Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

dv6speed posted:

I want to bring up, what was discussed in the other thread near the end, that we need to eliminate the penny stock rule, and instead limit the companies we are allowed to discuss by market capitalization instead of share price.

I agree, just specifying no BB/pinks would take care of most of that instead of the inclusion/caveat of the 4-5$ PPS thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

blargle posted:

I'm a software developer, and I thought a fun side project would be an app that pulled down daily OHLC data for 7000 or so equities and stored them in a database. I'd then write filters or heuristics to look for certain trends in the data.. basically a glorified stock screener. However, I then realized this is a stupid idea since there's probably software out there that already does this. Is there anything out there that will do what I'm looking for (Tradestation, maybe?)

Traders love these kind of TA schemes. TA is just as much, if not more, about human readable/watchable heuristics.

Watch any stock in the +/-5% range.

Vanan posted:

Is there anything out there like a "fantasy" trading simulator? I'd like to see if I can make good picks without actually risking money.

If the virtual stock exchanges aren't in the OP they probably should.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

MrBigglesworth posted:

Nice jump on SIRI today.

It's been closing green pretty much for 2 weeks now. I really can't figure out where it's coming from.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I don't know about them specifically but the "history" area is kind of funny. They basically just take whatever price/time they made their buy guess or whatever and then just pick a time beyond that where they were in the green and wrote that as history of success. So if that stock went -25% then rebounded to +2% they mark it as a success.

Long story short, there's probably a lot better and free information out there for a long/mid term investor.

E: You could just buy the whole site and have exclusive picks for just yourself! ;)

http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.a1stockpicks.com

I have a question about SIRI, not about the company or speculation on where the price may go but I noticed that once it moved >=1$, well mostly today, there were these massive (5-10 million) bid/ask blocks sticking between 1.12 and 1.13 all. Is this just the clearing out of the sub-penny bid/ask orders? Someone selling out of a massive position? I've honestly not seen something like that or been in the sub-penny/penny transition before and want to know if I should be concerned.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

MrBigglesworth posted:

The gently caress? SIRI posts their first profit since the merger, beating analysts estimates (they expected a loss) and the stock is down 7%?

I think it was (over)priced in. Pre-earnings pump and post earnings dump, no matter what the numbers are, is the new fad. Especially when it's a stock that's one of the "hey, I have that product" types.

E: (yes I know buy on the rumor sell on the news is not a new fad...it just has hit my anecdotal evidence button a few times in the last couple months)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Jack posted:

What on earth could anyone see in SIRI? Is it just that it's $1 per share?

Who looks at the PPS as any sort of gauge? It's up ~50% in the last 30-45 days and ~900% in the last year.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

destructo posted:

Christ, 3.86 billion shares? Dilution anyone?

That number is actually in the 6.4 billion range.

What does the amount of shares without any other data show? It's that same thing as saying "1$? Phhht". MSFT has 8 billion shares, does that mean it's diluted? I'm not comparing the two but there's a lot better things to criticize about SIRI.

I'm not saying SIRI is a buy or even a hold at this point, actually I think 1+ is in the sell range, but someone who bought and held SIRI in the last year made some stellar returns. If you bought AAPL in the same time frame you would be out ~6%.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
If I recall correctly AH trades are kind of "on an island" as far as a normal trader is concerned. AH trading may go up and and down 10% but the open and close are the only thing that matters.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Janin posted:

Question on Zecco

Does that mean that trades are only free if I'm buying/selling more than $25,000? Or only for less? Googling "free trade balance" gives nothing useful.

The Zecco website says that I get 10 free trades if I trade more than 25 times per month, but I usually just do one or two per month.

Zecco's verbiage is "Net equity balance of of >=$25k". So if your equity balance is @ >= to 25,000 before your order is executed you get the trade free...up to ten.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I now a couple pay brokers do that, and that fakemoney site updown does it, but not historically just from when you started (ie today).

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Pretty sure it's because I sold out the remains of my position @ .87 last week :suicide:.

Seriously though. They showed an unexpected (177k) jump in subscriptions.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I wish this was my real portfolio. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ I've been watching a few but they all scare the poo poo out of me to be honest.

destructo posted:

Why did you buy into MIPI after the trial results jump? Even if it is a fake portfolio
\/\/\/

Those are daily gains/losses, not overall.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Pretty sure it's because I sold out the remains of my position @ .87 last week :suicide:.

Siri: Day's Range: 1.10 - 1.18
:suicide::suicide:

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dr. Jackal posted:

I thought NFLX, why would it skyrocket repeatedly again thought I at 60..

Huh?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
So that's what happens when a million stop orders get taken out at once? I was curious what that would look like.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ixo posted:

uhhhhh, did anyone else see every single iShares etf drop to 1 cent per share? what in the holy gently caress was that about?

I caught that too (well I didn't get an exact price) but I can't get a full update on any site right now.

I think it was a glitch somewhere but it was weird because my basket of non-indexed dogs went down with everything else.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Even if you got a fill (you wouldn't have) NASDAQ is canceling the "errant" trades.

...Well the ones with >60% losses. If you lost 59%, sorry fucker better luck next "glitch".

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

gvibes posted:

Seems like a serious overreaction to me.

ie; a great mid risk play.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ayekappy posted:

DOW, S&P, or NASDAQ close in the red tomorrow or I get banned.

Apart from that challenge, I suspect them all to be down 2% or more tomorrow by close.

