Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Thanks for the heads up on Zombieland. I didn't notice it, and I'd wanted to see it, and I've gotta say that it might be my favorite zombie movie now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Oh holy poo poo Fraggle Rock!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Within the last day or two, Netflix Instant added Black Dynamite. I suggest everyone watch this movie, immediately.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Twitch posted:

Within the last day or two, Netflix Instant added Black Dynamite. I suggest everyone watch this movie, immediately.

Agreed. I watched it last night, it is great.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Motherfucking ALIENS is on there now. Collectors Edition, at that. The 2.5 hour long epic version!

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Same thing with T2: Judgement Day.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

Motherfucking ALIENS is on there now. Collectors Edition, at that. The 2.5 hour long epic version!

This has the awesome extended scene of the automated machineguns obliterating the hell out of the

A Nice Boy posted:

Same thing with T2: Judgement Day.

I recommend every fan of the series watch this. It adds quite a bit to the movie, but is NOT canon, as evidenced by the fact that Judgement Day never happens at the end of the movie and that Sara Conner is still alive many years down the road.

For content, I actually just finished watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Go watch Breathless. For reals.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Watched Triangle based on recommendations from this thread. Totally loved it. Reminded me a lot of Timecrimes which is also available on instant view. I love crazy rear end time travel movies.

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

The Ace posted:

Do not listen to this man. This is honestly one of if not the worst film I've ever seen.

Watch Let the Right One In instead, which I'm sure someone's already mentioned.

I'm the opposite. I thought World's Greatest Dad was a good film (for a dark comedy that loves to shock) and I thought Let the Right One In was boring as hell. The endings to both movies are satisfying but neither are movies I'd highly suggest to anyone.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Twitch posted:

This move is complete and utter poo poo and Im Gonna Git You Sucka remains the king of mock blackxplotation movies.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

The first three seasons of Veronica Mars are also up. I acknowledge that it's a show about a high school girl who is also a detective and it sounds pretty dumb. But watch the first episode and you'll be hooked, it's very enjoyable.

Boliver_Shagnasty
Jan 27, 2010

A Honey Badger doesn't kill you to eat you, it tears off... your testicles.

I have a weakness where I love to and often watch movies that are disgustingly bad for laughs. For this reason, one of my favorite movies to watch on Netflix is Thankskillng. The name alone tells you a lot, it's about a killer turkey who is killing college students over Thanksgiving break and it's awful to say the least; however, great at the same time.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
The original Die Hard is available now, a classic. I really wish they had more of these in HD though

Dr. Citan Uzuki has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Jul 10, 2010

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

if you want the best of ridiculous nihilistic early 90s buddy-action movies, you should be watching the last boy scout. right now.

*cop rolls up* "hello sir is there a problem"

"yes, this gun has too many bullets in it" BLAM BLAM

great movie.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Twitch posted:

Splaa posted:

if you want the best of ridiculous nihilistic early 90s buddy-action movies, you should be watching the last boy scout. right now.

*cop rolls up* "hello sir is there a problem"

"yes, this gun has too many bullets in it" BLAM BLAM

great movie.

Yes and Yes. Black Dynamite is everything the (Date|Scary|Whatever) Movie series should have been, but wasn't. As a background, it's a mix of old Kung-Fu movies and Blacksploitation films.

"As of now, I'm declaring war on anyone that sells drugs in the community!"
"But Black Dynamite! I sell drugs in the community!"

EDIT: "NO! NOT THE ORPHANS! THESE ORPHANS HAVE NO PARENTS!"

Jo has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Jul 10, 2010

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"If your momma was here today she'd be rolling in her grave!"

Seriously, Black Dynamite is one of those movies where you can tell that each and every person making it had a blast. Every line is tinged with that "Holy poo poo, I'm actually saying this?" that makes it so much better.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Why after 30 minutes does the framerate go to hell when watching instant movies?

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

RettroShocka posted:

Why after 30 minutes does the framerate go to hell when watching instant movies?

I'm glad to know I'm not alone with that. But it only happens on my computer. Watching on my PS3 is fine.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

RettroShocka posted:

I don't have framerate problems, but after months of always streaming great in HD it now flips between four bars and one bar every four or five minutes. It is really annoying.

Edit: this is on the 360. On the PC it will try to switch to a lower resolution and then just hang at buffering for eternity until I stop it and resume.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
On my 360 I have no problems...In fact, many times it pauses to INCREASE the quality partway through. No idea the rhyme or reason....I always figured it just had to do with internet use in my house (ie. other people doing poo poo on other computers and such).

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Watched Black Dynamite on the advice of this thread and was not disappointed. Good god, I wish that every movie was that brilliant.

Boliver_Shagnasty
Jan 27, 2010

They're not movies, but I'm incredibly happy that Netflix keeps up with all of the Doctor Who episodes from the new series. I'm American, so I don't get to watch them on my TV so it's awesome that they're on the site.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

cornface posted:

I don't have framerate problems, but after months of always streaming great in HD it now flips between four bars and one bar every four or five minutes. It is really annoying.

