Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

quote:

I still don't understand the sense of urgency people have with BP. Why average-in on the way down instead of waiting for the turn? There's still a lot of selling left as hedge funds continue to unwind their positions.

People believe that even in BP's current state its still undervalued. Whose to say its not going to go up 15% tomorrow and the opportunity is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

quote:

Anyway, The stock price went from about $11 to >$7 after the outbreak, then rebounded to ~$11 (then the recession happened and wiped out all of that goodwill and honesty). At the time, I saw that as a smart approach by a CEO - to immediately acknowledge a blatant gently caress up.

This is why google is a great company. They took full responsiblity for the wifi snafu thats in the news right now. A counter example of a company who tried to cover poo poo up: Toyota.

The basic story is, if you gently caress up, own up to it and the fallout will be much less long lasting, although still as severe. Good life advice too!

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
I'd argue Tesla is considerably better than an "average" company though ... And what happens after the first month?

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

On the average, IPOs have a negative return in their first month.

edit: vvv By average, I don't mean companies with average financial statements. I mean that if you look at all first-month IPO returns, on average, they have a negative stock return. That holds regardless of whether the company is "good" and has much more to do with market sentiment and under/overvaluation by the underwriters.

So if thats the case, my followup question would be whats the upside on stocks that went up a month after their IPO? I'd bet it'd be pretty high. Recent history where I wish I had got into the (truly public) IPO - Visa and Mastercard.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

They don't make money and their current car isn't selling for crap and the next one isn't going to be out for over a year...

Because if a company doesn't make money right out of the gate, they're bound to fail, right? Not like people buy in because they think the company might have a bright future. What sense would that make?!

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Then why do you need to get in on the IPO?

Because its probably going to be the lowest price. Buy low, sell high.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
TSLA goes public tomorrow. Anyone putting money up?

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
I looked into ARMH 3 months ago and thought the PE was to high and its still going up. Sigh. I knew I should have trusted my gut.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
M&A Talk:

What are peoples thoughts about the Potash offer being to low? Think they are going to get an offer from someone other than BHP Billiton?

Intel's buyout of Mcafee, smart? I say yes but they paid way to much. Intel eventually was going to need to come up with secure desktop and mobile platforms (a la RIMM). I guess they didn't want to grow it organically or want to get a product to market quicker.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
I mentioned ARMH before and its gotten some good press recently regarding entering the data center / virtulaization market "soon". Anyone have thoughts?

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Jack posted:

Bond yields exploded today after the abysmal treasury auction.

I think the trade here is short bonds and gold. Inflation is getting hotter and yields are rising even with the fed slamming QE2 in everyones faces. Not to mention it seems like the economy is rosy as ever so why bother throwing billions into the free money tube.

For your reasons (overbought gold and us treasury bonds, QE2), I believe the dollar is going to appreciate in value. Additionally, I don't believe its been priced into the market. What do you guys think of DXDBX - Direxion Mthly Dollar Bull 2X Inv - http://www.google.com/finance?q=MUTF:DXDBX

Its a mutual fund and costs about 2% which I don't appreciate. Any other multiplied product that will get me the exposure I want?

antishock fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 17, 2010

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Gamesguy posted:

For the swing traders here, MILL is the best trading stock I've found in ages. It trades in a range between $4 at the bottom and about $6.5 at the top. It moves in this cycle every couple of months completely ignoring market conditions. I've already caught one up cycle on it(in at 4.3, out at 5.95) and it's currently in the middle of another up cycle, my entry this time is 4.54.

The main downside is liquidity. It took me three days accumulate 25k shares to avoid moving the price of the stock.

If you do decide to trade the stock, please don't spread it around.:)

Average volume is 217,548, your 24K stock isn't going to move it that much, almost negligibly.

Stock has only been listed since May of this year as well and is an oil exploration and production company. Looks like they use fracking too which is going to be blown up (something happened in PA yesterday/today) by the NIMBYs. This stock isn't above market conditions.

