Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Any advice on Silver holdings or mining companies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Why is COSI so cheap? I was under the impression they were an expanding brand. Is Panera eating their market space?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Hmm yes my recent NFLX buy at $117.15 seems like a wise move right now. :rolleye:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Method Loser posted:

I think I'm just lucky, some rainman, or maybe just good at this.

I was handed a stock trading account with Siebert to manage, and own, with the simple instructions of 'do better than I did' two weeks ago. The account had something like $419,000 combined, cash and portfolio. My father was big into biotech, since he is a doctor, and he knows what and when to buy, but is terrible at selling.

Anyway, he was getting about a 10% return per annum the past few years, which I can't complain about. I made my first picks and buys about 2 weeks ago, and am going to use most of the rest of the $140k or so left in cash slush to do so, since it sitting there's doing me no good. I'm eyeing more oil companies since they are getting hammered because of that thing in the Gulf. Anyway, did my beginner's luck do good? :v:

I will trade your dad for my dad.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Method Loser posted:

I'll answer this one, since this is getting to be repetatitve, but this is a good question. I moved halfway across the country for a year, lived in a lovely apartment, cut all contact with my family, and worked as a cook in fast food for 12 months because I wanted to know what it was like living like most people. So no, I'm not some ivory-tower sheltered idiot that knows nothing of the real world.

It's nice that you tried to live like Joe Blow, but you always knew you could go back to the silver spoon once your adventures in fast food was over. It's not really the same as people who work poo poo jobs for their entire lives and have nothing to fall back on like you did. It's kind of like saying "hey i have a black friend, I can drop N-bombs whenever i feel like it now!!" Not really true since you aren't a part of that culture and don't understand it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

DancingMachine posted:

I'm not really sure what you guys want from him anyway - a 4 year degree in trading or something? The market has no "fundamentals." Or if it does, no 2 of you would actually agree on what those fundamentals are. If you were making bets based on what I consider fundamentals you would have lost 10 out of the last 11 years.

I think the problem was that he basically came in and spit in everyones faces and then wondered why we didn't kiss his rear end. Nobody cares if he (or in his case, his dad) is extremely rich and can afford to play with 6 figures.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Weird question:

my TD Ameritrade account somehow got 6 shares of MDOEF into it. Looking back at the transaction history, I never bought or transfered this stock. I do not know how it got there, any idea?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Hobologist posted:

Google says that Provident Energy spun it off recently.

Ok thanks, I couldn't find any info on it and I do own PVX so that explains it!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Thoogsby posted:

Buy 1 share at 78 and sell it at 84. You just made $6.

Let me know what broker you use that doesn't charge transaction fees.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

ayekappy posted:

https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/investments/freetradesonline?mplx=6170-45779-3408-3

100 a year for WFC if you have $25k in assets, loans, etc. (not just a $25k cash stack for trading)

Nice, I use TD Ameritrade though, but good to know if I want to switch.

I've made a boatload on NFLX (bought in around 117). When is the crash coming? This seems too good to be true.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I guess the question should be, does NFLX have the kind of growing ability that Apple or other comparable tech compaies do? I consider it comparable based on growth over the last year, where both have reached unbelievable price highs compared to their 1 year ago values.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
What in SMOD's earnings statement would have made the stock drop?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Jack posted:

I pray that AAPL somehow misses big on Monday and guides even worse just for the hilarity it would cause the longside people.

I am kicking myself for not buying more shares when it was at the low low price of $225. What the hell is happening in this earth (oh hello Netflix and your 40% raise in 3 months)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Anyone have any stock market discussion forums they recommend?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Can anyone explain what happened with CDTID? I'm not entirely sure what differentiates their profitability enough from other companies to jump from .82 per share to over 30.00.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...s=0;logscale=on

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Anyone have any opinions on alternate power (wind, water, solar, etc.) companies?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

My new investing strategy is to do exactly the opposite of what ayekappy does.

I've been nervous about the individual companies themselves - there seems to be such low chances of picking a winner. I'm a lot more comfortable with companies who have a hand in it, but aren't exclusively alt-power, like GE (wind) and DOW (solar).

That's my problem, there is so little info out there as to which companies are going to be making headway and actually delivering good financials. Especially when these companies are in foreign countires, like China, which theoretically have a shitload of potential for wind harvesting in particular.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I put in a sell limit on NFLX at 175.50 and it looks like it might hit today.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I am long on all of the following:

AAPL, BP, CHS, GLD, HERO, MDOEF, MSFT, PVX, SDS, SIVR, YHOO

My overall gains since starting the market are 25%, though granted a huge chunk of that was from NFLX which I sold at a $60 profit per share (2 weeks later it jumped and other $30/share :( )

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

ayekappy posted:

Die BBY! BK for Best Buy would be great because then people might not have the gall to try and charge $100s for simple poo poo like removing viruses, installing an OS, or transferring files. My former GeekSquad co-worker really truly believed removing a virus is the hardest thing in the world to do. If I had the balls and remembered BBY's earning were today, coulda pulled a nice 1000% profit in a day, doh.

edit: Make that 1500% profit. Even 10 bucks invested in some $35 PUTs would have made my Christmas!

Am I missing something? BBY has dropped $5/share since this time yesterday.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

owDAWG posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=12396007

Poor holiday consumer electronics retail store sales. I mean what were they expecting on the eve of a lot tax cuts set to expire in an already weak recovery.

The original post I quoted seemed to be worded like he wished he'd bought BBY before a huge gain, that's why I was confused.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I was going to buy a shitload of NVDA but put it all into SLV instead so its not like I lost anything but still :smith:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
What do you guys think of the movement on SIRI over the last few weeks?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

LuftWaffle posted:

Try TD Ameritrade. Their charting kind of sucks but the fundamental stuff seems pretty well done. Pretty much every stock has a PDF report from The Street, Credit Suisse, S&P, and Ford Research. You can also elect to receive updates when consensus earnings expectations change for a stock you own which is pretty nice. You can get streaming quotes for single stocks but if you launch the trading platform you can get things like level 2 stuff, streaming news, and a bunch of other stuff I haven't used.

$10 trades though are on the high end. $2000 minimum deposit. You have to get "approved" for margin trading and different levels of option trading. I think they're running a promotion right now where you get like $100 and 500 free trades or something.

I've only ever used TD though so I don't really have a frame of reference to recommend anything else.

One thing to note about TD is that you can't trade on the London exchange (or at least I haven't figured out how). I wanted to get into SGP.L last year and couldnt and now it's up $1000/share.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Christobevii3 posted:

http://www.hotstockmarket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Weed out the people doing high risk option plays, aka 80% and you are good

The historical reviews are excellent:

Originally Posted by jesus
Watchn AAPL in at 52.90 waiting for positive news on Wednesday,way oversold.May run to 60 I,m tempted by the dark side to get 10 call options Hey chan care for a wager

7/17/06 at 4:32pm by Chan
My bet is you won't see me trade against the trend
You want an opinion? won't get through 58 and It will eventually fall to the 36 level

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Mr.Brinks posted:

I sort of feel terrible that I made money off people dying in the Middle East. Like, forget goon sarcasm... it sort of sucks that I'm in the green because people in Libya are getting bombed by jets.

It makes me feel less worse since one of my best stocks is HERO :911:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Jack posted:

The real question is what will ever get the dollar to go up again?

Apparently the silver standard if the market is any indicator :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm honestly not as worried about the fall of SLV as some people seem to be. I've lost about half my position on it, but I'm still up 43% overall. As far as raw materials go, I will always stick with it since it has practical industrial uses and a finite supply as opposed to gold.