Edit: this is on the 360. On the PC it will try to switch to a lower resolution and then just hang at buffering for eternity until I stop it and resume.

Yeah, 360 no problems for ages, PC always looked crappyish but it wouldn't falter from its crap quality ever (though the new computer has some kind of built in netflix, and it worked better.)

Now all of a sudden after perfect operation since it first came out the 360 can't seem to keep up with HD for a whole show, and it will pause and go down a bar or two, just to kick it back up a bar or two about 5 minutes later. I sort of wish it would load a larger buffer to avoid this problem..

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Jul 13, 2010

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
They recently added MTV's The State. If you like Reno 911, Stella or Viva Variety, you can now see where they all got their start. (well, not counting "you wrote, we filmed it".)

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I watched Reign of Fire last night and while it's not rated very high, it is actually quite enjoyable.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i watched the first two eps of Party Down and loved it, then the next day it was taken off of watch instantly...c'est la vie

For some content, I don't know if The Machinist has been mentioned. Y Tu Mamá También is pretty good too.

wyoak has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Jul 13, 2010

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Wet Fifty posted:

They recently added MTV's The State. If you like Reno 911, Stella or Viva Variety, you can now see where they all got their start. (well, not counting "you wrote, we filmed it".)

I was so happy when they added The State. I could finally prove to my friends that I wasn't crazy when I started talking about dancing pink and blue hormones.

It Might Get Loud Awesome documentary about Jack White, Jimmy Page, and The Edge. I missed it when it came through theaters last year, so I was glad to watch it instantly.

ADMRL Perkins
Jul 1, 2008
I've been wearing out the mst3k collection they have especially Zombie Nightmare with Adam West and Tia Carrere

Boliver_Shagnasty
Jan 27, 2010

ADMRL Perkins posted:

I've been wearing out the mst3k collection they have especially Zombie Nightmare with Adam West and Tia Carrere

That one is great; the MST3K of Werewolf is even better and it's on Netflix as well. It's one of my favorites, and I highly recommend it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, when did they add the search option?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Jul 14, 2010

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dead Cow posted:

I was so happy when they added The State. I could finally prove to my friends that I wasn't crazy when I started talking about dancing pink and blue hormones.

It Might Get Loud Awesome documentary about Jack White, Jimmy Page, and The Edge. I missed it when it came through theaters last year, so I was glad to watch it instantly.

Yeah, people keep telling me this is good and I kind of want to watch it but I hate Jimmy Page and I hate The Edge and Jack White is only good some times.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Jibo posted:

Yeah, people keep telling me this is good and I kind of want to watch it but I hate Jimmy Page and I hate The Edge and Jack White is only good some times.

If you like electric guitars at all, this is worth watching just to see the instrument through the eyes of some famous musicians.

crinos80
Jul 21, 2006
Awesome thread. Good stuff I've caught recently:
Red Cliff John Woo does Three Kingdoms China. Awesome flick, but if you're a purist know that the streaming version is the shortened (2.5 hour) theatrical release.
Memento Guy Pierce is a messed up killer who can't form new memories. The plot is revealed backwards.
Heat Robert Deniro vs. Al Pacino in a heist movie. Kinda long, but well worth a watch.
Dead Snow Norwegian flick with zombie nazis. Starts off as a straight horror flick, then jumps the rails into evil dead territory.

SigmusAmadeus
Apr 12, 2007
Lawlerbot
I strongly suggest The Movie Hero. It's about a guy who is convinced he is in a movie and constantly breaks the fourth wall to explain things to the audience, while everyone else thinks he is insane (kind of like Deadpool from Marvel Comics). It's campy and silly but I really enjoyed it.

Also recommending Santa's Slay. It is a horrible B comedy/horror movie which is unironically awesome. Bill Goldberg plays an evil Santa. Who is a viking. And the son of Satan.

Also he breathes fire.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Every season of King of the Hill

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tomorrow (very very good)

I recommend both of these as well. Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is subtitled, but still really awesome.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Touching the Void

One of the best, most disturbing documentaries I've seen in a long time. It is a true story about two guys climbing a mountain and one breaks his leg near the top, a virtual death sentence.

It's insanely tense, and they reenact a lot of the events, so it draws you in and you feel like you are watching it as it happens. The events are truly miraculous.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
Thank you this thread. I probably would have never watched Triangle which after last night i've been thinking about all day. Awesome, awesome movie.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly
They added Dog Bites Man, an awesome show about a fictional news crew in Spokane with Zack Galifianakis and Matt Walsh.

Everyone should watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 Left Eyes
Sep 4, 2004

by Ozma
Avatar: The Last Airbender (Season 1-3) The Best Action Cartoon series ever on television! A Sprawling fantasy journey and I'm pretty stunned if you haven't seen it. Season 2 & 3 were awesome.

King Of Kong- Who knew a documentary about a video game highscore could be so edge of your seat?

2 Left Eyes has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Jul 17, 2010

• Locked thread