Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Southeast Asia Megathread

:siren: Goon Meet Spreadsheet :siren:

The popular backpacker thread here is over five years old and very, very long. The OP seems to not be active anymore so it's not very organized. Here's an attempt to create a new southeast Asia megathread with up to date information. We'll start with some very general information and then go on to individual countries. Please don't take the information here too seriously. I/we are not travel writers, just doing this for fun.

:snoop: NEW Official song for this thread:
Johnny Olsen - Lum Sing Hip Hop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_qEYNY3zk (Thanks Fiskenbob!)
Open in a new tab, click play and read this thread.

Before arrival

Why go there? I don't even know where it is!
You'll see some amazing scenery, meet cool locals, sweat like a pig and eat delicious food all for very little money. Live on $30 (or less) a day! Research says about 99% loved it and can't wait to go back. The remaining 1% were disappointed because it was too hot, dirty and the locals didn't understand AMERICAN.

What, they don't speak AMERICAN?
Depends on what country but generally basic English is widely spoken. If you get off the beaten track and end up in some village without electricity, then English is not likely to be spoken. So what? Just point at what you want and throw them some money! Keep it simple. "Dear sir, may I please have the meat in my fried rice medium rare" won't work. "Fried rice pork" will. Or even better, learn to say it in their language! Most languages in SE Asia are tonal, which means one word will mean something else if you pronounce it slightly differently. Let's take the word glai in Thai for example. Pronounced with a high tone, it means near. Pronounce it with a medium/normal tone and it means far. Have fun :)

What are them ay-see-uns like? Do I need to bring... protection?
People are generally pretty friendly and laid back. If you want things done quickly and efficiently, you've gone to the wrong place. Violence towards tourists is unlikely unless provoked. Get into a fight with a local and they will all gang up on you, but why would you do that in the first place.

My mom tells me the food isn't safe to eat!
Your mom is right! Asians don't eat food, that's why they're so small and skinny. Yes, you're likely to get diarrhea and in worst case have to spend a day next to a toilet while your stomach is adjusting to the local bacteria. It sucks but that's just how it is. Don't think that sticking to places with plenty of patrons will save you. I once ate at a restaurant full of people and still got explosive vomit & diarrhea.

Is it really that cheap? I'm unemployed and live with my parents so I don't have much money.
If you're willing to eat the local food and sleep in cheap, but still decent hotels, yes! Let me give you an example. In Thailand, a decent hotel room with air conditioning would cost about 500 baht. One meal costs 30-40 baht. Let's say you eat three times a day and a few snacks inbetween, so that's 200 baht. Let's add another 300 baht for getting around (taxis, buses, motorbikes) and some small shopping (one t-shirt or so). That's 1000 baht total. 1000 baht is rougly $30.

When should I go? I'm dating my third internet girlfriend and she gets really jealous whenever I leave my house.
November-February has the best weather and that's when most people go. It'll be crowded with tourists and hotels will be a bit more expensive. The rest of the year sees fewer tourist especially when the monsoon rain arrives around May or something like that. Hotel prices drops.

Ok, you have convinced me. I'll trim my neckbeard, leave my parents' basement and go! What do I need to bring?
You're not going to some rainforest tribe where they've never seen a white guy. Most people bring too much poo poo and end up with hilariously big backpacks. They got one thing right though, the backpack. Don't travel with a suitcase. It's going be hot so bring light clothes that dries quickly. You might also want to bring one set of "nice" clothes though for that romantic dinner with a stunning local girl you just met (who is really a ladyboy and the waiter is giggling behind your back). But really, anything you forget to bring can probably be found in a convenience store.

The country I want to go to requires a Visa. Won't my Mastercard work?
Visa regulations varies from country to country. Just Google it and make sure you have your visa ready before going, otherwise you might not even be allowed to board your flight. Some visas you get on arrival, other takes days to get ready. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_United_States_citizens - or replace "United_States" with your own lame, backwards, freedom hatin' country.

I've never been on an airplane before. How do I get on it? I'm assuming there is enough space for me to set up my laptop and continue my WoW raids.
Bring your passport and luggage and get to the airport EARLY, at least two hours before departure for international flights. Don't think people will wait for you. If you're late, you WILL miss your flight and that's it. If you're booking everything yourself and need to transfer/change flights on the way, make sure to leave plenty of time (at least two hours) between flights.

Ok, I'm all set to go but how much money should I bring and where can I exchange money?
Well, personally I've never brought any local currency with me and have relied on ATMs. This is however probably not a very good idea. I'd recommend bringing enough local currency for the first couple of nights. Never exchange money at the airports because they give you the worst rates. Don't keep all your money and cards in your wallet. Have a secret emergency stash somewhere that you can get to if you happen to lose your wallet or whatever. Try to learn the currency beforehand. Don't stand there like an idiot, flashing months of wages to the taxi driver while trying to figure out how many of this and that banknotes he should get.

Wait, what? I need to get shots too? No way, I'm afraid of needles!
Sheep-Goats explains: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679#post371853945

After arrival

OMG GUYZ I'm actually here! I made it! The first thing I did after checking into my hotel was go on the internets! Who wants to meet up?
:waycool:

lol I went to the bathroom but someone had stolen the toilet and there was just a hole in the gound so I walked out and shat my pants
That was the toilet! Squat toilets are common, especially in rural areas. You might also notice that there is only a water bucket to clean yourself with. If you are not confident in fingering your poophole, bring toilet paper at all times.

I want to ride a motorcycle and look badass, but I don't know how to ride.
Pompous Rhombus wants to tell you all about losing his virginity motorcycling in Southeast Asia.

I want to buy a SUIT because it's cheap and I get to look important.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1207953

~I'm~ keeping a ~*blog*~ and I want ~everybody~ to read about ~*my*~ fabulous adventures with the ~orientals~
Uhh... ok.

KingAsmo - http://siamesetwinge.blogspot.com/
Thailand, Laos and China

dwoloz - http://www.bikemandan.com/blog/category/seasia-2009?order=asc
Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia on a bicycle(!)

RangerScum - http://tomolson.blogspot.com/
Thailand

macado - http://blog.macado.org/
Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam (3.5 years ago, might be a little outdated)

- - -

Everybody, feel free to contribute! Want to add something to the OP? Write it yourself, keep it short and if it doesn't look completely retarded, I'll add it.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Countries

This is where we tell you a bit about each country in SE Asia. We'll keep it fairly short and just cover the basics because there's already tons of information on the 'net. If you want to know even more, check out these websites:

http://www.wikitravel.org
http://www.talesofasia.com
http://www.travelfish.org
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
http://www.xe.com/ucc/ (for currencies)

:siren: Can't get enough? Naughty Steve. will satisfy your link fetish: LIIINKS, MORE, HARDER, DEEPER, LINKS :siren:

Lonely Planet makes hugely popular guidebooks and you'll see people walking around with them like a holy bible, able to save them from any situation. If someone came up to them with a gun, they would probably say "a moment please" while frantically looking for the muggings chapter. Yeah, they make good books but you can survive without one by using the internet or just explore on your own. You might miss out on a thing or two, but at least you had your own adventure. Asking fellow travellers for advise also works but should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thailand

Thailand is hugely popular and a common place to start out for people travelling in southeast Asia. It's a developing country that is rather developed but still quite cheap. Thais has understood the money tourism can bring in so getting where/what you want isn't too hard. Transportation is good, you can easily fly or take a bus almost anywhere, and booking it is equally easy as you can do this right from your hotel. You can divide Thailand into four parts:

North
Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pai etc. Mountains and nature stuff, far away from any beaches. Good if you like trekking. Avoid long neck village tours, they're just human zoos. It can get really cold here, so be prepared if you're coming from the island with just t-shirts and shorts.

