Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
Almost at the February low...
Another bad week or two and MVV will start looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
I'm late to the party, but I'm shorting European markets with EPV. I think there's still plenty mayhem to come -- the Euro falling to 1.10 doesn't seem like a stretch. I hope to enjoy some gains, sell, then switch over to MVV if/when that dips below $30.
I won't feel comfortable with US stocks until this BP noise is taken care of with legislation leading to the company's US exile/bankruptcy.

St00ert fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 4, 2010

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008

Jack posted:

If CRM can show that they can take a bunch of large enterprise contracts perhaps I'll change my tune, but until then what a bunch of unwarranted hype.

Total agreement here - I watched a video on CRM's website explaining the virtues of cloud computing and walked away thinking: "This business just pitched me the idea that it's going to make money by promoting the great things Google is doing with google docs and gmail?"

If I was in the CRM marketing department, I would think the first thing out of my mouth when explaining 'cloud computing' is all the loving cool poo poo my company has already created. Why even mention the products of the biggest competitor?

I would totally short CRM if I were brave and wealthy, but I also don't have the patience to wait long enough for some economic analyst to call out this bullshit business model.

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008

greasyhands posted:

BP is well past the point of trying to spin this as "not so bad", it's an outright calamity. They are trying to obscure things as much as possible now to keep everyone confused and keep the entire situation murky at best- they are doing a fantastic job of that and it's exactly what their PR team wants. You have a rather naive idea of what PRs function is for something like this- it's to cover the company's and shareholders' asses, not make the company look good.

This is BPs PR effort - http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/view/opinion/Are-Journalists-Being-Kept-From-the-Oil-Spill-3934

Link reminded me of the message control tactics of the Conservative Party of Canada.

I'm guessing the BP PR tactic is to stonewall the Geraldo Riverras and Brian Williamses until August, when access will then be granted to cover the fantastic success of the relief wells. The only reason I know the CEO's name, Tony Hayward, is because he has been nothing but a total loving douche since April 20.

I agree with the previous poster, that by employing the unemployed shrimp boaters with some boom wings or Kevin Costner technology, a positive human interest story would be available to the dailies right now. The best way to piss any reporter off is by telling them "you can't go there/shouldn't be here." Resorting to underhanded treatment of the media can only result in endless daily cycles of negative press.

In 2008, when Maple Leaf Foods was feeling the poo poo after some people died from eating cold cuts laced with listeria, the company CEO ran a TV commercial within the week, giving a heartfelt apology and promising to earn the customer's trust once again.

About a month later, the CEO took all the dailies for a tour of their warehouse to show how they ditched every piece of equipment linked to the outbreak, and demonstrated how the employees sterilize the new equipment everyday.

Anyway, The stock price went from about $11 to >$7 after the outbreak, then rebounded to ~$11 (then the recession happened and wiped out all of that goodwill and honesty). At the time, I saw that as a smart approach by a CEO - to immediately acknowledge a blatant gently caress up.

Hayward's coyness and relaxed demeanor is why I can't see BP ever rebounding back to $50-60/share.

St00ert fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 12, 2010

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
Sold TSL for a miniscule profit - I wasn't liking the extreme volatility of solar stocks and wanted out. I want to sit in cash and save up for a large cap with a decent dividend.

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
I'm enjoying minor success with BXI.TO. They have patents on a crop with a warehouse in Saskatchewan about a week away from start up, and production warehouse #2 is scheduled to open next year in Idaho with double the capacity of the Sask. location.

My use of a smug emoticon post-2012 depends entirely on whether BXI can land contracts with larger companies that want their ultra-protein supplement in energy and protein drinks and whey powders. .

What I like most is it's a new agri business in two of the best states/provinces in North America for that kind of work. However, it's still a penny stock and they haven't made any money; the stock rises on the "hopefully we make some serious cash... next year" sentiment. I look forward to what they're up to five years down the road.

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
My thoughts if inheriting 420K:invest in a large cap or three (Walmart, IBM, MMM, KO), patiently waiting to enter at the current S&P low (~1000 points)
Collect the stable dividend money, and have your piss party with Ford stock entirely from those dividend checks.
News of the next "Euro Debt crisis" or Ben Bernanke clearing his throat will poo poo all over your $5,000 win with Ford in minutes.

Please take no offense, as we're all just giving you a heads up so that this situation of privilege you've got going isn't ruined by market n00bery

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
I'm holding 132 shares of RSO and plan to sell at the best position, foregoing my dividend moneys.

RSO is going to announce its $0.25/share quarterly dividend in the next two weeks. Sometime between Sept. 27-29, that 0.25 will be taken out of the price and paid to shareholders on record on Sept 30.

When the dividend is taken out of the price, I think this'll lead to a sell-off that extends throughout October, shaving $1-$1.50 off the share price. I'm not feeling too confident about experiencing what post-dividend, October 1st and beyond may hold -- I don't want to lose $132-$200 finding out just for the sake of getting a $33 dividend payment.

My plan:
On September 23 (Thursday), I think RSO's price reaches its highest since April (~ $6.8-7.50). This is the day I plan to sell. On Sept 24, just before the weekend, I predict a big, pre-weekend market sell-off.

Am I thinking on the right page with my prediction of how a high-yield stock would react following a late-September dividend pay out, or am I totally off?

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008

ToiletLaw posted:

RSO's daily stochastic shows it very overbought. It's weekly might be turning over suggesting a limited upside trend in the next 2 weeks, which might work for you. However, I would expect a sell off as this hits some resistance in the 6.35-6.40 range. It has low volume right now, which would indicate that the price might not be going much higher. I'd say it's more likely to go down to the 6 dollar range than the 6.80 range by your targeted sell off date. I'd say do profit taking, and wait for the weekly stochastic to come back down for a new entry point.

I really appreciate your insight. I think I'll sell after the dividend is announced. I don't want to get caught when the dividend sinks the price just as every newspaper does its 'Recession: Two Years Later' story.

EDIT: My fun penny stock, BXI.TO, just produced its first canola protein extract; shares shot up 8 % :smug:

St00ert fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
I'm kicking myself for selling my stocks late September. I was so certain the markets weren't rising past 1150 (S&P500). While I pray for mayhem, I've put $1000 of canadian money into my USD cash account since both dollars are just about at parity.

That play could backfire if the canadian dollar rises to 1.1:1. I just want to be prepared for a play when/if markets go down after the midterm election, and after the US government isn't as focused or capable of juking the stats (just finished watching The Wire).

This rally seems too unexpected and not particularly authentic. But I'm still a n00b at this, so I'm probably missing some obvious reason.