis?

Dumbass (Levin): "You're taking these things out of your inventory, selling them, all the while going short against the positions you're selling, and you don't have a problem with that?"

Blankfein: "Our intention to bet up or down on the security is irrelevant given our position as a market-maker on these deals. Our clients come to us, asking to be exposed to real estate risk, and we give them that. We make hundreds of thousands, if not millions of bets, long and short, in and out of nearly all global markets on a daily basis. "

Dumbass: "But you're betting against the thing you're trying to sell. You don't think your client deserved to know that you were going short on the very security you were selling to them?"

Blankfein: "No. Nor would they want to! When two parties bet against each other, it is the market maker's responsibility to protect each party's information regarding this type of deal."

Dumbass: "But you're selling these things from your inventory while going short on the same products!"

Blankfein: "Our position at the time was as an outlier, and if more people had been shorting the mortgage market, that would have helped prices from spiraling up in the fashion they did. Our clients didn't want to know our position, they wanted us to honestly give them exposure to a certain market, which we did."

Dumbass: "But you're shorting the very securities you're selling. Answer my question. You don't have a problem with that? You know what, you clearly aren't going to answer any of my questions, and we're running out of time, so we'll move on to senator McCain's questions..."

?!?!

I love all the analogies to car sales and sports betting. Levin is a bed-wetter of the worst variety, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't even know what the gently caress the difference is between a derivative and a stock. All this talk of "inventories" and "hanging these things out for your customers to buy" makes me sick.

I mean, its not as if this was a deal done by professionals for other professionals who not only knew what they were getting into, they specified the exact synthetic slices of this derivative pie Mr. Levin and cohort seems to think Goldman was selling. (Did you guys catch the bit about specifying synthetic mortgage debt according to peoples' mortgage lengths and their credit scores? 'Yeah, I'll take $1B of the 20-year, 600 credit score mortgage contracts.')

These derivatives are actually pretty cool in how they allow an investor to manage his risk. If the underlying entities weren't based on fraudulent information, maybe we would have had something there.

These guys were the last to participate in recession-causing funny business, they performed better than most at it, and their continued ability to provide liquidity and unbelievable banking supply all over the world remains essential. I'm looking at LEAPs on the stock.

So yes, it is one of the more shameless and ignorant witch hunts I've seen in a while. Fortunately, it seems like Goldman kept their cool and did a pretty good job of making our (bipartisan) rear end in a top hat senators look like fools.

But like anyone else, I'm mainly concerned with myself. How do we, the little retail investors, fit into this picture? I love derivatives! Should I be afraid of Uncle Sam somehow interfering with my ability to trade options and futures, assuming I cover my bets?

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
What are all you options guys doing in this market? I've been reading about how it's best to sell options and spreads in a high-volatility environment like this, however it seems that one needs ridiculous levels of shares and/or cash for margin in order to get in on that action. Any ideas for a smaller-time trader looking to play high volatility?

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

antishatter posted:

Forward p/e is calculated looking at the last several quarters earnings.

This is dead wrong. You're thinking of historical p/e. Forward p/e is based on expected future earnings, which is what the analysts expect. Hence big market moves when earnings either beat or fall short of the "expected" numbers. When the earnings change unexpectedly, the price will adjust to maintain the same basic valuation, all other influences excluded.

A high or low p/e doesn't necessarily signify good or bad. Maybe a good company trades at a premium valuation to its benchmark index because the market anticipates greater earnings growth in the future. Likewise, a low p/e could mean that earnings are falling off a cliff and future doom n' gloom is already baking into the price.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
Wow, method loser, I hope you don't live up to your namesake. As most successful traders would tell you, good trading is about proper discipline more than anything. As a 24-year-old who had 500K dumped in his lap, what makes you think you've built good decision-making discipline in your life?

Do you, or have you ever, had a job? Do you know what it is like to support yourself working for a wage? There's a reason why people don't lavish their children with small fortunes, regardless of personal wealth, and I fear you will henceforth experience the challenges of being artificially and prematurely wealthy. The salty responses you've gotten so far should provide only a small taste of the type of reaction you'll get for bragging that you made some quick cash on a lucky two week trade using money you didn't earn.

I would suggest you put that money to work with a good conservative income fund. A 3-5% return under management should provide a nice cushion that will ensure you are fed and sheltered while you make an honest life for yourself instead of gambling your father's earnings.

Take a good look at your first post and then tell us again that you weren't trying to be arrogant, duder.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
Those heroin addicts can be so emotionally volatile! ...I hope we didn't inspire an ego-beaten relapse.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
Can anybody in here make a compelling case for DELL? I'm long certain companies in the tech sector, notably AAPL and INTC, and I'm not very experienced with the sell side, so I thought I'd ask around before getting some of those tasty-looking November 13 puts.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
I've been trying to figure out credit spreads. I know there are a few experienced options traders in here, any comments would be appreciated. Some things I'm interested in learning to do better:

-How to judge whether to close a winning trade for ~.30-.50, say, or let it run out worthless. (If I let a credit spread expire worthless, will I still pay commissions? Will I get my margin on the spread back immediately at expiration?)
-How much of the bid/ask should I put in my favor when initiating or exiting a trade?

I would like to eventually build a strategy that mimics reasonably predictable risk/reward levels similar to an insurance policy, only in large liquid stocks. In short, is it better to risk $500 on a bull put/bear call spread that's worth .50, 1.00, or even 2-3.00? Is there a statistical area where certain premiums are more likely to finish out of the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

Plastic Jesus posted:

SLV is taking the most orderly, precise elevator down I've ever seen. Day 1: fail to make new high. Day2: Close on 20D EMA. Day 3: Close on Fib 23.6% retracement (which was also the uptrend line). Day 4 (today): Touch 50d SMA (where it will likely close).

The question is, what's next? :)