Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Two more weeks untill the holiday :argh:

Any suggestions what to do in Bangkok? Already planned to check out the aquarium, IMAX movie theatre and so on. Wat's dont really interest me as i got a overload of them last time.

Any good suggestions for live music (blues, rock, pop, whatever)? I'm mostly planning to just chill out in bars/cafes and eat good food. But i'm open to suggestions if there is some nice things to see/do

I'm based at Sukhumvit soi 18 for five days.

Then it's Siam Reap > Sihanoukville > Islands > something > Phnom Penh. Three weeks in Cambodia.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Anyone checked out the new Mikkeller bar in Bangkok yet?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sex tourist spotted!

Just kidding. For food you can try the peninsula hotel, they make great dimsum. There's also China town, I forgot the name but there's this place which makes awesome roast pork served into a two parter.

It's been ages but the Japanese food was decent. There's a yakitori place and a hidden sushi restaurant, it's close enough to the Tokyo stuff.

For shopping there's chatuchak

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gail Wynand posted:

Anyone checked out the new Mikkeller bar in Bangkok yet?
Nosir, but I had a look at it and from the location and design it's going to be your pretty typical hiso Ekkamai/Thong Lo crowd doing something interrrrr. Looks like a comfortable place to relax with a beer if you can get a seat, though. Also, given the hiso thing, probably some decent talent on display if you're looking to meet a Khunying, heh.

Food looked good on the FB page, but businesses here are masters of making food that looks right on the outside while being completely wrong on the inside, heh. Still, given the number of burly white dudes with beards that seem to be in the kitchen and behind the bar it's probably a fair shot to be better than average. We are experiencing a beer renaissance at the moment. Wait, it's not a renaissance because we never naissanced in the first place. Basically, a shitload of super-expensive (so cheap for you coming from Singapore) imported and craft beer joints have opened in the last year or two. Some of it's really welcome, but if I see one more loving Belgian beer bar I'm going to poo poo twice and die.

Barfolemew posted:

Any good suggestions for live music (blues, rock, pop, whatever)? I'm mostly planning to just chill out in bars/cafes and eat good food. But i'm open to suggestions if there is some nice things to see/do
Bangkok is bereft of good live music unless you like duos where a woman softly strums guitar while the man whines plaintively and softly into the mic. We also have other variations, such as the wannabe boy band and the pop band that sing pretty whiny songs, sometimes featuring bass and percussion and always featuring the words "kid tung" and "mai kao jai."

That said, there are a few good Thai bands, but where they'll be on a given night is unpredictable. When I want to listen to music here I typically go to Saxophone at Victory Monument. It's way too loving loud, like all truly Thai-owned establishments, but the music is usually good. Lots of actually talented local musicians (horn players, keyboard players, percussionists, etc) play there and there's one Thai female blues singer who used to play at Tokyo Joe's who is fantastic when she's around. Used to go to Tokyo Joe's and Brown Sugar, but both of those closed and re-opened elsewhere and, I think, closed again - not sure. Sometimes I like to go to the Oriental's main bar, where they sometimes have a decent American black female vocalist who sings blues and some standards. I've heard there are decent bands at Fatty's Diner. This is all basically either Blues, R&B or Rock. For Jazz, there's Phra Athit, by the river and a few higher end places around town.

If you want Thai music, you can just hit RCA and wander around (if you're under 30). Of course there's also Look Toong, which is the Isaan style music. Look Toong joints can be pretty fun, but the music is hilariously goofy. Reminds me of conjunto back home, but without the gritos. If you're in the right mood it's fun, and the crowd tends to be very drunk and blue collar which is fun, but the music itself isn't usually very good.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 14, 2014

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Hi everyone! I'm in Singapore at the moment but have been invited to Indonesia by ferry in a couple of days time. I'm wondering before I commit whether malaria is a serious risk in Indonesia. I think we would be going from Bata to Dumai to Pekanbaru. If anyone has any experience in this I'd be glad to hear their take - otherwise I need to come up with new plans!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ad Here the 13th is stunningly good when it's good. Sit in the band's lap, listen to blues. It's near Khao San.

Ratchadapisek Soi 4 has been a huge collection of small live Thai music joints for a long time now. Maybe 20 ~100 person bars most without a cover and almost all with a live band. It's near RCA.

raton fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 14, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Right, Ratchada Soi 4, that's what I was thinking of with the RCA tip.

I was thinking about this tonight. There's this chick from New Orleans I used to kind of know who sings with a band called Celtic Colors at various Irish bars and she can flat out sang. They also had this crazy Japanese fiddle player who was amazing and played a glass fiddle with neon inserts. I'm from fiddle country and he could just plain work that thing. Most farang pub bands are either gimmicky or bad, but Mia and Celtic Colors are great for a cover band.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

cadenza posted:

Hi everyone! I'm in Singapore at the moment but have been invited to Indonesia by ferry in a couple of days time. I'm wondering before I commit whether malaria is a serious risk in Indonesia. I think we would be going from Bata to Dumai to Pekanbaru. If anyone has any experience in this I'd be glad to hear their take - otherwise I need to come up with new plans!
Unless you're going into the middle of the jungle I wouldn't worry too much. Use bug spray, bednets, etc. It's not like malaria prophylaxis is 100% effective anyway plus the side effects suck.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also keep an eye on what the American Embassy is hosting as they generally have almost monthly showings of awesome jazz titans passing through at various nicer venues in Bangkok. The US ambassador to Thailand (most awesome job on Earth, what a lucky mother fucker) often introduces them. Bring your hiso date!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cadenza posted:

I wouldn't rearrange a trip because of malaria scares. Modern prophylaxis isn't as bad as the old stuff used to be but some people still find it unpleasant with sun sensitivity being the usual complaint. I don't know enough about that route to give you specific advice but in general what I suggest is if you're going to be in real jungle for more than a week then go ahead and do it. Spats of jungle for a few days here and there just be a man and wear long sleeves and pants and deal with it. Pretend you're a pith helmeted British explorer man.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah, I spent a few days in a malaria-infested jungle when I was in Bolivia. Just wear pants and long sleeves - white long sleeved shirts are the best. I picked up a cheap one in the town right before I left and threw it away after I got out of the jungle because it got gross. There should be mosquito nets where you sleep too. So if you keep covered up and use bug spray on the exposed areas, you'll be fine.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I'm flying into KL on 1/4/14. I speak English & a little bit of Cantonese. Do I need a phrase book?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
No, but a few phrases of Bahasa Malaysia can be useful (please, thank you, hello, etc.) English is pretty much universal unless you head off into the sticks or really make an effort to find non English speaking places.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 16, 2014

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah you'll be fine only speaking English as long as you're not way out of urban centres. Definitely worth learning a little bit of Bahasa vocab though since not all signs are bilingual.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I'll just google some phrases before I go then, cheers :)

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Woop. Looks like I'll be on Koh Tao for Songkran...!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If you go to Malaysia and try to say anything more than thanks (Terima Kasih sounds like tereema kasay) they will think you can speak bahasa malaysia and then you will have a confusing 30 second conversation in two languages and eventually go back to speaking English. I've been living here four years, you don't need to know anything other than English. Some chinese here speak Cantonese but it's primarily Mandarin so even that's not going to help you out much. Everyone here learns English and you won't have a problem other than trying to figure out Manglish. The only things that are in single language are some road signs that you can probably figure out yourself anyway and things like keluar (exit) or awas (danger/be careful) which you can figure out anyway.

Here's a few things you can learn in BM if you want to impress your teksi driver

Terima Kasih - Thank you
Sama sama - You're welcome (response to Terima Kasih)

That's all you'll ever need.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'll add food names. Before I go somewhere I get recommendations on good food and learn some dishes and drinks. Nasi lemak, curry laksa, roti cenai, whatever. Those are pretty basic dishes, someone else could go beyond the basics.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The problem with that outside of something very simple like nasi lemak is that there are so many variations on those things that you can open up a world of pain trying to figure out what you want. A lot of places will have helpful pictures to help guide you.

Food word basics
Nasi - Rice
Mee/Bee/Bi - Noodle
Goreng - Fried
Roti - Bread
Kopi - Coffee
Teh - Tea
Cham - hosed up mix of tea and coffee
Telor - Egg
Ayam - Chicken
Daging - Literally means flesh but generally used to mean Beef
Gambing - Mutton but mutton here can mean goat or sheep

Nasi Lemak (Nassee Lemahk) - Coconut rice with sambal, can come with curry chicken (kary ayam) or even beef rendang (type of curry). Usually has a side dish of ikan bilis (dried anchovies), peanuts and a few slices of cucumber and an egg, usually boiled.
Nasi Goreng - Fried rice, can be done in a million ways, usually comes with a fried egg. Varies by region again.
Mee Goreng - Fried noodle, see above.
Bihun/Beehoon - Skinny noodles (like spaghettini I guess)
Pan Mee - type of flat noodle.
Chicken Rice - Hainanese chicken rice, boiled rice with boiled chicken and a really gorgeous type of spicey chili sauce on the side. This is called Nasi Ayam in BM but people will think you're weird if you call it that.
Laksa - There are a bajillion variations of laksa and it varies with the region. At it's most basic form it's a type of soup. It usually comes with noodles. The previously mentioned Curry Laksa is curry soup. My favourite type is sarawak laksa but i'm biased and good luck getting it anywhere but sarawak.
Roti Canai (Rotee Chan-eye) - A type of Pratha, indian flat bread usually served with curry (potatoes or if you're going fancy chicken). Again there are a lot of variations on this. A normal breakfast food that you get from mamak (Indian Muslims) but most Kopitiam (coffee shop) have them.
Char Kuay Teow (Char Kway Tee-o) - Flat noodles, can be done in a bunch of ways but usually comes with prawns/cockles and chilis in a weird gravy. People love it but for me it's hit or miss.
Nasi Campur (Nassee Champur) - Like a buffet, you pick out what you want then add on a bowl of rice . This can be literally anything and price will be based on what you pick.
Satay - Does anyone not know what Satay is? Apparently it was invented by malaysians, or maybe singaporeans :D Usually meat on a stick with spicy peanut dipping sauce served with chunks of rice, cucumber and onion.

This is getting long already, if you actually have anything specific you would like to know about Malaysia, BM (I don't speak it but I know lots of people who do) or anything about KL generally just ask here.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I also have similar feelings about Char Kuay Teow. I am fine with stir fried noodles, particularly the Thai or Vietnamese kind but most of the time Char Kuay Teow is greasy, salty and just all round disappointing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Char Kuay Teow (Char Kway Tee-o) - Flat noodles, can be done in a bunch of ways but usually comes with prawns/cockles and chilis in a weird gravy. People love it but for me it's hit or miss.

Yeah, this is really hit or miss. The best can be found in Penang, with large prawns and waxed pork (lap cheong). If you're in KL unless someone local fervently recommends one, skip it because it's usually too greasy and burnt. I personally can't stand the cockles (see ham) they include because it's likely unfresh.

quote:

Nasi Campur (Nassee Champur) - Like a buffet, you pick out what you want then add on a bowl of rice . This can be literally anything and price will be based on what you pick.

There are (sorta) different versions of this "Economy Rice". Nasi Campur is the malay version which commonly has fresh raw vegetables called Ulam on a dish close to the cash register. Chinese is Chap Fan which is usually not halal (they'll put up a sign if it is), and has porky dishes and likely an assortment of tofu.

Then there's the Indian-Muslim Nasi Kandar which is totally not economical at all, but they have a lot of good curries and can be very tasty. These are the places where you can also get good fresh Rotis, which can come in a lot of normal fillings (eggs, bananas) to local (kaya/coconut jam, planta) to... I've had this thing called Roti I Love You once and never again because I don't like having diabetes (sugar, milk powder?, milo hot chocolate powder, horlicks powder, some kind of sweet margarine thing).

quote:

cham - hosed up mix of tea and coffee

There's also Milo Dinosaur which... don't drink it.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 17, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, that's a great guide, actually. Should be linked in the OP. We should probably do one of those for every national cuisine.

I agree on ingredients and I wander around markets learning as much as I can about all the different ingredients. Trying to learn to cook as well over the last 6 months. My issues eating out are are usually about things I don't want, heh, like liver or bones or heaps of fat or processed sausage balls or seafood or fresh water-based animals (which are not considered "seafood" in Thai, annoyingly). Also, thanks to Mom, add the word for MSG to that list. Amazingly, here in a country that loves acronyms, they don't say MSG. Anyway, definitely memorize the words for poo poo you hate, because whatever it is you don't like will end up in everything you order by magic.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Then there's the Indian-Muslim Nasi Kandar which is totally not economical at all, but they have a lot of good curries and can be very tasty. These are the places where you can also get good fresh Rotis, which can come in a lot of normal feelings (eggs, bananas) to local (kaya/coconut jam, planta) or... I've had this thing called Roti I Love You once and never again because I don't like having diabetes (sugar, milk powder?, milo hot chocolate powder, horlicks powder, some kind of sweet margarine thing).
Last time I was in Malaysia I did my usual thing of innocently asking the ethnically Chinese taxi driver about Malays and waiting for the rant. After ranting for probably 15 minutes, I asked him where a good Nasi Kandar was and I got a 5 minute rant about how dirty Nasi Kandar are and how Indians are dirty and "See, never close? How can be clean?" and so on and then how I should only eat at Chinese places because they're clean and noodles are better, etc.

