Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Throw in Finviz.com in the OP under tools. It is an excellent stock screener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Look at the bloodbath today, DOW down 226, at 10,044. Wouldnt doubt if we go below 10K today, early tomorrow.

Wonder if I should jump in on a few dips or give it another day or 2 to ride lower.......methinks Ill place a few trailing buy orders.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Whats the deal on silver when buying in a coin store. A few years back when it was around 11ish I wanted to buy some, but they had this "Ill sell it to you for $4 over spot, making it $15/ounce.

I didnt get the concept, as the silver was right there, in a box, ready to go and Apmex.com on my phone said it was $11ish an ounce, which is what I was wanting to pay.

If I paid $11+$4 and wanted to sell it when it was $12, he would pay me $12, Id still be down overall on the purchase.

And he was saying $4 over PER ounce.

Was he trying to rip me off?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Even buying in Bulk on Apmex.com seems like a ripoff.

Some silver stuff there is showing "2.49 over/per" so to buy it right now in bulk like this listing "20 - 99 for $17.89 ea" to make a profit Silver would have to get over $18 an ounce again. And they sure as gently caress wont pay you anything "over" spot price when buying back.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

PsychoAndy posted:

SLV 4 lyfe. I'm pretty small time, it works for me. However, at 13:30 today I expected people to buy the dip when the spx hit 1045, but i didn't expect THAT much buying. Crazy trading day.

Can I ask you why you want physical silver? From what you just said it seems like you want to buy physical product, and then sell it for spot when silver hits, say, 20 bucks. Much easier to buy the ETF than trading physical silver.

Or hell, I just looked on ebay at junk silver coins. A roll of quarters ($10 face value/40 quarters/7.2 oz silver) is going for anywhere between 115-140 on ebay, plus shipping. So basically between 16-18 bucks/oz depending on auction. Which, considering the small quantity, is actually pretty good, compared to northwest territorial mint's price of 16.84/oz for 72 ounces of US silver coin. (http://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver.php).

Physical doesnt matter, I have never looked into an ETF so I dont know what to look for in that.

Basically I want to treat Silver like a stock. Buy at $13-$14ish, sell if it hits $17 or higher. Whether it is physical or electronic makes no never mind to me.

Just checked out SLV on Scottrade, IShares Silver Trust Fund? Guess I could do something like that.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 6, 2010

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Would that have anything to do with rebuilding cities destroyed in Haiti?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Nice jump on SIRI today.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The gently caress? SIRI posts their first profit since the merger, beating analysts estimates (they expected a loss) and the stock is down 7%?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeppers. Gotta look at percentages instead of $$$ signs all the time every once in a while.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Question about trailing sell/buy orders.

Are those good only during market hours?

I ask this because sometimes you see the price of a stock jump or drop by a good amount before or after market.

If you have an open trailing sell/buy order and if the price hits the trigger during non market hours, will it go through then on the trigger, or what?

I have a Scottrade account, havent gotten a response back yet.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Got a response from Scottrade. Orders are good only for the session for which they are entered.

This would suck if you have a trailing sell order hoping to get out at the top. It does fine during the day, then shits itself during after hours, and in the morning its down 20% when you had an 8% trigger. Gahhhhh.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

lazybrain posted:

Here are a couple great places to begin reading about options if you have no clue wtf I'm talking about :
http://www.fool.com/investing/options/options-a-foolish-introduction.aspx?source=ifltnvsnv0000001
http://www.investopedia.com/university/options/default.asp

Thanks for this. Will read up on it.

It would just be nice if you could do a trailing sell/buy order that was either GTC as it is now for the day, or have it last for 30 days or a specified period of time.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
As am I. I really didnt think it would go this far, this fast.

HOLY poo poo on that EDZ, WTF?

Edit=ah, reverse split.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 4, 2010

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
C is up today 15 cents or 4.19% at 3.98/share are they finally making the slow turn around? Ive had an eye on it since it was at the 5.15 mark, but it seemed to lose 3 to 4 cents a share every single day for the last 6 months.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
This is my problem right now.

