Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Foma posted:

I wouldn't touch BP for any price right now, RIG is a bit safer.

Tom Rakewell posted:

So glad I dumped NOV for a small gain, that stock has been crap over the past two years or so. I may buy back in below 30, though I'd probably go bottom feeding on BP and RIG first.

Thoogsby posted:

If you're trying to get bargains as a result of the oil spill catastrophe I would take a look at RIG.

Thoogsby posted:

I think if you buy BP you're going to be sitting around twiddling your thumbs for a while at best, or just watching the stock drop while the details still come out at worst. It's pretty clear that the general public and media have decided that BP is the villain in this and it's not a secret there was negligence involved. If I was going to take a long position as a result of this I would pick up something tangentially related to the spill (RIG/HAL) or like Christo said and just buy stock in their competitors.

Why are you guys optimistic about RIG? I understand that the public has chosen BP as the main villian, but the rig which exploded and released so much crude was owned and ran by RIG, shouldn't RIG be the responsible party instead?

Also,

pr0k posted:

:saddowns:

National Oilwell Varco, Inc. Co
(NYSE: NOV)

Real-Time: 33.89 Down 4.24 (11.12%) 3:43PM EDT

What is this bullshit. hosed up oil wells mean MORE business. Retooling and fixing rigs to get recertified to drill or whatever. More. MORE BUSINESS. WHAT THE gently caress.

I understand that hosed up oil wells means more business(lol relief wells), but doesn't that spell trouble for the Offshore drilling companies in the long run? More regulations? Less profits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
Oh look, RIG down 1.4% Pre open. Any one has any thoughts on why ?

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

whalesneedlove posted:

I think the best thing to do is for everyone to pat him on the back and then move on. He will most likely experience the same "education" that most traders/investors go through. Look forward to this Method Loser...

Step 1: Think you know everything

Step 2: Lose

Step 3: Make excuses and go back to step 1

The goal is to really break the cycle, develop a system/methodolgy, and gain the discipline of a monk.

I don't get this system/methodology, or approach stuff.

Do you guys mean, setting rules/conditions for entry and exit?

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Method Loser posted:

I'll answer this one, since this is getting to be repetatitve, but this is a good question. I moved halfway across the country for a year, lived in a lovely apartment, cut all contact with my family, and worked as a cook in fast food for 12 months because I wanted to know what it was like living like most people. So no, I'm not some ivory-tower sheltered idiot that knows nothing of the real world.

So you're like batman ?

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Nifty posted:

I actually had already read that article, but it did not make much sense to me. To me, the last sentence sounded sarcastic or something. How does high delinquency rates and insufficient cash flow mean REITs should be trading higher?

I feel the same way, furthermore unless FR is gonna pull something special, its financials don't look healthy too. I wonder why its up 8%.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
Why the hate on WDC recently?

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Josh Lyman posted:

If you worked in an industry were cost/performance (in this case, $/GB) were falling 50% every 2 years, a space that has been completely commoditized by Hitachi on the laptop side and Seagate on the desktop side, wouldn't you be worried too?

Ah, i was under the impression that they produce the best HDDs amongst major HDD producers.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

xzoto1 posted:

Fore you Forex people, how long did it take you to learn the ins and outs before being comfortable using real money? I am using babypips.com and while I am only half way through their "school", I have been overwhelmed with a lot of what I have learned already. I imagine I will be reading through it numerous times since I have already forgot a lot of it.

Also, have any of you tried any of the programs that do automated trades for you? I don't think I would ever trust one of them, but I was wondering if anyone actually got any success out of them?

Forex people probably use only a few indicators for their trades. They don't use everything they learn.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
Hey man, just go ahead and do it, don't be discouraged by what they say, but be prepared to lose all your money if you screw it up.

Also if you strike it rich, remember that i'm the one who supported you, and throw a thousand dollars my way. Thanks!

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

St00ert posted:

I'm kicking myself for selling my stocks late September. I was so certain the markets weren't rising past 1150 (S&P500). While I pray for mayhem, I've put $1000 of canadian money into my USD cash account since both dollars are just about at parity.

That play could backfire if the canadian dollar rises to 1.1:1. I just want to be prepared for a play when/if markets go down after the midterm election, and after the US government isn't as focused or capable of juking the stats (just finished watching The Wire).

This rally seems too unexpected and not particularly authentic. But I'm still a n00b at this, so I'm probably missing some obvious reason.

Quantitative Easing.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Plastic Jesus posted:

The US is sending "don't gently caress with us, we gently caress back" currency trade war signals. I don't have any intention of trusting the $DXY until, at least, China's rare earth element de-facto embargo is lifted.

Meanwhile, markets rally with QE2. Time to put money into companies which derives most of its income from overseas.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
I'm surprised at the Financial stocks rallying after C beat earnings using accounting tricks :\

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Thoogsby posted:

If people cared about accounting tricks we would be so hosed it's not funny. If it's not fraud it's okay.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

All they did was release some of their credit reserve. It isn't exactly this back room accounting trick. Then again, they still have roughly the same amount of credit losses as this time last year, so I don't know if doing it is in the best interest of liquidity....

Well, thats the problem, fundamentally the company isn't doing so well, revenues and profits are dropping, the only reason why they beat earnings was because they released the funds they had in reserve for bad loans.

True, it isn't one of those evil accounting trickery, but it still says that they beat earnings not by "earning", but rather reducing their reserve.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Nifty posted:

Why do you think C is undervalued?

C has lots of overseas banking units which are doing well?

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Nifty posted:

My intention was not to be rude. At this time I'm not convinced either way about C. I'm curious what factors influenced his opinion and a more accurate price range the stock may be at based on his fundamental valuation.

Oh don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to be sarcastic, i was suggesting reasons as to why he might think C is undervalued.

Ignoring the shadowy toxic assets for a moment, C is actually very globalized, and Latin America/Asia accounts for half of its 2009 3Q net revenue. Seeing how USD is dropping against every other country's currency, i'd see a net revenue boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

tranceMiNuS posted:

Just made another 4 grand in the past 30 mins or so. It seems pretty straightforward to just stare at the charts on the second to second resolution while looking at the ticker price at a like .1 resolution and you start to see patterns. Even if on the second by second level a stock averages 15.00, it's constantly fluctuating on the millisecond level from 14.98 to 15.01, so you just set limits to buy in the valleys and sell in the peaks. Its like a fractal, there are very chaotic peaks and valleys at the like .1 level, trends start to develop on the range of the 1 events, on the 5 level you start to see repeating structures and as you look at the minute or hourly trend you just see larger repeating patterns of rises and falls, like a sine wave. Maybe I'm just really high but it seems like even if the hourly trend is down, it seems like you could still make money trading on the second to second level.

what the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

imma go stare harder to find those patterns you're talking about