Every Chinese Malaysian taxi driver I meet is like Archie Bunker and it cracks me up to wind them up a bit and let them go. "So, I was reading about your old Prime Minister Mahathir, is he still around? Seems like an interesting guy..."

I ate at the Nasi Kandar, by the way. Excellent, affordable and didn't get sick!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 17, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You are pretty much guaranteed an archie bunker/alf garnet style rant regardless of race here. If it's a malay, they'll complain about the chinese and the indians, if it's a chinese they will complain about the malay and the indians and guess what if they're indian they will complain about the chinese and the malay. My favourite such rant was from an Indian taxi driver complaining about how the Malay stole all their food ideas from Indians and made everything worse.

Also milo dinosaur isn't that bad.

I forgot desserts by the way which are actually really different and not bad here.

Cendol - Shaved ice with coconut milk, green jelly flour things, red bean and gula melaka (type of palm sugar syrup)
Ice Kacang or ABC - Shaved ice again but this time with corn, more weird flour things, peanuts and syrup. Kacang means nuts in Bahasa Malaysia
Sago - This comes from a tree and is like jelly and is delicious. Normally comes in cocount milk with syrup

Fruits
These aren't just in malaysia but if you are in SEA you should try the following at least once
Mangosteen - Weird and tasty
Durian - Lots of varietys from sweet to sour. All smell loving awful. If you like this and malaysians find out they will love you even if they hate it themselves.
Dragon fruit - comes in red and white
Longan - Small white fruit kinda like lychee. Actually there are tons of berry like fruits that are tasty. You can get them almost everywhere and you should try them all. Enjoy the diarrhea.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 17, 2014

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

In case anyone's curious quick trip report from Penang: Ate a lot, generally enjoyed myself, have a tan.

Foodwise the highlights for me were Oyster omelette on lebuh Chulian opposite the fire station. Clearly someone decided that if the best part of food is the crunchy edges they should just make all of it the crunchy bit. Also tried nutmeg juice which was much better than expected, if you like fiery ginger beer I'd recommend it. Tried hot puthu (steamed rice flour with jaggery) from a cart on church street and it was awesome. Line Clear on Jalan Penang was expensive but seriously awesome Nasi Kandar. Finally China House makes like a gajillion really, really good western cakes, which I have come to appreciate as never before since it turns out I really don't like Asian versions of baked cakes. They also had some really fun live music.

Sadly didn't get to try Tek Sen (I was very excited for candied pork) as both times we went we were confronted with a restaurant full of people eating and were told that it was closed :mad: Had a mediocre Assam Laksa from Joo Hoi cafe and a surprisingly pleasant Cendol.

Also I guess we did some sightseeing stuff. Cheong Fatt Tze mansion is pretty but you can only see it as a guided tour if you're not staying there. It's a 1 hour tour that takes in about 3 rooms, at least half of it was either talking about the 'science' of Feng Shui and it's role in the design of the house or telling us about how great the restoration project is and how they do bed and breakfast or the board room is available to rent for functions, etc. This was the reason we were too late for Tek Sen the second time round and I will be forever bitter at that nice old Chinese lady who wasted an hour of my life.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ice Kacang or ABC - Shaved ice again but this time with corn, more weird flour things, peanuts and syrup. Kacang means nuts in Bahasa Malaysia
This stuff is popular up here too and I can't figure out why. I always make fun of my family in-law when they order it. "Hey check out ice cream, it'll blow your mind. It's like this stuff, but with a century of evolution behind it." Seriously, a bowl of ice with random stuff in it. Laziest dessert ever, heh.

Do you guys have the same culture of condensed milk on/in EVERYTHING or is that a holdover from the American military days here? I don't recall seeing it nearly as much in my trips to KL and Penang. Another lazy dessert - toast with condensed milk on it.

MrNemo posted:

since it turns out I really don't like Asian versions of baked cakes.
Non-Indochinese, Non-Japanese Asians should basically just be barred from baking anything sweet and most of anything else too. Yeah, someone will come up with an exception here or there, but those are acceptable casualties for stopping the crime against humanity that is baked goods in most of Asia.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 17, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

This stuff is popular up here too and I can't figure out why. I always make fun of my family in-law when they order it. "Hey check out ice cream, it'll blow your mind. It's like this stuff, but with a century of evolution behind it." Seriously, a bowl of ice with random stuff in it. Laziest dessert ever, heh.

They are starting to put ice cream on ABC here now. It's hilarious.

quote:

Do you guys have the same culture of condensed milk on/in EVERYTHING or is that a holdover from the American military days here? I don't recall seeing it nearly as much in my trips to KL and Penang. Another lazy dessert - toast with condensed milk on it.
My wife loving loves bread (not even toast) with condensed milk on it. I didn't know what the gently caress was going on. Apart from that I don't know much else that gets it added to it but it is definitely a thing in Malaysia too.

quote:

Non-Indochinese, Non-Japanese Asians should basically just be barred from baking anything sweet and most of anything else too. Yeah, someone will come up with an exception here or there, but those are acceptable casualties for stopping the crime against humanity that is baked goods in most of Asia.
There are buns and stuff here that I'm pretty sure are chinese derived that aren't bad. My favourite is Pau kelapa (coconut bun) but you can get it with everything in there from curry to kaya.

Also kueh and other steamed cakes that aren't really baked but still fit in the cake category as far as I'm concerned that can be quite nice.

I think the biggest reason people here don't know how to bake is because ovens are so rare.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's true on the buns and things, yeah. Still, all that siopao type stuff I stick in a different category, along with dumplings and things. It can be legit good, but it's so clearly indigenous to this end of the world, whereas I'm pretty sure all baked stuff is C&D from the West.

I probably should stick an exception for Indians in there too, but I always sort of mentally exclude the subcontinent from Asia even though it's not accurate because they're so different. Various Indian breads are awesome for what they're used for. So, baked goods in India, Japan and former Indochina, okay. Everywhere else, DO NOT WANT.

Let us also take a knee while we consider the crime against the universe that is Asian pizza.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ReindeerF posted:

Every Chinese Malaysian taxi driver I meet is like Archie Bunker and it cracks me up to wind them up a bit and let them go. "So, I was reading about your old Prime Minister Mahathir, is he still around? Seems like an interesting guy..."

Mahathir is a major iffy topic and it's hard to bring him up without either someone (usually Malay) defending him vehemently, or someone (every other race, sometimes Malay) bitching about him for the whole journey. All taxi drivers in Malaysia are political activists behind the steering wheel.

I forgot desserts by the way which are actually really different and not bad here.

Yeah, definitely go for desserts. I don't care for Ice Kacang/ABC but cendol is usually good. If you're in Malacca's Jonker Street, you can find these delicious abominations called Durian Cendol where they dump creamy, frozen durian into the mix. It's extremely filling so don't just take it as tea and think "yep I'll go have some satay celup for dinner because I have the stomach of a black hole".

quote:

Fruits

Others to consider:
Rambutan - little red or yellow hairy balls. Good ones are sweeter than candy, or sour with a sweet tang.

Durian - Just to add to lemonadesweetheart's guide, the best variety is called "Musang King". Not cheap. In SS2 Petaling Jaya, there are these stalls selling All You Can Eat Durian which I don't trust at all, because most likely they are giving subpar durian unless the person you're with knows the owner.

If you can't stand the fruit, there're gateway food like durian candy (blech), freeze-dried durian (debatable) and durian ice cream (all right). Any orang puteh who eats durian is revered as king.

Mangoes - Thai waterlilly mangoes are better in Thailand and cheaper. Go buy it there, not Malaysia. Some good ones are: (a) Dark green, stout and fat mangoes, with orange flesh, are called "Hitam Manis" (Sweet Black). Very sweet and tasty. (b) pale, long, sometimes ending with a rounded "hook", with pale yellow flesh, are called "Gajah" (elephant). Lighter and refreshing.

MrNemo posted:

Oyster omelette

If a restaurant tells you they fry the oyster omelette with beer or Guinness Stout, order it immediately.

ReindeerF posted:

I think the Thai has a stronger condensed milk culture. Most of ours are limited to drinks, but I think it also goes into ABC. I try to avoid it because it's palm oil extract nowadays.

ReindeerF posted:

Let us also take a knee while we consider the crime against the universe that is Asian pizza.

