Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I like the speed this is getting done. My family built our house seven years ago and it didn't go nearly as fast. I think it was mostly patience on our part, for cost reasons. We ended up getting 3x the house that we otherwise could have afforded by doing alot of work ourselves. I actually had a blast doing it, learned alot in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Will work for lessons in craftsmanship.

:h: Slung Blade, joining the fan club. But not for sexual reasons. Sexual favors though, maybe.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

e: oh, also, basement is unfinished and will remain so for eternity (I hope)

I don't see why. We "finished" our basement. Never added a ceiling, so its still not taxable as living space in our area. However its a full 15' bar, workshop, Theater, and general purpose room. All for like $5000 and me having some free time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

No really, I just want to have it as storage and general use. Maybe the odd LAN party. You can't have a LAN party in a nice room, it has to be a dark cement hole, it's part of the atmosphere.

Industrial tile and using fabric sheets to just cover the concrete does just the trick.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

madlilnerd posted:

I hope you get a massive greenhouse, solarium style with room to have afternoon tea amongst the early pea plants, jalapeņos and chitting potatoes. One can dream.

You must take this mans advice. House, to partially covered patio, to Solarium, to greenhouse. It looks stunning in my mind.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mephistopheles posted:

Funny... sure. But your timing is really inappropriate. Have some tact considering the guy just got some devastating news.
vvvvv

Humans use humor to lighten up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

Only thing holding me back is cost. With the shop I bought and the things I need for the house, I'm pretty much tapped out money wise.

I still have my modest reserve, and no debt beside the mortgage, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

So, gotta build up that bank account a bit first.

So does this mean you'll do work for commission?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

madlilnerd posted:

Your "goddamn sinking soil" comment is making me worried about subsidence- your beautiful house isn't just going to get swallowed up by the swamp, is it? :ohdear:

He'll just build a castle on top of it if it sinks. And if that sinks too, then you have a solid new foundation for another house.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Buy? Why buy when he can weld the sheet metal together himself? With an electric motor? And bling? DIY all the way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vindolanda posted:

Kate Upton Mayor SlungBlade is the SlungBlade SA deserves

SlungBlade deserves Kate Upton as Mayoral Concubine 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Aquaponics! The wave of the future!

Really you should just buy the plot next to you, no matter what you wind up using it for. Land is land. Although botany is fun.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Or more time and more money in an exciting setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ynBppcvKM

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Oh that gearbox and bearing. Sexy.

Did you do any calcuations on how much the whole thing is going to stretch when you heat it up? Looks like it might be around a quarter inch axially if the fire is nice and toasty. Gonna let it float on the back side?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That is a mayor I would vote for

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

Now, there's been 2 transmountain ralleys, Seat Safety Switch has (almost)monopolized my lifts, shop, and yard with no less than 5 cars, two of which he no longer owns, and I've been working on about 4 of my own as well. It's time to give this tired old nag some attention again.

Is this how used car dealer ships are born in Canada? Or is this more appalachian redneck lawn crops?

Its impressive how many projects you're juggling.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Congradulations! Awesome update for a dozen reasons.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Slung Blade, is there any chance of you restoring the image links in the earlier posts, so I can continue to live vicariously through you?

The earlier posts are safe in my memories but I second this notion for people who were off gallivanting in who knows what thread and missed this ride. It's been nearly 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Thats a very cool curtain rod.