Northeast (Isaan)
Nakorn Ratchasima, Ubon Ratchatani, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen etc. Where the poor people doing the lovely jobs in Bangkok come from. Few tourists go there as there are not so many attractions. There are however a few "hidden" gems though. Go here if you are set on seeing a different side of Thailand.

Central
Bangkok, Ayuttaya, Lopburi etc. Bangkok is insane. It's noisy, dirty, smelly, constant traffic jams. Shop all day, go to temples, get wasted in night clubs. It's not a green city, it's not a beautiful city, yet some people love it.

South
Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Chang, Koh whatever, etc. Beaches and islands with some places looking just like those postcards with crystal clear water. Live next to the beach in a bungalow. Get wasted with young people/hippies on full moon parties. Hot and humid.

Thailand is also famous for sex tourism. While you will see a few old geezers with women half their age, it probably won't ruin your holiday. You won't see old pedos with kids walking around. You should also be aware of that in 99% of all cases, nobody forces the women into this. They are the exact equivalent of a redneck teenager who has two kids by 16 and is too lazy to get a real job. Prostitutes can make more money in one night than what the average Thai does in one month.

Recommended minimum budget per day
1000 baht (about $30). 500B for a decent hotel room, 200B for food/water, 300B for transportation, some shopping, etc. You can certainly live on less but then you're a smelly hippie and not having any fun.

Recommended food
One great thing about Thailand is the many street stalls serving fantastic food/snacks for little money. Go crazy, try everything. If you don't like it, you've just wasted very little money. Have some of that bbq chicken and fresh pinapple or watermelon.

Useful phrases

English: I can tell by your adam's apple that you're not a girl, although you certainly look like one, especially now that I have consumed three large bottles of beer.
Thai: Pom raak ter

English: Sorry, but I only like women. I have never slept with a man before and don't intend to do so. Perhaps you have an attractive sister you could introduce me to?
Thai: Ter raak pom mai

:colbert: Sheep-Goats did not find my phrases useful enough and wrote his own:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679#post371787402

Drinking and smoking
Alcohol and cigarettes are available in most convenience stores. Consuming alcohol in public is not illegal, or at least I've never seen anyone get busted for it. Drugs are illegal however and should be used discreetly. Penalties for getting caught with it are harsh. On some "important" days, sale of alcohol will be prohibited, which means bars and nightclubs will be closed. One example would be an election day where the government wants the people to go vote instead of getting shitfaced. However, they forgot that tourists cannot vote and so on...

Beware of
Taxi, tuk-tuk and gem scams. These are well known scams, just Google them. If someone offers you something and it seems too good to be true, it's a scam. Some places charge more for foreigners than locals, such as national parks or the Grand Palace in Bangkok. This is an unavoidable scam. If you're asian and look somewhat Thai, it is possible to avoid this by simply pretending to be Thai. Since this forum is full of males, it's very likely that you'll want to go on a "ping pong show". I've heard about scams where they charge insane prices for drinks and block the exit, forcing you to pay. Simply avoid this by not going. Ignore all the touts offering "ping pong show, sexy show, loving show".

Trip report and pics
RangerScum's photo trip report: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264732
joedevola's trip report: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&pagenumber=5#post373037333
Sheep-Goats' Silom (Bangkok) Guide: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&pagenumber=62#post393768744
Sheep-Goats' where-to-live map: http://i53.tinypic.com/fd4zu0.jpg

Laos

Laos is rather undeveloped and quite laid back. People go to bed early so don't expect amazing nightlife like in Thailand. Laos is also landlocked, so don't expect any beaches. Laos sees mostly younger tourists who rents a dirt cheap bungalow and smoke weed all day, because they're cooooool. Yeah, let's just sit around here and smoke weed all day, maaaaaan. You can get around with buses but they're often old and donated from another country. This means your trip will take a very long time (8+ hours) and be very boring. Flying is also an option. There are a few sights to see but honestly not that many. Go to Laos if you want a slow and relaxed holiday. When you read about Laos you'll see the local beer, Beerlao, mentioned a lot. That's because it's the only god drat beer in the country. Fortunately, it's not bad. If you're coming from Thailand and you've learnt a few Thai words, chances are that you can use them in Laos as well. The languages are quite similar.

North
Luang Prabang etc. Everybody loves this little town with old French buildings. It's a nice town but I don't quite get what it is that people like. Maybe it's because I'm from Yurop (Europe) and have seen plenty of old European buildings before.

Central
Vientiane. Spend one day in the capital and get out, get out fast. It is the most boring capital city I've ever been to. You can see all the sights in one day.

South
Savannakhet, Pakse, Si Phan Don etc. Best explored with a motorcycle. Do a loop around the Bolaven Plateau, visit the temple ruins at Champasak, relax with hippies in a bungalow on Si Phan Don (4000 Islands).

200000 kip (a bit over $20). 60000 kip for your room. 80000 kip for food and drinks. 60000 kip to spend like a king... no wait, that's too much. Actually, forget this. This is too hard. It depends on where in Laos you are. On Si Phan Don, I could live on 80000 kip a day. Luang Prabang cost me almost twice as much I think.

Recommended food
The bad thing about Laos is probably the food. I think poor commodities are to blame, while :siren:Sheep-Goats:siren: would like to blame it on lovely cooks. The best meal I had in Laos was decent at best. Another problem is the lack of restaurants serving locals. There are a few but they're hidden away from tourists. Tourists get the expensive tourist food such as pizza and hamburgers and it all tastes bland and boring. Yup, the food in Laos is both expensive and bland.

Useful phrases
See above for useful Thai phrases. Works in Laos as well.

Drinking and smoking
Beerlao is available everywhere. I don't smoke or do drugs but it seems to be easy to get hold of as every other backpacker is constantly smoking.

Beware of
I don't know anything particular you should be aware of. The Laoitians have not taken scamming to the level of the Thais. I never had any issues nor heard about anything.

Trip report and pics
Ringo R's photo trip report: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3248304

Vietnam: - (Written by Cheesemaster200)

Vietnam is newer to the travel and backpacking scene in southeast Asia, but as the country is essentially one giant beach, it is quickly gaining popularity. When most people think of Vietnam, the first thing that comes to mind is the war back in the 60s and 70s, or the American war as it is known there. Vietnam has been a country which has been in conflict ever since the fall of the last imperial dynasty to the French, and only in recent decades have they been able to find a sense of national identity. Tourism has also been one of the most up and coming industries, and with good reason. Vietnam has many natural wonders, beautiful beaches, and a sense of history which spans not just Asian cultures, but western as well. As it is fairly new to the scene, travel in Vietnam now has the benefits of going to Laos and Cambodia (less people) with the benefits of the tourist backbone of Thailand. You can truly get a good cultural experience, without most of the headaches.

What to do
Vietnam is essentially split into three regions, the north, central and south. All three have three distinct cultures, foods, customs and nightlife. These are a few of the "must do" activities if you want to follow the tourist trail:

North:
The north of the country is generally centered around the city of Hanoi, the capital. The city of Hanoi is worth at least a few days. Sites to see include Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the Hỏa Lò Prison (Hanoi Hilton), the Temple of Literature, and getting lost in the old quarter. For a backpacker just off the plane, the place to be is in the Old Quarter where you will find a ton of infrastructure catering to everything from a cheap hostel to the actual Hilton Hotel. Outside of the city, the north of Vietnam is renowned for its awesome landscapes. The town of Sapa up by the Chinese border will show you some cooler temperatures and local hill tribes. Down towards the coast, a boat trip into the magnificent Ha Long Bay with a stopover at Cat Ba Island are well worth your time.

Central:
Central Vietnam is generally based around the string of cities of Hue, Da Nang and Hoi An. Hue was the former imperial capital of the country before the French arrived. If you are a fan of Chinese architecture, archaeology sites and touring of temples, the city of Hue will give you lots to do. Sites to not be missed include the Citadel, the tomb of Tu Doc, and the Thien Mu Pagoda. For someone just off the plane (or bus), look to Pham Ngu Lao Street for a variety of very nice hotels, hostels, and bars which cater to the tourist crown. It was at a bar called "Apocalypse Now", drinking some bears in the open air night while listening to "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones where I was once taken back by the whole history of the place.
A little bit south past Hue, you get to Da Nang which is a rather boring city by itself (unless you are riding through it), aside from its fantastic beaches. China Beach, as the American's named it during the war is a ribbon of near perfection which is slowly giving way to upscale beach resorts between the city of Da Nang and Hoi An. If you are in the area, a visit to the marble mountain is also a good place to visit.
Finally, Hoi An is the definitive tourist destination in Vietnam and probably has the biggest backpacker infrastructure outside of Saigon or Hanoi. You can roll into the downtown here and immediately find a nice hotel or guesthouse. The same thing goes for shopping and bars. Like Da Nang, the beaches here are beautiful, and if you have some cash to spend, you can stay at a 5 star beach front resort for no more than $100 a night. Hoi An also has a very strong cultural aspect with its Ancient Town. The premier tourist destination in the region, the ancient town blends the modern comforts of nice restaurants with local artisans and makes a great walk at night. Beware though, it can get kind of touristy and crowded, especially when they do the lamp lighting on the river.

South:
The infamous South Vietnam, now integrated with North Vietnam, is almost a country on itself. Much of this is due to the cultural split which was a result of the many wars, specificly the American war. You will find that the prices are higher, the hotels and guesthouses are a bit older and run down, and the nightlife is just that much more wild. South Vietnam centers around the city of Saigon, which is now known as Ho Chi Minh City. While the latter is the official name according to the government, it is a bit bulky and most people just know it as Saigon. Within the city, there are many famous places to visit. The reunification palace is worth at least a picture. St. Josephs Cathedral and the post office is worth a look. For a good time, hit up the rooftop bar on the famous Rex hotel. Its a bit pricey, but the atmosphere is hard to beat. I also hear the Saigon zoo is quite worth it. For someone just off the plan, Pham Ngu Lao is the place to be if you want the comforts of the backpacker crown. Keep in mind though, that unlike other cities in the north and central region, the backpacker area here is more equated with Khao San Road of Bangkok in that it is part central and full of obnoxious hippies. Either way, you will be able to find what you need there.
Other parts of South Vietnam include Nha Trang, which is a very popular beach town. Here you will find again that there are higher prices and more tourists than the more northerly beaches though. Worth a visit though if you have time. The greater Mekong also has many small villages, rivers, and floating crap which can an experience, if not a bit more primitive. The Cu Chi tunnels, outside of Saigon are also usually on the to do list.

Recommended Budgets:
The Vietnamese Dong is the most inflated currency in the world. Last I checked, it was 17,000VND to the USD. A meal at a decent restaurant will go for 30,000-60,000VND. For street food, you can find a bowl of pho for as little as 5,000VND or less if you have a good eye and veer out of the tourist area. Western style hotels are usually around $30-$60, and that will get you A/C, HBO, a free breakfast, and peace of mind if you are worried about being in a strange country. Guesthouses can go down to $5 a night if you look hard enough, though prices are getting higher as more people visit the country. As a general rule of thumb, the more touristy the area, the more expensive it will be. Saigon and the south is generally a lot more expensive than the north. Dollars are used in all major cities, though ATMs are so plentiful, you will eventually just switch to the Dong. Negotiation is expected for all street vendors, some hotels, but not at food establishments. 9/10 times you can probably negotiate a cheaper room at a quiet hotel by just pretending to walk out.

Recommended Food:
I could go on with this forever, the food is epic in Vietnam, though might take some getting used to if you are not used to exotic cuisine. The rule is that the Vietnamese eat everything. If it moves, and they can kill it, they eat it. I would definitely try some snake, (if not just to say you tried it), prawns and at least one whole squid on the beach. The french/Vietnamese cuisine was my favorite. Try the braised orange duck, the caramelized shrimp, and at least one type of whole fish. If you are in Hue, sample the stir-fry. It is hot as gently caress, but extremely delicious. When Hue was the capital, all the emperors had cooks make a ton of different types of food. It shows. As with all southeast Asian countries, if its on a stick, it is an orgasmic culinary experience. Fish sauce is... fish sauce..
The one thing which everyone must try when going to Vietnam is the classic dish called Pho. It is essentially a noodle soup with various greens and either chicken or beef in it. It is the staple food of the country and is eaten at all times of the day. It is available everywhere.

Drinking and Smoking:
Unlike Laos, Vietnam has many localized beers which are usually named for the city you are in. They are always cheap, and always plentiful. I would suggest trying Tiger and Hue, as they were my favorites. All major cities have a nice backpacker zone for comfort bars, but if you want to get in with the locals, try a beer garden or Bia Hoi where you can drinking draft beer over ice for pennies. I never went with the whole ice thing to avoid a stomach issue, but once you are in country for a bit I am sure you will be fine.

Beware of:
Pompous Rhombus on his motorcycle. Actually, just watch out for all motorcycles, they are everywhere. On the scam front, it is the same old poo poo as any SE Asian country. Hanoi airport has had a lot of problems with the taxi mafia taking tourists to their paid off hotel. Make sure to tell the taxi driver at the airport where you are going and make sure to use the word "reservation". If you are approached by anyone on the street, they are selling you something and do not accept or do anything with them unless you want a confrontation. In Hanoi there are these women wearing conical hats with pineapple carrying things on their shoulders. They like to go up to tourists and put the carrying things on your shoulder, and put the conical hat on your shoulder. If you take a picture with them, they want a ridiculous amount of money for it. It helps if you are 6'-3" as they cant get to your shoulder :smug:. The police are more or less useless, so if you lose $1500 worth of poo poo while motorbiking from Hue to Hoi An, don't even bother trying to get a police report. Touts and merchants on the side of the road will leave you along if you tell them no or go away (in general).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Do they hate the Americans since we bombed the poo poo out of them in the 60s?
A: I went as an American, and I can say there was very little anti-American sentiment in Vietnam. The only place I got a little negativity was in the north where you would say you were American to a cab driver and the conversation would go silent, and it might have only been because it was an awkward conversation to begin with. In general, the Vietnamese have moved on from their troubled past and are happy to see the western world give an interest in their mostly poverty stricken country. In the south, the echos of American culture still ring strong, and most people there love Americans. Also note that the vast majority of the populaton was born after the end of the war, so if you are under the age of 30, they hold the same feeling towards Americans as you would them.

