Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fidelity just slashed their commissions to $7.95 flat rate, and is now offering 25 ETFs commission free (I guess to compete with Schwab).

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/trading/What_You_Can_Trade/WYCT_ETFs.shtml.cvsr

Any comments on Fidelity as a brokerage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jreedy88 posted:

On another note, does anyone else feel like shorting AAPL these days? I'm thinking the sales numbers for the iPad will be abysmal.
You could have probably said this about every Apple product since and including the first iMac, and yet here we are.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mcsuede posted:

Does anyone know of a fund that focuses on solid domestic companies that pay dividends (JNJ, GE, etc.), and that doesn't have insane load/fees?
Wouldn't any large cap value fund pretty much cover that? I have VIVAX and here are the top ten holdings:

ExxonMobil Corporation (XOM) 6.36%
General Electric Company (GE) 3.30%
J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. (JPM) 3.13%
AT&T, Inc. (T) 3.03%
Bank of America Corporation (BAC) 2.78%
Chevron Corporation (CVX) 2.68%
Wells Fargo Company (WFC) 2.34%
Pfizer Inc. (PFE) 2.12%
Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (GS) 1.68%
Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) 1.63%

There are like a billion indexes that track large cap value/dividend stocks, plenty of different ones to choose from.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Jackal posted:

Anyone else crying over VZ slowly bleeding down?
Its like it runs up, bleeds down, runs up, bleeds down, endlessly. I'm half tempted to just sell it next time I break even, though I do plan on holding long term so I really shouldn't care.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ayekappy posted:

Or the fact that FiOS would compliment a nationwide internet type government infrastructure plan the most.
I think 4G would be a better solution for that goal. The government would never subsidize the huge cost of rolling out FiOS for just internet, and Verizon wouldn't be too eager to do it either considering their current procedure is to only roll it out once they get a TV franchise (which is regulated by local municipalities, and it can take a year plus to acquire in some cases). Besides, Verizon already announced they are no longer bringing FiOS to new cities.

The problem with 4G though is its an area Verizon doesn't have quite as much of a technological edge (other than being first to release it and having much much larger national footprint, but both of those were going to be done without the governments money anyway), so it isn't like they would be the sole winner of the government's money bonanza like they would if it was going to be given to the best land line service.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The wildcard with Verizon too is what they end up doing with Vodafone about Verizon Wireless.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Koirhor posted:

Just an FYI on Verizon. Let's just say the company is trying to layoff 21,000 Union people. The current union contact allows them to layoff 9,000 but the company wants to do an additional 12k. The Unions have told Verizon if they take one person over the 9,000 then the entire workforce will go on strike.
If they fired all of their union members I would increase my position on principal alone.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MrBigglesworth posted:

No, we are just puttering along, Greece shits the bed and then the market goes crazy. I just dont see the logic of Greece having problems to cause someone to go in and say, welp, better sell some of my holdings.

Isn't most of Europe heavily invested in Greek bonds?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jacques LeVert posted:

f it isn't debt contagion we're talking about, then at least we can all agree financial stupidity and reckless spending is contagious.

Post more (here).

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol I guess the government turned the hose on at 2:45.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pissed because I had a conversation with my friend at like 11am today where I said I am worried that we are having multiple down days in a row, and that we might see the bottom fall out because of it.

And here we are.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

unixbeard posted:

anyone know why zerohedge is down?
Yeah I've been trying for a few hours. I think their servers need an upgrade, the site was tough to get into when the Goldman was charged.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

It seems like they don't even know how this could have happened, let alone who actually caused it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0624451020100507

I could post other site's analysis of it, but since everyone here seems to refuse to believe markets and all of their participants are anything but :angel: there is no point.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 7, 2010

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ZH's main high frequency trading writeup today is a really good read as well.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can buy it on eBay (seriously), and the premium isn't too crazy if you shop around.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but if there is ever a run on the physical metal you are going to wish you didn't own paper.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Again, what are you going to do with physical metal? Trade it? Barter?
What would you do with a piece of paper or bits on a computer saying you own something?

