Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
BP looks like it hit a rebound, think a july or august straddle would be worth it?

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ford's looking pretty good, I went long yesterday and I might go in some more tomorrow.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

loud-bob posted:

Is there any chance of this poo poo turning around anytime soon just a little or should i eject

After all the consistent bad news I can't imagine a bottom without digging a good deal deeper first.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Josh Lyman posted:

I put on some S&P shorts until we poo poo 980.

edit: Hilarious typo, gonna keep it.

GBS has pants making GBS threads, BFC has shorts making GBS threads.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm hoping it rebounds off its 200 day moving average, maybe until a 11.6 resistance?

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Proud owner of $30,000 worth of stamps

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Continued rebound tomorrow? I got some SPY calls today, I think we can at least reach a 106 resistance.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 6, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not much you can do with 19 shares, I say hold it long since selling it loses a lot to commissions.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm feeling a 5 day SMA breakthrough
E: no I'm not, feeling another day of fighting and a 102.5 close on SPY

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 7, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It looks like the middle of a short squeeze to me

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Their popups are kind of annoying and keep in mind they're more about investing rather than trading.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I almost got excited about NVDA's new PR but then I remembered they're PR department is far more skilled and consistent than their chip designers. I might miss out on a play but I'd rather be safe. They're like 40% off their April highs, jeez.

Gonna try to catch a late ride on the INTC train tomorrow.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Janin posted:

Anybody have thoughts on the current rally? I don't think it's going much higher, but am interested in more experienced opinions. Specifically, I'm thinking about exiting my NLY position -- it's looking awfully peak-y to my untrained eye.

Hope you got out in time!

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Waiting on confirmation...

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 14, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whoops, I thought maybe you were just really close or something

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a million ways we could all be rich if we knew the future.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To clarify I'm looking to short if the s&p breaks below 1080, maybe a little less, sorry about the wonk chart.

abagofcheetos posted:

Like Forever stamps :clint:

I got a whole garage full of forever stamps, gonna be a brazillionaire!

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 15, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oil cap is working? Dunno. GS is settling though! Glad I didn't try shorting S&P, things are looking crazy.

E: Goddamn it's like a wall on the charts

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 15, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Jackal posted:

we all knew the market was going to be retarded when oil was stopped due to this test.

The better question is did anyone buy before the announcement and make 5% in 5 minutes?

I bought GS halfway up and even with today's losses I'm still making 30% on options.

Stupid gamble though, gotta remember not to get caught up in the moment again.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greasyhands posted:

GOOG calls

For August I hope!

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
E misread.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 16, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Im a big dummy

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wednesday after close right? I'll be in like a sheep.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Free Gucci Mane posted:

Last quarter, someone asked to be reminded to buy NFLX before earnings. So here I am, reminding you to buy NFLX before earnings.

:smith:

$.09 over estimates and it's thrown off a cliff.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 21, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Buying it at 103 doesn't mean anything. I'd be careful of falling daggers.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 23, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Method Loser posted:

With Ford, yeah, it was, but I really like NE Noble's longterm prospects and think it's super undervalued. We'll see, though, most of whaat I have wanted to do so far but didn't have the balls has had me regretting not pulling the trigger, like shorting the hell out of Tesla the day after the IPO, but that was a no-brainer. While I'm trying my hand at medium-and long-term stuff, when I learn more, I want to get into really short term trading, since I like the idea and have the capital to make it work (maybe.) But I'm gonna hold off till I'm not a clueless bumbling newbie.

Edit: Only thing about NE that worries me is their proposed buyout of Anadarko and the attached 25% liability in the Gulf thing, but I don't know enough to fully understand the possible outcomes

I also like the concept of hedging to isolate risk from overall sector trends, and pitting company versus company, and that is the strategy I am going to research the gently caress out of next. It just seems so neato, as a risk-reducing concept.

Are you swing trading your dad's money with no experience?
If you're not you shouldn't get excited about two week gains because two weeks is nothing.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Market watch is horrible unless you're incapable of reading a chart and need to know what happened yesterday.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
First time we broke 1100 on the s&p in a while though, not holding my breath for it to last.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How about we don't turn the thread into a dick measuring contest

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

skindepth posted:

If anyones looking for serious Long term profits, all be it with some volatility, check out the European banks. LYG (brit) and AIB (irish) are my two favorites. AIB especially. They're both way down where our banks were at the bottom of the recession in the states, so I would prophecy that in about 1-2 years they'll be at around 5-10 times current levels.

Banks can go to 0, as proven by our recession. Not saying it's necessarily a bad bet but 500% to 1000% returns in two years is not without risks...

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I went through trial by fire and I lost a bunch of money and it sucked. Losing more than I was comfortable with losing was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are bulls' thoughts on the S&P? I sold off part of my position today, mostly twiddling my thumbs as it dances around in slightly overbought territory.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Silly rant by MF as AAPL breaks 260 http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/why-apple-is-in-worse-shape/424512.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 27, 2010

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's happening in the fall? The charts make it look rather beaten down and not ready for a breakout just yet. Could be by the fall though.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's not always true. If it fell more than the dividend amount every time all you need to do is short at the ex date.

Also, the only reason it falls is because people are using that strategy. If the strategy didn't work, then it wouldn't fall and the strategy would work again etc.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How does PHK maintain its distribution yield? The yield seems to be far greater than the coupon rates of the bonds it holds. Where does the money come from?

edit: it's net asset value is far lower than it's price, isn't that also odd? Shouldn't it be like giving someone $1000 and getting back something like $700 worth of bonds back? Except somehow you're getting a yield as if it were worth even more than $1000. I don't know what I'm talking about btw, if someone could explain that would be great!

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 12, 2012

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You can just use their stock screeners. I don't know if you can screen by amount of shares... you can screen by market cap though. You can even do this on google.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

idolmind86 posted:

Someone was in the thread talking about it. Not sure who it was though. I looked at it but thought it was a terrible idea. Good for me :)

abagofcheetos posted:

So, SHLD is trading at $33.33. Subtracting $5.84 per share of cash, you have $27.49 per share.

Based on some quick calculations from their 2010 annual report, Sears owns 92,580,400 square feet of store. There are currently 106,880,000 shares of SHLD outstanding.

So in essence, every share buys you .866 square feet of retail space, or put another way, buying a square foot of Sears costs $31.74.

Granted, there is a lot of debt that would basically double that per square foot price, but on the other hand, there are about a billion other assets Sears has, from their inventory to their 12 distribution centers to their headquarters to their brand equity.

This is more or less the valuation Berkowitz used to make a ton of money on the stock - his problem was he never sold it :v:

Well look at that.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 20, 2012

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
edit:
I'm really dumb and somehow missed that post

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fougera posted:

If you take the analyst estimates on Yahoo Finance, NFLX is now trading at 100X forward p/e. Earnings tomorrow, plenty of headline risk, bought some puts...

What was your strategy for this?