Just my take.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

alreadybeen posted:

Don't normally check this thread as I am pretty much a buy and hold long term index fund investor, but I am debating what to do with my company stock (ACN).

I have a pretty decent size pile of it and after our earnings yesterday it has taken off. I don't really need the cash, and if I sold it would probably just put more into my Vanguard funds. Also I assume I should sell my shares I've held to 12+months for the tax advantage?

I dumped all my ESPP shares 3 months ago at 45. Accenture hitting 50 means its broke well out of its trading range. Seriously, drop it like its hot, because it is. I love the company and its prospects going forward, but its very expensive right now IMO.

gvibes posted:

I'm of the opinion that you should hold as little of your company stock as possible. If you are fully vested I would dump it. If you both work and invest in your company, that's a lot of your financial livelihood relying on one company.

Think about the Enron people.
This is a dumb comment and heres why. ACN isn't a Bear Sterns or Goldman Sachs where the company is majority owned by its employees. Accenture's financial position is stable - listen to Bill talk and you'd know this - and do you really think after the Anderson debacle that auditing would ever be lenient on this company? The only 2 risks in their financial position are 1. being out of ireland and 2. the exposure to foreign exchange since a large chunk on their revenues are coming from overseas.

They changed their mascot from Tiger Woods to animals because they were afraid of tarnishing their name. ACN is one the most risk averse public companies I can think of.

antishock fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 19, 2010

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

gvibes posted:

This is a dumb comment and here are two reasons why:
1) I'm pretty sure that Bear Sterns and Goldman Sachs were/not majority owned by employees
2) There are other financially stable companies that alreadybeen does not happen to work for. My comment was about diversification, not about the quality of ACN as a stock or business.

But please tell me more about how their selection of a company "mascot" shows how risk-averse they are.

http://www.nceo.org/main/column.php/id/282 - 30%. Keep talking smart guy.

I gave you one example of how ACN is risk averse, but by all means, please keep telling me about a company I just left.

alreadybeen posted:

Yeah, I asked one of the board of directors who came to our project to talk about why we didn't hedge FX risk and just got some rambling non-answer about 'complicated global risk'. I still don't understand why we don't... :(
They are - listen to Pam talk about during the earnings call. Not sure who you spoke to though. They never really came around the NYC office and when they did, they kept themselves holed up in the executive suite area that you needed a special badge for. Pretty big turn off how inaccessible management was IMO. Never visited Boston or Chi offices which are supposedly bigger (we only had 2 floors in NYC, so I'd believe it).

quote:

Regarding being properly diversified - my shares are probably only 15% of my total portfolio, none of them are in my 401k/IRA, and my livelihood is not based on my ACN holdings. Honestly I am probably going to be leaving the company soon so the correlation between performance of ACN stock and income will be greatly reduced.
ESPP is a great value. I made sure I maxed it out every half year. Some of my less ... financially knowledgeable colleagues ... used to quick sell it which is silly IMO.

quote:

Antishock, I'm curious what metrics you are using to evaluate our stock as being overpriced. In general I thought when a stock broke out of a trading range that generally meant it would/could move a lot more (either up or down).
It really depends on the kind of investor you are. Momentum investors will see this as a great sign because, as you said, it broke out of its range. I'm not and my opinion:

1. I'd rather take some profit now because its at an all time high
2. A lot of the work is government based (take a look at all the open positions in the DC area) and its not going to last forever
3. A lot of the tech consulting business around app rationing and cost savings in general is going to come down because companies over downsized out of fear which hasn't really panned out (there are a lot of companies sitting on mountains of cash - see Obama's comments/business meetings late last week)
4. Markets tend to initially overreact to good and bad news and the next few days are when equities stock prices generally settle

Good luck and we'll see what happens tomorrow!

antishock fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 20, 2010

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
On the AAPL news, recall from the last earnings cycle that Cook was called out as being key to the management team and was awarded multimillions of dollars in extra compensation because he did a great job according to the board. I have no doubts in his abilities for the next two years.

Having said that I'm putting my money where my mouth is ... I bought some 2013 put options on AAPL because lets be honest, without Jobs' vision, AAPL ain't much. Plus, I see the innovation running out of AAPL's products. After iPhone/iTouch 5, I don't see much more they can pack into that device (smaller, thinner, better battery life?). Apple TV is a failure as long as the content industry continues to strongarm CE manufactures (google is in this same plight). The iPad has some legs to grow as the market continues to expand, but I still see its growth as tepid when compared to the iPhone/iTouch. iMacs are holding down the fort, but not seeing a ton of growth here.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Anyone have reasons not to hold a REIT in a ROTH IRA over a long term? Dividends not getting taxed is nice.

Specifically looking at DLR because of the tech slant and the constantly growing dividend. COR isn't paying a dividend yet, but news points to it being soonish.

antishock fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 22, 2011

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
They should have acquired some smaller, promising SSD manus instead (i.e., OCZ, maybe Sandforce). What a boring using a capital from a boring firm.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Making judgement on equities because of one metric is awfully shortsighted. Hows it been treating either of you two so far? Throw out some picks!

Also ...

quote:

A poor forward guidance on earnings day along with missing quarterly estimate even by a small amount can kill a stock like that.
Limit downside with limit orders.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
PE indicates nothing about future growth potential. In some situations, its helpful to filter via a screener to find new opportunities, but I'm not going to eliminate a company because a metric is out of whack.

I thought ARMH's PE was way off 9 months ago, but decide to pull the trigger 3 months after that when the PE was even higher and its paid off in spades. Obviously one example doesn't correlate to universal fact, but the reasoning stands that there are opportunities in companies with high PEs (as well as low PEs).

I'm going to chalk this one up to a difference of opinions.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Tossed some money into Sprint after the announcement. Heres hoping!

edit: on second thoughts I'm going to see how the market reacts, not confident enough ...

antishock fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 21, 2011

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, but I question how many of those T-Mobile subscribers will actually stick around, since they were with T-Mobile and not AT&T for a reason, and same for Sprint and Verizon. The price difference between the two is pretty severe.
VVVVVV

Agreed which is why Sprint, the only other nationwide "low cost" carrier will pick up a lot of those defecting customers.

quote:

- Nextel, or What the Hell Were They Thinking
- failed merger with T-Mobile left it holding a limp rope
- divergence from 4G standard with WiMax means less, more expensive (for them) handsets
- less attractive spectrum holdings post-auction (higher frequency, less building penetration)
- the disaster that is its relationship and majority ownership of Clearwire
- Clearwire itself, up to its nostrils in debt, losing money on its failed consumer arm of the business
Great summary. Lets look at some of these issues:
Nextel: Yes terrible acquisition/merger, but already priced into the stock.
Merge w/ TM: This would be nextel all over again. Its a good thing S didn't buy TM.
Spectrum: They can potentially transition wimax to 900 mhz and put the cdma on the 1900 like att did with 3g, but yes, an issue.
Clearwire: Can transition to LTE with a little more investment. Some smart private equity should buy CLWR for pennies on the dollar (up to their eyes in debt, sprint and the cable companies/google wont invest more) and force the change. Sell the service as a wholesaler to both vz and att as well as the regional carriers all the while realizing they are nothing more than a dumb pipe.

I think Sprint can do well if they maintain lower rates to attract tmobile customers who will defect and market their services properly. Dan Hesse has done a great job with pulling customer service up, but a lousy job with the ARPU.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Is anyone else feeling the impending chinese .com bubble (renn yoku sohu sina bidu dang to name a few) explosion because of the Yahoo / Alibaba ownership dispute?

