Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

e: oh, also, basement is unfinished and will remain so for eternity (I hope)

I don't see why. We "finished" our basement. Never added a ceiling, so its still not taxable as living space in our area. However its a full 15' bar, workshop, Theater, and general purpose room. All for like $5000 and me having some free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So I can fill it with shelves full of food and water for the apocalypse.

:v:

No really, I just want to have it as storage and general use. Maybe the odd LAN party. You can't have a LAN party in a nice room, it has to be a dark cement hole, it's part of the atmosphere.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

No really, I just want to have it as storage and general use. Maybe the odd LAN party. You can't have a LAN party in a nice room, it has to be a dark cement hole, it's part of the atmosphere.

Industrial tile and using fabric sheets to just cover the concrete does just the trick.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
And duct-taping the dudes you don't have enough room for to the ceiling.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Messadiah posted:

I can't believe your garage ceiling is textured, that's just silly. Most garages in new construction here either get a layer of primer, or just a half-assed layer of mud.
Textured ceilings are actually cheaper than smooth. It's just the way plaster is- textured surfaces hide defects well and are thus go on very quickly and still look good. Nearly everything in my house is sand finish (swirl), even the garage.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Slung Blade posted:

So I can fill it with shelves full of food and water for the apocalypse.

:v:

You can be like my parents and fill the basement with storage bins filled with napkins/papertowels/cans and sugar.

Dear God sugar packets. There has to be about 1/4th of a bin of just that in plastic baggies.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Awesome thread and awesome house and awesome surroundings! You can see horses! To me, that's awesome.

:smug: eurotrash comment:

American building always looks incredibly :black101: to me;
Just put a pole here and some wood on top and lots and lots of drywall everywhere.
Over here it's usually more of a brick and mortar deal, like so:

Click here for the full 750x563 image.

Anyway, here's a suggestion for your greenhouse, because that plastic stuff didn't really look worthy of a slung blade project:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, I'm still considering my options for a greenhouse. Not sure I'll get to it this year. I have so much to do and I've spent a lot of time this month just having people over who want to see my place. It's fun and all, and I like entertaining (and cooking) but I hardly have any time to actually, you know, accomplish stuff like I'm used to.

No matter, the earthmoving guys finally came back and moved the dirt around.

This is going to be a 40x20' gravel pad. I'll be putting my blacksmith shop here, and parking my tent trailer beside it. The line in the middle is for the sump water. I'm still planning on digging a little pond in the middle so I can capture and store that water for use in the garden (experimentally, to make sure it's not too salty).

Sorry it's so dark, it's raining like a bastard here, and it was fairly late when I got home.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Slung Blade posted:

*ORBS*
:ohdear: Your property is infested by ze paranormal.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hooray I can earn money charging goth chicks to hang out near the mosquito swamp at night.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Slung Blade posted:

Hooray I can earn money charging goth chicks to hang out near the mosquito swamp at night.

hot goth chicks only :pervert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ab0z posted:

hot goth chicks only :pervert:

:v::hf::fap:

Also: Welcome to sunny Alberta!

gently caress. :smith:

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

:v::hf::fap:

Also: Welcome to sunny Alberta!

Snowing? In May? :canada:

Better get started on that greenhouse

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This much snow this late is pretty unusual. The moisture is sure nice to have though, this place turns into a loving desert around july.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Am I right in thinking you have a huge water ditch/giant puddle at the end of your garden?
Have you considered turning it into a swimming hole/big naturally filtered pond? Obviously no one in their right loving mind (except perhaps Scandinavians) would go swimming in it 90% of the year... but there must be a sunny week or two when it would be nice to cool off... right? Or you could farm edible carp in there, and have your own fresh sustainable fish.

Seriously, how the hell are you planning to grow food? Or are you just going to open a dwarven forge and hope the heat from it melts your vegetable patch? Is it ever going to thaw out, or is Canada the frozen wasteland I was always told it was?
Part of me wants to refuse to believe mosquitoes can live out there, but I know people who've been bitten further north.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

madlilnerd posted:

Am I right in thinking you have a huge water ditch/giant puddle at the end of your garden?
Have you considered turning it into a swimming hole/big naturally filtered pond? Obviously no one in their right loving mind (except perhaps Scandinavians) would go swimming in it 90% of the year... but there must be a sunny week or two when it would be nice to cool off... right? Or you could farm edible carp in there, and have your own fresh sustainable fish.

Seriously, how the hell are you planning to grow food? Or are you just going to open a dwarven forge and hope the heat from it melts your vegetable patch? Is it ever going to thaw out, or is Canada the frozen wasteland I was always told it was?
Part of me wants to refuse to believe mosquitoes can live out there, but I know people who've been bitten further north.

Yeah, that big ditch at the back is actually a protected wetland, so I'm not supposed to disturb it or drain it. Releasing fish (especially invasive things like carp) would be a huge no-no. It gets pretty dry towards the end of the season, so they wouldn't get very big before dying out anyway, though they might keep the mosquito population down and would bring in lots of herons (which might go after the fish fry instead of the frogs).

It's really not very deep, less than half a metre or so. I've joked with my friends about throwing an inner tube in there in the summer and getting drunk. Usually I'm met with "what the gently caress is wrong with you" looks on their faces, but I'm used to that. :v:

Things will get nice in a couple of days, then I can bring the tractor in and get to planting.

The mosquitoes are already out, I had like 20 of them follow me into the garage when I brought my tent trailer home. Fuckers. Hopefully this cold snap kills them off for a couple weeks.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
...tractor?! :swoon:

Do you at least get rare ducks or something interesting in your protected swamp? Except the swamp ghosts, obviously.

I hope you get a massive greenhouse, solarium style with room to have afternoon tea amongst the early pea plants, jalapeņos and chitting potatoes. One can dream.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Slung Blade posted:

Welcome to sunny Alberta!

I'm in Northern Idaho, and we get the same sort of weather! Gets drier than poo poo by July too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

madlilnerd posted:

Do you at least get rare ducks or something interesting in your protected swamp? Except the swamp ghosts, obviously.

Herons, geese, mallard ducks, kingfishers, and I've seen trumpeter swans in the area.

There are more predatory birds, but I don't know their names. All I know is they're after the billions of frogs that live in those waters.

I hope I can get a nice greenhouse too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey, it's a nice day out.

I need to put my lawnmower together. Can't mow yet, too wet, but it's going to get long very soon with all this rain.

I love instruction manuals. :downs:

It will never be this clean again :smith:

Sweet, it runs properly.

The drywall guy came out yesterday and patched that gaping hole in the ceiling. He remudded it again this morning, he only had 1/2" drywall, and my house was built with 5/8ths. At least that's how he put it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I know it was there before... but, what's with the exposed PVC pipe and wire taped to it?

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Probably the central vac and control wire

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slung Blade posted:

The drywall guy came out yesterday and patched that gaping hole in the ceiling. He remudded it again this morning, he only had 1/2" drywall, and my house was built with 5/8ths. At least that's how he put it.

It's probably just your garage. 1/2" is indeed the most common thickness for a house interior, but at least in the States, most places have codes that require your garage to have 5/8", due to its increased fire resistance.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Costello Jello posted:

It's probably just your garage. 1/2" is indeed the most common thickness for a house interior, but at least in the States, most places have codes that require your garage to have 5/8", due to its increased fire resistance.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

And yes, that pvc with the wire is my central vacuum plumbing. The wires connect to switch on the handle to turn the vacuum on.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slung Blade posted:

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.
If he didn't patch with 5/8" Type-X, he probably just violated your local fire codes, which mandate special fire resistance for attached garages. (I don't know your local codes, but otherwise, they would have used cheaper drywall.) IIRC, 5/8" Type-X is rated for 1-hour and standard 1/2" for 30 minutes. Drywall is actually really good fireblock due to the chemistry in the gypsum core resisting temperature rise and slowing heat transfer to the structure, and Type-X is specially formulated for increased resistance; mud/plaster isn't nearly as effective of a fireblock. There are other restrictions in what holes you can make, how close receptacles can be, etc.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 30, 2010

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The 1/8th of mud isn't flammable is it?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slung Blade posted:

The 1/8th of mud isn't flammable is it?
Naw, it just doesn't have as much thermal resistance as 1/8" Type-X gypsum would have. That patch would only last about 30 minutes vice 60 minutes. Although, given your water lines run through there and are plastic, the problem *might* solve itself. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I wasn't terribly worried about it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

madlilnerd posted:

I hope you get a massive greenhouse, solarium style with room to have afternoon tea amongst the early pea plants, jalapeņos and chitting potatoes. One can dream.

You must take this mans advice. House, to partially covered patio, to Solarium, to greenhouse. It looks stunning in my mind.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
circular, with two chaiselongues in the middle and orchids all around you

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I can't eat orchids guys. :(

Also I had a bit of a scare last night. With all the rain we've been getting lately a huge pulse of water soaked into my house's foundation. The sump pump ran for a good 30 minutes, and I've never seen the water that deep in the sump. All the cracks in the floor slab were moist. Not good.