Q: Am I going to step on a landmine?
A: While mines and unexploded ordinance are still in Vietnam, they are mostly in the jungle and rural areas and off the beaten path. There has been extensive work to remove leftover ordinance and as long as you aren't bushwhacking in the DMZ you will be fine.

Q: I saw the Top Gear Vietnam Special and want to do that, where do I start!
A: If you have never ridden a motorcycle in Asia or been to Vietnam before, I wouldn't suggest it. AS a TV crew, you have a support crew and it makes doing something that epic a lot easier. That being said, I would still do some motorbiking in the country if you are an experienced rider. When I was in Vietnam I did a guided tour from Hue to Hoi An over the Hai Van pass (much like the Top Gear special). Not only did I get to see the awesome road which goes over the pass, but our local guide brought us to some very out of the way places. One of these places was a deserted beach with straw/bamboo umbrellas where we had a fresh squid and prawns. It was the highlight of my trip. I also rented scooters on Cat Ba Island, based off of Cat Ba Town. If you are doing Ha Long Bay, I would recommend doing the island motorbike tour. There are literally no cars, busses or trucks on the place and you can do some really fun motorbiking through deserted hills and rural fishing villages.

Q: Do I need a Visa before going to Vietnam?
A: Your country might be different, but for a US citizen the current answer is yes. You must pre-arrange some sort of visa in advance. There is a visa on arrival program, but again it requires that you apply for it in advance. Do not show up to Vietnam without a visa, it won't end well with you.

Q: DO I need anti-malerials?
A: If you are only going to be in the cities and tourist areas, I would say no. If you are going to go into the Mekong Delta or into the inland jungle more, I would say yes. Most of Vietnam is considered safe.

Brunei (Written by hbf)

I can't really put a number on it. It's definitely not as cheap as Thailand or anything. I think I took out about 100BND for my 2 day stay and had some left over.

Recommended food
I am not sure if there are any certain Brunein food. Since it is completely surrounded by Malaysia the food is pretty much Malay and Indonesian. There is also some Chinese and Indian influence as there is a fairly significant number of immigrants from those countries.

Useful phrases
-

Drinking and smoking
Brunei is a Sharia country. Alcohol is banned outright from being sold. Foreigners can bring in a small amount. I actually brought in way more than the limit (had like 4 bottles of Sangsom) but they didn't really care, I just told them I was confused by the metric system because I'm American... You are allowed to drink, just not in public. If you're in Brunei and need a drink, what most expats/tourists do is drive out to the border of Malaysia. I guess right over the border there is usually a shanty selling beer and sometimes a basic bar. I heard from a few Brits I ran into they can turn into quite a party some nights.

Just about everyone smokes tobacco however, and pretty heavily. Any kind of drugs are probably unheard of there.

Beware of
Not following etiquette while visit any Muslim site like a Mosque. Don't poke around the place on your own and always ask if it's ok to do anything. You can't take pictures inside Mosques and you also can't walk on the floor directly. They will put down carpets so you can walk around however, but you can't step off. I also had to wear a burka type thing to go inside the Mosques. Not a full one that covered my face, but it was a big black gown with a high collar that comes up your neck. Yes, I am a man.

Trip report
hbf - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679#post371772543

Malaysia

Beasticly would like to share his satisfying sessions with the young gay culture of Malaysia
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post371810978

Hantu has a lot to add because he's a real Malay and pissed off
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&pagenumber=2#post371922660

lemonadesweetheart likes Malay food
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=291#post425826248

Philippines

ReindeerF's favorite city in the world is Manila so he wrote about this love for it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&pagenumber=3#post372503943

Burma/Myanmar (Written by Cheesemaster200)

Burma
Unlike the other countries in Southeast Asia, Burma can definitely be considered the backpacker frontier. Unlike its neighbors, you will not find backpacker ghettos, a western party scene or widely availible tourist infrastructure. While sometimes annoying, this fact definitely makes the country extremely appealing for anyone looking to get away from the rampant commercialization and faux Asian culture to the east. The country has a very prominenty Indian influence, and can best be described as a "Buddhist India or Bangladesh". That being said though, the country is not nearly as hectic or aggressive as its Hindu neighbors.

What to do:
Most tourism in Burma is generally centered around the "big four attractons of Rangoon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. This is mainly due to the fact that the Burmese government makes it extremely difficult to roam freely around much of the country. In addition, attractions and towns not near these areas are very hard to get to, much less get by in.

Rangoon:
The colonial captial of Burma, Rangoon boasts some of the country's biggest attractions as well as the base for most of it's tourist infrastructure. Subsequently, it is also practically the only port of entry and exit from the country. While in Rangoon, make sure to hit up the Swedagon Paya, the Sule Paya and some of the old colonial architecture half in ruins throughout the city. For food, make sure to try out the quasi-Indian quarter around Sule Paya. You can get some delicios cheap eats there for around 500 kyat. If you are looking for accomodation, I would recommend the Okinama guesthouse located on a alley street adjacent to Sule Paya. As you can tell, the Sule Paya is a nice little place to base yourself out of. To get around town (and from the airport), you will need to use an un-metered taxi. Don't worry, there are no meters anywhere so don't feel too bad when the taxi cartel at the airport scams you for a flat $10 transfer to downtown. If you are looking for a day trip, hit up Bago outside the city a bit.

Mandalay:
Up along the Irriwaddy river in the North of Burma, Mandalay drums up visions of the quintiscential ancient Asian city in the middle of the jungle. In reality though, it is neither ancient, in the jungle or representative of a southeast asian city. However, this doesn' mean that it isn't worth a visit. Mandalay can be a very nice city to just explore. Its location up north makes it a good break from the monsoon if you just spent 3 days getting soaked in Rangoon, trust me. Key highlights are walking up Mandalay Hill (don't loving cheat), and visiting the various monestaries and payas littered throughout the city. Mandalay is also a base point should you want to get adventerous in the far north of the Burma. I stayed at the Royal Guesthouse when I was there, and it had decent and cheap accomodation. However, they did fleece me on my boat ticket down to Bagan. Don't hit up the palace if the fact that it was made with forced labor bothers you.

Bagan:
The jewel of Burma, Bagan is the equivalent to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, but with less tourists and more structures to explore. You can base yourself out of three towns in the area; Old Bagan, New Bagan or Nyang U. I would recommend Nyang U as it has less government owned property and more backpacker infrastructure than the other towns. Once again, be ready to deal with taxi mafias and extortionary flat rates to/from the ferry pier or the airport. To get around the temples you can either hire a horse cart and driver (prices based on demand) or rent a bike for 1500 kyat. I recommend the later since you have a lot more freedom, just be wary of flat tires though and drink lots of water. It isn't too hot here, but its still Southeast Asia. You can easilt spend 3-4 days here, depending on what your tolerance for bike riding, painting touting and somewhat generic temple architecture is.

Inle Lake:
Never been to Inle Lake, but I here it is one of the most touristed places in the country. It is also used as a base for trekking for most trekkers in Burma. You can do some nice 3-4 day treks around the countryside here and see some off the beaten track stuff. In addition, you can also go around the late and see the floating villiages, fisherman, etc. etc. Its on the eastern side of the country, so kind of out of the way from Mandalay and Bagan (which is why I didn't go).

Again, these are just the main attractions. If you really want to get away from it all and depart western culture entirely, I would suggest getting a permit for the far north or heading down to Mrauk U in the Southwest of the country. I hear those are both very adventerous places to go.

Recommended Budget:
The US and Euro governments have a financial services embargo on the entire country. Therefore, You will need to bring in the required amount of USD to cover your entire trip. There are no ATM's and most places don't covert Baht or other regional currencies. That being said, you MIGHT be able to get a wire transfer through singapore through some of the upmarket hotels in Rangoon for an astronomical commission (~30%). You probably don't want to do this. Expect accomodation to be $5-10 a night minimum, depending on where you are and how busy it is. This will usually get a private room with shared bathrooms. Look for about $15-20 for bus rides, $2-40 for boat rides (depending on the route and time of year), $70 for flights and $10-50 for trains. Food is extremely cheap, look for a max of 4000 kyat at any Burmese restaurant, though it can get higher at expat and tourist places. Note that the trains, some airlines, some boats, and some hotels are owned by the government. If supporting the military junta is something you wish to avoid, then be wary with what hotels and transportation methods you patronize.

Recommended Food:
Burma doesn't really have the reputation for cuisine as Thailand or Vietnam do, and in fact I found most of the food kind of mediocre. The curries here can best be described as Indian, but chunkier and a little less flavorful. As with any Southeast Asian country, noodle soup is in abundance and you can more than get by on that. What you will find is that the Indian food is extremely good. In Rangoon, Bagan, and Mandalay you will find a large variety of Indian restaurants which serve up cheap and delicious meals. I would strongly recommend trying it out.

Drinking and Smoking
Myanmar Beer is everywhere. You can find Mandalay beer up north a bit, but most of the time you will be drinking out of large recycled bottles of Mandalay. There are a few Tiger Beer drinking stations around the major cities (such as Mandalay), but for the most part their presence is not very big. Smoking isn't that big in Burma, but they do love their betel nut. Thats not blood all over the sidewalk and that guy you just passed is not a zombie. The ubiquous red betel nut is chewed and spit by almost all men. I thought it was disgusting and didn't try it. Feel free to try it I guess...

Beware of:
Burma is a rather isolated country run by an authoritarian military government. That being said, the country is extremely safe for travelers. You should have no trouble walking alone at night by yourseld in Rangoon or Mandalay. That being said, don't be a dumbass and use common sense regardless. The biggest problem you will have are people trying to scam the poo poo out of you. The most obvious of these scams are the taxi mafias which you will more than likely come into contact with. Anyplace where you are sort of stuck away from where you are going with no other transport but taxis will yield you a bunch of taxi drivers offering the same extortionary price with nothing you can do about it. It sucks, but what are you going to do. Also, watch where you walk. The Burmese sewer system is not what I would call very advanced or well maintained. Finally, don't be a dumbass and try to stir up a revolution or something. Keep your politics to yourself and don't do anything stupid. I met some guy in Rangoon during my first night in Burma, and he was planning on "stopping by Aung San Suu Kyi's house to make an appointment and talk with her". I would not recommend such things if you don't feel like being deported or detained.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Should I go, and how should I spend my money?
A: The biggest question that seems to go through everyone's head in regards to Burma. From a personal safety perspective, you are perfectly safe. The government will crucify anyone fucks with a tourist so you have nothing to worry about in that regard. However, the dollars that you spend in country will eventually end up in the hands of a rather barbaric military junta with a long history of human righs violations. I have outlined areas where you can limit your exposure to this sort of spending, but ultimately you will not be able to fully isolate yourself from it. Other factors which go into this are your personal schedule and beliefs. If you are tight on time or don't like staying in lovely guesthouses, you might feel the need to possibly put more money in the goverment purse. The choice of whether to go, how much to spend, and where is your choice and your choice alone. Weigh the issues, your situation and make a decision based upon that. I have always felt that Lonely Planet and lots of other publications like to pressure people with guilt trips about traveling in the country. However, I have always found this hypocritical for obvious reasons. Decide on your priorities and make your own choice.
In my opinion, you should go. There are very few places in the world where you can see the level of authentic culture as you can in Burma. It is in many way untouched by the tourist trail which plagues so many other countries, but at the same time has enough infrastructure to not be completely ridiculous. In addition, the Burmese people are the ones who will need to rise up and change their world. They will never do that if they are kept isolated from the rest of the world. If you go, make sure to interact with the locals and try to find and share with the "real Burma". I think that will do much more good than any type of travel boycott.

Q: Why are all the men wearing skirts?
A: It's not a skirt, its a Lungi, or South Asian version of a sarong. Unlike most other SE Asian countries, this traditional dress is still worn by most of the population.

Q: What is the best way to get around?
A: The easiest, but most expensive way to get around is by air. However, note that Burmese airlines don't have the best safety record and a couple of them are owned by the government. However, not ALL of them are owned by the government, so don't rule air travel out entirely. Buying tickets is easy from any travel agency or guesthouse. All airfare must be paid for it dollars, by law. Busses are long and uncomfortable, but ultimately the cheapest and all owned by private companies. Expect at least 12 hours from Rangoon to Mandalay. Boats are a fun and scenic way of seeing the country, though their times are irregular and dependent on water levels and the season. I would recommend the trip from Mandalay to Bagan if you can fit it in your schedule, it was quite nice.

Q: What about visas?
A. You will need a visa from either your home country or from a Burmese consolate abroad. It's comparitively cheap (especially for an American), but they can be picky if you put down an occupation or purpose which is not in line with the government's ideaology. That is, don't put down journalist, freedom fighter, LF poster, etc. as your occupation if you don't want your visa denied.

- - -

More countries will be added! Go ahead and write!

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 18, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

KingAsmo posted:

My friend and I did a blog while on our 3 months in Thailand, Laos, and China. If you want to have some crazy experiences on very little money, give it a look.

http://siamesetwinge.blogspot.com

That is the most well written blog I've ever seen. I'm lost for words. Nice pics too.

The Wildcard posted:

Edit: If anyone has any island/beach stories, which ones are awesome, which ones to avoid, I'd be interested, I'm still trying to decide about that.

Not really a beach person, but I've been to a few of the islands, so here goes:

Phuket - Stay away. Expensive, full of all kinds of tourists, doesn't even feel like you're on an island.

Koh Samui - A bit better than Phuket but full of young obnoxious douchebags on their way to a Full Moon Party.

Koh Larn - A small island half an hour from Pattaya. A few alright beaches but nothing amazing. Best beaches around Pattaya though. Go here if you're in Pattaya and want to go for a swim.

Koh Samet - Probably my favorite island. A small island not too far from Bangkok with some nice beaches. Pretty quiet unless it's a weekend when the Bangkok Thais invade it.

Koh Chang - Good island to go it if you're on your way to Cambodia, because it's right next to the border. It's a rather big island but not crowded at all. Get a motorbike and explore!

For the average person though, Koh Samui or Phuket will probably be fine.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I will add this to the OP but please read:

Everybody, feel free to contribute! Want to add something to the OP? Write it yourself, keep it short and if it doesn't look completely retarded, I'll add it to the OP. If you want to write about a country, please use my format for consistency. If you think my format is poo poo, suggest a better one.

Do you want everybody to know about your super amazing life-changing trip? Write an endless trip report and I'll link to it in the OP. Once again, please do put some effort into it. I will not have an OP full of "yeah so I went to Thailand, wuz pretty cool, banged some hookas, 'bout 10 bux a night" trip reports :(

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'll write up more on Laos, I've been all up in that bitch (twice). Also, a motorbike section is needed!

:siren: Pompous Rhombus in da house :siren: Everybody listen to him because when you were scratching your neckbeard on Khao San road, Pompous was pulling stand-up wheelies on his GSX-R 1000 through minefields in Cambodia. Go ahead and add/edit/start over what I've written so far.

Beasticly posted:

Also, maybe a section on packing and what to bring would be good?

I have written pretty much what you wrote in the OP, but with fewer words. I honestly feel that there isn't much more to it but can flesh it out if there's more demand. Also, I like what you've written about Malaysia. Would you mind formatting it to look like the "Country" section? If not, that's cool. I'm adding it as a link for now.

MR18inches posted:

That said I'm reasonably fit, attractive and pretty socially competant so I think I have that in my favor.

Please note that your Second Life life does not apply to real life. The answer to your question though is Thailand.

- - -

Edit: Some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGiqZUtlWw
This is just a dude playing around in northeastern Thailand with his Isaan girl. I think it's very cute for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUyH_MHzag
Saw this in related videos in the above link and was like hooooly ffffff-blown away. It's a white guy in Laos singing about his love for dark skinned women. It's funny because it's true. Foreigners love the short, dark skinned women while the locals avoid them like the plague. Also goes to show that any white guy who learns the language will instantly become a superstar.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 31, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Sheep-Goats posted:

jerk off : chuck wow (lit. "hang onto a kit string" -- go fly a kite...)

I made this tshirt design a long time ago, before I even had a basic understanding of the Thai language. It says roughly "jerking off/flying a kite is cheap" (I hope). Should still have one left in XL size I think. If I/someone can come up with a fun competition in this thread, I will give it to the winner.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 1, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Getting out of Bangkok Airport

Did you enjoy your 34 hour flight sitting between two very fat men who forgot to shower for two months? Since you're a member of this forum, chances are you were exactly like them, so you guys probably got along well. Anyway, now you're off that plane, your virgin passport has got its first stamp and you have grabbed your luggage full of useless medicines that your mom packed for you. Your adventure has begun and you scratch your neckbeard trying to figure out how to get out from the Souüüvarn Ssssouwanna Soowannaboohoo Bangkok airport. The airport taxi scammers have spotted you and offer you a ride to your hotel for just 4000 baht.

Here are your options, from cheap to expensive:

Local bus/minivan
Recommended for: Locals and smelly hippie backpackers
I think this is intended for the airport staff. It's cramped, it's slow, there's nowhere to put your luggage but it's dirt cheap. Go to the ground floor, exit 7 or 8 (can't remember). Find the sign that says Airport shuttle bus and wait. It's a free service taking you to the airport bus station. From there you can catch buses going pretty much everywhere in Bangkok. Signs are in Thai and English. You pay for your ticket on the bus.
Cost: Buses should be at most 20 baht, minivans 40 baht or so.

Tourist bus
Recommended for: Experienced solo travellers on a tight budget
This is a big nice bus intended for tourists stopping at popular tourist destinations, including Khao San rd. Located on the ground floor, exit 7 or 8 (can't remember). There's a map at the ticket booth showing the route, all in English. If there are three or more people in your group, getting a taxi will be cheaper. Mr smackfu says if it's your first time in Bangkok, just get a taxi, which I agree with.
Cost: 150 baht.

Meter Taxi
Recommended for: Everyone
Probably the most common way to get out of the airport. The official taxi is on the first floor, not ground floor. For some stupid reason they charge a 50 baht fee on top of the taxi fee. A brain-dead person at the booth will ask you "where you go?", scribble something on a ticket and hand it to you. You then hand this ticket to a taxi driver waiting for you. Taxi driver will ignore whatever is written on the ticket and ask you "where you go?". If you want to avoid this stupidity, go to the top floor, where the departures are. This is where taxis drop people off. Wait for their passenger to get off then quickly jump into the taxi.
Cost: Depends on where/how far you're going of course but about 350 baht at most or so. You will have to pay for tollways too.

Airport limo, unofficial taxi, scammers, the rest
Recommended for: Someone you don't like
The airport is full of overpriced transportation options. Want to get to your 250 baht/night lovely hotel in a Mercedes XLKSLKSD? Use the Airport limo service. Want someone to charge you a high, fixed price for going to your hotel? Just wait for one of the illegal taxi mafia guys to approach you. Dressed in plain clothes, they are waiting for new travellers like hungry wolves. "Taxi sir? Where you go?" they will bark at you. Keep in mind that they will ALWAYS be more expensive than an official taxi. They will also use a private car, which isn't a taxi car at all and doesn't have a taxi meter. It doesn't stop there though. Once in the car, they will ask you if you want drugs, women or just a bj (which the driver himself will perform after pulling into a gas station). The bj was actually alright but still way too expensive.
Cost: Your entire travel budget.

Skytrain
Recommended for: Nobody
In a very distant future, there will be a Skytrain connection from the airport all the way to the city. However, money intended for this brilliant project seems to disappear and reappear as luxury cars and condos with spectacular views. Progress on the project will resume as soon as the guys in charge has sent all their spoiled children to universities overseas and bought another five houses for their mistresses. Maybe.
Cost: Frustration

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 2, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

smackfu posted:

Summary: If it's your first time in Bangkok, I suggest you just pay for the taxi.

You're right. I will edit my post. Thanks!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Steve.: Your last post is now the official link farm of this thread and you must maintain it and keep it up to date, forever. Failure to do so will result in a custom title of a ladyboy ejaculating.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
ziebarf: Looking forward to read about Cambodia.

freebooter: Yes, I entered from Laos. However, I knew about the bullshit 15 days before so I got a Thai tourist visa the day before. It takes just one day to process and they are free at the moment.

Fiskenbob: I quite liked the Philippines too, but didn't stay long enough to write a decent write-up. Feel free to write something like in the second post if you want/know enough.

smackfu: HK airport is my favorite airport :)

Pompous: Great motorcycle write-up! Some things I'd like to add:

When riding a motorcycle, always keep in mind that you're invisible. Drivers are just too retarded to see you. Don't think that the idiot in the SUV merging to your lane will notice that you're in his way. My experience with car drivers in Thailand is that they're complete assholes, looking down on you because you're on a bike and can't afford a car, so they always have right of way and you should just get the gently caress out of their way. And you should, because you can't win against a car. And the car won't stop if it knocks you over.

There's no such thing as insurance. Lose the bike and you'll have to pay for it. This happened to me once. My bike was gone and I was devastated. Talked with the owner and he said I could either pay him in cash or buy a similar bike. He was quite nice about it and I thought it was fair because I knew when I signed the papers that there was no insurance. However, the following day I found the bike. I had just forgotten where I parked it... and I wasn't even drunk.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
edit: sorry I hit the wrong button

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 8, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I've been quickly skimming through your blog and I'm slightly concerned about your obsessions with "trannies"... :gay:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Bangkok photo ops

I'm by no means an expert on Bangkok but thought I'd share some good spots for photography in Bangkok. Please add yours if you know of any.

Bayoke Tower
Tallest building in Thailand. I've only been there once though. The view was nice and it wasn't too crowded so it might even be possible to bring a tripod if you're dorky enough. They charge a bit over 200 baht (2 years ago) to enter but one free drink is included in the sky bar.

Skytrain
Goes through the city like a snake. The view from it is sometimes quite spectacular, especially when it reaches the bends around MBK and it all looks like a scene from Bladerunner (somewhat). To get good photos you need to go to either the very front or rear of the train because anything inbetween is covered in advertising. If you can't think of anything to do one day, buy a one day Skytrain pass and ride both lines from end to end. The walkways to the Skytrain stations also offer good views of the constant traffic jams below. The Victory Monument station is good for this.

Chinatown
This area is always bustling. It's really crowded and you're likely to get run over by a car while taking a photo but it'll be worth it when you recover the memory card from your broken camera (ok, not really). There's almost an endless amount of things to take pictures of. Might not be too exciting if you're coming from Hong Kong though, but at least people should be friendlier than those grumpy HK people!

Bobae Tower
Or actually the Prince Palace hotel. On the 11th floor there is a nice outdoor area with a pool and restaurant. The view from here is quite good. Entry is free and nobody checks if you're a guest of the hotel or not, unless you look super suspicious. Go to the higher floors for even better views.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

brendanwor posted:

If you're some smelly loving backpacker in fisherman pants walking down Khao San or visiting Chiang Mai, you're still as much of a tourist as anyone else.

Ah, so that's what they're called. Been wondering why EVERY backpacker wears them. Must be written in Lonely Planet or something. I'm sure they're comfy but drat...

Sheep-Goats posted:

It should also be mentioned that the hooker cauldron that is Nana Plaza makes for some pretty cool pictures, as does Soi Cowbowy, the other fairly genuine sex for sale depot.

Just don't try to take any photos inside the naughty bars or people will be upset!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Saturday night in Bangkok. Someone's been out drinking, a lot. Someone who cannot stand the lovely lady in my avatar. So this someone sent me a pm

:3:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Donsol was very boring. There's absolutely nothing to do and the beach is pretty terrible. Don't go just for the whale sharks, unless you have a massive shark fetish. Perhaps go to that volcano that you can see from the Legazpi airport.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

vanillablue posted:

Has anyone travelled across SE Asia on a bicycle?

dwoloz posted:

I did a bike tour (the pedal variety) January 09 to May through Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia, had a phenomenal time, fell in love each day, wrote about it and posted it online here: http://bikemandan.com/seasia

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Pompous: Actually most places seem to have 24hr electricity now. I think bungalows without electricity are quickly becoming a minority.

moflika: I haven't experienced this but from what I've read, don't mention to anyone that you're overstaying and just pay when you exit the country (at the airport or border).

- - -

I went to the new immigration office in Bangkok today and was blown away by how freaking huge it was. It's inside a newly built building which looks amazing. The architect was clearly inspired by Thai work ethics as the building looks impressive on the outside but there's nothing on the inside. Yes, there's a massive empty space in the middle of the building. I'd guess about 70% of the building is nothing but air. Words cannot describe it. Easily the highlight of your Bangkok trip if you need to go to the immigration office. Wish I had my camera with me.

Oh and despite the zillions of baht spent on the new offices, it's just as slow and inefficient as the old one. But it sure looks a lot better, which was probably the goal.

Edit: Managed to find a picture but it looks much more impressive in real life.

Credit to this blog

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 22, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

It's a bizarre upside-down pyramid out in THE MIDDLE OF loving NOWHERE.

Hah, I was positively surprised when I found out that they have moved very close to my place. Going to that shithole in Suan Plu would take me about an hour using public transportation. Now it's just a short taxi ride away! I'm thinking about going back just to take some pictures.

/Mr loving Nowhere

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

freebooter posted:

Thailand: Because we're entering overland (15 days) we decided to apply here in Australia beforehand, but the consulate demands a photocopy of our air ticket to "make sure" the dates match up or some bullshit. We haven't booked tickets yet (not going til April, waiting for prices to fluctuate) and I tried explaining this but apparently it's a hard and fast rule. This seems like bullshit to me. I'd understand if they wanted to see evidence we were LEAVING the country, but not that we will be ENTERING the country. Why the hell would I apply for a visa if I wasn't really going?

Can't argue with Thai logic :) You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a tourist visa from a Thai consulate in whatever country you're entering from though. It'll take just one day to process. Apply in the morning, pick it up in the afternoon the following day. Vientiane is the most popular city for this.

Strong Sauce posted:

Also since I'm Asian, how easy will it be for me to sneak into the Thai line for the museums/wats? I read that they post the sign in Thai so if I walk up to pay if I hand them the Thai ticket price will they just let me through? Any penalty for getting caught going through the Thai line? Seems dumb that they are charging foreigners so much more to visit these places.

Learning the numbers is probably most important because if you stand there looking like a retard when they tell you how much the entrance fee is, you're busted :) They usually write the fees in Thai too (thinking that it'll prevent foreigners from complaining about double pricing) so learning to read numbers would help a bit too. Only the most popular temples in Bangkok has entrance fees for foreigners though, Thais get in for free. All other temples are free for everybody in my experience. Dressing as a Thai probably helps a bit too. Wear long pants and a shirt, don't wear a singlet and shorts. Useful phrases:

Staff: You buy ticket now you fake bad man
You: Pom pben khon thai = I'm Thai and you're obviously blind

Staff: Gee khon? = How many persons?
You: Khon dee-ow = One person (also means "alone")

I think a penalty for getting caught is highly unlikely. Just play a dumb tourist: I no sa-peak Engrish, solly!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Lol @ riot insurance :D The red shirts are planning something big this month so it might come in handy! Also, if they keep giving away free tourist visas, why don't they just extend the visa-free stamp?

Edit: Is there a way to change the thread title?

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 2, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Ribsauce posted:

What are the current costs for each country in SE Asia? Just basic (private) room, street food, and a couple of beers at night?

Check the second post. And yes, definitely sell all your stuff before going. That way you don't need to rely on a lazy friend to do it and it never gets done.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Not in Bangkok but just yesterday in Udon Thani I was in a bar with a friend in a seedy looking area. Suddenly a very angry guy and a gang of about 10 thugs (some of them trying to hide their faces) stormed in and demanded to know where (name of guy they were looking for) was. He wasn't in the bar of course and the guy proceeded to apologize deeply to everybody. Less than ten seconds after he'd left the police arrived in two pickup trucks.

That secret elevator sounds cool as hell though and is something I'd like to try after a few beers.