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Dr. Jackal posted:

bet $25 Goldman is involved :3

It was done the same day a UBS report came out.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Doubled down on URRE today at 1.54 after I bought at 2.10 before. Nice pop today. Waiting for it to hit 2.75 and then sell for a big profit. Thoughts?

hmm, maybe 2.50 is a more realistic level

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

mystes posted:

Aren't you thinking of writing puts rather than buying them?

Also, what Slaperz surely meant was that *purchasing* options has a loss limited to the cost of the option.

You're right, that other guy was wrong.

But can't you say the same thing about the underlying equity? Purchasing an equity has a loss limited to the cost of the equity. Thats not justification to use options.

FWIW, Schwab won't let you buy an options contract at the "0" options knowledge / experience level (you indicate your own level). I'm assuming someone whose asking about buying BBI would have little knowledge of the equity options market and would be rated a 0.

edit: feeling pretty good about my URRE purchase. Average cost per share is now 1.90 and I'm in the black for now. Wish I didn't work for an bank and had restrictions on buy / sell periods.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
I'm looking for an API for market data to test a model I've been thinking about. I don't need real time, delayed works for me, at this point.

Is there a provider who gives implied volatility for each equity? Or else is there a way to calculate this without implementing black-scholes or another equity pricing system? If black scholes is a must, are there libraries I can use to calculate it or am I looking at finding out how to calculate the greeks?

Are there platforms out there that already do this (brokerages must be Schwab, Fidelity, or etrade) and am I reinventing the wheel?

antishock fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 3, 2011

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Any thoughts on buying RIMM because its a takeover candidate? Sub 12 billion valuation right now when moto was bought for 12.5. Great IP and a steady enterprise base too. MSFT would have some motive because newest BBOS isn't up to par and they could put Win7 on BB designed headsets. Google could buy it for the same reason. Both are cash rich and need to be defensive with AAPL. Maybe even HTC? Samsung said they wanted to buy a mobile OS recently too.

antishock fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 21, 2011

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Lots of moving and shaking at Sprint. LTE deployment ... iPhone 4s ... Clearwire (more or less) going under ... bonds that need to be paid or refinanced. Any opinions? Have some calls out that did poorly this week, but I feel like the company is going to do well because the FCC / DOJ wants a third wireless company company out there, if not a forth.

How about RIMM? I feel like its cheap right now, especially considering the "news" that RIMM is testing an Android BBM app. The enterprise value, especially to MSFT, is very high.

antishock fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 10, 2011

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Loving options!

ACN 02/18/2012 55.00 C +$394.70 +114.59%

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
I didn't sell and I'm down to +60ish%. Still nothing to sneeze at, bstill have about four months to go so we'll see.

Have leaps on RIMM (on the eventual takeout rumors) and S (figure either way the AT&T / Tmob merger goes, I'll come out ahead). Legalized gambling is awesome.

Anyone know how to check which equities have weekly options? Can't seem to find it on Schwab ...

antishock fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 2, 2011

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

MSFT is a weird one, though - they seem to almost not care about shareholder value. I started buying in at 16 and change, but I've basically given up on buying more for the time being - and am considering selling my shares for something with a little more promise. There's no reason for it to be so low, but it's consistently trended with a low P/E for quite awhile now.

They are huge (xbox joke?) so whats going to be the catalyst to shake it from its current valuation? All their new products (i.e., outside of Windows/Office/Enterprise) have had floundering to tepid impact on profits. MSFT is a low growth cash cow and hasn't kept up with the Nasdaq over the last 5 years even with the dividend.

Everything feels cheap right now.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Little bit of a rant below ....

Hobologist posted:

Microsoft is sitting on $56 billion in cash and investments. Given the low interest rates, they could just give most of it to their shareholders and hardly affect their earnings at all.