I've had:

Satay Pizza with peanut sauce (gently caress me kill me now)
Beef Rendang Pizza (OK I guess? Why is this more expensive than normal rendang)
Asian Seafood Pizza With Mayo (Kill everything)
Tuna Pizza With Mayo (Death is close)
Middle-Eastern Square Pizzas (Edible, hence never in menus ever again)

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 17, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Condensed milk is the bee's knees. Smash some pumpkin, mix with rice flour, fry it for a bit and slap some condensed milk on it. Or hell, just make some dough, steam it and drench it with condensed milk.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Or just mainline condensed milk. I love loving with the in-laws on condensed milk. Randomly during dinner I'll just straight face them with, "Would anyone like some condensed milk with their food? Probably take that kwayteow to a new level." or whatever. Thai cooking is basically 1/4 oil, 1/4 fish sauce, 1/4 condensed milk 1/8 rice/noodles and then 1/8 other ingredients.

loving works on the taste bud end, though, that's for sure.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've had:

Asian Seafood Pizza With Mayo (Kill everything)
Giving me a chance to dig up and post this, which I've posted before. Tell me this thing doesn't look like it probably rose out of the ocean at the end of a budget version of The Abyss, before flying back to its home planet.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 17, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing like a squid and corn pizza with a unidentifiable white sauce glopped on there and hotdogs in the crust.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Thai desserts are horrifying. I've watched Thai people take three slices of bread, cover one with jam and one with condensed milk, slap the whole thing together like some perverse sandwich and eat it with a cup of instant coffee filled with condensed milk. Horrifying.

And don't even get me started on Thai pizza. Even the nice pizza man from Florence here has started offering a Thai pizza with pineapple and chicken. Sooner or later it's going to be squid and condensed milk, I can feel it in my bones.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Isn't pineapple and chicken an American thing? Or was that ham? I kinda like it anyway.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Malaysia has dominos and pizzahut. I don't know if they are majorly worse than the US but apart from the absence of Pork they seem relatively okay. There are some crazy loving toppings but they are avoidable unless you're drunk and always wondered if a sambal ikan bilis pizza is as awesome as you think it would be.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Thai desserts are horrifying. I've watched Thai people take three slices of bread, cover one with jam and one with condensed milk, slap the whole thing together like some perverse sandwich and eat it with a cup of instant coffee filled with condensed milk. Horrifying.
I love it when the cargo cult food adaptations become literalist. Like the Thai "i cree sanwit" that is literally a split bun with ice cream in it. I'm sure you've seen it many times. Cracks me up every time. Probably lucky they don't add cucumbers and a fried egg like in every other horrible sanwit.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I must've mentioned the infamous CheeZweet: it's a sweet bread roll with the top coating in chocolate sprinkles and kraft singles. While it's probably the most horrifying example of Indonesian desert, it's not alone.

For some inexplicable reason, Indonesia thinks that cheese is a desert food that should be mixed with sugar.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

I love it when the cargo cult food adaptations become literalist. Like the Thai "i cree sanwit" that is literally a split bun with ice cream in it. I'm sure you've seen it many times. Cracks me up every time. Probably lucky they don't add cucumbers and a fried egg like in every other horrible sanwit.

Isn't that a Sicilian thing, warm bun split in half with ice cream? I've had it there and it's great.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I must've mentioned the infamous CheeZweet: it's a sweet bread roll with the top coating in chocolate sprinkles and kraft singles. While it's probably the most horrifying example of Indonesian desert, it's not alone.

For some inexplicable reason, Indonesia thinks that cheese is a desert food that should be mixed with sugar.

No, we don't get cheese in anything. Around here, it would be a hot dog in a sweet roll with chocolate sprinkles. And condensed milk.

Although, happily enough somebody around here introduced i-timtod, which is breaded and fried ice cream. It's pretty goddamn good.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

Does anyone know how easy it is to get Malaysian food in Indonesia? Or how much crossover there is with the two cuisines? I love those weird ice desserts and if I can get them in Indonesia I'll be pretty chuffed. I'm already salivating at the thought of all the satay I'm gonna eat, too bad half my trip takes place during Ramadan.

EDIT: So I actually looked this up and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Es_campur posted:

In Indonesia es campur is sold from humble traveling trolley to restaurants. For Indonesian Muslim, es campur and kolak are popular treats during Ramadan for iftar, often sold prior to breaking the fast.

:dance:

pomegranates fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On the topic of pizza and crazy ingredients I almost forget "white sauce" in pastas. It's not mayonnaise, it's not alfredo sauce, it's not carbonara sauce, it's not cheese, it's not anything identifiable. It is "white sauce" and it gets randomly inserted into all kinds of cargo cult Italian dishes - especially those tiny little baked tins of pasta with cheese on top. Sometimes they say cream sauce too.