I'm so gonna invest a few hundred billion tomorrow to get you banned

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

fougera posted:

So I made a ton during the uber-bull using margin shamelessly and of course lost all those gains this month. Is there a "correct" way to use margin? Some kind of bankroll strategy perhaps?

As far as I know the only "correct" way to use margin is to use it to cover gaps caused by trade clearing/settlement.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Not to mention the albatross of defaults that continue to pile on. The bulls best news is that it's getting slightly less bad.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Corn posted:

... Can someone explain this to me, and why wouldn't everyone do something like this? ...

Everybody did. That is why the big bank stocks shot right back up even though their fundamentals all hosed up. If banks like citi and bac were forced to "write down" their holdings it would be a massacre.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I'd say (completely my opinion) that not buying into the slump of BP and the related contractors, and the whole sector right now is kind of like not buying BAC around 3-5. ie; They aren't going anywhere and this poo poo will be in courts probably for decades while the companies are still reaping the profits and the bbl price goes back up.

You see, it's a "perfect storm". ;) ;)

Just be ready to average down if you're going to play.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

It's difficult to compare BP/RIG/HAL to BAC/C/GS for a lot of reasons. It's possible that you're right and that these are crazy-low prices that will seem like obvious buys in 12 months. They could also keep going lower. I just don't see any reason to buy on the way down. BP is 40% of its 100 day and 11% off its 20 day EMA. I'm not even considering getting in until I see stabilization and if that "costs" me $5/share I'm ok with that.

My point was that it isn't a falling knife scenario. BP et al aren't filing a BK anytime soon (probably in our lifetime).

It's definitely not without a pretty high level of short term loss risk, but the long term benefits outweigh that imo.

Here's a quote of my "big three" who have been torn up because of the GoM mess and the recent dip in oil prices so people can come laugh at me down the road. ;)

HAL 23.53
RIG 46.60
BP 31.57

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
eek. Well I should say that BP is the much, much more riskier option of the three especially short term. They are going to have their name put on a lot of papers filed in courthouses across the southeast very publicly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose another 20-30% in the short term (1-6 mos).

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Congrats to all of the TSLA bandwagoners! Have a feeling the next 30 minutes won't be so kind.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Congrats to all of the TSLA bandwagoners! Have a feeling the next 30 minutes won't be so kind.

Doh! Completely didn't expect it to leg up again.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Hahah, CWLZ is the best stock ever! drat, what a ride the last two weeks have been.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ Um I think you mistyped the symbol HWG is 38$ per share.

Vatek posted:

Better get out quick, it's getting de-listed from the NASDAQ tomorrow.

Yea, I know. I'd rather just cover when it hits the pinks :laugh:. I adore irrational exuberance in the markets. (look at a 2 week chart)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Oh, I get what you are saying now.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

abagofcheetos posted:

I don't get how anyone could have even a shred of faith in the integrity of our markets right now. I am at the point where I wonder if me being 10% equities long is too much.

No one does really. Fundamental longs are getting squeezed out along with the shorts. TA pros are getting hosed by the volatility across the board. This is really a day traders market, everyone is running around the wheel hoping they land on GO.

Securities: Wildly trading even with blue chips
Commodities: Moving north when indicators say south and visa-versa
Bonds: Seems like the best long term strategy but who has any faith in the underlying fundamentals
Forex: I hope you have your rear end glued to a chair 24/7

Panic has control of all of those markets right now.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Rollin down the street, smokin indo, shittin in S&P shorts...tesla.

Can anyone think of a recent high profile IPO that didn't poo poo is shorts after a couple days?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Method Loser posted:

I was handed a stock trading account with Siebert to manage, and own, with the simple instructions of 'do better than I did' two weeks ago. The account had something like $419,000 combined, cash and portfolio. My father was big into biotech, since he is a doctor, and he knows what and when to buy, but is terrible at selling.

What the gently caress? Your dad gave you, an inexperienced trader, $140K of real money to trade with?

And the first thing you do is buy into sectors with heavy volatility?

Jesus, I was born into the wrong family :smith:

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Method Loser posted:

No, 420k. 220 liquid, 200 in stuff he liked which I am researching into if I should hold/sell since I know little about biotech. I have 140 now since I put 80 into NE and F. Like I said, he;s good at knowing when to buy, bad at knowing when to sell, so I'll figure this all out.

Heed what Hobologist is saying. There is a world of difference to the point of being mutually exclusive between "trading" and "investing".

"Investors" generally don't/won't sell until a long term objective is reached and don't watch day to day or even month to month performance.

"Traders" only have a target to fulfill and sell when they reach it if it's today or 10 years from now.

Short term high volatility plays are for "day traders", the guys that "feast or famine" for the most part.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Plastic Jesus posted:

I don't think that your 12 months at Most People Fantasy Camp had a meaningful impact on how you view money and responsibility.

:drat:

Back on topic: I don't know why I can't find this: It is a very popular technology etf and it's not based off of RITEC.X. Any help?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I haven't seen any go anywhere near zero but I have seen them reverse split frequently. (fas/faz) come to mind.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Faz was my ray of hope in a world of poo poo last year so I can't hate on it ;)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
If he can post real evidence of an actual trade (to match the numbers) beyond a Google portfolio I'll post my zecco holdings screenshot (with personal information removed of course).

It was a good troll though.

E:Fwiw that wasn't me saying I was in the black.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Plastic Jesus posted:

XLK?

Bingo! I don't know why the hell I couldn't find it myself.

(although I think I was misremembering because its performance is less than stellar)

Thanks.