Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
For a time, Americans were starting to believe that they were making progress in the space race and that although the Soviets might have had stronger rockets, the United States had a better guiding system. This myth was busted after the Soviets were able to crash Luna 2 onto the moon.[6]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sham bam bamina! posted:

For a time, Americans were starting to believe that they were making progress in the space race and that although the Soviets might have had stronger rockets, the United States had a better guiding system. This myth was busted after the Soviets were able to crash Luna 2 onto the moon.[6]

so tesla's winning by soviet rules then

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Pinball Wizard posted:

wtf is 🏋️, black jesus?

weightlifter

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sham bam bamina! posted:

soviets and americans crashed a lot of poo poo on the moon! (usually intentionally)

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
how do i make all th eunicode things show up, i see a bunch of them but a lot of them are just rectangles

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
stop using a browser made in 1992

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Very similar to how Manhattan is known as "212", Cincinnati is sometimes colloquially referred to as the "513".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

213 will regulate

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dragon enthusiast posted:

stop using a browser made in 1992

ya, lol

also i just realized, i wonder what blind people think of emojis

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ya, lol

also i just realized, i wonder what blind people think of emojis

im guessing screen readers can be or are configured to just read out like emoji + the glyph name, so like emoji smiling face or emoji man kissing man or whatever

also holy poo poo:

quote:

The Kiss (Man, Man) emoji is a sequence of the 👨 Man, ❤ Heavy Black Heart, ️ Variation Selector-16, 💋 Kiss Mark and 👨 Man emojis. These are combined using a zero width joiner between each character and display as a single emoji on supported platforms.

thats pretty cool actually, i thought it had its own codepoint

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the zero width joiner thing is becoming very common, it's how human emojis now have configurable races

I am a free emoji on the land, I do not wish to create zero width joinder

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i like the lego-yellow emojis myself 👲

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

proposal for goatman emoji

🍑 U+1F351 Peach aka Butt
‍ U+200D zero width joiner
📖 U+1F4D6 Open Book

alternately

🐐 U+1F410 Goat
‍ U+200D zero width joiner
👨 U+1F468 Man

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Snapchat A Titty posted:

proposal for goatman emoji

U+1F4DE "receiver"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

haveblue posted:

I am a free emoji on the land, I do not wish to create zero width joinder

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

daft punk railroad posted:

U+1F4DE "receiver"

Nice!!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
never forget to include 💍 in all goatman impressions

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In 2002, in reference to President George Bush's war on "evildoers", Crockford started using a custom non-free license, which he created by adding the requirement "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil" to the open source MIT License for his JSMin software. This clause was carried over to JSMin-PHP, a variation of JSMin by Ryan Grove. This software was hosted on Google Code until December 2009 when, due to the additional clause, Google determined that the license was not compliant with the definition of open source software, which does not permit any restriction on how software may be used.[11][12] JSMin-PHP was forced to migrate to a new hosting provider.[13][14]

Crockford's license is intended to mock potential users of his software[15] and has caused problems for some open source projects who mistook the license for an open source variant of the MIT license. This has inspired criticism of Crockford from affected open source developers as recently as January 2014.[16][17][18] Crockford is reported to be aware of the legal implications of his license and has refused to change the license terms despite numerous requests.[19] He does, however, grant "IBM, its customers, partners, and minions" an exclusive license "to use JSLint for evil".[20]

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's the attention to detail that lets you differentiate between amateurs and experts.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

In 2002, in reference to President George Bush's war on "evildoers", Crockford started using a custom non-free license, which he created by adding the requirement "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil" to the open source MIT License for his JSMin software. This clause was carried over to JSMin-PHP, a variation of JSMin by Ryan Grove. This software was hosted on Google Code until December 2009 when, due to the additional clause, Google determined that the license was not compliant with the definition of open source software, which does not permit any restriction on how software may be used.[11][12] JSMin-PHP was forced to migrate to a new hosting provider.[13][14]

Crockford's license is intended to mock potential users of his software[15] and has caused problems for some open source projects who mistook the license for an open source variant of the MIT license. This has inspired criticism of Crockford from affected open source developers as recently as January 2014.[16][17][18] Crockford is reported to be aware of the legal implications of his license and has refused to change the license terms despite numerous requests.[19] He does, however, grant "IBM, its customers, partners, and minions" an exclusive license "to use JSLint for evil".[20]

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gently caress sorry i forgot

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Critical reception [edit]

Damon Knight wrote of the novel:[2]

quote:

Timeliner, by Charles Eric Maine, is that sort of amateur flight of fancy that takes leave of its premises, and its senses, in the second chapter. Almost anything can then happen except the unexpected.

Groff Conklin, reviewing the novel in Galaxy, dismissed it as "without doubt one of the most inconsequential science fiction novels ever written."[3] Anthony Boucher dismissed Timeliner as an example of "mere cliche-museums".[4] P. Schuyler Miller more charitably noted that the novel "doesn't quite meet current standards."[5]

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Her memoir, titled Every Secret Thing, was published in 1981. In contradiction of assertion that she had been given immunity on the Crocker robbery, the book caused authorities to consider bringing a new prosecution against her.[73]

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bony-eared_assfish

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

not cool

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The unit of measurement "day", redefined in 1960 as 86 400 SI seconds and symbolized d, is not an SI unit, but is accepted for use with SI.[1]

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

The unit of measurement "day", redefined in 1960 as 86 400 SI seconds and symbolized d, is not an SI unit, but is accepted for use with SI.[1]

redefined????????????

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ChiralCondensate posted:

redefined????????????

turns out days arent exactly 24x60x60 seconds, hence the leap years & now leap seconds

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The book has received praise from English singer Geri Halliwell.[13]

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ChiralCondensate posted:

redefined????????????

the definition of second is weird too

of course my favorite is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiffy_(time)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i like the lego-yellow emojis myself 👲

they're gray here on windows

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
The sessile lifestyle of barnacles makes sexual reproduction difficult, as the organisms cannot leave their shells to mate. To facilitate genetic transfer between isolated individuals, barnacles have extraordinarily long penises⁠. Barnacles probably have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.[10]

Barnacles can also reproduce through a method called spermcasting, in which the male barnacle releases his sperm into the water and females pick it up and fertilise their eggs.[12]

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

The sessile lifestyle of barnacles makes sexual reproduction difficult, as the organisms cannot leave their shells to mate. To facilitate genetic transfer between isolated individuals, barnacles have extraordinarily long penises⁠. Barnacles probably have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.[10]

Barnacles can also reproduce through a method called spermcasting, in which the male barnacle releases his sperm into the water and females pick it up and fertilise their eggs.[12]

the jizzard, master of spermcasting

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

barnacles are those hard shells on your ballsack right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There are also international, culture-specific versions of Duffman for the overseas markets. Duffmensch, the German version of Duffman, wears a blue pickelhaube helmet and blue spandex lederhosen with a dark leather waistbelt with beer-can holders that look like ammunition pouches. He uses the German language slogan Oh Ja!.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FMguru posted:

There are also international, culture-specific versions of Duffman for the overseas markets. Duffmensch, the German version of Duffman, wears a blue pickelhaube helmet and blue spandex lederhosen with a dark leather waistbelt with beer-can holders that look like ammunition pouches. He uses the German language slogan Oh Ja!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JY2V_GEuE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not worthless at all

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

barnacles are those hard shells on your ballsack right?

if you are an elephant seal, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

hackbunny posted:

they're gray here on windows

The path is gray :geno: