Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
i miss jimmy wales weird staring face at the top of all my articles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i dont

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"Please donate!"
          /

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

quote:

An American localisation of the new series will debut on PBS Kids in November 2015. The changes have been censored by fans of the original version.[3][4]

That's a very curious way to spell the word "dislike".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stick Insect posted:

That's a very curious way to spell the word "dislike".

Probably meant censured

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
sitting at a starbucks at an airport right now, a cup of coffee is $1.85

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
yeah $3 for a cup of coffee is worth rioting over

tho I'll never forget paying €6.70 for a cappuccino at a paris bistro. converted to usd and adjusted for inflation that's almost $10. loving paris

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Soricidus posted:

sitting at a starbucks at an airport right now, a cup of coffee is $1.85

wiki wiki

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hackbunny posted:

yeah $3 for a cup of coffee is worth rioting over

tho I'll never forget paying €6.70 for a cappuccino at a paris bistro. converted to usd and adjusted for inflation that's almost $10. loving paris
idk how you convert that, nowadays it's less than $6 if we assume no sales tax in the u.s.
still loving lol, otoh im student so i dislike paying even $2 for a cup

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphaloskepsis

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redline_(1999_video_game)

quote:

The game plays in a fictitious world set in the twenty-first century, fifty years after the Golden Age of Technology. The world is divided into people who live on the "inside" and gangs who live "outside".

In the 1950s, a person named Reich discovered a source of energy he termed "orgone" and built boxes called orgone accumulators. People who bought them said they cured diseases and made them think more clearly, but most people thought it was a hoax. Scientists wouldn't look at it because Reich was a psychologist, but he sold plans for the boxes to lots of people. At the time no one really understood what happened, but all of a sudden Reich was put in prison and public burnings of his books were held in cities all over the country. Around the turn of the century, people figured out why.

The boxes worked. Anybody could build an orgone accumulator, and soon engines began to appear that were driven by them, although the source of orgone energy was still a mystery. People built generators, cars, heating and cooling systems fuelled by this free source of energy. Then the major world governments and the fossil fuel consortiums that controlled them realized the seriousness of the situation. Most of them didn't even resist handing over the reins of power, and outside of a few skirmishes in the Middle East and the Houston Riots, a bloodless revolution took place. People learned that orgone and other alternative fuels had been deliberately suppressed for years, and that the "Insider"s, as the corporations and their puppet governments came to be called, had also retarded the development of environmental engineering technology that could dramatically reduce humanity's pressure on Earth's ravaged biosphere. The rhetoric of emerging world leaders capitalized on people's outrage, and hastened worldwide environmental repair. Some of their plans were a little strange, but they were so optimistic that they were leading mankind back to Eden, that no one questioned them.

The revolution started by Reich's accumulators and the realization that many such advancements could have been squelched by the Insiders sent people scurrying to their history books to exhume the theories of every eccentric and discredited scientist of the past century. Most of what they found was harmless delusion, but a few discoveries of valuable suppressed technology were made. The theories of the nineteenth century inventor Nikola Tesla gained tremendous notoriety, and physicists tripped over themselves in their rush to reexamine his work. Tesla believed that he had discovered a way to transmit electrical power through the air as easily as radio waves, and envisioned a worldwide system of power stations transmitting free energy. He was proven correct, but the universal availability of orgone accumulators eliminated the need for his invention. Scientists turned to Tesla's more theoretical work.

What people didn't realize was that the Insiders had for the most part escaped the revolution unscathed; people were understandably more concerned with building utopias than with hunting down broken tyrants. The Insiders were never destroyed, they merely sank beneath the surface like Leviathan and waited for their chance to rise again. Furiously researching the technology they had restrained, they found in Tesla's theories an opportunity to resume their thrones.

Tesla was aware that every object has a resonant frequency; a breaking point where an object vibrates in phase with waves that is striking it. This is why a glass will shatter when the correct note is struck nearby on a tuning fork. The glass resonates with the tuning fork, its structure vibrating faster and faster until it shakes itself apart. This was thoroughly understood in Tesla's day, but he took the idea a step further. He reasoned that the Earth itself must have a resonant frequency, and he set out to calculate it. The Insiders were delighted to discover that while he was a little off in figuring Earth's frequency, he had hit the moon's right on the money.

The leaders of the world's emerging new nations, meanwhile, met at the first United World conference in Singapore to discuss solutions to the planet's remaining environmental dilemmas. It was decided that nuclear, chemical and biological weapon disposal was a priority, as was permanent relocation of the toxic wastes and heavy metals generated by hundreds of years or rapacious industry. As orgone-powered spacecraft were now under construction, it seemed feasible to easily and economically store these wastes on the moon, which was not considered desirable for colonization anyway. A corporation called Renewal, Inc. presented this plan, and indicated they were ready to implement it immediately. It's amazing to us now that no one questioned where Renewal, Inc. had come from, or why they were already so ideally equipped for an industry that had yet to be created. Contracts were signed, and Renewal, Inc. was given access to the most devastating weapons a self-destructive species had been able to devise. To universal cheers, they began hauling it all to the moon.

On April 1, 2012, the Insiders began a series of timed nuclear detonations on the poles of the moon. It took several hours before the moon began to resonate and shake apart, and at that point the explosions were stopped. Plenty of damage had been done already, however, and the Insiders now had all of the aces back in their sleeves. The orbit of the moon was disrupted just enough to wreak havoc on Earth; tidal waves destroyed many coastal cities, weather patterns became chaotic, and clouds of fallout and debris from the lunar explosions circled the globe. Within a year, over two thirds of Earth's population was gone. Those who died quickly in storms or were claimed by the sea were lucky.

Most of the survivors developed some degree of the deteriorating skin condition dubbed "Red-6," a legacy of the fallout and the poisonous air. Wealthy Insiders came out of hiding with treatments for Red-6 that only they could afford. When the search for clean water became the focus of most of humanity, the Insiders immediately unveiled a technique mating salt water purification and deep sea drilling to offer life's most crucial need at a "reasonable" price. Competing techniques for the extraction or purification of water spawned an enormous industry overnight, with the Insiders once more at the helm. They constructed domed cities for the wealthy, where corporations such as O2 sold pure metered air at whatever price the market could sustain. "Designer air," a mildly hallucinogenic but very addictive and expensive luxury, caught on among the wealthy as the Insiders in their greed began to prey even upon their own.

Life outside these cities was barely possible. Tremendous storms raged across what little arable land was left, and toxic debris still engulfed the planet like a diseased blanket. By 2060, the weather was somewhat stabilized, but few Outsiders could expect to live longer than thirty years. Most lived near the domed cities of the Insiders, where they could occasionally breathe clean air or drink clean water in exchange for menial labor or participation in grisly entertainments. You see, we don't much look like the Insiders anymore, and we don't think like they do at all. They have come to see us as a separate, inferior species, and most of the gangs on the Outside would probably agree with the "separate" part. The Insiders started BattleWheels gaming about ten years ago, and it is by far the most popular of their diversions. A lot of the Outsider gangs hate each other anyway, and maybe the Insiders think that if we can be encouraged to fight amongst ourselves we won't make trouble. I'm not sure we could make much trouble against their weapons, but maybe that's what they think.

So I guess most gangs are into the games because they know they won't live long anyway, and there's always a chance that someday you might blow away one of the thrill-seeking Insiders who occasionally join the games. Or maybe it's because there are some Outsiders who have become legends in the BattleWheels arenas, and live on the Inside now. Some gangs just like to watch things die.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Al-Shamika (The high, elevated (feminine)) was a new fashion and lifestyle magazine for Muslim women and suicide bombers published online by Al-Qaeda.[50][51]

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Health Goth is an aesthetic revolving around biotechnology, monochrome sportswear, fetish culture, extreme cleanliness, and rendered environments. The creators have stated the following keywords they use when sourcing imagery: "mesh, moisture-wicking fabrics, BioWare, body enhancement tech, prosthetics, shoe dipping, various fashion and performance wear brands, transparent clothing, chains and light weaponry, tactical gear, elemental aesthetics, corporal mortification, and rendered environments."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmbo wtf

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

laserghost posted:

Health Goth is an aesthetic revolving around biotechnology, monochrome sportswear, fetish culture, extreme cleanliness, and rendered environments. The creators have stated the following keywords they use when sourcing imagery: "mesh, moisture-wicking fabrics, BioWare, body enhancement tech, prosthetics, shoe dipping, various fashion and performance wear brands, transparent clothing, chains and light weaponry, tactical gear, elemental aesthetics, corporal mortification, and rendered environments."

isn't "shoe dipping" a foot fetish thing?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
well it does say "revolving around fetish culture"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

prefect posted:

isn't "shoe dipping" a foot fetish thing?

is it dipping shoes in chocolate or something

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah, but it's not the kind of chocolate you'd want to eat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
that "health goth" thing was already posted but it's nice to be reminded

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Improbable Lobster posted:

i think it's when a lady crosses her legs and kind of bobs her crossed-over foot up and down

or maybe it's when she takes her heel out of the shoe and then slides it back into place

they've talked about it on harmontown, maybe there's a clip...

edit: no, nothing that comes up right away :mad:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im the chains and light weaponry

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Snapchat A Titty posted:

im the tactical gear

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Analysis [edit]

Perhaps the most comprehensive analysis of health goth arrived with Adam Harper's article for The Fader deconstructing the trend.[15] The article posited that health goth was a signifier of a post-genre world, in which aesthetics lead the way for subcultural and microgenre movements as they grow increasingly unique and amalgamated.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Libya_%281977-2011%29.svg#filehistory

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i think that's actually really interesting. do countries all have pantone colors defined in their laws somewhere?

:spergin:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

i think that's actually really interesting. do countries all have pantone colors defined in their laws somewhere?
at least one apparently doesn't

quote:

From Flag of Libya.svg; there is no official shade of green so using the last uploaded file before the revolution.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

at least one apparently doesn't

how long after a change in government is too long to define your flag's color(s)?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The colours 0/100/100/0 in the CMYK process, PMS 032 (flag red 100%), or PMS 485 (used for screens) in the Pantone colour specifier can be used when reproducing the flag.[5] For the Federal Identity Program, the red tone of the standard flag has an RGB value of 255–0–0 (web hexadecimal #FF0000).[22]

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

"Deeez Nuuuts" redirects here. For other uses of the term, see Deez Nuts (disambiguation).

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Black_flag.svg

not to be confused with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Afghanistan_%281880%E2%80%931901%29.svg

and see also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Taliban_%28original%29.svg

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

prefect posted:

i think it's when a lady crosses her legs and kind of bobs her crossed-over foot up and down

or maybe it's when she takes her heel out of the shoe and then slides it back into place
no that's just called me getting a boner

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm loving the four different versions of the Afghani flag, three of them redone by hand.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Space-Pope posted:

no that's just called me getting a boner

go away quentin

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i was mildly disappointed that this didn't lead to the black flag logo, i was very disappointed that the file for that is a poo poo-tastic jpg

wheres the justice

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In 2007, it was announced that 59-year-old Mike Flynt would be joining the Sul Ross football team. He had played college football when he was originally enrolled in college and his athletic eligibility had not expired.[1].

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

post the most :911: thing you can find on wikipedia

quote:

Storax Sedan was a shallow underground nuclear test conducted in Area 10 of Yucca Flat at the Nevada National Security Site on 6 July 1962 as part of Operation Plowshare, a program to investigate the use of nuclear weapons for mining, cratering, and other civilian purposes.[1] The radioactive fallout from the test contaminated more US residents than any other nuclear test.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

computer parts posted:

In 2007, it was announced that 59-year-old Mike Flynt would be joining the Sul Ross football team. He had played college football when he was originally enrolled in college and his athletic eligibility had not expired.[1].

shortly afterward, he found out just how much a human body changes over four decades :rip:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sagebrush posted:

post the most :911: thing you can find on wikipedia
why'd you leave off the end, it's perfect

The Sedan Crater is the largest man-made crater in the United States, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i was mildly disappointed that this didn't lead to the black flag logo,