A 3% dividend for a tech company seems like its higher than most in the sector -- not sure if the MSFT board would increase it. They aren't a PFE (though maybe they should be act as if ...).

quote:

Out of the three mayor consoles which do you think "won" as all around platform for this generation? An extra long one i might add. It might not bring in the profits of Windows/Office/Enterprise but i think MSFT is definitely competing in a lot of markets where there's a lot of growth and there's other areas where they are nowhere near competitive but i wouldn't count them out by a long shot. Think internet search.

Internet search makes Google nearly nothing (maybe their google search appliance, but I can't think of anything else). Advertising does. Unless MSFT's advertising arm plans to partner with other high traffic sites or removes "to google" from the dictionary, GOOG has internet search and the accompanying online advertising locked up. Lets not even get into the whole "moat" discussion.

Consoles are a non issue until cable tv moves to the iptv / streaming model and MSFT builds a 10' interface around it (also: they have to beat AAPL to market, which has been rumored to be doing something similar with aTV). I do see "Windows Everywhere" having a future if they pushed the the media / cable / telecom companies like AAPL does. Windows Phone 7 was to late even though it is a decent product. Can you imagine cable tv available on your
smartphone, tablet, PC and TV? People would never stop looking at a Windows product. And then the integration with "social" and more targeted ads (i.e., expensive for advertisers) because MSFT could relay your anonymized internet and tv habits ... convergence has potential.

Until MSFT does something exceptional instead of adequate, fundamentally its just going to keep up with inflation.

quote:

One way their share price will rise is if some of their new products actually take off. They do try a lot of things, eventually something may be successful. Another option is they divert their massive cash stream to shareholders by goosing the dividend.

Effort does not equal outcome. Creativity and originality need a strong hand to be directed (hah!). Ask the large Pharma companies how they grow. Hint: its not organically. Huge size changes companies; they just aren't able to innovate in general. IBM / AAPL is an obvious example of the contrary in the tech industry, but do you think Balmer is really going to change the culture enough to disrupt status quo? I don't.

antishock fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 15, 2011

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

For what a dividend play, or stock growth, or both?

If anything I like some Brazil/South American telecom, they love calling family and won't have much euro stigma

TEF looks attractive now due to the large dividend, but the exposure to Europe is offsetting the EM play here for me. Also, I remember hearing something about additional taxes on dividends of ADRs, but I haven't really looked into it.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
I like ARR more than NLY because of monthly dividends and similar (but slightly higher) risk profile.

Nifty posted:

Long options will also have theta decay so can't really use that
Theta decay becomes very powerful in the short term, but much less in long term. Some may consider it negligible in leaps.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
They are a recent IPO so I its to be expected. I say no.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Seriously thinking about picking up some AMZN. Wish I got in when it was down 11% after hours. Doubting if this is still a growth company, but between third party sellers, fulfillment services, and the kindle line, I see a lot of growth.

AMZN + FDX = synergy win. AMZN's core business is a JIT logistics company after all.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Morgan Stanley's IOIs

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
When is this market going to pop? In the mean time, buying more and putting limit orders in for protection. Hoping I don't get screwed on big gaps.

antishock fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 14, 2012

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah, ARR is on my hit list as well, it was oversold today and is recovering a bit, buy my time with them is now on the short clock.

Mine stopped out today. Even with the dividend I just broke even. To much risk. More capital just sitting on the side until this Fed / ECB / EU induced bubble bursts.

Apple pie anyone? Get it, because its 3/14? Pi day. Yeah okay ... I guess I'll keep my day job.

edit: that graph is very deceiving ... its comparing AAPL global versus just the US retail sector. Not that I'm defending AAPL's current valuation. Hell, I only own AAPL through mutual funds.

antishock fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
I would prefer they did R&D in that than return $ to stockholders. AAPL is a growth company and shouldn't be doing buybacks and dividends. I think the real story of the announcement should have been that AAPL is running out of ideas.

Still, not willing to put my money where my mouth is. I've been negative on AAPL before and we all know how thats turned out.