Since I have taxes due I have no extra $$$ to throw at it. I was wanting to buy in to C at around the $3.25 mark, but have nothing to put in as I owe nearly $2k to the feds this year.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
That VXX is a perfect candidate to setup a trailing buy order. God I wish I had some cash, I have missed so much in just the last few months. Intel, AMD, GE (finally) TSU, HGSI (owned at 17, sold at 21, shoulda kept.) and a few others.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
PALM got an upgrade today....arent they still circling the toilet?

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/03/26/palm-bmo-capital-ups-rating-to-market-perform-on-valuation/?mod=yahoobarrons

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Does anyone else use Daily Finance? This evening all my portfolios and watch lists are blank. Same thing on their website and on the iPhone.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
With Blockbuster circling the drain it is easy to see why. Also doesnt hurt to have the Netflix app available on the iPad.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
AMD is up 28 cents in after hours. God I wish I bought when they were $4.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Duey posted:

SIRI is on a tear today, up almost 13% but on pretty low volume. I guess going over 1.00$ again set it off.

This makes me happy.

I bought in at .865. Earnings are in 2 weeks.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So why is AAPL down $2.24? Are people expecting disappointment with todays earnings releases?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Wow, saw AAPL up nearly $20 in after hours. Its now up $12.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
When does Blockbuster announce earnings?

It's amazing to watch the netflix performance. $10+ pops earnings release days with a nice steady climb between 3 months ago and now.

Heh BBI @ 47 cents.

Netflix 100.05 +13.07

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Oh there is no loving way I am touching BB with a stick. When I first saw those Redboxes popping up like weeds in every McDonald's/Walmart/Walgreens and more recently Netflix getting on any device connected to the internet I knew that BBs fate was soon to be sealed.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Nice jump on SIRI yesterday. When Ford does good, so does SIRI.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What the hell just happened?

Dow down 129 points, every stock I am looking at is in the red today, yet consumer confidence is up more than expected. What just happened?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

I guess I just dont understand that.

When a foreign country has an issue, why would that send the entire stock market down?

Who says, Greece is having problems, Sell my Johnson and Johnson stock!!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

quote:

Are you really questioning a single down day after about 90 straight days of nothing but up days?

No, we are just puttering along, Greece shits the bed and then the market goes crazy. I just dont see the logic of Greece having problems to cause someone to go in and say, welp, better sell some of my holdings.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
BRK/B is for holding a long time in my book. I got in at $70.99. Plan on holding it a few yars.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Read one of Buffets statements in one of their quarterly releases from some time back. He has his successor(s) picked and the names are in an envelope in his desk. He has no problems with the team in place as they are basically running things already.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Dow Down 511 (goddamn I just stopped there cuz it kept going down every second,) I wish I had some cash, excellent buy opportunity for some of the poo poo I watch, but Im still paying on taxes. Had some poo poo I needed to sell to pay said tax, but the stock value has dropped over 3 bucks per share since I needed. Ill just stick it out. No way Im taking hundreds of dollars of loss just to stem the blood flow.

Dow now down 570. :smith:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
double post

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
At least there is the dead cat bounce!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Jreedy88 posted:

Definitely feeling this. I bought some stuff a week ago at the first Greek-induced dip. Now things are down 5% on top of that. Could have waited a week. This is a position I intend to be in for months or years, so I definitely could have waited a week to buy in.

Buy more, lower your average purchase price?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
And there it is, instant peg to 274 points up.

GE up 1.16
AAPL up 14
BRK/B 2.50

YES YES YES!

Dow now up 299.

Edit 388

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 10, 2010

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Same for STX.

I dont get it. I just dont loving get it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yet Intel had a great quarter, AAPL as well, Seagate and WDC did too.

You dont buy a PC/Laptop without storage.

Facebook has to store all the privacy violating poo poo they do somewhere.

I just dont understand how the market hates harddrives.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I can understand pumping the cloud, but where is that cloud gonna be stored? Hence my inability to understand why storage stocks arent doing well with all the cloud craze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
2 minutes into market open, DOW down 178 points. When is this poo poo gonna get back onto normal footing?

Just wish I had some cash so I could setup some trailing buy orders.