As for the red shirts, last time I read the news they said they're planning something big this month (March). Not sure if they actually will manage to organize something though. I'm sure Bangkok Post, The Nation or even thaivisa.com will keep you updated.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

therobit posted:

So my wife and I have booked tickets to Bangkok for eight days in early may. We are bringing our baby who will be four and a half months old. Because of the baby, we don't want too grueling a schedule, so I would love some suggestions on what to see outside of Bangkok that is not too far away.
Ayutthaya is an hour or so north of Bangkok and has a few temple ruins. Check RangerScum's pics. About two hours southeast of Bangkok is Cha Am and Hua Hin that has beaches. They're not very pretty beaches but at least fairly close to Bangkok. If you feel "adventurous" you can go to Koh Samet which is an island about 2-3 hours or so from Bangkok. Might not be very baby-friendly though because the roads are in pretty poor condition (dirt roads).

therobit posted:

I am wondering too if anyone has a suggestion for a hotel in Bangkok that would be clean and have an ensuite bathroom so we can bathe the baby. It seems like a lot of places only have showers, so I was considering just buying a bigass bucket to wash the kid in, but if I can find a place with a bathtub in the room that is clean and well located that is a plus. Stuff like a refrigerator and AC would also be a plus, but I don't need a luxury joint or anything. How much should a be looking to spend per night?
For your requirements I'd say you're looking at at least 1000 baht (~$30) per night. I can't recommend anything because I'm a poor, lonely man who always go for the cheapest and filthiest hotels. A friend of mine stayed in Prince Palace/Bobae Tower which wasn't too expensive and has what you're looking after. Location is not the best though but MBK (famous large shopping mall) is just a short taxi ride away and from there you have access to the Skytrain. Please note that I'm not recommending it, just mentioning it.

therobit posted:

Also, does anyone have advice regarding traveling with a child in Thailand?
Bangkok is extremely crowded and sidewalks are generally in poor condition. Get one of those baby carrying backpacks. Assuming you're caucasian, Thais find white babies irresistibly cute and might touch/poke/play with your kid a bit. It's totally harmless though.

Edit: poo poo-Goatse :argh:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
:siren: Bangkok Red Shirt Invasion :siren:

Thai peopletm and news are now saying that people wearing red shirts plan to invade Bangkok on this Friday 12th. They're planning to remain for at least three days, trying to overthrow the government.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Shirts-Plan-Paralyse-Bangkok-t345669.html
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/03/09/politics/Red-shirts-aim-at-victory-in-three-days-30124297.html

They have done it in the past so I don't doubt they will able to pull it off again. It's probably a good idea to avoid booking any flights on these dates. Even if the airport doesn't close down, parts of Bangkok probably will, making it difficult to reach the airport.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

therobit posted:

Also, I have heard that you can get tailored clothing for a reasonable price in Bangkok. Is eight days enough time to get this done? How much should I look to pay for a decent suit? Anyone have a tailor they like?

Someone posted this excellent link last time this was on topic:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1207953

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I'm debating whether I should go see the red shirts on Friday and try to take some photos or not. It'd be cool to see a big event like this but I don't want to lose a limb in the process. What do you Bangkok chatters think?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
SonicDefiance: Perhaps a bit late to reply now but not sure why you want to go to Kanchanaburi for just one day. According to what I've read, the main demonstration will take place on Sunday so you might still be ok on Saturday. I could be completely wrong though and Bangkok might be hosed already by Friday. I have to agree a bit with Sheep-Goats too, it'd be way more cool to tell your friends you were in Bangkok seeing the city go down in flames rather than "we were in Kanchanaburi hurf durf :holy:" :) I'll be checking out the red shirts gathering tomorrow and hopefully post a picture or two.

KayBelle: Where will you be staying? Khao San road is probably the best place to meet fellow travellers.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A handy map for locating red shirts, courtesy of The Nation

VV - I'll be anyones effortless friend for three big bottles of Singha :)

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 11, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I bumped into some red shirts. Didn't know they'd be there so all I had was my 50mm lens :/

Pahonyotin rd, March 15 2010.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Whoa, you need to tell us more, right now. What did you do those three days? Did they feed you? And "j.jussi"... terve?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
"Too long website's name" :mmmhmm:

Done. Now where's my free iPod?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
In Pattaya whenever there was a celebration in a bar they'd have a free buffet and a roasted suckling pig which is sooo amazingly delicious and all you'd have to pay for it was one beer. With the amount of bars in Pattaya (thousands?) it usually wasn't too hard to find.

*sigh* :(

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Sent you an email, maybe see you in Bangkok next week!

Hey, when/where are you guys meeting up? I'd love to join for a beer outside of 7-11. I'm up for a 7-11 crawl on Khao San rd, will be wearing my fisherman pants.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Honestly, aircon isn't necessary and I actually prefer not to have it; fans are much better for keeping mosquitoes away.

I'd like to invite you to my simple abode and let you sleep one night without aircon. You'll that's amore for sure! Especially this month, my god it's hot. But seriously, it probably depends on what climate one is used to (don't try it you silly Scandinavians) and whether the room in question has good ventilation or not. Due to the superior building standards in the region your room will probably have ventilation even in the most unexpected places.

I've heard Bangkok gets really quiet during Songkran as many Thais return home. True?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Melraidin: I'm in Bangkok right now and as I'm reading your post an endless stream of red shirts have been driving past my apartment for the last 20 minutes. Yes, there are so many of them they occupy streets for hours whenever they move somewhere. I took these pics yesterday, in the center of Bangkok where all the big shopping malls are. This is usually a busy intersection full of traffic.

But to answer your question, I think you'll be fine. I think the government will do something soon because this has been going on for too long now. Even if things get nasty I find it unlikely they would hurt tourists. And you say you won't be in Bangkok either which is good. If something bad's going to happen it'll probably be in Bangkok. Just make sure you allow some extra time while getting around in Bangkok because the traffic jams are out of this world.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Picksure Tiem! :holy:

Red shirts vs Police

Red shirts attempt to enter the police hospital but the police manage to hold them back.

Red shirts retreat and send in... monks! Surely the police won't touch the monks.

The police answer with... women!

This is leading nowhere so the leaders meet

And that was that. Well done, Somchai!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Dorkroom reprazent! Definitely bring your primes and a laptop, maybe even invest in a netbook. When you first get there you'll probably haul around your heavy zooms to every temple but once you settle down you'll just slap on a prime and walk around town. Nothing like getting lost in maze-like backstreets with just your nifty fifty. It's also fun going out drinking and taking pictures you won't remember the next day.

A suggestion: Rent a place for a month or two somewhere and use it as a base to explore smaller towns. I recently went to Malaysia with just my camera and some clothes, leaving all my other belongings in Thailand. It was awesome to get off the plane and walk around effortlessly looking for a hotel. Other travellers with huge backpacks looked less amused.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
/\/\ - Going to Thailand with a girlfriend = fail. Nah, just kidding (sort of). Be prepared to eat some interesting food. Don't think eating at Thai restaurants back home will prepare you for it.

ReindeerF posted:

All of this. Thai businesses aren't always brilliant about marketing, so sometimes you'll expect some kind of deal when it's obvious they should be making a deal and instead they'll sort of blank-stare you, smile and say "sorry." Still, I think right now will largely be a buyer's market and a good time to negotiate rates and fares.

Was going to say I've heard of hotels raising their rates because of fewer customers.

E: Oh and here are some more riot pictures: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/unrest_in_thailand.html

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 12, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

Another really important development today was the election court ruling that dissolves the Democrat Party. That's going to be the mechanism that dissolves the house. Arguably it's a face-saving measure along the same lines of Samak's purported cooking show ruling that was just an excuse for him to get out of office without backing down. Anyhow, yeah, it's beyond demands, now there's a legal ruling that pretty much effectively will dissolve the current coalition.

Leaving Bangkok for a few days. Will it still be here when I come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
What is it teaching like in PP? Was it hard to get the jurb? What are the students like?

- - -

Yellow Pink shirts are starting to show up in Bangkok. A group of them have been around the Victory Monument for the past few days.