I'm not trying to say gold is the greatest thing ever (I own none), but holding physical gold is just as ridiculous has holding paper. And I mentioned eBay, there is actually a healthy gold market on eBay if you ever wanted to trade the physical metal.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

greasyhands posted:

Selling commissions on ebay/paypal are ~10%, if you really think you can make a trading platform out of that I'd like to see the results. It's not that holding physical gold is ridiculous, it's that there's a reason you only see WE TRADE GOLD on the front of pawn shops and gun shows, and not at banks. The market for physical metals for retail investors is basically a scam.
Oh sorry, I never meant actual trading. No you would never want to deal with actual metals if you are going to trade.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Holy crap, what just happened to TiVo? http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:TIVO

I tried looking for news, but didn't find anything.

http://preview.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive_en10&sid=aum3bPRe2F94

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't Tivo actually derive a significant portion of its revenue from patent royalties? I seem to remember hearing about this when the patent case was first going on.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
WDC is driving me nuts.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the market thinks that computers are just a passing fad.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention the fundamentals of these stocks are absurd. About $12 of WDC's share price is literally cash, with only $400 million long term debt, and they are earning like $1.70 a share per quarter.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

strwrsxprt posted:

I'm an idiot who understands nothing about the market, but I own a decent amount of WDC. Do you mind explaining why those conditions are absurd?
I too am very amateur, but this is my read. As I said, they have a ton of cash on their books, and almost no debt. And their cash flow and base is increasing every year. End of year 2006 they had $1.1 billion in equity, last year it was $3.1 billion. This, with their low debt, gives them tremendous flexibility, and has allowed them to make several all cash acquisitions in the past couple years. They are basically bringing in very large amounts of cash, and have very little overhead or debt service to spend it on.

It also means that their P/E is a crazy low 6.5, whereas the S&P's P/E is about 20.

Seagate is in a very similar situation, except they have much more debt on the books.

Baddog posted:

edit - I believe western digitals percent of the SSD market is much smaller than traditional drives, right?
Yes this is true, however they purchased a company early last year in order to bolster their lineup.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh no doubt, I've gone over 75% bonds in my retirement accounts. I think a terrible market correction is going to occur by years end.

Still, WDC's movement though is puzzling regardless if it is a down day or not.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also a pressure on housing is I feel there is an immense "shadow inventory" out there, as expressed in this Calculated Risk post.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2010/05/mothballed-condos-offered-for-sale.html

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
CMO is never going to sustain that 17% dividend. You do realize that at that rate the company will literally give its shareholders their entire current market cap in cash in under 6 years?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

fougera posted:

WDC or STX?

I love WDC, but look at an intraday chart of it over the past two or three weeks and tell me that isn't totally hosed. So much volatility...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Christobevii3 posted:

Whats everyones thoughts on Citigroup almost flash crashing again and being halted for the second time this week? It is moving tons of shares so its not a liquidity issue.

I don't get how anyone could have even a shred of faith in the integrity of our markets right now. I am at the point where I wonder if me being 10% equities long is too much.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cost of Forever Stamp in April 2007: 39 cents
Cost of proposed first class stamp: 46 cents

return: 18%

S&P April 5, 2007: 1443.76
S&P July 6, 2010: 1028.06

return: -28%

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 6, 2010

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Foma posted:

Good luck finding someone who still buys stamps.
pshh, give goldman a call, they can whip you up a derivative product before lunch

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Foma posted:

My 82 shares of VZ have yielded 19 shares of ftr I which I am unsure what to do with. 17% yield makes it seem unstable
I forgot this was happening so soon! Sup new FTR buddy :wotwot:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Not much you can do with 19 shares, I say hold it long since selling it loses a lot to commissions.

Yeah but at the same time, if you lose even a few % on your shares you just paid your sales commission. If you like it, hold it. If you are unsure why you would keep it, sell it.

It has been up a ton the past couple days, this would be the perfect opportunity to sell if you want out.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The only people that make money off IPOs are the underwriters.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A few months ago? How bout in 2002.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Like Forever stamps :clint:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Glad I sold a bunch of my MCD out yesterday at 71.43. Now I just wish I bought more VZ at 26.50 like I wanted to.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
HPQ seems like a compelling buy given the massive hit they just took. I read a pretty interesting article the other day involving the potential of wireless sensors for large industrial projects, of which HP has been very involved in developing. In the article was a quote comparing the sensors to the production of ink cartridges, both in terms of mass production and also profit margins.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2009/oct-dec/cense.html

That is a link I found in 2 seconds of Google searching about it. Good synergies too, because you need a massive server system to handle the data those sensors produce.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol WDC

$24.71 share price. $12 per share cash. $6 EPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hobologist posted:

GOONS! :argh:

Actually, the fallout from Cisco is kind of overstated I think.
Uh, haven't they been hiding the fact that most of their growth was from self-financing that was being held off the books? I think the haircut they took is pretty well stated for that.