Usually the pump runs for 20 seconds, shuts off, the sump refills, and it kicks on again. Repeat this for 3-5 cycle 3-4 times per day.

I had been considering getting a slower pump to ease the on/off cycles, but I'm kind of glad I didn't now.

I wish the sump was bigger to catch more water and let the pump run longer per cycle.

The soil is totally saturated, I was trying to walk around in it last night with my rubber boots and pajamas at 1:30am and almost got stuck a couple of times.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, at least it's not permafrost. It looked like that on the pic from the 29th. :)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

M_Gargantua posted:

You must take this mans advice. House, to partially covered patio, to Solarium, to greenhouse. It looks stunning in my mind.

Ahem.
Man?
Solariums are the quiet refuge of refined ladies who need good lighting for botanical illustration and needlepoint and fainting fits.

Although I do agree with the Unleash the Unicorn's suggestion about chaise-longues.

Slung, drainage going to be an ongoing problem, and if so, what's the plan? Or is it just a problem at the moment because of lack of plants on your plot?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Not entirely sure yet.

The guy who installed my septic tank says they hit what he thinks was a tiny underground stream when they put that in. It may have decided to flow a lot heavier with the rains we've had lately.

The clay, gravel, and topsoil is not in final position yet, there's a big bare patch right behind the garage still that's boxed in a little. House on the west side, topsoil on the east and south, and gravel on the north side, so it's like a big catchment pit right now with a couple centimetres of water in it. It's on clay, so if it's draining at all, it's probably slipping right down the side of my foundation.

The lack of plants is a huge problem. One I can't rectify until the soil dries up and I get my garden and bushes taken care of. I can't even plant grass seed, I keep sinking in the mud.

The sump handled the rains pretty well. It was kinda iffy there for a while, but no harm done. I'm thinking a second pump, slower than the main, would still be a good idea. Let it run continuously at low speed, and preserve the main pump for the times the little guy can't handle it. Less wear and tear on the "emergency, must never fail omg" pump, and a drier foundation overall.

It could also be because of the high water table. My neighbour to the north, you guys may have noticed his place in some of my pictures, it's the green one, says the developer that sold the land parcels lied to us, and that there is standing water at 8 feet below the surface. Which, honestly, isn't difficult to believe, especially considering that he sunk some test shafts himself (he runs an Earth moving/septic company so he has the means to do so) and says he found it at 8 feet.

Really wishing my builder had remembered that I wanted the basement windows aboveground, that would have bought me half a metre or so.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, it's no tractor, but a tank is pretty close right?

I bought it to catch the rain (ha ha!).

I need 3 rain barrels and some pumps and hoses to reroute all the rain water to here, but I can't do that until the gravel pad is complete.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

I saw the words "Tractor" and "Tank" and immediately thought of ol' Killdozer.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

TheKub posted:

I saw the words "Tractor" and "Tank" and immediately thought of ol' Killdozer.

For those that missed the SA coverage here are a few links:
SAclopedia Entry
Goldmine Thread about the Granby incident.
First Post using the word Killdozer.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A scaled down killdozer is on my list of projects.

Not sure when I'll get to it. Maybe in a couple of years when I get all disgruntled at work.

attn: fbi and csis, hey guys, what's up? just kiddin eh?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

madlilnerd posted:

Ahem.
Man?

Everyone on the internet is assumed to be a man until proven otherwise; as a general rule, the more beautifully feminine an Internet Person claims to be, the more half-eaten bacon-flavoured waffles they've lost in the folds of their hideous man-flesh.

This being SA and not GBS or FYAD, you're pretty likely to be exactly who you say you are, though. Sorry on M_Gargantua's behalf. I totally figured it out from context. :razz:

Slung Blade, if you build a killdozer it needs to be all wrought-iron and hardwoods. More of a tracked Victorian Doomtrain engine, honestly. Bonus points if your design document is straight out of Pavane by Keith Roberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Splizwarf posted:

Slung Blade, if you build a killdozer it needs to be all wrought-iron and hardwoods. More of a tracked Victorian Doomtrain engine, honestly. Bonus points if your design document is straight out of Pavane by Keith Roberts.

Bet on it.

Also, the ceiling is fixed.

Going to need a couple more days to dry, but at least it's done.

Hmm, what's this?

Oh my, gonna be some wrought iron table projects coming my way soon. :woop: